ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Burkhart

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
Remember that quarterback who led Penn State to back to back undefeated seasons? Penn State had that great defense back then, sort of like the great defense last year and what might be an almost as great defense this year.

Chuck was a 5 star recruit: Huge and tall with a shot gun arm. He didn't have good receivers though, so Joe had to be careful not to damage his fragile confidence. After each game, the problem was always with receivers, or the offensive coordinator, or the offensive line. Chuck was never at fault when the offense didn't move well.

Chuck wasn't much of a big game player either, but Joe stuck right with him even though he failed time after time in the clutch. Back then you only needed 7 points to win games. Chuck would always come through in garbage time. The fact about Chuck was, he had all the measurements necessary as a blue chip five star, and as Joe well knew, you never bench five star talent.

Lol 😂😂😂😂 Sorry my bad, wrong description. I meant to say that Chuck was considered a running QB, with a pop gun arm, and not even possibly a guy who could lead a team to undefeated seasons.

Just like Beau Pribula

Remember that quarterback who led Penn State to back to back undefeated seasons? Penn State had that great defense back then, sort of like the great defense last year and what might be an almost as great defense this year.

Chuck was a 5 star recruit: Huge and tall with a shot gun arm. He didn't have good receivers though, so Joe had to be careful not to damage his fragile confidence. After each game, the problem was always with receivers, or the offensive coordinator, or the offensive line. Chuck was never at fault when the offense didn't move well.

Chuck wasn't much of a big game player either, but Joe stuck right with him even though he failed time after time in the clutch. Back then you only needed 7 points to win games. Chuck would always come through in garbage time. The fact about Chuck was, he had all the measurements necessary as a blue chip five star, and as Joe well knew, you never bench five star talent.

Lol 😂😂😂😂 Sorry my bad, wrong description. I meant to say that Chuck was CERTAINLY NOT considered a running QB, with a pop gun arm, and not even possibly a guy who could lead a team to undefeated seasons.

Just like Beau Pribula
FIFY

Lol 😂😂😂😂 Sorry my bad, wrong description. I meant to say that Chuck was considered a running QB, with a pop gun arm, and not even possibly a guy who could lead a team to undefeated seasons.

Just like Beau Pribula
i included the link ....to increase the size of text

Burk.png

Just imagine how good those early PSU teams would have been with McSorely and ARob on the team...........

Reactions: Psubiomed
For anyone who is missing the point I am so obviously making: The best choice of the quarterback is based on who can move the team the best, who can handle the pressure of the big game the best, and who is the better choice to win those games. Not who is taller, has more stars, has better arm strength etc. My belief, based on play on the field, is that choice should be Beau Pribula, and that should be done before the team loses more important games because we didn't do that in time.

Just like Beau Pribula
I saw Beau and Liam at Panera Bread. Next time I but into I'll let him know you're pulling for him

Reactions: Psubiomed
I saw Beau and Liam at Panera Bread. Next time I but into I'll let him know you're pulling for him
I'm pulling for them both, but I'm with Beau because he has the intangibles that Drew doesn't have, and those things cannot be changed by any coaching, talent, or anything else: Some kids can do this on the big stage and some kids just can't. I've seen an entire 13 game sample size, and have no need or desire to see more. At this level the game is not about giving players chance after chance after chance, and losing games. It's about making the change when the truth becomes obvious.

The truth became obvious in Atlanta.

Replaced by Huffy. As I recall, the kid who did not have as big an arm, and could run pretty well....
Actually, he was replaced by Bob Parsons. Then Huffy took over a couple of games later. His first start was vs Army that year after a 2-3 start. Won the last 5. Things were much different. We went 7-3 and no bowl.

I'm pulling for them both, but I'm with Beau because he has the intangibles that Drew doesn't have, and those things cannot be changed by any coaching, talent, or anything else: Some kids can do this on the big stage and some kids just can't. I've seen an entire 13 game sample size, and have no need or desire to see more. At this level the game is not about giving players chance after chance after chance, and losing games. It's about making the change when the truth becomes obvious.

The truth became obvious in Atlanta.
I was in Atlanta. I saw Beau throw a swing pass into the Ole Miss bench.

Idk are you all just star gazers? Allar has the look but has yet to bring the goods. I’d grade him a C to C- for the season. I am not convinced he can make reads and decisions fast enough. He is good enough to win most games, except when the opponent gives him less time or smaller windows. Everyone wants to blame the receivers and the scheme, but drew has to shoulder part of it. He was awful at times - how can anyone deny?

Biomed’s point is valid - play the qb that can win you the big games. Find that qb who is a gamer and let him do his thing. Allar is trying but I’m not sure he has it or if he ever will. The receivers seem to have lost faith in him. Big problem when your teammates lose faith in you. Can he recover and improve, IDK.

Idk are you all just star gazers? Allar has the look but has yet to bring the goods. I’d grade him a C to C- for the season. I am not convinced he can make reads and decisions fast enough. He is good enough to win most games, except when the opponent gives him less time or smaller windows. Everyone wants to blame the receivers and the scheme, but drew has to shoulder part of it. He was awful at times - how can anyone deny?

Biomed’s point is valid - play the qb that can win you the big games. Find that qb who is a gamer and let him do his thing. Allar is trying but I’m not sure he has it or if he ever will. The receivers seem to have lost faith in him. Big problem when your teammates lose faith in you. Can he recover and improve, IDK.

Biomed is a troll.

Reactions: psu 83

All fair.

Maybe he lost faith in his receivers.

Actually, he was replaced by Bob Parsons. Then Huffy took over a couple of games later. His first start was vs Army that year after a 2-3 start. Won the last 5. Things were much different. We went 7-3 and no bowl.

Minor disagreement here.
Chuck Burkhart was replaced by Mike Cooper and Bob Parsons. Neither were effective early in the 1970 season and JoePa made the switch to sophomore John Hufnagel. Remember that freshmen did not participate in those days.
Huffy was a pretty darned good quarterback.

Reactions: step.eng69
The backup QB is always the best QB on the team, until he becomes the starter then the third stringer gets elevated. Amazing how that works.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Minor disagreement here.
Chuck Burkhart was replaced by Mike Cooper and Bob Parsons. Neither were effective early in the 1970 season and JoePa made the switch to sophomore John Hufnagel. Remember that freshmen did not participate in those days.
Huffy was a pretty darned good quarterback.
My bad. I didn’t phrase it correctly. I should’ve said what I meant, that Cooper was the one that was replaced by Parsons, not Chuck. Actually, no one replaced Chuck. He graduated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT