ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar National Champ?

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
IMO the Cassar that was too conservative and tentative vs White probably won't beat Gable, and may lose to white again if he maintains that style.

The Cassar that took it to Parris last night (and several other ranked heavies this year), certainly has a pretty good shot at beating anyone he faces. That was his best performance of the year. Wow very impressive.

It must have been the power from that gold pin chain.

When he remembers that he was once a national freestyle champion and Jr world team member, he has by far the best Hwt neutral game in the Nation.

If you don't shot you don't score. If you don't score, a 1 point match can go anywhere against any opponent in the 3rd period.

Hey Anthony, against the best competition stay aggressive my friend. Take it to Singletary next week, and for Big 10s if you want to go all Mr. T with the chains we think it's great, you can back it up.

However,.... you might just be the cause of Lemon going blind and growing some hair in his palm.

Last edited:
He is still learning the position. I think he learned a lot when he picked up parris at the beginning. That he could do that. Then after Paris had energy for another 30 sec -1 minute of probably pure adrenaline Cassar really kept up a pace that heavyweights cannot maintain.

Keep wrestling like a 197 pound and stick it to em

I think White is a bad matchup a for Cassar. He's kind of a bigger version of him. Cassar, despite weighing less than your standard heavy, is usually stronger. And Cassar is certainly quicker and more athletic than your standard heavy.

White's strength, size, and athleticism negates a lot of Cassar's advantages at the weight. I think Cassar is stronger than Gable so I think Gable may be a better matchup for Cassar in that regard, but Steveson is technically incredible and supremely athletic for the weight.

Cassar is certainly capable of winning the title this year but it's going to be an incredibly difficult task with White and Gable in his way.

It's a lot easier to be aggressive and look good when you can get to the opponent's legs and finish almost at will (i.e., against Parris). Not so simple against White.
Agree. Taking one bout and somehow transposing the results against another guy rarely works. It's all about the match-up. Heck, Jennings beat Parris 6-4, and Cassar beat Jennings 12-2, so one would "expect" a major against Parris...except that's not the way it works. White's strength and size is a problem for Cassar, but one that can be figured out. Steveson too...he's one athletic, and big heavyweight. Will make for great B1G and NCAA tournaments.

Reactions: Ja1339
White's handfighting shut down virtually all of AC's set ups. Our coaches are pretty good at adjusting handfighting, so I don't expect the same exact match as last time, but I also don't think that all AC needs to do is "shoot more" to win. He's gotta get a tie/setup that works for him first, and I think it's unlikely he'll be able to do that "at will" against White.

Gable is plenty strong, plenty athletic, and has more technique than any heavy not named Snyder. Still think AC can take him in the right scenario, but it won't be close to easy.

White's handfighting shut down virtually all of AC's set ups. Our coaches are pretty good at adjusting handfighting, so I don't expect the same exact match as last time, but I also don't think that all AC needs to do is "shoot more" to win. He's gotta get a tie/setup that works for him first, and I think it's unlikely he'll be able to do that "at will" against White.

Gable is plenty strong, plenty athletic, and has more technique than any heavy not named Snyder. Still think AC can take him in the right scenario, but it won't be close to easy.
Better than good assessment :), imo. Not an obvious choice for NC, as we see in a couple other weight classes. I think it will be one of the three guys mentioned, maybe Dhesi as a darkhorse.

Reactions: nerfstate
The blast may not work against White,so AC may need to come from different angles, but he definately has the horsepower to take him off his feet. Except Snyder, and sometimes Gwiz, i cant remember a recent hwt with his TD effectiveness, it seems like his blast has been unstoppable... that and the fact that it is 7 full minutes of it will wear down 95% of our current hvys.

Good call on the handfighting, speaking of just that, did you see on one of AC’s early TD’s Parris had great hand control against him and the VERY SECOND he lost it, Tony hit the blast.

Fortunately for us, AC has a gold-medal version of Derek White to practice against every day. And Bo isn't a bad stand in for a lot of what Gable brings (those 2 have the best foot activity in the NCAA, if you ask me).

Reactions: diggerpup

Agree 100%. White has unique attributes that make him a very tough matchup vs Cassar. That said or coaches are supreme at gamelanning and I think Cassar will make a few tweaks to open up some single legs. The blast double with all of its wow factor may have to sit on the shelf vs White and Gable.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Agree 100%. White has unique attributes that make him a very tough matchup vs Cassar. That said or coaches are supreme at gamelanning and I think Cassar will make a few tweaks to open up some single legs. The blast double with all of its wow factor may have to sit on the shelf vs White and Gable.

The superduck seems to be catching on too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT