ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Starocci's injury - news, updates, and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still drink the tears they shed when Bo flipped Martin to his back, and they still taste delicious. It's one of the best parts of the video. From the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat.
Some similarity to the Bo spladle of the mullet. I can still see that (high wrestling IQ) Iowa guy celebrating…thinking Brooks pinned Bo.

Ryan also said they were the 2018 National Champs for a hot second when Bo was on his back.
Question for the board on that sequence.

When Bo was taken down, did the ref award back points for Martin? If not, could Ryan have thrown the brick and possibly gotten the call reversed? Martin would then have been up 6-0, and still on top when the wrestling resumed, right?

So happy they now allow continuation when reviewing.

Reactions: creamery freak

When Bo was taken down, did the ref award back points for Martin? If not, could Ryan have thrown the brick and possibly gotten the call reversed? Martin would then have been up 6-0, and still on top when the wrestling resumed, right?

He was in the process of swiping for 2, but everything after happened so fast it was a non issue. Also a non-issue because that dope was long out of challenge bricks due to using them in early rounds

He was in the process of swiping for 2, but everything after happened so fast it was a non issue. Also a non-issue because that dope was long out of challenge bricks due to using them in early rounds
Even if Ryan had a challenge left to use, I don't know how he could have used it for that situation. Like you said, it went from Martin being in control to flat on his back in maybe one second or less. I'm pretty sure the ref would not stop the action for review if one of the wrestlers was on the verge of pinning the other. That would also come across as blatant unsportsmanlike conduct by the coach.

Even if Ryan had a challenge left to use, I don't know how he could have used it for that situation. Like you said, it went from Martin being in control to flat on his back in maybe one second or less. I'm pretty sure the ref would not stop the action for review if one of the wrestlers was on the verge of pinning the other. That would also come across as blatant unsportsmanlike conduct by the coach.
The ref wouldn't. He probably wouldn't even notice the brick during the pin call unless it hit him. But after the pin, he theoretically could have seen the brick and called for a replay that would've negated the pin due to a correction before the fall.

Of course in reality none of that would've happened. As noted above, Ryan was long out of challenges. Also, the ref swiped once and very clearly waived no NF score during the reversal. And he was in great position. No chance that would've been reversed.

giphy.gif
It looks like he just returned from Aruba. 😎

The ref wouldn't. He probably wouldn't even notice the brick during the pin call unless it hit him. But after the pin, he theoretically could have seen the brick and called for a replay that would've negated the pin due to a correction before the fall.

Of course in reality none of that would've happened. As noted above, Ryan was long out of challenges. Also, the ref swiped once and very clearly waived no NF score during the reversal. And he was in great position. No chance that would've been reversed.

I like the post NCAA screen shots from Buckeye fan saying Bo was pinned

I don't know the real answer to your question, but agree that Ryan was probably out of bricks by Friday night...

Great video! Watching Bo deck Martin and the looks from the spectators will never grow old. That has to be one of the all time greatest finals sequences ever.

I understand Ryan was out of challenges. It was more of a theoretical question. What if, upon review, the replay shows a 2 count was reached, but not called.

Can you imagine the uproar if everything after that was nullified?

This rule change was the one I was most happy about.

Methinks this contention is what rubs some the wrong way. If you’re not a fan of Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling, you sure seem to be an apologist for it. Which is fine, if you just admit to such a leaning . . . but I’m guessing most don’t like it when they think there is some fibbing going on.
Iowa , Penn st , Oklahoma st and Rutgers all have boards and I have stuck up for everyone of those programs on the boards over the years. I have friends that are fans of many programs. I don't mind chiming in when I see stuff being said that isn't true . Since you guys are all Penn st fans you think I'm a Iowa fan. Some Iowa fans think I'm a Penn st fan . It's how it works people have opinions. When Im on this board it's he's an Iowa fan . When I'm on Iowa boards it's go back to your own board. Can't make everyone happy

Iowa , Penn st , Oklahoma st and Rutgers all have boards and I have stuck up for everyone of those programs on the boards over the years. I have friends that are fans of many programs. I don't mind chiming in when I see stuff being said that isn't true . Since you guys are all Penn st fans you think I'm an Iowa fan. Some Iowa fans think I'm a Penn st fan . It's how it works people have opinions. When Im on this board it's he's an Iowa fan . When I'm on Iowa boards it's go back to your own board. Can't make everyone happy
Fair enough, but keep one important thing in mind about the Penn State fans. Our team wins national championships. That’s what we do! 😁

Fair enough, but keep one important thing in mind about the Penn State fans. Our team wins national championships. That’s what we do! 😁

He's a fan of the 3 winningest programs in history.... and Buttgers. Things that make you go, "hhhhmmmmmmm.....".

Just a funny thought for the guy who does the music at Rec Hall. When Ryan or say Manning throws a brick, have Pink Floyd cued up at ' all in all it's just another brick in the wall'.
We don't need no interruption
We don't need no match control
No big disruption in the gym room
Manning, leave them refs alone
Hey, Manning, leave them refs alone
All in all, it's just another brick in Rec Hall
All in all, you're just another brick in Rec Hall

Iowa , Penn st , Oklahoma st and Rutgers all have boards and I have stuck up for everyone of those programs on the boards over the years. I have friends that are fans of many programs. I don't mind chiming in when I see stuff being said that isn't true . Since you guys are all Penn st fans you think I'm a Iowa fan. Some Iowa fans think I'm a Penn st fan . It's how it works people have opinions. When Im on this board it's he's an Iowa fan . When I'm on Iowa boards it's go back to your own board. Can't make everyone happy
Just what an Iowa fan would say...
Wait What Wtf GIF by DefyTV

Cael's recent update .... sounds like Carter is pushing to wrestle Big Tens at this point and Cael might not like that idea.

“He’s doing pretty good,” Sanderson said. “I don’t know if it’s a situation that me talking really does a lot of good, really. But he’s… what his plans are, they haven’t really changed. He’s still ‘search and destroy,’ basically. Or something like that.”

Sanderson said Starocci’s injury is “like a day-to-day thing.”

“Where he’s getting better significantly over time,” Sanderson said. “So his plan is to do what he does and go compete. That’s something that we’ll have to kind of step in there if we don’t feel like it’s in his best interest. Obviously getting to the nationals is number one and then being at your best at the nationals is number two, so what we have to do to help him do that is the plan.”

Cael's recent update .... sounds like Carter is pushing to wrestle Big Tens at this point and Cael might not like that idea.

“He’s doing pretty good,” Sanderson said. “I don’t know if it’s a situation that me talking really does a lot of good, really. But he’s… what his plans are, they haven’t really changed. He’s still ‘search and destroy,’ basically. Or something like that.”

“Where he’s getting better significantly over time,” Sanderson said. “So his plan is to do what he does and go compete. That’s something that we’ll have to kind of step in there if we don’t feel like it’s in his best interest. Obviously getting to the nationals is number one and then being at your best at the nationals is number two, so what we have to do to help him do that is the plan.”
He also seemed to imply later that it wasn't a fully-torn ligament. Overall positive news, but I still think we are likely to see defaults at B1Gs, no matter what high school Carter attended.

Carter let me in to Rec today, actually. Was walking smoothly (if maybe a little slowly) while carrying a knee brace in his hands.

He also seemed to imply later that it wasn't a fully-torn ligament. Overall positive news, but I still think we are likely to see defaults at B1Gs, no matter what high school Carter attended.

Carter let me in to Rec today, actually. Was walking smoothly (if maybe a little slowly) while carrying a knee brace in his hands.
And you didnt grill him?!?

Chicken

I love it when Cael has a plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT