ADVERTISEMENT

Cliffhanger in Kansas City

Great game. Cincy will really be kicking themselves, but KC did just enough. As banged up as KC was at WR, thought the Cincy oline injuries was the difference.

Reactions: OldiesAtTheGaff
Some very questionable calls down the stretch
Officiating? Thought they did a good job. The starting the clock snafu was bad optics, but they got it right. The late hit was pretty obvious, and thought grounding was the right call before they threw the flag.

Officiating? Thought they did a good job. The starting the clock snafu was bad optics, but they got it right. The late hit was pretty obvious, and thought grounding was the right call before they threw the flag.
Had the refs actually stopped the play that would be one thing: no whistle, nobody waving their arms. Then they call ticky tac PI.

There was a rb standing right there on the IG call.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Had the refs actually stopped the play that would be one thing: no whistle, nobody waving their arms. Then they call ticky tac PI.

There was a whistle, and was a ref running in waiving his arms…that play got killed regardless of its result.

And the RB certainly wasn’t “right there” on the grounding. Burrow spiked it short of his linemen, and Perine was several yards downfield releasing.

The official was waving his arms, they showed it in a replay a couple of plays later and it was right in front of the Bengals bench.

And the IG was definitely the right call if you watch it closely. Both possible receivers abandoned the middle of the field and Burrow drilled it at the feet of the linemen.

And the IG was definitely the right call if you watch it closely. Both possible receivers abandoned the middle of the field and Burrow drilled it at the feet of the linemen.
Maybe. But QBs do it so the time and it isn’t called. In fact, similar play happened earlier to the outside with no call.

Reactions: DandyDonII

There was no RB standing close to where Burrow threw that pass.

Reactions: KCLion
Maybe. But QBs do it so the time and it isn’t called. In fact, similar play happened earlier to the outside with no call.
That’s because there was a running back in the area on the other play. Bengals had the ball with a little over 2 minutes to go. I thought they were going to be the team to go down and kick the game winning FG.

That’s because there was a running back in the area on the other play. Bengals had the ball with a little over 2 minutes to go. I thought they were going to be the team to go down and kick the game winning FG.
Check the replay. Even Nance said there was a eligible receiver there

Reactions: DandyDonII
Check the replay. Even Nance said there was a eligible receiver there
I just did...Burrow was at the 11 yard line, and spiked it to his offensive linemens' feet at the 15 yard line. Perine was at the 22 yard line. Very few officials would give you that call if they catch it, just as Steratore agreed with the call while viewing the replay...Nantz then said "I thought I saw Perrine in the area the area there, no?", and Romo agreed that it was the correct call. Only issue I see with the play is the referees ended up spotting it about a yard and a half behind where it should have been.

I just did...Burrow was at the 11 yard line, and spiked it to his offensive linemens' feet at the 15 yard line. Perine was at the 22 yard line. Very few officials would give you that call if they catch it, just as Steratore agreed with the call while viewing the replay...Nantz then said "I thought I saw Perrine in the area the area there, no?", and Romo agreed that it was the correct call. Only issue I see with the play is the referees ended up spotting it about a yard and a half behind where it should have been.
Is it a good call? It is up to the description of the ref. But that isn't called 9 times of of ten. To call it in that situation was pretty bad. The best team won, IMHO. But EVERY close call went KC's way down the stretch. There was also an illegal block in the back on the punt return and an egregious holding on Mahome's scramble.

We can do this all day long. You can call, or not, a penalty on every single play. When one team gets every close call, that raises an eyebrow.

Is it a good call? It is up to the description of the ref. But that isn't called 9 times of of ten. To call it in that situation was pretty bad. The best team won, IMHO. But EVERY close call went KC's way down the stretch. There was also an illegal block in the back on the punt return and an egregious holding on Mahome's scramble.

We can do this all day long. You can call, or not, a penalty on every single play. When one team gets every close call, that raises an eyebrow.
I'd say that the grounding call would be made about 8 times out of 10, and the other 2 would be because the officials failed to realize that none of the many guys in the scrum where the pass was thrown was eligible. And KC certainly didn't get "every" close call...the interception with the Pass Interference was certainly a close call, but the DB got there early as the officials made the right call with the flag on KC. Or the bad spot that forced KC to challenge the 1st down and lose their last challenge.

I agree that they missed a block in the back on the punt return. But this narrative that every close call went KC's way isn't true, especially when several that are being argued were obvious like the late hit at the end, the intentional grounding, and stopping the 3rd down play.

I'd say that the grounding call would be made about 8 times out of 10, and the other 2 would be because the officials failed to realize that none of the many guys in the scrum where the pass was thrown was eligible. And KC certainly didn't get "every" close call...the interception with the Pass Interference was certainly a close call, but the DB got there early as the officials made the right call with the flag on KC. Or the bad spot that forced KC to challenge the 1st down and lose their last challenge.

I agree that they missed a block in the back on the punt return. But this narrative that every close call went KC's way isn't true, especially when several that are being argued were obvious like the late hit at the end, the intentional grounding, and stopping the 3rd down play.
We'll have to agree to disagree. The last three possessions of the game were critical. May plays, like the stolen play and the pass interference, didn't result in scoring plays but they did result in critical field position making Cincy have to play much more conservatively.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The last three possessions of the game were critical. May plays, like the stolen play and the pass interference, didn't result in scoring plays but they did result in critical field position making Cincy have to play much more conservatively.
But again, the “stolen play” was the correct call, and was just as likely to impact both teams.

But again, the “stolen play” was the correct call, and was just as likely to impact both teams.
but it didn't and that's the point. Not only wasn't the play run, the the incompetence showed Cincy's cards and gave KC a virtual timeout to plan a play. That play resulted in a first down and 15 yards of field position.

Right there as in he was 2-3 yards down field. The pass into the turf didn't go past the LoS.
doesn't have to if there is a receiver in the vicinity. If you are going to call that, you need to start calling plays where QBs throw it into the team benches 15 yards over the WR head on the sideline.

Calling the PI a "close call" is riduclous, the WRs body was convulsing from the hit when the ball finally hit him in the hands.

doesn't have to if there is a receiver in the vicinity. If you are going to call that, you need to start calling plays where QBs throw it into the team benches 15 yards over the WR head on the sideline.

Look at the rule.

1) out of tackle box
2) cross the LoS

RB was the closest and he was multiple yards down the field. It was a textbook case. If this call were missed in a game vs Michigan, you would be livid.

KC earned the win. Cincy had its chances and I thought it was set up nicely for Joe Montana I mean Burrow to drive down and get the winning score. He could not deliver and Mahomes could at the end, ball game. Wonder if ol Cincy will get back to the SB? Would love to see the Stillers improve with Pickett and knock the Bungals back to where they belong, no playoffs or margonal playoff team.

KC earned the win. Cincy had its chances and I thought it was set up nicely for Joe Montana I mean Burrow to drive down and get the winning score. He could not deliver and Mahomes could at the end, ball game. Wonder if ol Cincy will get back to the SB? Would love to see the Stillers improve with Pickett and knock the Bungals back to where they belong, no playoffs or margonal playoff team.
I am hoping for the same "Would love to see the Stillers improve with Pickett and knock the Bungals back to where they belong, no playoffs or margonal playoff team." but with Joe and Chase that is gonna be tough keeping them down.....

Look at the rule.

1) out of tackle box
2) cross the LoS

RB was the closest and he was multiple yards down the field. It was a textbook case. If this call were missed in a game vs Michigan, you would be livid.
there are two ways to avoid intentional grounding:
1) the way you described
2) having a WR in the area, it doesn't matter in that case where the LOS is as long as there is an eligible receiver in the area......

2) having a WR in the area, it doesn't matter in that case where the LOS is as long as there is an eligible receiver in the area......

You can't throw the ball at the OLs feet when your RB is beyond the LoS by 3-4 yards. Am I remembering it wrong? I've not re-watched it, but there was no eligible receiver behind the LoS.

I am hoping for the same "Would love to see the Stillers improve with Pickett and knock the Bungals back to where they belong, no playoffs or margonal playoff team." but with Joe and Chase that is gonna be tough keeping them down.....
Yes, but the Stillers are improving. It does hinge on Pickett's continued development. Burrow is ahead of Pickett but hopefully Pickett closes the gap (probably not equal but close enough where it is not a significant disadvantage for the Stillers) and we can beat them for the division consistently. I agree it will be tough because of Burrow, Chase and Taylor is a good coach. You also have the Ravens and Lamar although I don't think he will stay in Baltimore. Nevertheless, Cincy does not have the advantage, NE, for example, had for years and years where they just waltzed to division title after division title, much stiffer competition for them.

there are two ways to avoid intentional grounding:
1) the way you described
It was grounding, get over it. He was in the pocket and throws it into the ground, the supposed "receivers" were running down the field. The Bungals lost fair and square and golden boy Burrow could not deliver in the clutch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT