ADVERTISEMENT

Can we snatch Raines away from Pitt?

And in actuality, recruiting at Pitt isn't as good as it was under Chryst. Pitt has some guys this year that literally no P5 school wants. They took Danielson's teammate with no-stars to make sure that they got Danielson, who has a mediocre offer list. There are a handful that are clearly MAC level players, and their offer sheets reflect that. The offensive line recruits for the last few years have dropped off significantly. Hamlin has developed severe question marks, and is now a safety, and he is nowhere near big enough to play safety. Looks like Ford is not qualified. There are no real linebackers in the pipeline. On and on and on. The only thing that keeps them afloat right now are the remaining offensive linemen from the Chryst era and the graduate transfers they've been scooping up. Even more ominously, they've essentially stopped recruiting the best players in the state except for the occasional western PA kids that can't be ignored.

For Pitt football, winter is coming, to coin a phrase.

Nuclear winter.

Believe what you want, fella. The results on the field will show that I am right. There are no Boyds or Johnsons or Bisnoswaty's in the pipeline. No underrated Conners. Few offensive linemen. Not a single QB that is showing anything, hence going after grad transfers every year.

Compared to Narduzzi, Chryst recruited like Bama.

And not only is the D too young, none of them are very good.

Reactions: daminals76
Believe what you want, fella. The results on the field will show that I am right. There are no Boyds or Johnsons or Bisnoswaty's in the pipeline. No underrated Conners. Few offensive linemen. Not a single QB that is showing anything, hence going after grad transfers every year.

"Compared to Narduzzi, Chryst recruited like Bama."

How can you believe the things you're typing? There's no possible way you just read the facts I posted and could say that without just blatantly trolling me.

I definitely wouldn't say we're getting out recruited by teams like Wake, NC St, Duke, UVA as well. So that puts as right around 7 or 8 in the conference. For Pitt to take that next step, we need to get around 4 and beat out VT, UNC, and Louisville.

I think the upward trend is pretty noticeable and you'd have to have Penn State glasses on to not see it. We no longer lose to the Akrons, Youngstown Sts of the world. We're now capable of beating any team in America on any given week as shown by the Clemson and PSU victories. Rome wasn't built in one day. Narduzzi still does not have his defense yet and his players to fill all of the positions. The ones he has recruited that are playing are very young. Next year and the year after will be years where we improve on the 8-4 record. I'd be satisfied with another 8-4 season this year.
But you're not beating those teams handily (see Youngstown State, Ga Tech two years in a row, Syracuse). And when Franklin had the same record two years in a row, he was a used car salesman, couldn't coach, on the hot seat. What would you Pitters have said if he would have gone 7-5 or 6-6 in his third year? Would you have said he didn't have his own players, he was trending upward? No, he would have been a failure. But Narduzzi is trending upward? Yeah, that's Penn State glasses. If your record is the same or worse in your third year than your in first, you aren't doing a very good job.

As a Pitt fan, I'm fine with the class.

The rankings system is going to be biased against it because they won't reach the 20 commit threshold. You can say 52nd or whatever we end up at, but it's irrelevant. Because if we would have another 3-4 kids in line with what we have, we would be in the mid-low 30s. Which is a solid, not spectacular, class for us.

We will never out recruit PSU, maybe the occasional year it will be close. It especially won't be close the next year or two with the year you guys had in 2016 (albeit Pitt beat Penn St on the field). There's a post on our free board that explains how recruiting has been much improved under Narduzzi than it was under Chryst. No longer are we recruiting guys with only MAC level offers. We're competing against the VTs, MSUs, and UNCs of the world and getting kids to commit with those offers. So you guys see 3 star and think it's the same, but it's really not. If you think that's just a biased opinion, read the post. Narduzzi has landed kids with about 150 more non-Pitt P5 offers than Chryst did in his 3 years.

Pitt doesn't have the resources of a football factory like PSU. My goal for the program is 8-9 wins a year, with the occasional double digit win year where we can make things interesting. We're not there yet, but Narduzzi has us on an upward trend. This year might be a bit of a down year, I think 7-8 wins is likely with all we have lost on offense and how young our defense is. So I don't expect Pitt to beat PSU this year like I did last year. There's a good chance it won't be close either. But that's why we're going to play the game. If we somehow win, what's the excuse going to be this year? Last year it was "we had a young team and we weren't playing well at the beginning of the year."

If you look close at Narduzzi's recruiting this year, he's actually landing most if not all of his top targets, and all/most of them have good offer sheets. That is why most are pleased with this years class. There's 4-5 players that might/should be set for bumps in the rankings to 4 stars as well, and once we land Raines and Bradley, we will have a handful of 4 stars so that narrative can end. And you may say "well how are all these guys going to get bumped up, not everyone can be a 4 star." They are 5.7 3 stars with good/great offer sheets, it's not hard to envision a few getting a tiny bump to that 4th star.

Penn St had a terrific year last year and in turn are bringing in a great recruiting class. I have a hard time envisioning that they reach the high hopes every Penn State fan has for this year (minimum 10 wins, possibly CFB playoff bound) with the tough games they have. @OSU, @NW, Neb, Mich, @Iowa, Pitt. The others will be cakewalks. It will be interesting to see how you guys follow up last year.

See you September 9th.

Good lord you talk to much. I did not waste my time reading your other posts because you are full of hot air, but you realize when you offer kids in February or later they aren't your top targets right?

Here is Pitt football recruiting in a nutshell

- miss on all top targets February until may
- send out additional offers
- convince low rated kid to join the class
- in June, local kids realize Pitt is their only decent offer that they CAN commit to.
- celebrate 3 star recruits throughout June
- land no one during the year because they are embarrassed to bring kids to games
- January land a couple kids that other teams process or sour on

You are 11th in the ACC and project to finish 52nd in the nation. Penn State was sanctioned and finished with the 43rd ranked class with 16 recruits in 2013

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2013

I'm not trolling you, my man. It's the absolute truth. Pitt only got Boyd and Johnson because of sanctions. If not for those, they would have been with us. You are recruiting nobody on the level of the kids leaving. Nobody. If you can't see it, so be it. The record for Pitt football over the next 4 years or so will convince you that I am quite correct.

In what world has recruiting gotten worse? Do you always tend to not think before you type? You have biased opinions, I have facts below. You picked out the only recruit we have without another P5 offer, and then painted our entire class with that same "MAC-level" brush. That's just not fair or accurate, and then you use the phrase "in actuality" like I'm not speaking the truth. Read below. You'll probably say how it's some "Pitt spin" or bias or just resort to insulting my intelligence. But below are facts.

"There was some discussion in the “Big Class” thread about why people are excited about this class so far, whether that excitement is misplaced, and whether Narduzzi’s recruiting is really that much better than what we’ve seen in the past. I keep a spread sheet that shows each recruit we’ve signed from 2013 to present broken down by class.

It shows each recruit’s final Rivals ranking and the number of Power 5 offers, other than Pitt, that each recruit had. As well as each class’s final overall Rivals team ranking and each class’s ranking based on average Rivals rating numerically so that I can see how we compare with and without focusing solely on the top 20 recruits, as Rivals does.

Personally, I place a lot of value on the offer sheet, especially within a star rating, but using both makes the most sense. If recruit A is rated a 5.7 high three star but only has 1 non-Pitt P5 offer and recruit B is rated as a 5.5 but has 8 P5 offers, I tend to think more of recruit B. That’s just me. Nothing against Rivals, but P5 coaches have more at stake and I trust their analysis a little more.

Turning to the numbers, Pat Narduzzi’s recruiting is quantifiably better than Chryst’s in terms of overall class rankings, by average numerical ranking, and more importantly, I’d argue, his classes are substantially better in P5 offers. It doesn’t just feel like recruiting has gotten better, it has.

Chryst’s first full class was 2013. Dorian Johnson, Tyler Boyd, James Conner, etc. The class had 27 recruits and Rivals pegged that class at #35 nationally. Not a bad start. Going by numerical Rivals ranking, the class drops to #51, though, despite Johnson being a 5 Star. 8 were rated as 5.6 or higher. Looking at P5 offers, things don’t get better. In a 27 member class, there were only 75 total non-Pitt P5 offers extended, 28 of which were for DJ and Boyd. 12 of the 27 recruits had zero non-Pitt P5 offers. 2 more only had one other P5 offer. 44% of the class had zero other P5 offers and nine were 2 star recruits.

Chryst’s second full class was 2014. Bookser, Grimm, Chris James, and Jennings were the four 4 stars in this 23 member class. Rivals pegged this class as #44 nationally and the numerical average ranking improves it a little to #41. 9 were rated as 5.6 or higher. In this 23 member class, there were only 78 non-Pitt p5 offers, 52 of which came from the four 4 stars. 8 of the 23 had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and 4 more only had one. 35% of the class had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and four were 2 star recruits.

The 2015 class was the transitional class between Chryst and Narduzzi. It only had 15 members, headlined by 4 stars Jordan Whitehead and Darrin Hall who both committed to Chryst. This class came in at #65 nationally for Rivals overall and improves to #45 when looking at average numerical ranking. 7 were rated as 5.6 or higher. Despite its small size, this class garnered 79 total non-Pitt P5 offers. Of which, 40 came from Stocker, Brightwell, and McKee who committed after Narduzzi took over. 5 of the 15 had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and 2 more only had one. 33% of the class had zero other P5 offers and five were 2 star recruits.

Narduzzi’s first full class, 2016, was headlined by five 4 stars, Damar Hamlin, Amir Watts, Kazeon Pugh, George Hill, and Ruben Flowers. This 24 member class came in at #29 overall in Rivals national rankings and #31 when looking at numerical average rankings. An impressive 16 of 24 were rated as 5.6 or higher and there were 176 total non-Pitt P5 offers extended this class. More than Chryst’s two full classes combined. There were 0 recruits in this class without at least 1 non-Pitt P5 offer and 3 who only had one – MacVittie (LSU), Hargrove (Rutgers), and Ford (Maryland). 0% of this class had no other P5 offers and there were only three 2 star recruits – Weaver (9 P5 offers), Jones (7 P5 offers), and Reynolds (4 P5 offers).

Narduzzi’s second class, 2017, was headlined by 4 stars Ford, Davis, and Reeves. This 23 member class was ranked #38 overall and improved to #30 when looking at numerical average rankings. 10 were rated as 5.6 or higher and this class received 140 total non-Pitt P5 offers. 3 recruits in this class had zero non-Pitt P5 offers, Darian Street, Cam Bright, and the Australian kicker, Christodolou. 5 recruits had only one offer, Butler, Carrigan, Sear, Pinnock, and Drexel. 12% of this class had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and there were only two 2 stars, Owen Drexel and the Aussie.

So far, the current 2018 class, is in line with Narduzzi’s first two. Of the 11 commitments so far, 8 are rated 5.6 or higher and only 5.6 rated DE Palmer does not have at least one other P5 offer. There is only one 2 Star – FB Symonds – and there are 82 non-Pitt P5 offers including, OSU, Georgia, MSU, and PSU. While this class will be small with only 4 or 5 more recruits added, other than size, this class will again be strong.

Comparing Chryst’s two full classes with Narduzzi’s – 153 total non-Pitt P5 offers for Chryst vs Duzz’s 316 for nearly the exact same number of recruits. Narduzzi’s not taking guys who no other P5 coaches wanted the way Chryst did."

You might try looking at the 247 COMPOSITE ratings instead of picking and choosing a service that makes it rosier than it is for pitt.

On 247, the only 4 star players in the 2016 pitt class are Hamlin, Hill and Camp. But yes, Flowers, Watts and a few others are definitely solid prospects.

And for 2017, other than Ford who does not seem to be showing up, the 4 star players are .89xx, very low 4 star players but nice prospects. But over half of the class is made up of .84xx and below players (3 and 2 star players). Really nothing for Duzzy to be putting on a resume for a "great" recruiter.

So far in 2018 Duzzy does not have a 4 star, and his top players are just mid 3 star talent. What might save him down the stretch is the fact that PSU, UM and OSU will not have room for all the NJ/MD/OH talent so some will fall to pitt. Such as Morgan, who had ties to PSU, visited PSU like it was his second home, but was down the PSU DE board and seemed to want to lock in a spot. So Duzzy should get some solid players coming down the stretch, better than Rutgers will be able to put together and not on a par to what Maryland has been getting which did not help them win many B10 games so far. But really not a group that will have much of a chance to end up with a top 20 team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bayou Lion
You might try looking at the 247 COMPOSITE ratings instead of picking and choosing a service that makes it rosier than it is for pitt.

On 247, the only 4 star players in the 2016 pitt class are Hamlin, Hill and Camp. But yes, Flowers, Watts and a few others are definitely solid prospects.

And for 2017, other than Ford who does not seem to be showing up, the 4 star players are .89xx, very low 4 star players but nice prospects. But over half of the class is made up of .84xx and below players (3 and 2 star players). Really nothing for Duzzy to be putting on a resume for a "great" recruiter.

So far in 2018 Duzzy does not have a 4 star, and his top players are just mid 3 star talent. What might save him down the stretch is the fact that PSU, UM and OSU will not have room for all the NJ/MD/OH talent so some will fall to pitt. Such as Morgan, who had ties to PSU, visited PSU like it was his second home, but was down the PSU DE board and wanted to lock in a spot. So Duzzy should get some solid players coming down the stretch, better than Rutgers will be able to put together and not on a par to what Maryland has been getting which did not help them win many B10 games so far. But really not a group that will have much of a chance to end up with a top 20 team.

I subscribe to a Rivals site, so I reference the rivals rankings.

Moving forward, you need to branch away from Rivals a bit. Just to cover your ass. The 247 composite ranking is the way to go.

But, I warn you, when you do that you won't like what you see.

In what world has recruiting gotten worse? Do you always tend to not think before you type? You have biased opinions, I have facts below. You picked out the only recruit we have without another P5 offer, and then painted our entire class with that same "MAC-level" brush. That's just not fair or accurate, and then you use the phrase "in actuality" like I'm not speaking the truth. Read below. You'll probably say how it's some "Pitt spin" or bias or just resort to insulting my intelligence. But below are facts.

"There was some discussion in the “Big Class” thread about why people are excited about this class so far, whether that excitement is misplaced, and whether Narduzzi’s recruiting is really that much better than what we’ve seen in the past. I keep a spread sheet that shows each recruit we’ve signed from 2013 to present broken down by class.

It shows each recruit’s final Rivals ranking and the number of Power 5 offers, other than Pitt, that each recruit had. As well as each class’s final overall Rivals team ranking and each class’s ranking based on average Rivals rating numerically so that I can see how we compare with and without focusing solely on the top 20 recruits, as Rivals does.

Personally, I place a lot of value on the offer sheet, especially within a star rating, but using both makes the most sense. If recruit A is rated a 5.7 high three star but only has 1 non-Pitt P5 offer and recruit B is rated as a 5.5 but has 8 P5 offers, I tend to think more of recruit B. That’s just me. Nothing against Rivals, but P5 coaches have more at stake and I trust their analysis a little more.

Turning to the numbers, Pat Narduzzi’s recruiting is quantifiably better than Chryst’s in terms of overall class rankings, by average numerical ranking, and more importantly, I’d argue, his classes are substantially better in P5 offers. It doesn’t just feel like recruiting has gotten better, it has.

Chryst’s first full class was 2013. Dorian Johnson, Tyler Boyd, James Conner, etc. The class had 27 recruits and Rivals pegged that class at #35 nationally. Not a bad start. Going by numerical Rivals ranking, the class drops to #51, though, despite Johnson being a 5 Star. 8 were rated as 5.6 or higher. Looking at P5 offers, things don’t get better. In a 27 member class, there were only 75 total non-Pitt P5 offers extended, 28 of which were for DJ and Boyd. 12 of the 27 recruits had zero non-Pitt P5 offers. 2 more only had one other P5 offer. 44% of the class had zero other P5 offers and nine were 2 star recruits.

Chryst’s second full class was 2014. Bookser, Grimm, Chris James, and Jennings were the four 4 stars in this 23 member class. Rivals pegged this class as #44 nationally and the numerical average ranking improves it a little to #41. 9 were rated as 5.6 or higher. In this 23 member class, there were only 78 non-Pitt p5 offers, 52 of which came from the four 4 stars. 8 of the 23 had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and 4 more only had one. 35% of the class had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and four were 2 star recruits.

The 2015 class was the transitional class between Chryst and Narduzzi. It only had 15 members, headlined by 4 stars Jordan Whitehead and Darrin Hall who both committed to Chryst. This class came in at #65 nationally for Rivals overall and improves to #45 when looking at average numerical ranking. 7 were rated as 5.6 or higher. Despite its small size, this class garnered 79 total non-Pitt P5 offers. Of which, 40 came from Stocker, Brightwell, and McKee who committed after Narduzzi took over. 5 of the 15 had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and 2 more only had one. 33% of the class had zero other P5 offers and five were 2 star recruits.

Narduzzi’s first full class, 2016, was headlined by five 4 stars, Damar Hamlin, Amir Watts, Kazeon Pugh, George Hill, and Ruben Flowers. This 24 member class came in at #29 overall in Rivals national rankings and #31 when looking at numerical average rankings. An impressive 16 of 24 were rated as 5.6 or higher and there were 176 total non-Pitt P5 offers extended this class. More than Chryst’s two full classes combined. There were 0 recruits in this class without at least 1 non-Pitt P5 offer and 3 who only had one – MacVittie (LSU), Hargrove (Rutgers), and Ford (Maryland). 0% of this class had no other P5 offers and there were only three 2 star recruits – Weaver (9 P5 offers), Jones (7 P5 offers), and Reynolds (4 P5 offers).

Narduzzi’s second class, 2017, was headlined by 4 stars Ford, Davis, and Reeves. This 23 member class was ranked #38 overall and improved to #30 when looking at numerical average rankings. 10 were rated as 5.6 or higher and this class received 140 total non-Pitt P5 offers. 3 recruits in this class had zero non-Pitt P5 offers, Darian Street, Cam Bright, and the Australian kicker, Christodolou. 5 recruits had only one offer, Butler, Carrigan, Sear, Pinnock, and Drexel. 12% of this class had zero non-Pitt P5 offers and there were only two 2 stars, Owen Drexel and the Aussie.

So far, the current 2018 class, is in line with Narduzzi’s first two. Of the 11 commitments so far, 8 are rated 5.6 or higher and only 5.6 rated DE Palmer does not have at least one other P5 offer. There is only one 2 Star – FB Symonds – and there are 82 non-Pitt P5 offers including, OSU, Georgia, MSU, and PSU. While this class will be small with only 4 or 5 more recruits added, other than size, this class will again be strong.

Comparing Chryst’s two full classes with Narduzzi’s – 153 total non-Pitt P5 offers for Chryst vs Duzz’s 316 for nearly the exact same number of recruits. Narduzzi’s not taking guys who no other P5 coaches wanted the way Chryst did."
I can't debate the other guys you said had P5 commitable offers from P5 schools in 2016, but you're glossing over a few things with MacVittie. LSU sent out a bunch of offers late in the game because they simply needed a warm body, and it's doubtful that the offer really committable because LSU was focusing on trying to flip few kids with bigger upsides and then focused on a local kid, Lindsay Scott, Jr. LSU was not a real offer unless Scott had picked someone besides LSU.

Looking at the notable safety depth chart for 2018:

Scott (RS SR)
Monroe (RS JR)
Petrishen (RS JR)
Taylor (RS SO)
Sutherland (RS FR)
Humphries (FR)

There are some wild cards in this depth chart too with Wade and Castro Fields having the ability to play CB and S.

For the sake of depth, PSU needs to get either Raines or Young to accompany Humphries in this class. Getting both would be icing on the cake. Losing one would not exactly be a big deal if we're recruiting for need.

Raines is a LB.... Young and Miner are the DB targets. Hopefully they hold onto Gordon, but he could flip. Humphries is an EE. Want Griffith real bad but he has ND ahead of PSU.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Scott (RS SR)
Monroe (RS JR)
Petrishen (RS JR)
Taylor (RS SO)
Sutherland (RS FR)
Humphries (FR)

There are some wild cards in this depth chart too with Wade and Castro Fields having the ability to play CB and S.

For the sake of depth, PSU needs to get either Raines or Young to accompany Humphries in this class. Getting both would be icing on the cake. Losing one would not exactly be a big deal if we're recruiting for need.

Taylor will be a RS JR in 2018.

Johnson, now at CB, looked good in the B/W game and is a very long and tall CB that also may end up as a Safety. He will be a RS SO in 2018.

With the 2017 class being heavy on DB's it's not a great need in 2018. And as Fall camp and the season goes along CJF will get a good feel for where the 2017 class DB's will eventually play and that may open or close a 3rd Safety scholarship spot on the 2018 class as well. As others have pointed out we really don't know if CJF is recruiting Raines strictly as a Safety or if he sees him growing into a LB.....

Once the next round of commitments (likely by late July resulting from the Lasch Bash) get the class into the upper teens it will be interesting to see where CJF focuses for the remaining spots in the class.

Reactions: 81b&w and TheGLOV

Scott (RS SR)
Monroe (RS JR)
Petrishen (RS JR)
Taylor (RS SO)
Sutherland (RS FR)
Humphries (FR)

And apparently things are looking very very good for Young. Taking Young over Raines is a no-brainer, although there's that Quip thing again.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Serious wishful thinking going on here... Chryst's recruiting was very poor compared to the talent Narduzzi is bringing in. You'll see that in these next few years.

Raines isn't coming to psu... don't get your hopes up
I don't have any hope for Raines to give up. I'm not sure but I don't think there will be much disappointment on this board if Raines commits elsewhere other than it would piss off the likes of you. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.:D (I yanked that expression outta the 50s)

Last edited:

There may well not be room for him anyhow after next week. He who hesitates, is lost.

I wonder if Raines will be influenced by the tremendous success Hamlin has had thus far, or if he's thrilled to play on the same team with Paris Ford. Oh, wait....

Psu fans only want Raines to drive Pitt crazy. Sanders and Wade were the key gets. Raines would be nice but nobody is going to lose sleep not having him as part of the squad. He can join the other Pitt DB's chasing after receivers headed to the end zone. You remember that sight last year, right?

Last edited:
Psu fans only wants Raines to drive Pitt crazy. Sanders and Wade were the key gets. Raines would be nice but nobody is going to lose sleep not having him as part of the squad. He can join the other Pitt DB's chasing after receivers headed to the end zone. You remember that sight last year, right?

Yes little Wade the 5ft 8 dynamo and Sanders the special teams ace... good luck with that...

Yes little Wade the 5ft 8 dynamo and Sanders the special teams ace... good luck with that...

Compared to what Pitt has? He he. Thanks for the good laugh. Wade's already squatting more than the entire Pitt defense, combined. But nice try, Pat.

He he he.

Compared to what Pitt has? He he. Thanks for the good laugh. Wade's already squatting more than the entire Pitt defense, combined. But nice try, Pat.

He he he.

Ohh i didn't realize he squatted so much... 5ft 8 won't matter at all in that case. Lmao

Hey "Little Brother" there is a nice thread on the pitt board about last years STAR recruit you might want to read. LOL

Is that about the kid who every single school in the country knew wouldn't qualify?

Reactions: PSU621

Then why were so many Pidiots hoping they went to Pitt? Looking forward to both rubbing your collective noses in the Beaver Stadium turf in September.

With Ford subtracted, what is the actual number of Pitt's recruiting ranking for last year? Is it over 50?

(Remarkably, now that I've looked it up, it puts them behind even Rutgers. I didn't know that was possible.) But they do come in at a resounding 44th.

Last edited:
The only reason Sanders is on special teams is because he's behind Barkley....which would be true for any other RB in the nation. When you have the best, you don't play someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT