ADVERTISEMENT

CBS reporter says Penn State underrated in AP rankings

Jerry

May 29, 2001
He also says Michigan was overrated after Week One vote. Link below.

Of course the rankings...whether we're #8 or 7 or 6...don't mean a lot at this point.

>>Penn State came into the season ranked No. 8, but with major questions about its offense and receivers. Offensive coordinator Andy Kotelnicki did everything in his power to fix it. Despite passing a major test on the road against West Virginia with a dominant 34-12 victory, Penn State didn't move an inch in the Week 1 AP Top 25.

Granted, the competition in the top 10 is tight, but the Nittany Lions answered their biggest concerns. Wide receiver Harrison Wallace III is a star in the making after posting 117 yards and two touchdowns. The running game cleared 222 yards and the defense won at the point of attack.

If the offensive questions are answered, Penn State belongs in the breath as other top CFP contenders. Really, there's not much more Penn State could have done to pass Oregon or Ole Miss. This week, they deserved it. <<

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ap-top-25-poll-reactions-michigan-overrated-penn-state-underrated-in-college-football-rankings-after-week-1/

Reactions: NedFromYork
Preseason polls should be banned. They literally place teams based on last year that has no relation to the current season (see #10 FSU).
They should wait until after game five.

But all this rating crap is huge business. Gets a ton of preseason clicks. Sells actual print magazines. Broadcast networks use them to promote games.

There are lots of genius gurus that have entire careers rating teams. Universities use thfm to sell season tickets. Coaches use them as both recruiting speal and pregame motivation. The hype is half of the game.

While it would be wise to ignore them the the first few weeks the call of The Sirens is impossible to resist. Try as we might we all get drawn in until we are smashed by the rocks of that first defeat. ‘Tis our Fates.

Of course the rankings...whether we're #8 or 7 or 6...don't mean a lot at this point.

>>Penn State came into the season ranked No. 8, but with major questions about its offense and receivers. Offensive coordinator Andy Kotelnicki did everything in his power to fix it. Despite passing a major test on the road against West Virginia with a dominant 34-12 victory, Penn State didn't move an inch in the Week 1 AP Top 25.

Granted, the competition in the top 10 is tight, but the Nittany Lions answered their biggest concerns. Wide receiver Harrison Wallace III is a star in the making after posting 117 yards and two touchdowns. The running game cleared 222 yards and the defense won at the point of attack.

If the offensive questions are answered, Penn State belongs in the breath as other top CFP contenders. Really, there's not much more Penn State could have done to pass Oregon or Ole Miss. This week, they deserved it. <<

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ap-top-25-poll-reactions-michigan-overrated-penn-state-underrated-in-college-football-rankings-after-week-1/
This is all well and good but it still comes down to TOSU, and possibly USC.

I think as a team we have mostly benefited from pre-season rankings, so I like them. Sure, it has to do with the previous year's accomplishments, but being 8th in a pre-season poll creates excitement for the program for fans and recruits. Plus, as has been the case, PSU has taken care of business on the first game of the season and then plays a series of powder puff teams and continues to climb the rankings......and when we do lose to an OSU as the 4th or 5th ranked team, we don't plummet too far(yes, a lot of that is based on the wins that proceeded it, but also the ranking at the time). I get the frustration with the rankings especially when you talk about a team like FSU at 10th, but largely, the preseason rankings have benefited our program.

Reactions: Jerry

But all this rating crap is huge business. Gets a ton of preseason clicks. Sells actual print magazines. Broadcast networks use them to promote games.

There are lots of genius gurus that have entire careers rating teams. Universities use thfm to sell season tickets. Coaches use them as both recruiting speal and pregame motivation. The hype is half of the game.

While it would be wise to ignore them the the first few weeks the call of The Sirens is impossible to resist. Try as we might we all get drawn in until we are smashed by the rocks of that first defeat. ‘Tis our Fates.
“Try as we might we all get drawn in until we are smashed by the rocks of that first defeat. ‘Tis our Fates.”

Getting poetic in your old age!

I was impressed by how the team handled first-game adversity, especially after the quick turnover caused by the WVU defender clapping. I think people were impressed by the offense: AK, Allar, Singleton, Wallace. Of course, the defense looked like last years. Which is to say, what we expected (aided by several WVU unforced errors).

And I think it is clear that we have just scratched the surface. We still have a couple of WRs that I expect to make big contributions. I expect more out of our TE position. And I expect fatman to have better games in the future. We are big, tough, fast, deep and our offense looked good. There haven't been a lot of seasons where I could truthfully say that.

I was impressed by how the team handled first-game adversity, especially after the quick turnover caused by the WVU defender clapping. I think people were impressed by the offense: AK, Allar, Singleton, Wallace. Of course, the defense looked like last years. Which is to say, what we expected (aided by several WVU unforced errors).

And I think it is clear that we have just scratched the surface. We still have a couple of WRs that I expect to make big contributions. I expect more out of our TE position. And I expect fatman to have better games in the future. We are big, tough, fast, deep and our offense looked good. There haven't been a lot of seasons where I could truthfully say that.
Methinks we looked a bit raw. But we have three weeks and two patsies to fine tune the machine.

There is tremendous potential but potential doesn’t win championships. A lot of hard work ahead.

Reactions: mhlarch
Methinks we looked a bit raw. But we have three weeks and two patsies to fine tune the machine.

There is tremendous potential but potential doesn’t win championships. A lot of hard work ahead.
Yep. I agree. We made a lot of mistakes. But those mistakes are correctable. We've got the scheme and the players to do it. But, as you say, it needs to be crafted into a machine. Ben Jones has a good write up on this today.

I'd also say that the only team that I thought played well, in the B1G, was USC. tOSU played OK but it was against a MAC team. Oregon, Michigan and others struggled against iffy competition.

Yep. I agree. We made a lot of mistakes. But those mistakes are correctable. We've got the scheme and the players to do it. But, as you say, it needs to be crafted into a machine. Ben Jones has a good write up on this today.

I'd also say that the only team that I thought played well, in the B1G, was USC. tOSU played OK but it was against a MAC team. Oregon, Michigan and others struggled against iffy competition.

Allar is the key IMO, and so far so good. He threw with confidence in tight spaces, threw guys open with room for YAC, and as important he played with fire and moxie, which his teammates fed off of. Only one game, but encouraging.

Agreed that more receivers need to step up, Wallace is no longer under the radar.

If anyone hasn't watched "for the blogy" you should. LINK

I especially like the TD play @ 3:24. He diagrams it perfectly but something of note, to me, is that it was a play action pass plus featured a pulling tackle to make it look like a run. The WVU safties froze to cover the run allowing the crossing pattern behind them for the TD. Very creative. The other one is the play featured at 1:29. Just a simple play but "blogy" does a great job of showing how the stacked right, motion left, opened up an easy hole in the defense for a pitch and catch 15 yard gain.

This is why I am excited about this offense. And I didn't even talk about Vega going into motion or Beau playing QB or Singleton in the wildcat.

Reactions: WeR0206
Allar is the key IMO, and so far so good. He threw with confidence in tight spaces, threw guys open with room for YAC, and as important he played with fire and moxie, which his teammates fed off of. Only one game, but encouraging.

Agreed that more receivers need to step up, Wallace is no longer under the radar.
I agree. I'd also add that he made good decisions when he ran and then ran them effectively. he picked up several first downs when the D was giving them with him running.

And I agree, with him it is all about the confidence. He's got to be more confident which will lead to more aggressiveness. WRs are not always going to be wide open.

I think as a team we have mostly benefited from pre-season rankings, so I like them. Sure, it has to do with the previous year's accomplishments, but being 8th in a pre-season poll creates excitement for the program for fans and recruits. Plus, as has been the case, PSU has taken care of business on the first game of the season and then plays a series of powder puff teams and continues to climb the rankings......and when we do lose to an OSU as the 4th or 5th ranked team, we don't plummet too far(yes, a lot of that is based on the wins that proceeded it, but also the ranking at the time). I get the frustration with the rankings especially when you talk about a team like FSU at 10th, but largely, the preseason rankings have benefited our program.
Tell that to the 1969 team.

Reactions: GSPMax
I never had any concerns about Allar ... everyone was overreacting to last year's poor receiving crew and poor scheming.

But he definitely wasn't perfect on Saturday ... the thing that was really encouraging was, he struggled a bit early (missed a wide open Evans on an easy throw, the bad snap, threw what could have been a pick 6 to the flat), and rather than let that spiral into something bad, he just stayed in it and ended up making some amazing plays, and having a fine game overall.

I never had any concerns about Allar ... everyone was overreacting to last year's poor receiving crew and poor scheming.

But he definitely wasn't perfect on Saturday ... the thing that was really encouraging was, he struggled a bit early (missed a wide open Evans on an easy throw, the bad snap, threw what could have been a pick 6 to the flat), and rather than let that spiral into something bad, he just stayed in it and ended up making some amazing plays, and having a fine game overall.
He also missed an easy throw to the TE for a 1st down when a blitzing DB was coming towards him. He had plenty of time.

The LSU & USC QBs put on a clinic in their game. 4 step drop and fire before the WR even makes his cut. It was so quick that opponents had little time to apply pressure. I watched the replay of the WVa game. Allar would drop back and look for his primary target, then check down to #2, then to #3. He's waiting for his receivers to come open and for the most part they didn't except for Wallace. I don't know if our WRs are simply not good enough or if they just aren't in sync with Allar. I guess it could also be Allar being more cautious.

He also missed an easy throw to the TE for a 1st down when a blitzing DB was coming towards him. He had plenty of time.

The LSU & USC QBs put on a clinic in their game. 4 step drop and fire before the WR even makes his cut. It was so quick that opponents had little time to apply pressure. I watched the replay of the WVa game. Allar would drop back and look for his primary target, then check down to #2, then to #3. He's waiting for his receivers to come open and for the most part they didn't except for Wallace. I don't know if our WRs are simply not good enough or if they just aren't in sync with Allar. I guess it could also be Allar being more cautious.
yet, the winning score had 27 the loser 20. They had 447 and 421 total yards. PSU had 457. All three teams had four punts (PSU, LSU, USC). Neither LSU or USC could run the ball. Of course, we played a lot of backups in the fourth quarter. But also that both USC and LSU are better overall teams.

My point is that those offenses look flashy but aren't necessarily better than ours.

USC is going to be a challenge for us. IT is, probably, the key to our season.

That’s called confidence and timing.

When your receivers were poor all last season and often running wrong routes, not breaking off routes correctly, or just not getting open you don’t trust them until they earn it.

Add in a new offense, new receivers, new reads, new schemes, and more. First game. Loud crowd hindering communications.

We have several weeks to pick it up. Pretty confident they will. Watching Allar’s high school film he often threw long before the receiver made his cut. That was what impressed me the most when I watched the film. Hoping….and believing…. he will make that progression.

Last edited:

I don't share your overall concern with our wide receivers. How do you know none got separation/open except Wallace? I saw Allar locking on Wallace a lot and not looking for the other guys.

Nevertheless, it is too early to take negative view thinking our WRs are not good enough. I have high hopes for Fleming and Wallace looks ready for a breakout season. Evans is improved and can do damage deep, especially. Let's see how the next few weeks shake out versus these overmatched opponents.

The Spin Meister knows spin when he sees it.

• Love
Reactions: The Spin Meister

We'll talk after the USC game

Don't forget that awesome stiff arm to the face of WVU's prized young LB. When I saw that I knew Drew was switched on!

This is why it doesn’t matter how weak your OOC schedule is…most of the teams above PSU played teams way worse than WVU and they didn’t drop and PSU didn’t move up playing a solid P4 opponent. Winning matters way more than your opponent.

This is why it doesn’t matter how weak your OOC schedule is…most of the teams above PSU played teams way worse than WVU and they didn’t drop and PSU didn’t move up playing a solid P4 opponent. Winning matters way more than your opponent.
With the recent expansion the B2G is tough enough all by itself. No need for a top twenty OOC opponent.

Just wish we would play one of the easy games in mid November like the SEC does. Almost like a bye week before Rivalry Week and CCG.

It's not that I disagree with this sentiment (because it's basically true), but Oregon did drop as they were the only one ahead of us who struggled.

The rest were all 50+ beatdowns that played 3rd tier competition.

It will matter at the end when it comes to seedings a final playoff spots. For example, if Michigan goes 9-3 with loses to Texas Ohio State and Oregon they'll get in over 10-2 teams...and should.
Assuming they aren't ineligible for the post season.

USC and ND show the impact of beating a perceived good team. Both jumped a ton.

It's not that I disagree with this sentiment (because it's basically true), but Oregon did drop as they were the only one ahead of us who struggled.

The rest were all 50+ beatdowns that played 3rd tier competition.
True, but the idea is not to struggle with a powder puff. We played a decent P4 team, won by three TD’s and didn’t move at all. If we would have played a tomato can and won by a lot, we wouldn’t have moved either.

It will matter at the end when it comes to seedings a final playoff spots. For example, if Michigan goes 9-3 with loses to Texas Ohio State and Oregon they'll get in over 10-2 teams...and should.
Assuming they aren't ineligible for the post season.

I doubt it simply because Michigan won't have beaten anyone significant then. They biggest win would be... Washington, I guess? I think they stand a better chance at making it at 9-3 if they beat one of those top teams and lose a different game.

I doubt it simply because Michigan won't have beaten anyone significant then. They biggest win would be... Washington, I guess? I think they stand a better chance at making it at 9-3 if they beat one of those top teams and lose a different game.
The Michigan game this weekend is important (not crucial now but could be down the road) for Penn State. We don't play them so when all the jockeying for playoff spots begins it will be our resume vs theirs. Obviously it doesn't help us if they have a big win vs Texas. I think the B10 gets 3 in, 4 max. OSU and Oregon say are in (yes it is early and no guarantees). Then us Michigan and USC next in line. If we are 10-2 with losses to USC and OSU then we want Michigan at 9-3 or worse. They could easily lose to USC, Oregon and OSU to get 3 losses but it would be really nice for them to lose to Texas.

Reactions: Obliviax
USC and Washington with 3 losses to playoff teams. They'll be a great test to see what the committee does care about if they're 9-3 and say Iowa is 10-2.

The Michigan game this weekend is important (not crucial now but could be down the road) for Penn State. We don't play them so when all the jockeying for playoff spots begins it will be our resume vs theirs. Obviously it doesn't help us if they have a big win vs Texas. I think the B10 gets 3 in, 4 max. OSU and Oregon say are in (yes it is early and no guarantees). Then us Michigan and USC next in line. If we are 10-2 with losses to USC and OSU then we want Michigan at 9-3 or worse. They could easily lose to USC, Oregon and OSU to get 3 losses but it would be really nice for them to lose to Texas.
The Big Ten and SEC will get 8 bids maybe 9 if ND flops. Texas is as much competition as Michigan.

The Big Ten and SEC will get 8 bids maybe 9 if ND flops. Texas is as much competition as Michigan.
I just think we want conference competition to lose more than non conference teams. Especially a team that looks to be competing directly with us for a playoff spot as the #3 or 4 team from a conference. If Texas wins you want them to go on and win the SEC or be one of those those teams not battling for 9-12 spots. If they are one of those teams then of course they are competition if we are 10-2. Plus I never could get myself to cheer for Michigan unless it was obvious a Michigan win directly helps Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT