ADVERTISEMENT

Cody Brewer to NLWC

Didn't see that coming. Pretty good addition to the room though, national champ to the light weights.
Wow--that is news! I had to look up where he's from--Missouri. Interesting that he would come all the way out east. Will definitely be a boon to our lightweights!! I love watching him wrestle. Although Garrett's fall in semis this year was exciting, it kept us from seeing how the match would have played out over 7 minutes. Great addition!!

Reactions: JohnDoe2125
So here's the question, what's his international weight? He's probably a perfect 61kg guy. I guess he really doesn't have to worry about Olympic weights any time soon.

Didn't see that coming. Pretty good addition to the room though, national champ to the light weights.
Spencer better rethink his decision. Hear is another National Champion in our room now !!!! Wow that should be a no brain decision for him to reach ALL his goals !!!! Plus wrestle for the state he loves !!!!

Wow--that is news! I had to look up where he's from--Missouri. Interesting that he would come all the way out east. Will definitely be a boon to our lightweights!! I love watching him wrestle. Although Garrett's fall in semis this year was exciting, it kept us from seeing how the match would have played out over 7 minutes. Great addition!!
I think if that match goes the distance Cody wins. Garrett knew he had to try to surprise him quick !!!!

From the article...

The Nittany Lion Wrestling Club just got a whole lot tougher when 2015 NCAA champion Cody Brewer announced that he is accepted a position at the club. Brewer joins a strong contingent of lightweights in State College, headlined by 2016 Olympian Frank Molinaro.

“I just think for me I really like the club guys, and a lot of them have the same goals as I do. I think I need a change its always good to learn from different coaches and different people.”

Brewer also listed additional reasons for joining the NLWC stating a different atmosphere and the benefits of experience of being somewhere new.

“I’m excited to work with Cael in general and to pick his mind.” Brewer added, “Also working with club guys and picking their minds and see what I can learn from all of them.”​

http://takedownwrestle.com/wrestlin...rewer-to-train-at-the-nittany-wrestling-club/

Also from the article...

Just this past season, the [NLWC] Club’s Regional Training Center received a tremendous boost when the U.S. Army World Class Athlete Program (WCAP) decided to move their freestyle wrestlers to the State College area to train with the NLWC Resident Athletes.

These athletes are entirely funded by the U.S. Army, but they train under the direction of the NLWC coaching staff.

=====

List of those training at the NLWC and the Army WCAP are at the link.

http://takedownwrestle.com/wrestlin...rewer-to-train-at-the-nittany-wrestling-club/

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
All I'm going to say is that those coming out of HS soon should be evaluating a school/training center based not on its current status but what the vision is for the future. I'm pushing all of my chips in for Cael and the NLWC and recruits should too if they want to realize their dreams.

Cody Brewer learned to wrestle better from a baseball comparison. Info at the linked article, written after his 2015 NCAA Championship.

Former Oak Park wrestler Cody Brewer savors winning NCAA championship

Oklahoma junior Cody Brewer, who won four Missouri state wrestling titles at Oak Park and was The Star’s 2011 All-Metro wrestler of the year, put on a thoroughly dominating performance during the NCAA Division I wrestling national tournament despite entering the tourney as the No. 13 seed. Brewer finished his title run with an 11-8 win against third-seeded Cory Clark of Iowa.

Read more here:
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/article16036907.html#storylink=cpy

All I'm going to say is that those coming out of HS soon should be evaluating a school/training center based not on its current status but what the vision is for the future. I'm pushing all of my chips in for Cael and the NLWC and recruits should too if they want to realize their dreams.
Exactly. Cael is still only 7 years into his tenure. Lots of room to grow and improve the program and Club.

Reactions: T J and jschrantz
Also from the article...

Just this past season, the [NLWC] Club’s Regional Training Center received a tremendous boost when the U.S. Army World Class Athlete Program (WCAP) decided to move their freestyle wrestlers to the State College area to train with the NLWC Resident Athletes.

These athletes are entirely funded by the U.S. Army, but they train under the direction of the NLWC coaching staff.

=====

List of those training at the NLWC and the Army WCAP are at the link.

The list of NLWC members is missing the reigning NCAA champ at 125

Reactions: amalone
Cael only has 9 National Champs in the NLWC, 3 Olympic gold medalists and a newly minted Olympic qualifier. And a bevy of world medalists who visit on a revolving basis. What a conundrum. Whom do I wrestle today in the room? Should I wrestle a National Champ, a world medalist or an Olympic gold medalist or an Olympic qualifier today and get a lesson in humility? o_O

Cael can't coach, but he can prevent you from getting to your goals by preventing you from ever getting a take down on him. That is coaching... isn't it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Great addition. The first 3 guys will in my opinion really benefit from this addition.

What about Nico, Cyler Sanderson, Q, and Mac? Second former sooner to member after Ware. Wonder what the capacity is for NLWC.

Garrett won 14-9 at CKLV.

I saw that match and Brewer hit a big 6-point move, but most of the rest of the match was Garrett's. Not saying it would have played out that way if the match had gone the distance at NCAA's, but Garrett out-wrestled Brewer the first time they met. BTW--that CKLV match is fa fun one to watch if you have a chance.

Could this help us with Fix????
Not exactly sure if there's a relationship or not between the two. Some say Fix is a lock for Oklahoma State. Brewer went to Oklahoma. Are you thinking maybe they worked out at same training center or club before this announcement.

Move on regarding Spencer. There was alot more to his decision than WO partners... Besides, Iowa has some good ones, too. Nevertheless, CS doesn't play games with recruits. He will reel in some good ones. Fix? I'm not counting on it.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I want to mint that pile on... in GOLD... which Spencer Lee will never see in a team perspective. When I say NEVER.. as IN NEVER.

Reactions: lionlover
I think that's the guy who posted a video interview with Mark Hall months before Hall committed to PSU. In the accompanying story, he said he thought Hall was leaning toward Penn State, which brought him ridicule throughout the midwest.

Weirdly, even though he appears in his videos himself, his name is nowhere to be found on the website.

Is this a new website?
Never heard of it before.
Who is this guy?

It's not a new website. I've linked interviews from it several times in the past.

As for "who is this guy," my memory is failing me. I talked with him at the PSU @ Rider dual, and also at the Ohio State @ PSU dual. He told me his name at the Rider dual. At the Ohio State dual we kind of just picked up our conversation, and didn't even mention names. He does have a background in wrestling, though right now I think it's limited to the web site, and coaching his kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT