ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 7/13/17

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Hello! What a great time to be a Nittany Lion! Right to it, here are the confirmed visitors I have seen or heard about coming to the Lasch Bash (or this week) not behind pay walls:

2018: Culpepper (13th & 14th), Mustipher, Hawkins, Smith, Oweh, Walker, Bradley, George, Anderson-Butts, Young, Raines, and Levis (camp on the 14th), Earlington

All the commits should be there. A few names (they may be coming and on pay wall lists) that I would like to see make the trip: Anoma (Mr. and Mrs. Mustipher offer him a ride!), Scruggs, Earlington, and Friday.

Looking at where we stand: Culpepper could be a commit before I even post this. Young seems like a lock, having filmed his commitment video on July 10th and now visiting this weekend, it would be very weird if he committed elsewhere. Let’s count those two in the over/under for the weekend and set it at 4. Mustipher probably isn’t quite ready to call it but I would put it on an outside chance. Anderson-Butts, now being recruited as an ATH (which is telling of the WR situation), looks to have a fully committable offer (not sure it ever wasn’t, but there were certainly rumors) and could pull the trigger this weekend. Daniel George has previously said he was looking to wrap up his recruitment in July and this could be it. If Levis earns an offer this weekend then that could be the QB solution. PS. We look to have Enis all the way (I love that people are saying silent verbal, oh the silliness of that phrase).

I think Parsons is supposed to be in Bama this weekend and possibly in OSU next weekend. If he does or does not go to OSU could be telling on where he stands with them. Honestly, this event is big for team building of the class and his recruitment has been very much about him (some don’t like that, I don’t really care bc people/kids do need to make the best decision for them), so I’m not sure this event would actually help bring him in. Walker is going to take visits and seems to not like that the analysts are saying that it’s predetermined that it will be PSU for him. I don’t think that’s a reflection on PSU at all, just that he doesn’t like reporters telling him where he’s going to go to school. There is a lot of smoke that Dotson is leaning back toward OSU and he will be there next weekend. I probably have him one category to high at this point. There probably won’t be room for him at PSU anyway, or maybe that smoke is why PSU is picking up pace with their other WR targets. Raines will be in this weekend and I got to think this one goes down to late in the year to avoid local backlash if nothing else. I think there is huge pressure on him to stay home, but man PSU is quite the draw right now for every player out there. Also, with his size and the DB class probably wrapping up with Young and Anderson-Butts as an ATH, that Raines will be looked at as more of an OLB prospect going into the season. Smith will always be a hard pull out of Ohio and Oweh’s interest in ND and OSU is concerning. It’s one of the reasons diversifying our DL bonds is important and getting Anoma or Friday on campus again will be big. Having Hawkins on again is great but I still think he’s Cinci bound.

Linebacker becomes really interesting here with 11 spots left in the class. You figure something like 2 more OL, 4 more DL (including Parsons), 2 WR, 1 ATH (Anderson-Butts), 1 DB (Young), and a QB (probably Levis if he impresses this weekend). That’s 11. PSU is not leading with Lamb, have cooled on Asamoah (who is leaning Pitt now), doesn’t have a shot at Simon, and then there is Raines. Where does that extra spot come from? Maybe only 1 more OL? We have room to back-count Kuntz and any other Early Enrollees, but getting to 85 was going to be tough with even 25. Maybe with all the LB camp work Parsons is doing he plays a stand up scrape blitz type roll that Bell really flourished in. Overall not a bad problem to have.

2019 visitors: 5* DE Harrison, 4* OL Wallace, 4* CB Hawkins, 4* ATH Hickman, UR RB Houston, 4* LB Stover, 4* LB Lee, 4* OT Keegan, 4* WR Hellams, UR ATH Thomas
2020: future 5* WR Fleming, DT Williams, LB Sherman

Commit Watch (if it ended today):
4* S Young, 4* DT Mustipher, 4* WR Enis, 4* WR George, 4* ATH Anderson-Butts, 3* DT Culpepper, 3* QB Levis

Very Good Chance:
5* DE Parsons, 4* OT Walker, 4* WR Dotson, 4* S Raines, 4* DL Smith, 4* DE Oweh, 3* Bradley

In The Battle:
4* DT Friday, 4* DE Anoma, 4* OG Scruggs, 4* LB Lamb, 4* DT Hawkins, 3* DE Earlington, 3* CB Montgomery, 3* Asamoah

Work Left To Do:
5* DE Henry, 4* CB Griffith, 4* LB Hollifield, 4* CB Tutt, 4* LB Simon, 4* WR Scates, 4* ATH Booker, 4* DT McNeill, 4* CB McKinley III, 4* OT White, 3* Eskridge, 3* ATH Hooker, 3* CB Williams, 3* LB Artis, 3* LB Bastida, 3* ILB Hoelscher

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* WR Smith, 4* TE Ruckert, 4* DT Sandidge, 4* DT Stills, 3* TE Pitts

Last edited:
Good stuff. A bit optimistic on a few, but good overall. Unless Lamb decides to come back this fall for a free trip for the parents...he gone. Who knows what is up with Parsons, but if Bama wants him, he'll have a new charger by the end of the summer and you can close the door there IMO as they know how to close on recruits like him. They'll feed the ego now and then Nick will tear him down once he arrives....watch out for them IMO. Dotson had PSU up there, but it seems more and more like he wants to be at tOSU. Raines apparently wants to stay home, but another visit this weekend won't hurt....problem is once he goes back he has to hear that same old crap from Nard Dog.

Reactions: Nittanylion930
Hello! What a great time to be a Nittany Lion! Right to it, here are the confirmed visitors I have seen or heard about coming to the Lasch Bash (or this week) not behind pay walls:

2018: Culpepper (13th & 14th), Mustipher, Hawkins, Smith, Oweh, Walker, Bradley, George, Anderson-Butts, Young, Raines, and Levis (camp on the 16th)

All the commits should be there. A few names (they may be coming and on pay wall lists) that I would like to see make the trip: Anoma (Mr. and Mrs. Mustipher offer him a ride!), Scruggs, Earlington, and Friday.

Looking at where we stand: Culpepper could be a commit before I even post this. Young seems like a lock, having filmed his commitment video on July 10th and now visiting this weekend, it would be very weird if he committed elsewhere. Let’s count those two in the over/under for the weekend and set it at 4. Mustipher probably isn’t quite ready to call it but I would put it on an outside chance. Anderson-Butts, now being recruited as an ATH (which is telling of the WR situation), looks to have a fully committable offer (not sure it ever wasn’t, but there were certainly rumors) and could pull the trigger this weekend. Daniel George has previously said he was looking to wrap up his recruitment in July and this could be it. If Levis earns an offer this weekend then that could be the QB solution. PS. We look to have Enis all the way (I love that people are saying silent verbal, oh the silliness of that phrase).

I think Parsons is supposed to be in Bama this weekend and possibly in OSU next weekend. If he does or does not go to OSU could be telling on where he stands with them. Honestly, this event is big for team building of the class and his recruitment has been very much about him (some don’t like that, I don’t really care bc people/kids do need to make the best decision for them), so I’m not sure this event would actually help bring him in. Walker is going to take visits and seems to not like that the analysts are saying that it’s predetermined that it will be PSU for him. I don’t think that’s a reflection on PSU at all, just that he doesn’t like reporters telling him where he’s going to go to school. There is a lot of smoke that Dotson is leaning back toward OSU and he will be there next weekend. I probably have him one category to high at this point. There probably won’t be room for him at PSU anyway, or maybe that smoke is why PSU is picking up pace with their other WR targets. Raines will be in this weekend and I got to think this one goes down to late in the year to avoid local backlash if nothing else. I think there is huge pressure on him to stay home, but man PSU is quite the draw right now for every player out there. Also, with his size and the DB class probably wrapping up with Young and Anderson-Butts as an ATH, that Raines will be looked at as more of an OLB prospect going into the season. Smith will always be a hard pull out of Ohio and Oweh’s interest in ND and OSU is concerning. It’s one of the reasons diversifying our DL bonds is important and getting Anoma or Friday on campus again will be big. Having Hawkins on again is great but I still think he’s Cinci bound.

Linebacker becomes really interesting here with 11 spots left in the class. You figure something like 2 more OL, 4 more DL (including Parsons), 2 WR, 1 ATH (Anderson-Butts), 1 DB (Young), and a QB (probably Levis if he impresses this weekend). That’s 11. PSU is not leading with Lamb, have cooled on Asamoah (who is leaning Pitt now), doesn’t have a shot at Simon, and then there is Raines. Where does that extra spot come from? Maybe only 1 more OL? We have room to back-count Kuntz and any other Early Enrollees, but getting to 85 was going to be tough with even 25. Maybe with all the LB camp work Parsons is doing he plays a stand up scrape blitz type roll that Bell really flourished in. Overall not a bad problem to have.

2019 visitors: 5* DE Harrison, 4* OL Wallace, 4* CB Hawkins, 4* ATH Hickman, UR RB Houston
2020: future 5* WR Fleming

4* S Young, 4* DT Mustipher, 4* WR Enis, 4* WR George, 4* ATH Anderson-Butts, 3* DT Culpepper, 3* QB Levis

Very Good Chance:
5* DE Parsons, 4* OT Walker, 4* WR Dotson, 4* S Raines, 4* DL Smith, 4* DE Oweh, 3* Bradley

In The Battle:
4* DT Friday, 4* DE Anoma, 4* OG Scruggs, 4* LB Lamb, 4* DT Hawkins, 3* DE Earlington, 3* CB Montgomery, 3* Asamoah

Work Left To Do:
5* DE Henry, 4* CB Griffith, 4* LB Hollifield, 4* CB Tutt, 4* LB Simon, 4* WR Scates, 4* ATH Booker, 4* DT McNeill, 4* CB McKinley III, 4* OT White, 3* Eskridge, 3* ATH Hooker, 3* CB Williams, 3* LB Artis, 3* LB Bastida, 3* ILB Hoelscher

I believe I read that Smith is originally from California so he might not be as tied
to Ohio as some think.

Good stuff. A bit optimistic on a few, but good overall. Unless Lamb decides to come back this fall for a free trip for the parents...he gone. Who knows what is up with Parsons, but if Bama wants him, he'll have a new charger by the end of the summer and you can close the door there IMO as they know how to close on recruits like him. They'll feed the ego now and then Nick will tear him down once he arrives....watch out for them IMO. Dotson had PSU up there, but it seems more and more like he wants to be at tOSU. Raines apparently wants to stay home, but another visit this weekend won't hurt....problem is once he goes back he has to hear that same old crap from Nard Dog.
Some posters at 247 seem to think that Urb is kind of 50-50 on Parsons these days. Character issues and going to Bama and not their FNL. But LJ is pushing for him. I read that some OSU posters think there may not be room for Dotson since they have a couple of WRs listed ahead of him.

You likely read the same thread, LaJolla. Does my info sound about right? I don't understand BMW's optimism regarding Parsons.

Some posters at 247 seem to think that Urb is kind of 50-50 on Parsons these days. Character issues and going to Bama and not their FNL. But LJ is pushing for him. I read that some OSU posters think there may not be room for Dotson since they have a couple of WRs listed ahead of him.

You likely read the same thread, LaJolla. Does my info sound about right? I don't understand BMW's optimism regarding Parsons.

I'd rather Parsons go to Alabama than OSU. Of course my preference is PSU.

I'll say two commits tops within a week from Sat. I hope I'm wrong.
SAB and Young have already committed just haven't made it public. Good chance with Culpepper this week, probably our first 2019 commit as well. There are also multiple 2018 recruits that are high on PSU that will be on campus and one or two of them could commit. So we could easily be looking at 4-5 commits this week.

2018: Culpepper (13th & 14th), Mustipher, Hawkins, Smith, Oweh, Walker, Bradley, George, Anderson-Butts, Young, Raines, and Levis (camp on the 16th)

2019 visitors: 5* DE Harrison, 4* OL Wallace, 4* CB Hawkins, 4* ATH Hickman, UR RB Houston

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Thanks for posting. It's always a good read.

Unless Lamb decides to come back this fall for a free trip for the parents...he gone.
Lamb is down to UCLA and ND per a Rivals article I read somewhere.
What I said in the main 2018 thread is that he probably will commit elsewhere, but an official with his parents could change his mind and if there is room for another LB in this class then it could be a flip situation.
Who knows what is up with Parsons, but if Bama wants him, he'll have a new charger by the end of the summer and you can close the door there IMO as they know how to close on recruits like him. They'll feed the ego now and then Nick will tear him down once he arrives....watch out for them IMO.

Parsons = "very good chance?" What did I miss? I wrote him off long ago.
Parson was on campus twice within a week, two or three weeks ago. Franklin has stayed all positive on this one. Adding Anderson-Butts and Young would give us a boost as well. I agree that Bama is probably the biggest threat, but I really do see this as the rare recommit situation (mind you we're going to need to play up to the high expectations we have this year). I maintain that saying nasty things about 16 or 17 year old kids on the internet isn't a good look. So, if you have a problem with the way he handled his recruitment, it's best not to say anything at all.

Last edited:
What I said in the main 2018 thread is that he probably will commit elsewhere, but an official with his parents could change his mind and if there is room for another LB in this class then it could be a flip situation.

Parson was on campus twice within a week two or three weeks ago. Franklin has staid all positive on this one. Adding Anderson-Butts and Young would give us a boost as well. I agree that Bama is probably the biggest threat, but I really do see this as the rare recommit situation (mind you we're going to need to play up to the high expectations we have this year). I maintain that saying nasty things about 16 or 17 year old kids on the internet isn't a good look. So, if you have a problem with the way he handled his recruitment, it's best not to say anything at all.

I love the work you put into this, same with Judge. I agree we should not be tweeting at recruits and the like, but I don't agree that we can't discuss recruits here....good and bad. Im not into anything personal like calling some kids dad a bum or something, but I think it is germane to a non-paying little penn state football blog to discuss the merits of a recruit both on the field and potentially in the locker-room. I get that the kids are kids and they will do and say weird things, but I do think certain recruits can be disrespectful to the process. No different that coaches and programs we knock on. If I have a problem with a committed recruit naming his dog Brutus, where I am suppose to discuss that issue? I don't think my wife would be too interested unfortunately. And look, if you think its unfair to publicize a kids disrespectful moments in his recruitment, then I would suggest the kid not do/say/and put things on social meeting and to reporters that are inflammatory or intentionally antagonistic to a fanbase or whatever. Many of these kids just sort of keep their recruitment close to the vest, when asked, they show appreciation to every university that has shown interest in them, they have a sense of humility and gratitude. Those are the guys penn state has typically recruited and I for one like it that way. If I think a kid doesn't fit our mold....nobody cares what I think, I get it, but I should be able to discuss it on a football blog no?

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

I'm taking the over if the O/U is 4. Yes, that's optimistic, but this includes any and all who commit from now on to the following weekend after the Lasch Bash!

I love the work you put into this, same with Judge. I agree we should not be tweeting at recruits and the like, but I don't agree that we can't discuss recruits here....good and bad. Im not into anything personal like calling some kids dad a bum or something, but I think it is germane to a non-paying little penn state football blog to discuss the merits of a recruit both on the field and potentially in the locker-room. I get that the kids are kids and they will do and say weird things, but I do think certain recruits can be disrespectful to the process. No different that coaches and programs we knock on. If I have a problem with a committed recruit naming his dog Brutus, where I am suppose to discuss that issue? I don't think my wife would be too interested unfortunately. And look, if you think its unfair to publicize a kids disrespectful moments in his recruitment, then I would suggest the kid not do/say/and put things on social meeting and to reporters that are inflammatory or intentionally antagonistic to a fanbase or whatever. Many of these kids just sort of keep their recruitment close to the vest, when asked, they show appreciation to every university that has shown interest in them, they have a sense of humility and gratitude. Those are the guys penn state has typically recruited and I for one like it that way. If I think a kid doesn't fit our mold....nobody cares what I think, I get it, but I should be able to discuss it on a football blog no?
No, I get it. I think there is a fair level of critiscism and an unfair level. I am really talking about that unfair level.

Last edited:
MP said he didn't even know OSU's mascot's name was Brutus.

Parson was on campus twice within a week, two or three weeks ago. Franklin has stayed all positive on this one. Adding Anderson-Butts and Young would give us a boost as well. I agree that Bama is probably the biggest threat, but I really do see this as the rare recommit situation (mind you we're going to need to play up to the high expectations we have this year). I maintain that saying nasty things about 16 or 17 year old kids on the internet isn't a good look. So, if you have a problem with the way he handled his recruitment, it's best not to say anything at all.
That I don't understand your optimism regarding him is hardly criticism of him. Thanks for the review.

We will upgrade Culpepper thanks to Rivals:
Judge Culpepper
Strongside defensive end
4 STARS

We will upgrade Culpepper thanks to Rivals:
Judge Culpepper
Strongside defensive end
4 STARS
Kid must be making quite the impression on the T-Shirt and Shorts tour........ and/or showing a lot of recent development and "projectability".

I didn't find his junior year "highlight tape" to be all that impressive (relatively to other "4Star" type prospects) but he seems to be claiming a lot of high-end offers.

Kid must be making quite the impression on the T-Shirt and Shorts tour........ and/or showing a lot of recent development and "projectability".

I didn't find his junior year "highlight tape" to be all that impressive (relatively to other "4Star" type prospects) but he seems to be claiming a lot of high-end offers.
He's added a ton of size to his upper body in the last year, when you compare pictures of him.

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Thanks for the summary.

I just don't see either Hooker or Pitts as potential recruits or having actual offers at this point in the process.... No way there is a 3rd TE and no way Pitts will want to play any position but TE. Hooker is not on a par talent wise with the other DB's being recruited.

Thanks for the summary.

I just don't see either Hooker or Pitts as potential recruits or having actual offers at this point in the process.... No way there is a 3rd TE and no way Pitts will want to play any position but TE. Hooker is not on a par talent wise with the other DB's being recruited.
Correct, I guess it's the time of year where I should add former interest category

Reactions: LionJim
Correct, I guess it's the time of year where I should add former interest category

Hooker looks to be going to a 2nd tier program, like pitt. oh-high-ya state hasn't offered even though he is a recent legacy.....

Thanks for the summary.

Hooker is most likely a last minute LB recruit if we strike out on everyone else.

Reactions: UNCPSUFAN
I am guaranteeing 30 2018 commits 5 star or higher and 10 2019 commits this weekend based on the posts here and the ability of posters and recruiting tea leaf readers and self proclaimed prognosticators.

I am just not sure where they are committing.

I am guaranteeing 30 2018 commits 5 star or higher and 10 2019 commits this weekend based on the posts here and the ability of posters and recruiting tea leaf readers and self proclaimed prognosticators.

I am just not sure where they are committing.
wet-blanket.jpg

At 6'0", 185 Hooker is not a LB.....

He's a CB, and CJF has CB's on a waiting list that he has actually offered already.....
He is too slow to be a DB. Adding 25 lbs in a strength and conditioning program isn't a big deal now a days. I don't think he is ideal, for either spot. However, if we strike out at LB? He could become a project at OLB.

After the dust settles this week, with the commits and the info on who actually showed up for the LB, an update on "where we stand..." will really come into focus for the remaining 2018 class spots......

Your "Commit Watch" contained the 4 position player commits, with Young possibly being a 5th tomorrow (the kicker came out of the blue, which kickers sometimes do....)

After the dust settles this week, with the commits and the info on who actually showed up for the LB, an update on "where we stand..." will really come into focus for the remaining 2018 class spots......

Your "Commit Watch" contained the 4 position player commits, with Young possibly being a 5th tomorrow (the kicker came out of the blue, which kickers sometimes do....)
Who didn't show? I hadn't heard of anyone bailing? or at least none of the big ones

Who didn't show? I hadn't heard of anyone bailing? or at least none of the big ones

I'm not a premium subscriber so I really did not hear a pre-LB accurate list of who was to attend. But it is my understanding that Enis, Raines, and Dotson were not there, for example. I don't read anything into that, just that those that were there were more likely to possibly move closer to becoming future Nittany Lions.... But with the distance that Enis has to go the get to PSU together with I believe a recent visit it might not mean much in his case....

I'm not a premium subscriber so I really did not hear a pre-LB accurate list of who was to attend. But it is my understanding that Enis, Raines, and Dotson were not there, for example. I don't read anything into that, just that those that were there were more likely to possibly move closer to becoming future Nittany Lions....
Got ya... it was Raines. I hadn't seen that previously

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT