ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft thread....

I don't disagree but you need a top six to win. There is a greater probability that a top physical talent could be successful, you also have the Brady's and Purdy's that weren't expected to be good. Penix could well end up being the pick of the draft. The falcons had him the second best QB in the draft and never thought he'd be there. I also have to say that the value of the draft has diminished since the Cap and Free Agency. Teams can fill holes without drafting players so drafting a young QB at 1, if he pans out, allows you to use that cap space until he gets his first FA contract.

Specifically to your point on Mayfield and that draft...it went like this:

1. Mayfield - The team sucked and they felt they needed a hard nosed kid, one that embraced the caos and not a premadonna. They had Darnold #2 as All was from a small school (Wyoming).
  2. Darnold - he ended up being the second worst of the lot (3)
  3. Allen (7)
  4. Rosen (10)
  5. Lamar Jackson (at 32)
today, you'd draft Allen, Jackson, Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen. Interestingly, not a QB taken after 32 until Rudolf got picked at 76 in the 3rd round.

The only point here is that it is a crap shoot. You get a kid that has a strong enough arm to hit all the routes and the rest is a complete gamble.
No knock on Mayfield. I like him and he’s good enough to win with a strong team around him. My point is you can’t continue to pick a Zach Wilson with the number two overall pick and then trade him for a 6th round pick before his contract is even up. And you sure as hell can’t pick these backups in the first half of the first round while allowing future pro bowlers to get snapped up by your competitors. That’s why some of these teams never have any success to speak of and others seem to make a run every couple years.

No knock on Mayfield. I like him and he’s good enough to win with a strong team around him. My point is you can’t continue to pick a Zach Wilson with the number two overall pick and then trade him for a 6th round pick before his contract is even up. And you sure as hell can’t pick these backups in the first half of the first round while allowing future pro bowlers to get snapped up by your competitors. That’s why some of these teams never have any success to speak of and others seem to make a run every couple years.
Yep, I agree with all of that. ATL thinks Penix will be a star and they'll have him for a decade or more. Cousins had $90m in guaranteed money. I'll be that they trade him or cut him after next season. Somebody will believe they are a good veteran QB short of a super bowl and shell out the money.

I mean, his job is to literally run the league on behalf of the owners. They are his bosses.
I know. Guys like Pete Roselle and David Stern had a spine and vision for the league. I imagine Godell just says “yes sir” all day when Jerry Jones calls.

It's crazy that that collection of talent never made it to the Championship game, and that school hasn't even won a Big 10 Championship since the Covid season.
Was reading that Michigan could break the NFL draft record of 15 by Georgia in one draft and OSU could very well top that next year with all of the OSU players that chose to return in 2024. OSU is absolutely loaded in 2024 but will they also have a defense that plays a role? We'll see

Those Michigan and OSU teams were uber talented the last 2 or 3 years but the biggest difference was the Michigan OL and they've lost their top 6 OL in 2024.

And yes, you're correct, the OSU-NFL WR numbers are staggering but it doesn't matter if you don't have a QB to get it to them and especially an OL to protect a QB. He!!, OSU was driving for the winning TD against Michigan last year when, true to form, their OL broke down causing McCord to throw that game deciding interception.

Last edited:
Nick Saban said he wanted him to enter the portal and would have been his #1 prospect had he entered it. He decided to stay at Toledo for relationships and didn’t take the NIL money. 💰
Sounds like Saban admits to tampering with another school's roster. We all know this is happening but isn't it against the rules? To flat out admit that you were breaking the rules after the fact seems to be flaunting that there are really no rules anymore.

Sounds like Saban admits to tampering with another school's roster. We all know this is happening but isn't it against the rules? To flat out admit that you were breaking the rules after the fact seems to be flaunting that there are really no rules anymore.
If you watch the video, the kid was never approached by Alabama or Saban. In the broadcast, Saban implied was too talented for Toledo and was waiting for him to enter the portal. But the kid never did enter the portal. The fact that Saban was waiting to see if he'd portal out, was a surprise to him.

You know what I think 🤔. Just hear me out for a moment. Saban, not only tampered with Toledo’s roster, he tampered with the tow truck operator who threatened force against Abdul Carter. Nick probably hired a private detective 🕵️ who was able to ascertain that Abdul likes to hang out late night at a buddy’s apartment and always illegally parks his car there. Nick payed off a towing service to target Carter one night and set him up for an assault charge in the process. Most likely, Saban recommended to the tow truck driver to plant a tire iron in the back of the truck 🛻 just keep things interesting 🤨 if Carter wanted to push his weight around. And the rest is history.

No. But seriously 😐. In the words of 50 Cent…

you-cant-read-between-the-lines-curtis-james-jackson-iii.gif

If you watch the video, the kid was never approached by Alabama or Saban. In the broadcast, Saban implied was too talented for Toledo and was waiting for him to enter the portal. But the kid never did enter the portal. The fact that Saban was waiting to see if he'd portal out, was a surprise to him.
It was stated above that Saban "wanted him to enter the portal". I didn't watch the video. Perhaps I shouldn't actually pay attention to what people write here since precision of language is apparently a rarity.

To me, "wanted" him to enter the portal indicates that they on some level had communicated about this and it was what Saban wanted. It is different than saying that Saban "wished" or "was hoping" that he would enter the portal.

Reactions: Obliviax
Will Penn State end up with more 2024 drafted players than Ohio State?
I have an Ohio State buddy here at work. I asked him that this morning and he told me that surely Penn State will have more players drafted than Ohio State. That is because almost everyone at OSU who could come back for next year did come back. Many could have opted for the draft and gotten drafted but decided to stay another year. The incentive is that they are convinced they will be undefeated next year and win the national championship. I have read articles that say they clearly have the most talent in the country.

Reactions: royboy
You definitely need a top quarterback, let’s just say top six. What are the chances that these 6 guys will be the top 6 in the league? I’m going to go way out on a limb and say… absolutely zero. They’ll be lucky to get 1 or 2 who are good enough and I’d say Penix has a good or better chance than anyone else. I think you are proving my point. 2021 5 QBs in the first 15 and only Trevor Lawrence was any good. For every Baker Mayfield there are Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. Mayfield should have been in the second half of the first round, not #1. Most of these quarterbacks should not be taken in the first round because they will end up being backups and you have missed out on a pro bowl player at another position.
Kenny Pickett is the poster boy for first round busts. He should have been a fifth rounder at best. Two years from now he will be a third string backup in the USFL.

Reactions: 91Joe95
It appears as if Detroit is making a comeback, which is good to see.

Also, this spectacle most likely will be in Pittsburgh either in 2026 or 2027; it's in GB next year.
it was a big success when it was in CLE a few years ago. Sadly, it was throttled due to COVID concerns.

It appears as if Detroit is making a comeback, which is good to see.

Also, this spectacle most likely will be in Pittsburgh either in 2026 or 2027; it's in GB next year.
As someone who used to make trips to Detroit every year I had a different take. I was going to say they had nothing better to do than maybe waiting to get mugged. I will say Detroit has committed fans even when their teams are bad.

Reactions: Obliviax
As a Bears fan I'd like to thank the Falcons for enabling us to draft Odunze. What a boneheaded pick after signing Cousins. Lots of pieces fell into place for Chicago to allow them to build a hell of a roster of skill position players, and arguably one of the top WR groups in the NFL. If Caleb works out, of which I'm not convinced yet, the Bears are going to be very dangerous and will FINALLY have their 4000 yard, 30 TD quarterback.

As someone who used to make trips to Detroit every year I had a different take. I was going to say they had nothing better to do than maybe waiting to get mugged. I will say Detroit has committed fans even when their teams are bad.
Agreed. The city is still a mess. It has some nice suburbs.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
What will the Steelers have to give up to move up enough in the 2nd round to get the Center Jackson Powers-Johnson??

Do they prefer him to Zach Frazier from WV?

Is it reasonable to stay patient and expect one of them to be available?
From what I heard this morning on one of the local sports radio shows, there's a good chance that at least one of them will be available when they pick at 51 based on other teams' needs. However, if they want, they do have the capital to trade to move up.

Reactions: royboy
It was stated above that Saban "wanted him to enter the portal". I didn't watch the video. Perhaps I shouldn't actually pay attention to what people write here since precision of language is apparently a rarity.

To me, "wanted" him to enter the portal indicates that they on some level had communicated about this and it was what Saban wanted. It is different than saying that Saban "wished" or "was hoping" that he would enter the portal.
Not sure if it was relevant in this case, but Saban started his head coaching career at Toledo and won the MAC title in his only year there, then went to the pros himself, as defensive coordinator for Bill Belichick at Cleveland.

Maybe Saban related to the story? Or was he thinking of Alabama and how they could have used Mitchell?

As a Bears fan I'd like to thank the Falcons for enabling us to draft Odunze. What a boneheaded pick after signing Cousins. Lots of pieces fell into place for Chicago to allow them to build a hell of a roster of skill position players, and arguably one of the top WR groups in the NFL. If Caleb works out, of which I'm not convinced yet, the Bears are going to be very dangerous and will FINALLY have their 4000 yard, 30 TD quarterback.
I want to see that before I believe it. I'm from Chicago and a Bears fan and I think we both know that the organization has been a QB graveyard over the last 35 years or so no matter who they draft. Hope you're right but.......

I want to see that before I believe it. I'm from Chicago and a Bears fan and I think we both know that the organization has been a QB graveyard over the last 35 years or so no matter who they draft. Hope you're right but.......
Oh I'm not sold yet either, but Caleb probably has the best set of weapons at his disposal of any Bears QB, maybe ever.

Do they prefer him to Zach Frazier from WV?

Is it reasonable to stay patient and expect one of them to be available?
Yep, and how far below those two do they have Nourzad.

If they have JPJ and Frazier pretty close, one of two getting picked may be what prompt a move to do a move up to get the other one.

I've caught a cold so I'll probably be just sitting here watching it play out.....

Steelers made a great pick. They could have made a similar OL pick two years ago but threw their first round pick in the garbage by taking the useless Pickett.

I hate the way the Steelers over draft qb's.

this is funny. So, apparently, CJF was at Olu's for his selection by the J-E-T-S and then drove over to Chop's house. he gets there just in time for Chop to be selected by Miami. Cool on CJF to do the hustle. He's obviously got a great rapport with them.

He probably flipped a coin on which one to go to first.

Coin Flip GIF

I hate the way the Steelers over draft qb's.
They didn't over draft Big Ben. He was a steal at #11 in 2004, and it's likely 50-50 at best if any of the 6 QB's chosen yesterday in the top 12 of the first round will have a comparable career to Ben. Half of them will likely be traded in 3 or 4 years for 7th round picks..........

Big Ben went 14-1 as a Rookie, won Rookie of the Year, and 2 Super Bowls. I thought when the Steeler took Picket that Picket was the best of a below average QB class, but obviously the Steelers have pretty quickly admitted their mistake and I give them credit for clearing the QB room and starting anew, even if it is with not exactly brand new QB's. If these moves don't work out we may see the Steelers do what they have to next year to draft another QB.

Last edited:
So far so good. Atlanta must really like the Clemson DT they took at 35 as according to the experts he was more of a 3rd round guy, and all the WR's at the top of the 2nd. No Centers taken yet, but the WR's selection may be slim when the Steelers go for one....

Teams that ESPN has listed as needing a Center in their top 5 positional needs:
Buffalo
Carolina
Dallas
Denver
Seatle
SF
And it seems none of these team pick before the Steelers pick #51, with the 39th pick now in. But lots of trades seem to be happening.....

Last edited:
So far so good. Atlanta must really like the Clemson DT they took at 35 as according to the experts he was more of a 3rd round guy, and all the WR's at the top of the 2nd. No Centers taken yet, but the WR's selection may be slim when the Steelers go for one....
I feel like the WRs flying off the board will force the Steelers hand to go WR. I still don't believe they're determined to get an early round center. Ideally, they're trading a 3rd for Courtland Sutton and JPP falls but...

I feel like the WRs flying off the board will force the Steelers hand to go WR. I still don't believe they're determined to get an early round center. Ideally, they're trading a 3rd for Courtland Sutton and JPP falls but...
It might, but I still believe they take the Oregon Center if he's still there. They likely have scouted and have their eyes on a couple 3rd thru 6th round WR's. CB's flying off the board now. It seems to go in runs. Already some DT's. Edge and interior OL yet to go much as well. Especially edge for how important pass rushing is now.

It might, but I still believe they take the Oregon Center if he's still there. They likely have scouted and have their eyes on a couple 3rd thru 6th round WR's. CB's flying off the board now. It seems to go in runs. Already some DT's. Edge and interior OL yet to go much as well. Especially edge for how important pass rushing is now.
Agree--I do think the edge rushers were lacking in this draft
I'm hopeful Malachi Corley comes off the board soon--feel like he might be our target if Powers is gone

Huh oh.... Raiders take the Oregon Center to play OG......

Time to get on the phone Steelers.....

Maybe they do go WR in 2nd and get one of the 2nd tier Centers in the 3rd. But then again, catching a football can't be as hard as the PSU WR's make it look.....

EDIT: Steelers get their Center. Zach Frazier from down Hoopie !!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT