ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Carter Starocci Confirms He is Returning to Penn State

I'll save the both drama and surprise for next year, then you're talking.

Not to come across as glib, but I thought this was a done deal a while back. 2025 and a chance at being the only 5x national champion, EVER, never to be repeated. That may change some ironclad plans. Let's get #4 first, then MMA may have to wait.

Reactions: Ski
So, is he cutting to 74kg or bumping to 86kg during the season to try and qualify for the Olympic trials OR is he going all in on winning the NCAA's and qualifying that way. If he drops or bumps during the season it will be tough. The Bill Farrell is a +2kg so he would only need to get down to 167.5 lbs

Last edited:
So, is he cutting to 74kg or bumping to 86kg during the season to try and qualify for the Olympic trials OR is he going all in on winning the NCAA's and qualifying that way. If he drops or bumps during the season it will be tough. The Bill Farrell is a +2kg so he would only need to get down to 167.5 lbs
Would have been a great question, along with “are you fully healed up”?

Is Bill Farrell going to be JUST oly weights this year?

Last edited:
Given that Arnold just certified at 197, he might not have the chance...

I have read he is going down, but he looks like 7% body fat to me. I don't see him being successful sucked down against the competition he will face. Brutal. Next Oly cycle will be optimal unless he is full MMA by then.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Were they supposed to wrestle somewhere?

I know that they've already wrestled at U17 trials, last year:

Also, that bracket was pretty crazy.

I believe there were rumors about Who’s #1

Edit - I was wrong. I believe the rumors were Angelo Ferrari and Ryder meeting, but Angelo went 170. I don’t think Flo ended up having a 180ish match

I remember seeing Zack's name on a preliminary list but I forget who the other guy was. Was it actually Gabe Arnold?
No. Had him mixed up with someone else. There were even rumors Ryder and Ferrari would meet as I noted above.

Question:
A. Did I miss something?
B. Are you confusing Arnold w/ Franklin?
C. Am I crazy?
D. A & C above?
E. Has Arnold taken a page from the Alleged Off Season Cenzo?

197? Are we sure which Arnold we are taking about here?

Who they think they're getting:

arnold-schwarzenegger.gif

Does that mean he can't wrestle below there all season or can he get re-certified? If the former, what implications does this have regarding their plans to have AJ in the mix?

Does that mean he can't wrestle below there all season or can he get re-certified? If the former, what implications does this have regarding their plans to have AJ in the mix?
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding he isn't "certified" at 197. When we was certified the weight he weighed in at would have qualified him to wrestle at the 197 weight class (weighed in over 184 but under 197.1). Let's just say he weighed in at 190. He is allowed to lose up to 1.5% of 190 per week or 2.85#/week. So if he weighed in for certification he could wrestle 174 in 6 weeks (15/2.85=5.26 weeks). The actual certified weight class would be calculated based on his weight at certification and his body fat at certification. That information isn't available on the Track Wrestling profiles for us non coaches.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding he isn't "certified" at 197. When we was certified the weight he weighed in at would have qualified him to wrestle at the 197 weight class (weighed in over 184 but under 197.1). Let's just say he weighed in at 190. He is allowed to lose up to 1.5% of 190 per week or 2.85#/week. So if he weighed in for certification he could wrestle 174 in 6 weeks (15/2.85=5.26 weeks). The actual certified weight class would be calculated based on his weight at certification and his body fat at certification. That information isn't available on the Track Wrestling profiles for us non coaches.
Correct.

I was just making a bit of a joke at Arnold’s expense. He’s a bit, uh, rounder than the average 174lb wrestler, at this point in the season.

Reactions: slushhead
Correct.

I was just making a bit of a joke at Arnold’s expense. He’s a bit, uh, rounder than the average 174lb wrestler, at this point in the season.
Ok, cool, that’s what had me confused. I hadn’t seen anything to lead me to suspect he’d ever wrestle above 174.

I’d want him to go for #5 if only to pulverize Gabe Arnold a few times.
Well, if Jaws is not reinstated this year (though it sounds like NCAA will change the rule in a few weeks) ...

"As for what this means for the Hawkeyes in the short term, they'll be without two high-experienced wrestlers at the 174 pound and 184-pound weight classes. Likely to fill their roles on Nov. 4 against California Baptist is freshman Gabe Arnold for Brands and Aidan McCain for Assad."

Not the most humble, regretful or 'owning' your shit interview I have ever heard. That said one would think the NCAA could have wrapped this up in July.

Well, if Jaws is not reinstated this year (though it sounds like NCAA will change the rule in a few weeks) ...

"As for what this means for the Hawkeyes in the short term, they'll be without two high-experienced wrestlers at the 174 pound and 184-pound weight classes. Likely to fill their roles on Nov. 4 against California Baptist is freshman Gabe Arnold for Brands and Aidan McCain for Assad."

Oh please let that happen. Carter is not a Iowa high schooler - that will be made clear

Reactions: El-Jefe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT