ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft thread....

Interesting how we all want large 315 lb+ DT's on PSU's roster. However, there have been 8 drafted so far in the first two rounds and 7 of the 8 are between 291-306 lbs. Sounds like the weights of a bunch of guys on PSU's roster. The 8th DT is, in fact, a truly big man at 366 lbs. I would take him, too.
IMO, tackles got too big. So now a key player is the edge rusher. Usually guys that are smaller but extremely quick, like Chop. They can also duck under the arms of tackles and get free. The last few years such edge rushers have been wreaking havoc on opposing pass offenses and QBs. And a lot of QBs have been injured.

Perhaps the NFL is now countering that with lighter, quicker tackles. Seems to make sense.

Reactions: proud2bpsufan
My son sent me a video of Frazier's plays against PSU last season. Lots of plays he didn't pick up anyone to block. And a good many plays where the PSU DT's pushed him back into the pocket at a pretty fast rate.

Not too impressive. Hope that's not his best stuff....... What do you guys think??

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
Meh, I'd rather they find a skinny speed demon at WR to complement Pickens' size and deep threat.
Well, that's who they took.

Tomlin was all over him at the Sr. Bowl, I believe. Got the CB from Toledo to match up with him a number of times. And some thought it was to test the CB, but looks like he really wanted to see what Wilson could do against the top CB in the draft. Wilson ran 4.39 at the combine.

Maybe they take a taller WR with one of their 6th round picks......

CB at 98? Or possibly DL or even another WR.

Last edited:
I have an Ohio State buddy here at work. I asked him that this morning and he told me that surely Penn State will have more players drafted than Ohio State. That is because almost everyone at OSU who could come back for next year did come back. Many could have opted for the draft and gotten drafted but decided to stay another year. The incentive is that they are convinced they will be undefeated next year and win the national championship. I have read articles that say they clearly have the most talent in the country.
Yeah, most of the OSU players that could have been drafted are returning .....they might have the most talent in the country including 10 out of 11 defensive starters returning. If they can ever figure out the OL, they could win it all. This could be their most stacked team in decades. They also killed it in the Portal.

Last edited:
he seems a little light to hold up against the run

Ravens are gonna do him like they did Oweh: make him the edge rushing Outside 'backer in their 3-4 instead of a hand in the dirt 4-3 DE (which he probably is a touch light for).

He didn't test off the charts which is why he fell where he did, but he could have a good career there. The draft people seem to think the Ravens are disappointed in Oweh, but I don't follow them closely enough to know.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I'm surprised that Theo Johnson didn't go in the 3rd round. Probably will now go in the 4th. Wallace went earlier than most expected. We'll probably see Jacob's, King, Dixon and Hardy go in the late rounds.

Theo should go in the 4th, perhaps no later than the 5th. Just a matter of when the teams who love him decide its time or a run of TEs begins and forces somebody's hand.

Looking at the "best available lists", I'm shocked how far our DBs have fell. Honestly, they all 3 could go anywhere or could end up UDFAs.

Jacobs and Nourzad seem like sure fire Day 3s, but I don't know that for sure either.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
LB Payton Wilson from NC State could turn out as a great 3rd round choice for Steelers.

He's fast and instinctive, makes a ton of tackles. Previous injury history an issue?
Yeah he doesn't have a right ACL. Played without it though so it's just a concern of how long he lasts. Great value like with Roman Wilson. All their picks other than Frazier were great value and Frazier fills a need and should start so hard to complain assuming Fautanu can play RT

Looks like CB in the 4th for the Steelers. There are still a good number of taller, longer CB's available before the start of Day 3.

Blurb on ESPN says that the Steelers had two lower round DT's in for visits, Northern Iowa DT Khristian Boyd (#155 overall) and Mississippi State DT Jaden Crumedy (#204 overall), so it's reasonable to assume they will take one of the two in the 6th round.

WR best available is getting slim, if they are thinking another WR in the 6th.....

Congratulations to Theo Johnson! The 107th pick is a very good spot especially considering Theo’s career was hampered by Yurcich’s disastrous offense schemes and play calling.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Steelers surprise with another OL in the 4th, OG Mason McCormick from S. Dakota St. Really reconstructing the oline for 2024 and beyond.

Guess they will just sign the PSU CB's that don't get drafted as free agents.......

I'm looking for Theo to be one of the big sleeper picks of this draft. He really has elite size, speed and athleticism and could be a top 10 TE in the NFL for the next 10 years.

Last edited:
These foreign fans should just announce the picks in their native tongues like the Steeler fan did. At least they would appeal to people in their home country where the NFL is trying to expand their market, and someone could actually understand them.

Looks like the NFL is not as impressed with the 2023 PSU CB's as we may have been led to believe.... They were very experienced but with the 2 transfers and the young guys PSU may have better athletes at CB going forward.

Hope King, Dixon and Hardy find some love in the 6th and 7th rounds!!!

Steelers get their DL at 178 at the beginning of the 6th round, Logan Lee from Iowa, 6'5", 281 lbs. Looks like the body type they groom for DE in the 3-4.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Looks like the NFL is not as impressed with the 2023 PSU CB's as we may have been led to believe.... They were very experienced but with the 2 transfers and the young guys PSU may have better athletes at CB going forward.

Hope King, Dixon and Hardy find some love in the 6th and 7th rounds!!!
Yea thank God they sat out the bowl game to get drafted this late.... lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT