ADVERTISEMENT

Culpepper, Hardy, and versatility to move inside and outside on the DL.

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
IYO, do these recruits have the frame to get big enough to play inside and the athleticism to still play a DE role in certain situations? They both have to put on a fair amount of weight to play DT, which is where I think they end up. However, neither looks he'll ever be much over 280 lbs, which now seems "small" in the world of D-1 football. The coaching staff loves guys with athletic versatility and speed, so a rotation featuring smaller, faster DTs who can flip outside makes sense.

Damn glad to have gotten both of them. Would love to see them joined by Oweh and Parsons. That would be one fastball of a defensive line.

A lot of PSU's best DL in recent years played both or could have played both. Hali, Odrick, Zettel.

I think it's considered good for a DT's development to have played some DE. Helps you anticipate things. Just like an OG is going to be more effective if they understand the OT job.

Mustipher is the one guy who seems destined only to play DT at the next level. Hawkins and Smith also seem to have the versatility to play inside and outside. Not that we'll be getting all of them, but two out of three would be pretty awesome!

You never know how big some of these guys can get in 2-3 years. Culpepper is a big kid, probably close to 260 now, so he could easily put on 30-40 lbs. Cothran was a 240 lb. DE, but weighed in at 293 this spring. He will probably play between 295-300 this fall. Gary Gilliam, a former TE is still the RT for the Seahawks a 6-6 302. He was around 240 when he committed to PSU.

Same with the DT PSU kicked off the team and is now with Pitt, playing around 310 lbs. He was a 250 lb. athlete when he initially committed.

The Buckeyes have thrived with the 285-295 DT's for years, since they are strong, quick, and mobile, Bennett and Washington immediately come to mind.

Hawkins looks like a DT all the way.........

I'm hoping all those CB's result in him being the 20th member of the class....,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, T-O-D-A-Y !!!

I'm hoping all those CB's result in him being the 20th member of the class....,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, T-O-D-A-Y !!!

CRYSTAL BALL Predictions

247 CBs now favor
Hawkins to PSU 63%
vs Cincy 37%​

4_4573959.jpg

Aeneas Hawkins

Cincinnati, OH (Archbishop Moeller)

Defensive Tackle
4-Star
  • Ht 6-3
  • Wt 265
  • CLASS OF 18
247Sports Composite
Natl Comp 286
Pos DT 23
St OH 12

It is incredible guys can add that much weight without losing their quickness. Well I won't argue your facts. Thanks for the research. Yes, it is a very pleasant problem to have!

Could we land both Hawkins and Mustipher?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT