ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft thread....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
May as well get it started.

I'm guessing on the positions for the first 4 picks for the Steelers (4 in rounds 1-3).

- OT (I'd love to see Olu in Black and Gold) but he's a L-OT and Steelers seem to be looking for a R-OT...
- C
- WR
- CB

Also believe the Steelers have a 50-50 chance of trading up (somewhat) or down (moreso) in the first round and possibly going for a Center instead of an OT. The Steelers new GM is a wheeler-dealer.

** Not just a Steelers thread, but we'll all likely respond towards our "home" teams.......

I'm guessing on the positions for the first 4 picks for the Steelers (4 in rounds 1-3).

- OT (I'd love to see Olu in Black and Gold) but he's a L-OT and Steelers seem to be looking for a R-OT...
- C
- WR
- CB

Also believe the Steelers have a 50-50 chance of trading up (somewhat) or down (moreso) in the first round and possibly going for a Center instead of an OT. The Steelers new GM is a wheeler-dealer.

** Not just a Steelers thread, but we'll all likely respond towards our "home" teams.......
Agree they move up to get the top center in the draft. Really need one as they have none on the roster, IIRC. And they have tried a couple players to replace Pouncey but have to find a quality center.

They can afford to move up since they signed two QBs, another top LB, and other positions.

They seem to be very good at finding good quality receivers in the middle rounds.

Last edited:
Agree they move up to get the top center in the draft. Really need one as they have none on the roster, IIRC. And they have tried a couple players to replace Pouncey but have to find a quality center.

They can afford to move up dunce they signed two QBs, another top LB, and other positions.

They seem to be very good at finding good quality receivers in the middle rounds.
I'm looking for 2 WR's to be among their 7 picks.

- C
- WR
- CB

I like the positions you laid out on the 1st 4 rounds. I've been begging for OL help for a couple of years now. They really wasted some picks lately IMO and the worst was their Pickett mistake. Been a Steelers fan from birth but I cannot get excited about the team since Tomlin won 1 with Cowher's players. It's been a gradual downhill from there towards mediocrity.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and WeR0206
I think the Steelers go WR in the first. I hope I'm wrong but that's a gut feeling. Completely agree with the top 4 you listed. I'm expecting late round WR and ILB as well.

I wouldn't be shocked though if they draft Milton or Rattler on Day 2/3 though. I don't think they believe their future QB is currently on the roster

I think the Steelers go WR in the first. I hope I'm wrong but that's a gut feeling. Completely agree with the top 4 you listed. I'm expecting late round WR and ILB as well.

I wouldn't be shocked though if they draft Milton or Rattler on Day 2/3 though. I don't think they believe their future QB is currently on the roster
I don’t think they go WR in the first, but I do think they’ll take 2 WR’s in this draft.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don’t think they go WR in the first, but I do think they’ll take 2 WR’s in this draft.
I hope you're right--I could see them falling in love Byran Thomas or Adonai Mitchell. There's no question we still need a #2 receiver. I'd much rather deal that pick for someone like Aiyuk if they want a WR but, regardless Thursday should be fun and I agree we'll have 2 new receivers by the end of the day on Saturday.

They can afford to move up dunce they signed two QBs, another top LB, and other positions.

They may not have to move up to get a Center. They like the Center from WVU and he could be available in rounds 2 and 3. I've read the Center from Duke is rated higher than the one from Oregon by many, and they likely won't both be gone by pick 20. The Steelers like Olinemen that can play multiple positions and some say that puts the Duke kid ahead of the Center from Oregon. But I'm believing the Steeler just want a Center, period. Someone to man the position for the next 10 years.

From what I've read they might have to move up to get an OT they like if they plan to take one in the first round.

Last edited:
I would rather take the best center in the draft than the 4th or 5th best WR but that's just me. Maybe having had Jason Kelce for umpteen seasons prejudices my judgment. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if the Eagles went with a center in the first round, so long as he can play guard too.

Reactions: Ski and 91Joe95
They may not have to move up to get a Center. They like the Center from WVU and he could be available in rounds 2 and 3. I've read the Center from Duke is rated higher than the one from Oregon by many, and they likely won't both be gone by pick 20. The Steelers like Olinemen that can play multiple positions and some say that puts the Duke kid ahead of the Center from Oregon. But I'm believing the Steeler just want a Center, period. Someone to man the position for the next 10 years.

From what I've read they might have to move up to get an OT they like.
Well, they need to pick a guy that plays center, not someone they think they can move to center. They have tried that at least twice and both were disasters.

Reactions: Ski and GregInPitt
Explanations of some trade down potential options........

OT, CB, C, WR
I really don't believe they will wait until the 3rd round to take a Center. It's really the most pressing need for them, although Centers usually don't get the draft value of OT's. But they really have to come away with one they believe will start this next season so they may have to over value one and take him rather than chance another team over doing the same and getting shut out. Maybe they trade down a couple spots in the 1st round and exchange a 3rd for a 2nd to be sure they get a Center in the 2nd.

I really don't believe they will wait until the 3rd round to take a Center. It's really the most pressing need for them, although Centers usually don't get the draft value of OT's. But they really have to come away with one they believe will start this next season so they may have to over value one and take him rather than chance another team over doing the same and getting shut out. Maybe they trade down a couple spots in the 1st round and exchange a 3rd for a 2nd to be sure they get a Center in the 2nd.
I personally would Take an OT or trade back if they dont get one and then take a C later in round 1 or early round 2. I just think that they believe they can wait and get one.

They can easily play Daniels at center if they don't find value in a center in the first or second.
Say a top tackle drops and they're determined to take a WR before the 3rd....what is better

Jones-Seumalo-Daniels-Herbig-Rookie (can flip Jones/Rookie if Olu falls for example)
Moore-Seumalo-Rookie-Daniel-Jones

I don't think center is as clear cut as you do--I know people love JPP but Barton is the only one I like at 20-26 and he could easily be gone.

Van Pran could easily compete to start if we took him in the third--arguably Limmer too

- C
- WR
- CB

A mock draft from today's Trib with a Penn State flavor:

1. (No. 20) Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2. (No. 51) Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida
3. (No. 84) Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
Passing on the consensus top three centers in lieu of the value at OT and WR, the Steelers force themselves into taking the next-best option. Nourzad developed into an all-Big Ten center after his 2022 transfer from Cornell.

3. (No. 98) Jeremiah Trotter Jr., ILB, Clemson

Surprise! The highly-instinctual son of the former Pro Bowl linebacker has shown requisite skills in coverage and in blitzing, catching Mike Tomlin’s eye. Even after adding ILB Patrick Queen, with Cole Holcomb’s cloudy injury situation the Steelers can’t let themselves pass on Trotter.

4. (No. 119) Jalyx Hunt, OLB, Houston Christian
6. (No. 178) Daequan Hardy, CB, Penn State
Along with center and receiver, slot/nickel is among the Steelers roster’s most gaping holes. Though they’ll likely address it via a bargain free agent, Hardy is a Penn Hills native with punt-return skills worth taking a flyer on.
6. (No. 195) Logan Lee, DT, Iowa

Does Hunter have the skill set to step in and competently contribute as the starting center for the Steelers on day1?

Passing on the consensus top three centers in lieu of the value at OT and WR, the Steelers force themselves into taking the next-best option. Nourzad developed into an all-Big Ten center after his 2022 transfer from Cornell.

Surprise! The highly-instinctual son of the former Pro Bowl linebacker has shown requisite skills in coverage and in blitzing, catching Mike Tomlin’s eye. Even after adding ILB Patrick Queen, with Cole Holcomb’s cloudy injury situation the Steelers can’t let themselves pass on Trotter.

Along with center and receiver, slot/nickel is among the Steelers roster’s most gaping holes. Though they’ll likely address it via a bargain free agent, Hardy is a Penn Hills native with punt-return skills worth taking a flyer on.

Does Hunter have the skill set to step in and competently contribute as the starting center for the Steelers on day1?
I wouldn't be upset with that

I think his future is at G.
The Steelers organization definitely covets position versatility from their OL so Hunter's ability to also play guard would be viewed as a positive.

But to avoid another Kendrick Greene type of situation, I would hope they'd have a plan B in case Nourzad would require further development.

Seeing today Steelers are trying to trade up with Denver (from 20 to 12) to draft Toledo CB Quinyon Mitchell and that the Eagles might be as well .

• Angry
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Seeing today Steelers are trying to trade up with Denver (from 20 to 12) to draft Toledo CB Quinyon Mitchell and that the Eagles might be as well .
I'll be very surprised to see them trade up at all, let alone 10 spots which would require a pretty big package of picks in return. This draft is deep at their positions of need. I'd rather see them trade down a couple of spots and pick up a 3rd or 4th for doing it, and then take a Center or OT, or even a WR.

But Kahn is a wheeler-dealer and he will likely have a surprise or two for us.

Reactions: bison13
Trade up and get the best center.
No--under no circumstance can you justify moving up from 20 to get a center
I don't believe the Mitchell rumors but if they're moving up with Denver that screams OT or WR to me. Hopefully OT.
Wouldn't be mad at all if they move up to take Olu.

P-G's final mock draft:

Round 1 (No. 20)​

OL Troy Fautanu, Washington (6-foot-4, 317 pounds) — There is a chance the Steelers might need to move up to secure Fautanu, but he would be worth it. Fautanu is a smooth athlete who can slide in at right tackle and allow the Steelers to move Broderick Jones to the left side of the line. He’ll turn 24 in October, but he’s ready to play now after making 30 starts for the Huskies. The bonus is his versatility, which could come in handy if there are injuries to others on the line.

Round 2 (No. 51)​

CB Max Melton, Rutgers (5-foot-11, 187 pounds) — The Steelers like to have position flexibility with their defensive backs, and Melton has experience as an outside corner and in the slot in his 40 career starts for the Scarlet Knights. Melton, who finished his college career with eight interceptions, ran a 4.39 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. The Steelers have an immediate need for a starter in the slot, but with Donte Jackson under contract for only the 2024 season, they need someone who can eventually play on the outside, too.

Round 3 (No. 84)​

WR Roman Wilson, Michigan (5-foot-11, 185 pounds) — Yes, the Steelers could pull the trigger on a receiver earlier, but the talent pool at the position is so deep this year they can afford to wait until the third round to get a quality player like Wilson. Tomlin took a liking to Wilson at the Senior Bowl, and while he did not take a top-30 visit to the Steelers, Tomlin and Khan did attend his pro day. Wilson had limited production because Michigan had a run-first approach, but his 4.39 40-yard dash time would give the Steelers two burners on the outside who can threaten defenses deep down the field.

Round 3 (No. 98)​

DL Maason Smith, LSU (6-foot-5, 306 pounds) — Smith has the prototypical size and length the Steelers desire in their five-techniques. A five-star recruit coming out of high school, Smith never played up to his billing with the Tigers, but he still has all the tools needed to be a force in the NFL. He just needs some time to develop. The Steelers can give him that time. Cam Heyward is under contract for one more season, and Smith can learn behind one of the best in the business before taking over for him in 2025.

Round 4 (No. 119)​

C Hunter Nourzad, Penn State (6-foot-3, 317 pounds) — When to draft a center is definitely something NFL teams struggle with. The Steelers certainly could get one earlier, especially if they believe Graham Barton is a special player, but they might have to wait until late in Day 2 or early on Day 3 to get one. Nourzad originally played for Cornell before transferring to Penn State, where he started 21 games over the past two seasons. By the way, Khan said for the umpteenth time on Monday that they have Nate Herbig and some others on the roster who can play center.

Round 6 (No. 178)​

S Tykee Smith, Georgia (5-foot-10, 202 pounds) — Smith doesn’t have the desired size for a starting safety, but he could have a role in the NFL as a hybrid safety/linebacker in sub-packages. Smith tested well at the combine, running a 4.46 in the 40-yard dash, and he has tenacity to make an early impact on special teams.

Round 6 (No. 195)​

ILB Jaylan Ford, Texas (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) — The Steelers don’t have an immediate need at inside linebacker because they signed Patrick Queen in free agency, but they do have to plan for life without Elandon Roberts, who is entering the final year of his deal. Ford projects as a run-stopping linebacker, and he can push Mark Robinson for a roster spot. Robinson was a seventh-round pick in 2022 and hasn’t developed as quickly as the Steelers had hoped in his first two NFL seasons.

Reactions: bison13
Lots of hand wringing over what the Steelers should do.

Meanwhile...Eagles fans living their lives, waiting to see what Howie does
brooklyn nine nine popcorn GIF

Reactions: jjw165

His stock has been on the rise.

Reactions: GregInPitt
No way they wait until rd 4 to pick a center.

And having someone in the roster ‘that can play center’ is a stupid statement. Center is the most important lineman, more than left tackle. You cannot win titles with someone ‘that can play center’. You need a real center.

No way they wait until rd 4 to pick a center.

And having someone in the roster ‘that can play center’ is a stupid statement. Center is the most important lineman, more than left tackle. You cannot win titles with someone ‘that can play center’. You need a real center.
Then way don't centers ever go early?
Jeff Hastings did a hell of a job moving from right guard in Detroit to center in Pittsburgh.
Pretending that Daniels or Herbig moving to center is stupid is truly stupid.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Lots of reports the Steelers are still trying to move up...unfortunately.

Saw this trade that I'd love but I doubt the Niners are onboard:

Steelers get: WR Brandon Aiyuk and 2024 1st round (31)
Niners get: WR Calvin Austin, 2024 1st round (20), 2024 3rd round (84) and a conditional 2025 pick (condition: Steelers signing Aiyuk long term)

Caleb on who he wants the Bears to draft at 9. He's smarter than I thought...
"I'd probably go Olu Fashanu because I know he'd put his life on the line for me, protecting me."
I think Olu falls out of the top 10 tonight simply because he's strictly a LT (Titans and Chargers both probably looking at a guy that can play both) and the depth at OT in this draft. I still think he made a huge mistake by returning but we'll see in a few hours.

Reactions: lazydave841
Olu likely had a great time with his teammates and friends during the last year at PSU and by the end of tonight will be negotiating a contract that will set him and his family up for generations. So I doubt he believes he made a mistake by returning to PSU to enjoy another year at PSU.

Although Olu has only played LT in games at PSU it doesn't seem reasonable to believe that's the only position he can play. And LT is the most valued OL position in football, so I also doubt that will work against him tonight. Would an NFL team expect PSU to play Olu at RT to prove he can play it at the expense of the PSU games he wasn't protecting PSU's QB's blind side?

Last edited:
Olu likely had a great time with his teammates and friends during the last year at PSU and by the end of tonight will be negotiating a contract that will set him and his family up for generations. So I doubt he believes he made a mistake by returning to PSU to enjoy another year at PSU.

Although Olu has only played LT it doesn't seem reasonable to believe that's the only position he can play. And LT is the most valued OL position in football, so I also doubt that will work against him tonight.
It's always a mistake to return to school. If he had fun great but it doesn't alter it was a bad financial decision. He's losing a year before FA so no amount of NIL can offset that.

All reports are he could slide because of the lack of versatility. Ideally teams ignore that because you're right LT should be the most valued but Latham likely goes before him. And Alt. Maybe others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT