ADVERTISEMENT

CNN Headline on Paterno

When U Park police would escalate an on campus investigation, who would it go to?
  1. Paterno
  2. Curley
  3. Schultz
  4. The Dean of the College of Ag.
You might get this one right.
In 2001 it would be none of the above. You should have listed Tom Harmon. Today that person is Keith Morris.

Not at all.

Of course not in your mind. You have pre-determined that everything Joe did related to this situation was wrong and had malicious intent. I am not trying to change your opinion. You have established it and will not change it. I'm just pointing out the mistakes in your logic.

A point that people love to beat into the ground. I never said he was police. He was responsible for the oversight of the campus police department.
You don't understand his role. He was responsible for the fiscal administration of the office.

Of course not in your mind. You have pre-determined that everything Joe did related to this situation was wrong and had malicious intent. I am not trying to change your opinion. You have established it and will not change it. I'm just pointing out the mistakes in your logic.
Did you not read where I said that I thought this was simply a case of Joe kicking the can down the road??? It is very recent in this thread, go find it.

Did you not read where I said that I thought this was simply a case of Joe kicking the can down the road??? It is very recent in this thread, go find it.

Again you use language to disparage what Joe did. Joe did exactly what he should have in his role. Exactly. I am telling you this from a position of one who deals with this sort of thing, not a Paterno apologist.

Reactions: Bob78
It's hard for the law and order profession to do their job in 2001 when no one reports the incident to them, eh?

Steve_dennis_grogan.jpg

Reactions: m.knox
Well that's your opinion. Schultz not being the police is a fact.
Funny...sometimes you say "call the police" and when asked who are the police, you say "call the authorities". Schultz was "the authorities". Paterno, and the MM family, knew that at least seven very accomplished people knew and that included the guy incharge of the police.

Why else would Schultz be included in that group if not for the reason he was the "authority" over the police?

Ganim (who I'm starting to think might actually be getmyjive) specifically writes in the article that McQueary's Report where he claims Joe told him he knew of TWO incidents was two weeks after the arrests. November 23, 2011.

It needs to be corrected. It was November 23, 2010. The article got it wrong.

Reactions: Zenophile
Again you use language to disparage what Joe did. Joe did exactly what he should have in his role. Exactly. I am telling you this from a position of one who deals with this sort of thing, not a Paterno apologist.
A better course of action would have been to contact police in addition to notifying Curley. I don't know why anyone would dispute that.

Funny...sometimes you say "call the police" and when asked who are the police, you say "call the authorities". Schultz was "the authorities". Paterno, and the MM family, knew that at least seven very accomplished people knew and that included the guy incharge of the police.

Why else would Schultz be included in that group if not for the reason he was the "authority" over the police?
I use the authorities because a call to the pa childline is appropriate as well. Telling the fiscal administrator of a crime is pretty worthless.

I use the authorities because a call to the pa childline is appropriate as well. Telling the fiscal administrator of a crime is pretty worthless.
wait....so they should have called the AD (per NCAA guidelines), Schultz (per NCAA guidelines), the police (is that 9-1-1?) and ow the pa hotline too? Should they have flagged down a meter maid and Dick Tracey too?

Reactions: pandaczar12
wait....so they should have called the AD (per NCAA guidelines), Schultz (per NCAA guidelines), the police (is that 9-1-1?) and ow the pa hotline too? Should they have flagged down a meter maid and Dick Tracey too?
Are you saying that suspected CSA doesn't need to be reported to police?

A better course of action would have been to contact police in addition to notifying Curley. I don't know why anyone would dispute that.

With the benefit of hindsight, sure. That applies to all the people that had knowledge of the situation. But looking at the actions of everybody that had knowledge of the situation, not one of them reacted in a way that made it appear that they knew they were dealing with a sexual assault.

Joe should have rented a plane with a banner, bought some billboards, and even took the microphone at football games to address the crowd. There is nothing he could have done that would satisfy the trolls, it would never be enough... until the point they could start saying that he did too much, and should have just reported per policy and moved on.

Especially since Joe received a watered down version of "horseplay". The only one that could suspect CSA was MM, to everyone else it's just untimely hearsay. 1 day later, 1 year later, 1 decade later... it doesn't matter, the time to act was in the moment or shortly thereafter. None of those people who were immediatly involved acted like it was CSA, or testified to CSA, hence it was not CSA.

With the benefit of hindsight, sure. That applies to all the people that had knowledge of the situation. But looking at the actions of everybody that had knowledge of the situation, not one of them reacted in a way that made it appear that they knew they were dealing with a sexual assault.
Except that Paterno himself said it was of a sexual nature.

Ten years later, correct.
I'm talking about actions at the time. He was at least the fourth person with knowledge of the incident (Mike, his father, Dranov) and all of them- including the witness- reacted in a way that doesn't indicate the urgency that would be expected of a sexual assault being enacted upon a child.

Schultz was the administrative head of the police department. Given that role, it seems he was made aware of certain events. But, he is technically not the police, despite what Mike testified to.

You are changing the rules and trying to deflect. That is on MM, not Joe Paterno. Joe didn't see anything. Joe had an employee report that HE had seen something. Joe did, as I've stated 100 times and that the NCAA concluded was the right thing to do; report it to the AD and to someone outside the vertical sports reporting structure.

Moreover, we have recent testimony from Dranov and Sr McQ stating that they did not think that the police needed to be called based upon what they were told. Curley stated much the same. Yet, GMJ wants to hang his (or her if it is Ganim) on the fact that Mike awoke that Saturday morning and decided to tell Paterno and only Paterno a completely different story than everyone else. Even Mike said that he told Paterno a watered down version of whatever he heard/witnessed.

Ten years later, correct.
I'm talking about actions at the time. He was at least the fourth person with knowledge of the incident (Mike, his father, Dranov) and all of them- including the witness- reacted in a way that doesn't indicate the urgency that would be expected of a sexual assault being enacted upon a child.
Yes, we know they failed. You still have Dranov saying that Mike referred to sexual sounds yet he still believes that does not necessitate a call to police. As a mandatory reporter, you know that is wrong.

Paterno knew that this incident was sexual. The lack of action is not because they didn't understand what was going on. They collectively failed.

he was more than the "financial administrator" and you know it. He was over campus security and had all of those resources at his fingertips.

If you don't believe that, you have to ask yourself why was Schultz brought in at all? Why anybody else? And, if you brought another person in, why Schultz? Why not the attorney or anyone else? Schultz was brought in because he was in charge of campus security. Anything else is a lie.

Reactions: Royal_Coaster
When was Paterno told this information? Was it 2001 when EVERYBODY"S actions clearly indicated otherwise?

Or was it during the refresher course that Mike gave to him prior to Paterno's GJ appearance in 2011? At that point in time, MCQ was already in over his head trying to keep his stories straight.

Yes, we know they failed. You still have Dranov saying that Mike referred to sexual sounds yet he still believes that does not necessitate a call to police. As a mandatory reporter, you know that is wrong.

Paterno knew that this incident was sexual. The lack of action is not because they didn't understand what was going on. They collectively failed.
Doesn't matter. Paterno did what Paterno should have done. Two years of study by the NCAA....and they come up with a policy stating a coach should do EXACTLY as Paterno did.

They have different levels of responsibility. Could Joe have called the police? Sure. Would he have been within his rights to do so? Sure. But I think what he did was reasonable considering he was getting the information a day after the incident occurred. He got the information to the people at the university that were responsible for such matters. I have no idea why they didn't do more with the report.
Also, I have no idea why a 27 year old man would see what he claims was a sexual assault on a minor and not report it to the police. I have no idea why the 2nd Mike leadership did not take the situation more seriously.

They have different levels of responsibility. Could Joe have called the police? Sure. Would he have been within his rights to do so? Sure. But I think what he did was reasonable considering he was getting the information a day after the incident occurred. He got the information to the people at the university that were responsible for such matters. I have no idea why they didn't do more with the report.
Also, I have no idea why a 27 year old man would see what he claims was a sexual assault on a minor and not report it to the police. I have no idea why the 2nd Mike leadership did not take the situation more seriously.
Would you agree that as a mandatory reporter, Dranov failed in his duties?

he was more than the "financial administrator" and you know it. He was over campus security and had all of those resources at his fingertips.

If you don't believe that, you have to ask yourself why was Schultz brought in at all? Why anybody else? And, if you brought another person in, why Schultz? Why not the attorney or anyone else? Schultz was brought in because he was in charge of campus security. Anything else is a lie.
No he was not in charge of campus security. That was Tom Harmon.

been a busy weekend, sorry if this has already addressed, but I am f**king confused today

according to Ganim's new "story", Mike claims Joe said that 2001 was the "second" complaint about Sandusky

what was the first? 1998? 1976? the other 1970s report?? WTF??

do people really not understand how words work??

can someone who isn't a relentless, idiotic turd answer this question?

When was Paterno told this information? Was it 2001 when EVERYBODY"S actions clearly indicated otherwise?

Or was it during the refresher course that Mike gave to him prior to Paterno's GJ appearance in 2011? At that point in time, MCQ was already in over his head trying to keep his stories straight.
It was in 2001 per his testimony. If you don't agree with Joe himself, there's not much you can do now.

You must have missed this post~> https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/cnn-headline-on-paterno.183210/page-8#post-2969601
I'll repost it below for your convenience.
What did the university procedure say in February 2001 about reporting suspected sex assaults?

If you find a copy of it, you'll have your answer.

Right after he became president, Erickson appointed an Ethics Officer specifically to review whether procedures were properly followed. Let me know when you find his report.

The DOE specifically asked PSU for all their procedures from 2001(2002). Five years later they released their Clery Act report. Let me know where find the relevant procedures cited in that report.

The NCAA specifically asked PSU to cite whether they had procedures in 2001(2002) and whether or not they were followed. Let me know when you find any hint that PSU provided those procedures to the NCAA.

Frazier informed the board (twice) that Freeh was reviewing all the procedures from 2001. Freeh's press release states he reviewed all the relevant procedures. Let me know when you find where he either cites or includes the relevant procedure for reporting sex assault anywhere in the Freeh Report.

I think so, yes. But again, I don't know exactly what was said. The reactions of all at the time seem to indicate that Mike saw a weird situation but not a sexual assault.
Would you agree with that?
Jive, I think there is probably a lot of common ground here between you and me. The impression I get is that you are cemented into a position of "Joe is to blame" and I don't agree with that.

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT