ADVERTISEMENT

Country club membership costs?

There are two clubs in Ligonier, PA. They are The Rolling Rock Club, old old, old money. Also Laurel Valley golf club. You should check them out. They are really affordable, something like 75k a year I think for starters. My son worked at the R&R club and one time was tasked to go build a fire in the fire place in the room of Tucker Carlson. Man to have that kind of Jinga.
Rolling Rock was the private Mellon estate. Donald Ross is credited for 9 holes. It used to be mentioned as "the best" 9 hole in US. They built a second 9 in late 90s.

Rolling Rock is/was very prestigious. Large international membership. However, people go to RRC for hunting, fishing, shooting, etc. And maybe for golf. I would not rank it a great golf course however, I would say it is a great experience if you get a chance to go there.

Laurel Valley is a much better golf course and a great experience. Also an international membership and until late 80's only corporate members.

Ligonier CC is a mile down the road. It caters to the locals and is nice but not as fancy. Same with Latrobe about 10 miles away.

I'd say Fox Chapel is next. Long Vue is nice too. Fox Chapel is probably more exclusive than Oakmont actually. Oakmont is more about your USGA index than your old money creds.

Fox Chapel GC used to be very exclusive, but not so much anymore. I mean, not just anybody can get in there, but 30 years ago you had to be able to hang with the Mellons and the Scaifes to get in. Nowadays, you just need to be able to afford it. I remember playing in an event there once, and even the guys who cleaned the toilets treated us all like garbage. Longue Vue is a nice course, but they've had their share of financial issues, like all of the non top-tier clubs, and they aren't top-tier. As I said before, Oakmont's on a different plane. They aren't really a local club anymore, as they aspire to a more national membership. Their membership list is pretty impressive, actually, but the great majority of newer members don't live in western PA. Truth be told, the true exclusive club in the Pittsburgh area is Allegheny Country Club in Sewickley (not Sewickley Heights GC, which is wannabe haven for the people who couldn't get in to ACC). Allegheny's a great course; I really don't know what it costs to get in there. I assume it's a lot.

Fox Chapel GC used to be very exclusive, but not so much anymore. I mean, not just anybody can get in there, but 30 years ago you had to be able to hang with the Mellons and the Scaifes to get in. Nowadays, you just need to be able to afford it. I remember playing in an event there once, and even the guys who cleaned the toilets treated us all like garbage. Longue Vue is a nice course, but they've had their share of financial issues, like all of the non top-tier clubs, and they aren't top-tier. As I said before, Oakmont's on a different plane. They aren't really a local club anymore, as they aspire to a more national membership. Their membership list is pretty impressive, actually, but the great majority of newer members don't live in western PA. Truth be told, the true exclusive club in the Pittsburgh area is Allegheny Country Club in Sewickley (not Sewickley Heights GC, which is wannabe haven for the people who couldn't get in to ACC). Allegheny's a great course; I really don't know what it costs to get in there. I assume it's a lot.
Yeah - I'm removed by both time and distance a bit. Oakmont seems like Pine Valley to me - hundreds and hundreds of members. Like others have said - the best members are the ones you see twice a year. Seminole (w/ Ford now) has sort of the same aspects, but is probably more selective w/ a smaller membership - and they do live down here in the winter.

I joined an outstanding club (always rated one of the Top Ten courses in IL by Golf Digest in their bi-annual ratings) back in 1985.

Took two years to get in and my initiation was approx $14,000. (It’s a non-equity club but am a 1/300th owner.) Today even with the virus we have a full membership and our wait list is approx 18 months. Current initiation is approx $75,000.

Monthly dues are a little under $1,000. Annual food min varies from year to year but is approx $2,000.

The biggest change over the years is in the last 5+ years or so we’ve added attractive membership opportunities for junior members.....sorry, I don’t know the details.

Effective April 1 I became a Sr Regular Member = monthly dues dropped to approx $500. This happens at age 70 plus 25 or more years of membership.

Golf is essentially free but you have cart and/or caddie fees.....we strongly support the Evans Scholar Program.

Living 20 miles from the club I’ve certainly never used it as much as I should.....and I don’t play as much now as when I joined as a 5-6 handicapper.....but it’s always a great feeling to have taken so many guests out over the years and have them play a course that hosted the US Open In 1922 and have them read the memorial to Gene Sarazen on the 18th tee.

Will walk away on of these days....but not yet!

Strange to have played my first round of the year yesterday. IL requires twosomes only, 15 minutes apart, no carts/caddies. A quiet stroll in the park!
And the f@&#%* never stopped by despite being 0.6 mile from me on the nearest hole. :rolleyes::)

Last I looked, Oakmont's fee was $150K, most of which was a bond. That's still a hefty fee, and it doesn't matter, you aren't getting in, most likely. They'd prefer you be a rich guy from the west coast or the South, who will come in a few times a year with a group of wealthy friends to play a couple of rounds and spend money in the clubhouse.

Pittsburgh Golf Club is around $55K to get in, but that's only you. If you want your family/wife to be involved, you're going to pay double. Truth is, though, there's not much of a waiting list here anymore. It's a beautiful club, though. They'd prefer you to be Protestant, but I guess that is going away.

Pittsburgh Field Club is a touch cheaper, but you don't want to bother there if you can afford the Golf Club. The Golf Club's course is a whole lot better, and the food's better. True, the Golf Club is a bit more waspy, but the Field Club is filled with wannabe's. New money, with no taste.
Isn’t that Schenley Park. Lol. What about Allegheny CC? Swickley Heights?

I lived in the Pittsburgh area during the 80's and belonged to a very nice club on the east suburbs.

My feeling back then was Allegheny was the old money, blue bloods. Wonderful course. IIRC it had a local rule on the score card "If your ball comes to rest in a hoof print, you may take free relief."

Fox Chapel was the "new money" . More the corporate leaders who settled in Fox Chapel with the "big" estates. Great, great golf course.

Field Club or Sewickley Heights were just a thread below for those who were wealthy, but not that "upper crust". Still good courses. Sewickley may be toughest behind Oakmont.

As mentioned, Oakmont has become an International venue. During the week, mostly guest/outing type play. Other than Pine Valley, Oakmont is the best I have ever played. Better than Merion or any other Philly course, and I have played most.

I lived in the Pittsburgh area during the 80's and belonged to a very nice club on the east suburbs.

My feeling back then was Allegheny was the old money, blue bloods. Wonderful course. IIRC it had a local rule on the score card "If your ball comes to rest in a hoof print, you may take free relief."

Fox Chapel was the "new money" . More the corporate leaders who settled in Fox Chapel with the "big" estates. Great, great golf course.

Field Club or Sewickley Heights were just a thread below for those who were wealthy, but not that "upper crust". Still good courses. Sewickley may be toughest behind Oakmont.

As mentioned, Oakmont has become an International venue. During the week, mostly guest/outing type play. Other than Pine Valley, Oakmont is the best I have ever played. Better than Merion or any other Philly course, and I have played most.
I'll say this - there are more good private clubs in Philly by far than in Pittsburgh. Many are limited in length due to the neighborhood proximities, but there's just one after another in Philly. My friend just took the job at White Manor - redone by Bobby Weed in 2003. That's some serious foresight imo because he wasn't exactly the household name he is now. Place looks perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu_1294
I'm very happy as a member at Toftrees. We're going with a new membership rate this year. Individual plan is $2800 per year, no initiation, no cart fees, no minimums. Best value in State College if you play as much as I do. The Field gives you the best environment around for post round food and cocktails too (members get 20% off food orders)..

Last edited:
I'm very happy as a member at Toftrees. We're going with a new membership rate this year. Individual plan is $2800 per year, no intiation, no cart fees, no minimums. Best value in State College if you play as much as I do. The Field gives you the best environment around for post round food and cocktails too (members get 20% off food orders)..
That's stealing.

Reactions: BucksLion52
Fox Chapel has stables and skeet shooting. Game over, right?
Pittsburgh Field Club used to have trap shooting, don't know if it still does. I watched my high school buddy Dave Fuhrer shoot there once. His dad - Frank B. Fuhrer, Jr. sponsored an Invitational there for a few years, I believe. Dave's brother - Frank, played on the PGA circuit for a few years until his dad told him it was time to start learning the family business.

I'll say this - there are more good private clubs in Philly by far than in Pittsburgh. Many are limited in length due to the neighborhood proximities, but there's just one after another in Philly. My friend just took the job at White Manor - redone by Bobby Weed in 2003. That's some serious foresight imo because he wasn't exactly the household name he is now. Place looks perfect.
White Manor did a great job on their redo. I enjoy WM very much.

Huntington Valley (other than Merion and Aronomink) was always my favorite. You better know where it's going. For sure.
I play a Wm Flynn designed course. Huntington Valley is a Flynn and a good one.

We play annually at other Flynn’s around the country. Last year we went to Cleveland and played The Country Club and Pepper Pike Club. What a treat!

This thread should be meshed with Ro’s thread on what we do for a living.
Have to say, fellas, some of you spend an obscene amount on your golfing and club lifestyle.
Nice gig if you afford it. A lot of people in or retired from education on this board, like me, who hit the public course for $30 or so.
Enjoy it my friends,
:cool:

OL

The private clubs I got to play around Princeton NJ were often used for corporate memberships for lawyers, bankers, insurance brokers, etc. and they were all pretty pricey. Sometimes they would host charitable outings. Jasna Polana TPC was the nicest among them. It’s built on the old Johnson and Johnson estate and the clubhouse may be the nicest of anywhere in the country. Cherry Valley, Bedans Brook, and Foresgate (36 holes) were some of the others I think they all cost at least $50,000 to join.

Now that I spend golf season at the shore, I have found a number of very good courses to play, some of which have country club amenities at daily fee rates. Harbor Pines, Greate Bay, Avalon, and Mays Landing CC have become my go to spots. As I get older I find myself looking for easier tracks or I just play from the foreward tees to give myself a decent chance at reaching the greens in regulation.

Last edited:
How does reciprocity typically work? As a member of Hershey Country Club (hypothetically), could I play at other country clubs when on vacation?

Out of curiosity, I looked up Hershey and apparently they are offering some type of joint membership with CC of Harrisburg.

The private clubs I got to play around Princeton NJ were often used for corporate memberships for lawyers, bankers, insurance brokers, etc. and they were all pretty pricey. Sometimes they would host charitable outings. Jasna Polana TPC was the nicest among them. It’s built on the old Johnson and Johnson estate and the clubhouse may be the nicest of anywhere in the country. Cherry Valley, Bedans Brook, and Foresgate (36 holes) were some of the others I think they all cost at least $50,000 to join.

Now that I spend golf season at the shore, I have found a number of very good courses to play, some of which have country club amenities at daily fee rates. Harbor Pines, Greate Bay, Avalon, and Mays Landing CC have become my go to spots. As I get older I find myself looking for easier tracks or I just play from the foreward tees to give myself a decent chance at reaching the greens in regulation.
My friend left Cherry Valley last year to take the job down here at NPBCC.

How does reciprocity typically work? As a member of Hershey Country Club (hypothetically), could I play at other country clubs when on vacation?

Out of curiosity, I looked up Hershey and apparently they are offering some type of joint membership with CC of Harrisburg.
Typically you ask the head pro of your club call the club that you are interested in playing to inquire about reciprocity. Being Hershey CC your chances are pretty good due to it being a tourism hotspot. A generic CC may not have as much success as a Hershey or other big name clubs.

Edit: the reciprocity may only allow you to play, not to play for free.

If you are in good with your club pro, they can often set up tee times at another course, while you are away. You typically should expect to pay the guest round rate, cart, caddy fees. Sometimes rates are discounted. As far as local golf club reciprocity , it still works the same, you have to schedule tee times through your club pro. If the clubs operate moneyless, they can bill things back to your home club account, or at some you use a CC.
The more prestigious your club, the better the possibilities . The better connected your club pro is the better the possibilities.
You should tip the pro for setting up the away game.
When you play as a guest at the other clubs be very nice, and tip freely. It impacts the way your club is viewed, and it impacts future guest rounds from your club.

Last edited:

Stone Harbor is a sweet club. I don't think it's priced to crazy. Staff there is awesome.

Have to say, fellas, some of you spend an obscene amount on your golfing and club lifestyle.
Nice gig if you afford it. A lot of people in or retired from education on this board, like me, who hit the public course for $30 or so.
Enjoy it my friends,

OL

OL, yeah, I look back over 35 years, yikes, what have I done! Club lifestyle, for me not really since I live 20 miles away and am single. But I belong because I love to golf and it is a GREAT golf course with a GREAT history.

But divorced since 1997 with no (known) children, it’s my only (admitted) vice other than PSU and season tickets from 1981-2006.

Have a very modest house, modest car (9 year old Honda CR-V), modest life.

Was raised much more likely to caddie at a club than to belong to a club. And about 5-6 years ago, I did caddie at a club.....went to one of my local clubs early in the season, explained my situation and offered to caddie twice a week until all their regular caddies showed up. Lost a few pounds, made some pocket money AND got to play the course several times. Especially fun the few Ladies Day Tuesdays that I worked!

OL, yeah, I look back over 35 years, yikes, what have I done! Club lifestyle, for me not really since I live 20 miles away and am single. But I belong because I love to golf and it is a GREAT golf course with a GREAT history.

But divorced since 1997 with no (known) children, it’s my only (admitted) vice other than PSU and season tickets from 1981-2006.

Have a very modest house, modest car (9 year old Honda CR-V), modest life.

Was raised much more likely to caddie at a club than to belong to a club. And about 5-6 years ago, I did caddie at a club.....went to one of my local clubs early in the season, explained my situation and offered to caddie twice a week until all their regular caddies showed up. Lost a few pounds, made some pocket money AND got to play the course several times. Especially fun the few Ladies Day Tuesdays that I worked!

Reactions: psu_1294
Enjoy it my friends,

OL
Nothing wrong with public courses. If they are in decent condition or have a "history", I enjoy playing there.

For me, it's all about who you get to play with. Whether it's your weekly foursome who play a Nassau for a few bucks (you learn quickly who plays at the $$ you are comfortable with) or a group of 16-20 that chooses sides, throws in whatever $$ and plays for the pot. It's like Michael Jordan said last night, "Do I have a gambling problem?, No, I have a competition problem!" I love to compete. By the way, the beer tastes the same at a $30 public course as a high end private club (usually just costs few bucks more:) ).

I have often told people that I am probably in the lowest 5% of net worth at the club I belong. I have joined very inexpensive places where we actually had a lot of teachers as members. They really got their money's worth in the summer, then you rarely saw them. Now, I am fortunate to belong to a pretty high end place. Because I moved several times with my job (retired now), I have belonged to 7 country clubs, only one at any given time. Believe it or not, I have never been in a country club pool!

When Caddyshack first came out, I didn't like it. I am a golf traditionalist and they were "mocking my favorite pastime"!

However, I have watched it numerous times (I have a copy) and I laugh more and more each time. If you are a member of a "stuffy" club, you look at the movie characters and situations and say, "Yep, we have that guy and we have that guy and that caddie, that has happened here, etc" We even have a few Lacy Underalls! Our greens keeper is not deranged but I might be concerned about members of our grounds crew. They may not use plastic explosives, but they might go after that gopher with an AK 47 or a flame thrower.

Penn State works for me. I get two walkable courses and unlimited range balls (plus a few other items) for only $1,500. The courses could be better but the condition is reasonable. I am not looking for a restaurant, pool or networking opportunities. I just want to golf and when you are a member you tend to only play where you belong so the 36 holes puts it over the top for me in the Centre Region.

Reactions: kevin310
Nothing wrong with public courses. If they are in decent condition or have a "history", I enjoy playing there.

For me, it's all about who you get to play with. Whether it's your weekly foursome who play a Nassau for a few bucks (you learn quickly who plays at the $$ you are comfortable with) or a group of 16-20 that chooses sides, throws in whatever $$ and plays for the pot. It's like Michael Jordan said last night, "Do I have a gambling problem?, No, I have a competition problem!" I love to compete. By the way, the beer tastes the same at a $30 public course as a high end private club (usually just costs few bucks more:) ).

I have often told people that I am probably in the lowest 5% of net worth at the club I belong. I have joined very inexpensive places where we actually had a lot of teachers as members. They really got their money's worth in the summer, then you rarely saw them. Now, I am fortunate to belong to a pretty high end place. Because I moved several times with my job (retired now), I have belonged to 7 country clubs, only one at any given time. Believe it or not, I have never been in a country club pool!

I certainly am there in the lowest 5% and would probably bet the basset hound that of 300 regular members I would be in the bottom 10!

Play a lot of nice public courses too as I have several good long-time friends and I can’t take them to my club all the time (limited to six times per guest per year).

Yeah, I laughed when you said you never had been in your pool. I was in on occasion back after I joined in 1985, but in the last 20-30 years the only reason I’ve gotten near the pool is to grab a milkshake from the snack bar for the ride home!

Atlantic City CC is one of the better public ones in the area with a history.

Reactions: Nitwit
I joined an outstanding club (always rated one of the Top Ten courses in IL by Golf Digest in their bi-annual ratings) back in 1985.

Took two years to get in and my initiation was approx $14,000. (It’s a non-equity club but am a 1/300th owner.) Today even with the virus we have a full membership and our wait list is approx 18 months. Current initiation is approx $75,000.

Monthly dues are a little under $1,000. Annual food min varies from year to year but is approx $2,000.

The biggest change over the years is in the last 5+ years or so we’ve added attractive membership opportunities for junior members.....sorry, I don’t know the details.

Effective April 1 I became a Sr Regular Member = monthly dues dropped to approx $500. This happens at age 70 plus 25 or more years of membership.

Golf is essentially free but you have cart and/or caddie fees.....we strongly support the Evans Scholar Program.

Living 20 miles from the club I’ve certainly never used it as much as I should.....and I don’t play as much now as when I joined as a 5-6 handicapper.....but it’s always a great feeling to have taken so many guests out over the years and have them play a course that hosted the US Open In 1922 and have them read the memorial to Gene Sarazen on the 18th tee.

Will walk away on of these days....but not yet!

Strange to have played my first round of the year yesterday. IL requires twosomes only, 15 minutes apart, no carts/caddies. A quiet stroll in the park!
Hey, IllinoisLion. In Fall of 2018, I came out to Chicago and played in the Wm. Flynn Invitational at Glen View Club. That was a great golf experience.

I wish I knew you were a member at Skokie. I would have wrangled an invite!! ;) That was originally a Ross, no? I played a Ross for 12 years, Edgewood CC in Pittsburgh. It was not one of his top 10 or 20 or so, but certainly had some Ross traits.

Hey, I

Hey, IllinoisLion. In Fall of 2018, I came out to Chicago and played in the Wm. Flynn Invitational at Glen View Club. That was a great golf experience.

I wish I knew you were a member at Skokie. I would have wrangled an invite!! ;) That was originally a Ross, no? I played a Ross for 12 years, Edgewood CC in Pittsburgh. It was not one of his top 10 or 20 or so, but certainly had some Ross traits.

You have an invite whenever you are out this way, just let me know. My game certainly won’t impress you but I know SCC (and Ross) will!

Typically you ask the head pro of your club call the club that you are interested in playing to inquire about reciprocity. Being Hershey CC your chances are pretty good due to it being a tourism hotspot. A generic CC may not have as much success as a Hershey or other big name clubs.

Edit: the reciprocity may only allow you to play, not to play for free.

One of the advantages that Toftrees in State College offers is that it's a Marriott run property so we get reciprocity at most of their other courses around the world (we pay cart fees only).

Complete List:

United States:
Camelback – Scottsdale, Arizona
Starr Pass – Tucson, Arizona
Cattails – Kingsport, Tennessee
Stone Mountain – Stone Mountain, Georgia
Desert Springs – Palm Desert, California
Marco Island Golf Club – Naples, Florida
Gaylord Springs – Nashville, Tennessee
The Ritz-Carlton Members Club – Sarasota, Florida
Grande Vista – Orlando, Florida
The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club – Orlando, Florida
Griffin Gate – Lexington, Kentucky
The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee - Georgia
Hawk’s Landing – Orlando, Florida
Toftrees – State College, Pennsylvania
Vinoy – St. Petersburg, Florida
Westfields – Clifton, Virginia
Wildfire – Phoenix, Arizona
Shadow Ridge – Palm Desert, California

International
Pine Cliffs Resort – Albufeira, Portugal
Westin La Quinta Resort – Marbella, Spain
Penha Longa – Sintra, Portugal
Sheraton Colonia Golf Resort – Uruguay
Sheraton Deva Resort – Bourail, New Caledonia
Arabella Resort – Western Cape, South Africa
The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club – Grand Cayman Denarau
Fiji Golf & Racquet Club – Nadi, Fiji
Mirage City – Cairo, Egypt
Breadsall Priory – Derby, England
Forest of Arden – Meriden, England
St. Pierre – Chepstow, Wales
Hanbury Manor – Hertfordshire, England
Tudor Park – Maidstone, England
La Iguana – Playa Herradura, Costa Rica
Worsley Park – Manchester, England

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
That’s a great point. It’s shocking the number of members that not only belong to another local club but as well as a club in FL or AZ where they spend their winters.

Many clubs offer out of state memberships at deep discounts. That’s one way people can afford to join multiple clubs. Of course the other is to be filthy rich.

One of the advantages that Toftrees in State College offers is that it's a Marriott run property so we get reciprocity at most of their other courses around the world (we pay cart fees only).

Complete List:

United States:
Camelback – Scottsdale, Arizona
Starr Pass – Tucson, Arizona
Cattails – Kingsport, Tennessee
Stone Mountain – Stone Mountain, Georgia
Desert Springs – Palm Desert, California
Marco Island Golf Club – Naples, Florida
Gaylord Springs – Nashville, Tennessee
The Ritz-Carlton Members Club – Sarasota, Florida
Grande Vista – Orlando, Florida
The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club – Orlando, Florida
Griffin Gate – Lexington, Kentucky
The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee - Georgia
Hawk’s Landing – Orlando, Florida
Toftrees – State College, Pennsylvania
Vinoy – St. Petersburg, Florida
Westfields – Clifton, Virginia
Wildfire – Phoenix, Arizona
Shadow Ridge – Palm Desert, California

International
Pine Cliffs Resort – Albufeira, Portugal
Westin La Quinta Resort – Marbella, Spain
Penha Longa – Sintra, Portugal
Sheraton Colonia Golf Resort – Uruguay
Sheraton Deva Resort – Bourail, New Caledonia
Arabella Resort – Western Cape, South Africa
The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club – Grand Cayman Denarau
Fiji Golf & Racquet Club – Nadi, Fiji
Mirage City – Cairo, Egypt
Breadsall Priory – Derby, England
Forest of Arden – Meriden, England
St. Pierre – Chepstow, Wales
Hanbury Manor – Hertfordshire, England
Tudor Park – Maidstone, England
La Iguana – Playa Herradura, Costa Rica
Worsley Park – Manchester, England

Miraj City has a hell of a sand trap.

Reactions: UncleLar
Rolling Rock was the private Mellon estate. Donald Ross is credited for 9 holes. It used to be mentioned as "the best" 9 hole in US. They built a second 9 in late 90s.

Rolling Rock is/was very prestigious. Large international membership. However, people go to RRC for hunting, fishing, shooting, etc. And maybe for golf. I would not rank it a great golf course however, I would say it is a great experience if you get a chance to go there.

Laurel Valley is a much better golf course and a great experience. Also an international membership and until late 80's only corporate members.

Ligonier CC is a mile down the road. It caters to the locals and is nice but not as fancy. Same with Latrobe about 10 miles away.
1294 I had the opportunity to play there a couple years ago. while I was ruining the carpet that had very very little play I continued to think about the dignitaries and Presidents, leaders of the world who played there. Surreal to me. Never played Laurel Valley but was able to watch a few PGA events. I live a mile away from Arnie's Country Club. Have you played any of these courses? Take care.

1294 I had the opportunity to play there a couple years ago. while I was ruining the carpet that had very very little play I continued to think about the dignitaries and Presidents, leaders of the world who played there. Surreal to me. Never played Laurel Valley but was able to watch a few PGA events. I live a mile away from Arnie's Country Club. Have you played any of these courses? Take care.
Never played Rolling Rock. Have been there. Beautiful grounds.

Played Laurel Valley several times in late 80’s early 90’s. I love Arnie, but he used to tinker with LV (he was not the original designer). One year he changed the greens by adding steep slopes and run offs. Very confusing. Then I went back a year or two later and it was changed back to softer slopes and subtle breaks. One of most beautiful courses I have played. Great experience.

Latrobe CC is a nice small town club. If not for Arnie, might be public or gone by now. Played there one time. Nothing special but nice for a town like Latrobe. Latrobe also has an Elks Country Club that used to be good but has slipped over the years.

Like I said, I love Arnie but am not a fan of his designs. In general I think he overthought his green complexes. Don’t like Player’s designs either. Nicklaus and Norman and of course, Fazio and Dye, even Arthur Hills, are much better, in my mind.

So, since we morphed onto other topics

Anyone have experience with Deering Bay Yacht and Country Club in South Florida? A friend was looking into it, but he does not golf, and he wanted to "join just to have a place to go, have a drink and relax"...I got the impression from looking at their site that they tend to lean towards business movers and shakers, but I could be wrong. I would hate to have him pony up five figures and it turns out to be a waste of money and time for him.

Deering Bay sure is south. I did a little tee line for them years ago and the D.O.G. was driving me around and showed me where the everglades meets the ocean and where crocs would fight gators - which was all I cared about from then on, and kept wanting him to take me back there.

Used to hold an LPGA event years ago. Seemed nice, but tough to get to and if you didn't have a place in Gables or somewhere else down there, wouldn't make much sense imo. Nice golf course, but not much of one.

So, since we morphed onto other topics

Anyone have experience with Deering Bay Yacht and Country Club in South Florida? A friend was looking into it, but he does not golf, and he wanted to "join just to have a place to go, have a drink and relax"...I got the impression from looking at their site that they tend to lean towards business movers and shakers, but I could be wrong. I would hate to have him pony up five figures and it turns out to be a waste of money and time for him.
Never been there so this is just general country club knowledge.

Most clubs have a "social" membership category which you pay a lot less initiation fee and monthly dues, maybe as much s 50% of an equity or voting membership fee. It's for the non-golfer who wants an upscale, private place to dine, drink, socialize and entertain.

I looked at their website. They have this level of membership. They don't list specific fees. Usually, this gives you full access to everything; pool, tennis, health club, discounts in the pro shop; but not the golf course. You can generally play a few times a year, like once a month, and pay the normal guest or greens fee. So, if you had friends or family guests who like to play, you could host them a few times a year.

A social membership still gives you a "special" place to go and relax, where people "cater" to you. You see many of your friends and neighbors at the bar or dining room. Most clubs are fairly casual today, no longer coat and tie for dinner. But there will be dress codes like no baseball caps turned backwards, torn jeans (many places allow denim), tank tops or t-shirts, etc.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT