ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Starocci's injury - news, updates, and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll never know (at least not until NCAAs is over)

1. How bad it is
2. How bad they thought it was when it happened
3. How much better Dan Monthley made it

All we know is based on a very trusted insider and Carter's own social media post that he will be wrestling at NCAAs, B1Gs doesn't seem likely.

Rambo Lionsgate GIF by Rambo: Last Blood

longest winning streak in college, going undefeated... guess we need to ask him :)
My comment was specifically to mhlarch's post and only wrestling the first bout at Bigs.

Heck if it's not torn, and he's 90% with little chance of further damage then I say he's should be a full go for bigs with an eye on maintaining a chance at the Hodge. If it needs the full 4 weeks then why in the hell would you consider wrestling only one match at Bigs? It should be either a full go or a no go. Using bigs as a trial, just to find out that was a bad idea would be very foolish.

My comment was specifically to mhlarch's post and only wrestling the first bout at Bigs.

Heck if it's not torn, and he's 90% with little chance of further damage then I say he's should be a full go for bigs with an eye on maintaining a chance at the Hodge. If it needs the full 4 weeks then why in the hell would you consider wrestling only one match at Bigs? It should be either a full go or a no go. Using bigs as a trial, just to find out that was a bad idea would be very foolish.
Totally agree with you on this. Just meant he might wrestle the first to see how he is feeling and then go from there. If he is feeling good with no chance for further damage....go for it all!

I'm going to guess that if he is capable, he will want to wrestle bigs. I am also going to guess that the coaches will wisely talk him out of it.
Agreed. To be capable is one thing. To be responsible is another. Even if Carter feels “good enough” to go at B1Gs, the risk of re-injury hardly seems worth a relatively meaningless reward of prolonging a win streak or getting a conference title.

The real reward is a national title. Eye on the prize.

Agreed. To be capable is one thing. To be responsible is another. Even if Carter feels “good enough” to go at B1Gs, the risk of re-injury hardly seems worth a relatively meaningless reward of prolonging a win streak or getting a conference title.

According to you.... However, the only opinion as to what does, and doesn't, matter is Carter Starocci's. Having grown up in Erie, attended the same HS and understanding his "sports is a microcosm of life" mentality, I don't think you're philosophy is remotely similar to Carter's. This is pretty simple imho - if Carter's experience last Sunday didn't result in a continuing impairment and he is anywhere near fully-recovered by B1Gs, I would imagine he goes. If Carter's experience last Sunday did result in a lasting impairment that has a serious risk of being aggravated at B1Gs (i.e., nowhere near recovered at B1Gs), he probably defers on B1Gs (i.e., takes the 2 MFF losses) and takes the mat for NCAA's where he has no choice but to take the risk. Given that none of us knows whether there was lasting damage from his experience last Sunday that he will not be recovered from by B1Gs (or anywhere close to recovered), it's rather silly to speculate or make definitive statements as to what he should, or shouldn't, do (that decision is his alone - he's earned that right). However, your notion that Carter should sit B1Gs, even if he is fully-recovered or close to it and near 100% (and not taking any risk higher than any other time he takes the mat), because it is the "responsible" thing to do (whatever that means - using this logic, Carter would have never taken the mat this season), is likely not shared by Mr. Starocci. Forget Big Tens, forfeiting to anyone -in any match - unless it is a necessity, is not in Carter's DNA, I can guarantee you that.

Last edited:
According to you.... However, the only opinion as to what does, and doesn't, matter is Carter Starocci's. Having grown up in Erie, attended the same HS and understanding his "sports is a microcosm of life" mentality, I don't think you're philosophy.......
Having grown up in the in the North Hills of Pittsburgh and attended the same HS as LaVar Arrington (my son attended the same college as he did) .....I have no idea as to his philosophy or what he thinks except it takes him longer to count his money.

Just saying.

Having grown up in the in the North Hills of Pittsburgh and attended the same HS as LaVar Arrington (my son attended the same college as he did) .....I have no idea as to his philosophy or what he thinks except it takes him longer to count his money.

Just saying.

Carter stated his philosophy quite clearly in his X post.... I am very familiar with his "sports is a microcosm of life" approach and was taught the same philosophy growing up playing sports in Erie via the Parochial School System. You don't control outcomes in life or sports - what we control is inputs.... hardwork, determination and refusal to "give in" - as Carter said, you face adversity head on and defeat it.... and keep climbing the mountain....

You guys disappointed me. I posted this yesterday at 8:38 am. It was not a reply, but a post.
It's not what you know, it's who you know.
As of now , that's all I can share .
We can't judge if the person you know is in the know until you tell us their name. We can keep a secret. Promise. 🫰:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: PSUbluTX

Just saying.
The reality of this situation has nothing to do with his post or mentality. It's not Carter's decision whatsoever. He must have clearance from his coach, as well as, and most importantly, the team physician. No one at Penn State can compete without the okay of the team physician.

Yeah, my leg is broken, my knee was totally dislocated, but I got this. That's not how it works. Or, I've got a blown whatever in my knee, could do serious damage if I compete, but I got this. Sheesh.

Furthermore, if his position was the case, we'd never stop a player with a concussion from competing.

Carter stated his philosophy quite clearly in his X post.... I am very familiar with his "sports is a microcosm of life" approach and was taught the same philosophy growing up playing sports in Erie via the Parochial School System. You don't control outcomes in life or sports - what we control is inputs.... hardwork, determination and refusal to "give in" - as Carter said, you face adversity head on and defeat it.... and keep climbing the mountain....
His philosophy has absolutely nothing to do with his availability to compete. If that were the case, Adam Breneman would have never left the field, or never retired after OWL surgery. Journey Brown would have still played, and be in the NFL. Hell, we'd still have a top offensive lineman on the football team. Landon Tengwall.

That said, I'm pretty sure Carter is going to wrestle, but it has nothing to do with his philosophy. It's all about the injury and the risk of further catastrophic damage.

I’m going with what alb said on 247. My interpretation is he’s injured, it’s not insignificant but could have been a lot worse, and they’re going to take advantage of all the time they have to get him as close to 100% as they can.
This. He is definitely injured. You don't get basically carried off the mat and not have an injury. It does seem fairly positive that he will wrestle.

His philosophy has absolutely nothing to do with his availability to compete. If that were the case, Adam Breneman would have never left the field, or never retired after OWL surgery. Journey Brown would have still played, and be in the NFL. Hell, we'd still have a top offensive lineman on the football team. Landon Tengwall.

That said, I'm pretty sure Carter is going to wrestle, but it has nothing to do with his philosophy. It's all about the injury and the risk of further catastrophic damage.

You clearly didn't read what I posted - I said if his experience last Sunday included no permanent impairment and he is fully-recovered, or close to it (IOW, "cleared to wrestle").... so wtf are you talking about??? The OP said that the seriousness, potential recovery and whether he was healthy enough to go for B1Gs from Sundays incident did not matter - that Carter should not go because in his opinion it was the "responsible" thing to do (whatever that means). So again, the premise was whether Carter would go at B1Gs if he was cleared to be in sufficient health to go - the OP said he should not go at B1Gs regardless if he was perfectly able to. Under those circumstances, the decision is absolutely Carter's.

BTW, how do you know the seriousness of Carter's experience last Sunday - or his current condition for that matter? Please do tell.

You clearly didn't read what I posted - I said if his experience last Sunday included no permanent impairment and he is fully-recovered, or close to it (IOW, "cleared to wrestle").... so wtf are you talking about??? The OP said that the seriousness, potential recovery and whether he was healthy enough to go for B1Gs from Sundays incident did not matter - that Carter should not go because in his opinion it was the "responsible" thing to do (whatever that means). So again, the premise was whether Carter would go at B1Gs if he was cleared to be in sufficient health to go - the OP said he should not go at B1Gs regardless if he was perfectly able to. Under those circumstances, the decision is absolutely Carter's.

BTW, how do you know the seriousness of Carter's experience last Sunday - or his current condition for that matter? Please do tell.
I absolutely read what you posted. Your entire theme was Carter's philosophy. You professed about where you went to school, like that matters. That he gives no quarter, just like you give no quarter, because of where you were raised. Lmao.

Quarter comes from maritime, Blackbeard and other pirates. It is the call signal of East Carolina University, where both my boys attend. It has nothing to do with anything, and is complete bullsh&t. But hey, you internet because you went to the same high school. I not only went to the high school of several professional athletes, one in the MLB Hall of Fame, it has absolutely nothing to do with me.

I absolutely read what you posted. Your entire theme was Carter's philosophy. You professed about where you went to school, like that matters. That he gives no quarter, just like you give no quarter, because of where you were raised. Lmao.

Quarter comes from maritime, Blackbeard and other pirates. It is the call signal of East Carolina University, where both my boys attend. It has nothing to do with anything, and is complete bullsh&t. But hey, you internet because you went to the same high school. I not only went to the high school of several professional athletes, one in the MLB Hall of Fame, it has absolutely nothing to do with me.
What's Mike up to these days?

However, I'm going home in April for the first week of trout season. Been a while.

Reactions: nerfstate
I know someone who used to babysit him. And I think her father used to be a mayor in the area.
All I'll say is....absolutely nothing. Lol. Montoursville is a hell of a town, and I miss it. I miss fly fishing out the Sock at my cabin. District IV, AA Champions in Wrestling this year! Got a boy on the team at 125lbs, Brandon Wentzel.

I know someone who used to babysit him. And I think her father used to be a mayor in the area. Just checked, he was mayor for 36 years.
What Hall of Famer, multi millionaire, comes home to Montoursville? A town under 5 thousand people. It's the water. Lol I can tell you, as I have a number of friends on here from Montoursville, it's a special place, and I was very fortunate to grow up there. Wouldn't change a thing. I'll always be a Warrior. Was at Lycoming as well.

Reactions: creamery freak
All I'll say is....absolutely nothing. Lol. Montoursville is a hell of a town, and I miss it. I miss fly fishing out the Sock at my cabin. District IV, AA Champions in Wrestling this year! Got a boy on the team at 125lbs, Brandon Wentzel.
Hmmmm, you’ll say nothing because you know of whom I speak?

Reactions: mcpat
As we have seen many times before, B1Gs are meaningless but for seeding purposes. It’s all about nationals so Carter needs not compete and will still get top 4 seed. This is so similar to Nolf five yrs ago. BTW, nits will still win both tournaments with or without CStar!

Also I'm not a Iowa fan I'm a fan of the sport.
Methinks this contention is what rubs some the wrong way. If you’re not a fan of Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling, you sure seem to be an apologist for it. Which is fine, if you just admit to such a leaning . . . but I’m guessing most don’t like it when they think there is some fibbing going on.

Understanding his philosophy in regards to sports, and life, absolutely has a tremendous amount to do with how he was raised and the philosophy espoused by the institution he attended - your saying it doesn't, means jack-shit. First you claim I said he would go even if not medically cleared (which was absolute made-up horseshit - never said it, or implied it in response to the OP's post). Now this post which has jack-shit to do with the false claims you made in your first response.

BTW, please do tell how speculating that Carter may be far healthier (and far less seriously hurt) than many have claimed is any different than speculating that Carter is seriously injured without the possibility of recovering in the next couple weeks?

Last edited:
What Hall of Famer, multi millionaire, comes home to Montoursville? A town under 5 thousand people. It's the water. Lol I can tell you, as I have a number of friends on here from Montoursville, it's a special place, and I was very fortunate to grow up there. Wouldn't change a thing. I'll always be a Warrior. Was at Lycoming as well.
I thought he was just a high school basketball coach.

You guys disappointed me. I posted this yesterday at 8:38 am. It was not a reply, but a post.
It's not what you know, it's who you know.
As of now , that's all I can share .
*Yawn.....another "I'm very important, I have news you don't have"

Re-watch the twitter video.
He wants to beat EVERYONE.

Reactions: mcpat
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT