ADVERTISEMENT

CSU claims somebody called their QB and offered $600k if they portal out

This isn’t an anomaly. This kind of stuff is very common in college basketball. So much so that in January, during the middle of the season, opposing schools were contacting players with offers if they transferred at the end of the season.
Poaching players seems wrong. Contacting said players during the season is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: bison13
Probably would be better if schools could get paid for their player transfer fee.

Like the Premier league.

Sign with CSU, they get a cut of the value of the player.

LdN
Agreed. I have no issue with programs doing this. Players should know their options

I don't know how this works. Schools don't offer NIL, donors/collective do.

Can Franklin tell a collective to contact a kid and make an $x offer?

He can say we are targeting a player and that's all he needs to say.

It would make the recruitment better. How much can schools spend on recruiting players who may leave after 6 months?

A lot less than ones for 4 years.
I assume the NIL money is contingent on the player staying

I wouldn't be surprised if we told a 3* recruit we'd give him $50k then increase that based on performance in subsequent years. Other schools might counter by offering more money in year one.

I assume the NIL money is contingent on the player staying

I wouldn't be surprised if we told a 3* recruit we'd give him $50k then increase that based on performance in subsequent years. Other schools might counter by offering more money in year one.

Forget about NIL for a second.

It costs money to recruit players. Especially so for these smaller schools with less income.

A school like CSU would benefit from an arrangement where if they develop players that get NILd away, that they get a percentage.

And they set a price to buy a player.

LdN

There should be no rules. In fact college athletes should have to be college students.

Feel better now?
They are students. They're also employees for a big business at the same time. How are they not students?

They are students. They're also employees for a big business at the same time. How are they not students?
Pros have binding contracts.

Pros can make money on the side like appearing in ads but they aren't having it handed to them for nothing.

Real students attend with the intention of obtaining a degree. They can change schools but most don't because it slows their progress towards a degree.

Pros have binding contracts.

Pros can make money on the side like appearing in ads but they aren't having it handed to them for nothing.

Real students attend with the intention of obtaining a degree. They can change schools but most don't because it slows their progress towards a degree.
Then college football hasn't been about "real students"in 50 years. "Real Students" change schools all the time. I know people that went to 3 or 4 schools.
You're pretending college football used to be something it wasn't. Even here, most acknowledged they believed it was something it wasn't but you still apparently belive that.
And it's the NCAA's fault they don't have binding contracts. They should have paid them decades ago but greed won.

Reactions: jayhawks65
College football is not college football anymore. You can still root for a team but it’s not college football anymore. I’ll be honest I’d rather watch nfl
It's the same as it always been. It's so weird some people can't accept that these programs, including Penn State, have been a big business for decades and a college degree isn't remotely fair compensation for what they brought in.

People need to accept that what they believed existed never really did. Not even when Joe was here.

It's the same as it always been. It's so weird some people can't accept that these programs, including Penn State, have been a big business for decades and a college degree isn't remotely fair compensation for what they brought in.

People need to accept that what they believed existed never really did. Not even when Joe was here.
It’s far from what it used to be

Reactions: bdroc and KCLion
It’s far from what it used to be
It's not--it's just more open
I just don't comprehend why people can't accept this has always been nothing more than a big business with the football players being used to finance countless things and other sports
The NCAA should have been paying players for decades and then it would be control. They elected not to,
The angst there is comical. It's the exact same game only the kids are no longer controlled by the programs the pick at 17/18.

It's not--it's just more open
I just don't comprehend why people can't accept this has always been nothing more than a big business with the football players being used to finance countless things and other sports
The NCAA should have been paying players for decades and then it would be control. They elected not to,
The angst there is comical. It's the exact same game only the kids are no longer controlled by the programs the pick at 17/18.
So you agree it’s not the same as it used to be except schools making money. It was amateurs playing and now it professionals. It was school loyalty back in day now it’s highest bidder. Transfers were limited back in the day now you can switch schools each year no problem. It’s not college football as it used to be. I’ll still watch Penn state but nfl is much better product

So you agree it’s not the same as it used to be except schools making money. It was amateurs playing and now it professionals. It was school loyalty back in day now it’s highest bidder. Transfers were limited back in the day now you can switch schools each year no problem. It’s not college football as it used to be. I’ll still watch Penn state but nfl is much better product
This is all delusional. Loyalty didn't exist. It was forced. Why were transfers limited? Who did that benefit?
College football has always been this way. It's always been a developmental league in which most were playing to reach the next level. Many here just want to believe it used to be pure. It never was. It was just hidden.
The NFL has always been the better product.
Also, most of the people complaining (not saying you per se) didn't really ever follow college football. They just rooted for Penn State. They hate the Big Ten, they hate the NCAA, they complain about all successful programs then, despite not following the sport, they complain that we're unfairly treated and left out when they're simply wrong.
Notice people defending our pathetic schedule and don't comprehending the White Out should be dictated by the company paying billions.

Then college football hasn't been about "real students"in 50 years. "Real Students" change schools all the time. I know people that went to 3 or 4 schools.
You're pretending college football used to be something it wasn't. Even here, most acknowledged they believed it was something it wasn't but you still apparently belive that.
You misrepresent everything people say when you disagree with their opinions.

Nobody denies that major college football has become a big business or that some top players have received preferential treatment.

It's my opinion that college sports should be played by college students. I don't think that's an extreme position. I realize that many if not most take easy majors. I was in the Lasch Building about 15 years ago and I spoke to players as well as academic advisors. The emphasis on academics was clear. Maybe this was because the staff cared about education or maybe it was because they were just concerned about keeping players academically eligible. Either way the academic side of things was pushed pretty hard. I understand that a lot of players place a higher priority on making it to the NFL over getting a degree but the institution's desire to have kids graduate has long been a priority.

I've also never thought that the players were being abused. A free education, free luxury room and board, free athletic training, shoes, clothing, and an opportunity to play at the highest level in front of 100,000 fans is something most athletes dream of. Of course when there's so much money involved everybody is going to want a cut. I get that but things have now gone too far. I'm OK paying players but there should be rules. Professional sports have a draft. They don't get new players by having fans/donors offer the most money. There are salary caps and players are bound by their contracts. This is a free for all and it's not good for the sport.

I don't think many non athletes go to 3 or 4 schools. That's costly and it slows academic progress because credits don't necessarily transfer. I see absolutely no problem requiring players to sign a binding contract and requiring that academic achievement be part of the deal.

Last edited:

You kidding??? They’re not “students” anymore. They’re nothing more than freakin, dead ended mercenaries. Our stupid “court system” has now enabled gullible young kids to be exploited to the point where a quick buck is more important than a long term college degree.

If a 20 year old kid is not pro material, which most aren’t, they’ll blow through that so called $600,000 offer within two or three years.

Reactions: bdgan
This is against the rules.

That's interesting. This is the same program that's poaching DII OTs. This spring they poached LT Chandler Brown from Shepherd University that was protecting now NFL QB Tyson Bagent's blind side Bagent's Senior season. In '23, they poached their starting LT from Lane College. Where does the poaching end? D3?

That's interesting. This is the same program that's poaching DII OTs. This spring they poached LT Chandler Brown from Shepherd University that was protecting now NFL QB Tyson Bagent's blind side Bagent's Senior season. In '23, they poached their starting LT from Lane College. Where does the poaching end? D3?
Poached? I think the rule is you can’t engage until a kid hits the portal. In this case, the CSU qb was solicited without ever expressing a desire to hit the portal

You kidding??? They’re not “students” anymore. They’re nothing more than freakin, dead ended mercenaries. Our stupid “court system” has now enabled gullible young kids to be exploited to the point where a quick buck is more important than a long term college degree.

If a 20 year old kid is not pro material, which most aren’t, they’ll blow through that so called $600,000 offer within two or three years.
I'm kinda of confused what the problem is. A guy making 600 thousand dollars is a bad thing? Maybe the kid can make the money and graduate also.

Poached? I think the rule is you can’t engage until a kid hits the portal. In this case, the CSU qb was solicited without ever expressing a desire to hit the portal
You don't think kids are being poached at the D2 level? It was happening pre-NIl, but now it's a common occurrence. Times are crazy, just listen to Saban talk about previously trying to get guys to enter the portal.

You misrepresent everything people say when you disagree with their opinions.

Nobody denies that major college football has become a big business or that some top players have received preferential treatment.

It's my opinion that college sports should be played by college students. I don't think that's an extreme position. I realize that many if not most take easy majors. I was in the Lasch Building about 15 years ago and I spoke to players as well as academic advisors. The emphasis on academics was clear. Maybe this was because the staff cared about education or maybe it was because they were just concerned about keeping players academically eligible. Either way the academic side of things was pushed pretty hard. I understand that a lot of players place a higher priority on making it to the NFL over getting a degree but the institution's desire to have kids graduate has long been a priority.

I've also never thought that the players were being abused. A free education, free luxury room and board, free athletic training, and an opportunity to play at the highest level in front of 100,000 fans is something most athletes dream of. Of course when there's so much money involved everybody is going to want a cut. I get that but things have now gone too far. I'm OK paying players but there should be rules. Professional sports have a draft. They don't get new players by having fans/donors offer the most money. There are salary caps and players are bound by their contracts. This is a free for all and it's not good for the sport.

I don't think many non athletes go to 3 or 4 schools. That's costly and it slows academic progress because credits don't necessarily transfer. I see absolutely no problem requiring players to sign a binding contract and requiring that academic achievement be part of the deal.
Tons of non-athletes to 2-3 schools over 5 years. That's becoming more and more common but even when I was in schools kids got homesick or couldn't handle college life so they went closer to home.

For the rest, NIL legally can't be restricted now. That's the problem. The NCAA screwed up royally but not paying players for the past 40-50 years. And most fans, not saying you, didn't want them paid.

A free education is nothing compared to what the schools are bringing in. It also doesn't truly cost the school anything. Those costs just go to other students.

And they're still college kids. They're enrolled and have academic standards (even limited) they have to meet.

I understand people dislike the optics but nothing has really changed other than it's now not secretive. Let's not pretend Penn State players (along with everyone else) weren't always getting paid for things. Starting with donors writing checks for thousands so they'd sign autographs.

They're students as much today as they ever were. Those that want an education will get one. The majority don't care and never did. Even when Joe was here. It's always been about getting to the NFL.

The court decision was correct and obvious. It wasn't even a debate on what would happen. They are employees due to restrictions set.

Who cares if they blow the money?
That's their problem.

I assume that rule is often abused. Just have somebody not on the coaching staff let the word out that a certain school would probably pay $x for certain players. The kid can take it from there.

A free education is nothing compared to what the schools are bringing in. It also doesn't truly cost the school anything. Those costs just go to other students.

Schools actually make out financially with scholarship athletes as the athletic dept pays full fare whereas the typical student pays a good bit less after factoring student aid.

And for the "free education" -players used to have to only play 8 games, which got increased to 10 and then 12, and with the expanded PO, some players may end up playing enough games to equate to an NFL schedule (so much for caring about the health of these athletes, much less giving them the time to concentrate on being a student).

Funny how coaches and administrators get bonuses for those extra games (despite already being grossly compensated), but players are expected to play for free.

That being said, there definitely need to be guardrails put in place.

They're students as much today as they ever were. Those that want an education will get one. The majority don't care and never did. Even when Joe was here. It's always been about getting to the NFL.

The court decision was correct and obvious. It wasn't even a debate on what would happen. They are employees due to restrictions set.

Who cares if they blow the money?
That's their problem.

You’re right. The theme now is “Who cares if they blow the money”.

When Joe was here, he did care. That’s why he thought a college degree was EXPONENTIALLY more valuable long term than a quick buck.

Reactions: step.eng69
You’re right. The theme now is “Who cares if they blow the money”.

When Joe was here, he did care. That’s why he thought a college degree was EXPONENTIALLY more valuable long term than a quick buck.
Joe still recruited kids that came here only to play football. A degree to most of the kids was secondary. Let's stop pretending what most of these kids majored in was going to set them up to be hugely successful. Joe was a great man and valued education but that has nothing to do with these kids are still being set up for success with that money. It's on them and their parents, not the coaches, to handle it. If they waste it that's a shame but only hurts them. Just like the countless kids majoring in Communications.

Joe still recruited kids that came here only to play football. A degree to most of the kids was secondary. Let's stop pretending what most of these kids majored in was going to set them up to be hugely successful. Joe was a great man and valued education but that has nothing to do with these kids are still being set up for success with that money. It's on them and their parents, not the coaches, to handle it. If they waste it that's a shame but only hurts them. Just like the countless kids majoring in Communications.

When I went to school back in the early 70s, Joe’s kids had to go to class, take their tests, and pass just like the rest of us. If not, they didn’t play. And most would have crawled on glass to be here.

“Communications” or not, they mostly got their degrees and went on to join the Penn State family. Now, those “countless kids” you are talking about are doing nothing more than majoring in the transfer portal, and couldn’t give a crap about Penn State, or any other school.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69
Don't bother with Lando he knows everything and is always right at least in how own mind - for to live people that can’t/won’t even consider anyone else's position even when most also agree with it - doe on that hill every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT