ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Wrestling Coaches Weigh In On How Last Year's Rule Changes Played Out

Psalm 1 guy

Nov 3, 2019
I saw this article on Flo and felt it deserved its own thread. One quote that caught my eye was this: Coach Bentley: “The video review thing has got to be re-evaluated. I saw two matches where coaches used the challenge brick to get their guy out of vulnerable positions and the guy ended up getting a fresh start and ended up winning — and it was purposefully a brick thrown for just a random challenge, something crazy and their guy got off his belly our out of turk or something like that with time running out and got a fresh start and won. There’s things like that where people are now finding out how to abuse the bricks . . . ."

I do think the current video review procedures are problematic. Whether video review needs eliminated or just modified is the big question. What are your thoughts on the new rules from last season?

I saw this article on Flo and felt it deserved its own thread. One quote that caught my eye was this: Coach Bentley: “The video review thing has got to be re-evaluated. I saw two matches where coaches used the challenge brick to get their guy out of vulnerable positions and the guy ended up getting a fresh start and ended up winning — and it was purposefully a brick thrown for just a random challenge, something crazy and their guy got off his belly our out of turk or something like that with time running out and got a fresh start and won. There’s things like that where people are now finding out how to abuse the bricks . . . ."

I do think the current video review procedures are problematic. Whether video review needs eliminated or just modified is the big question. What are your thoughts on the new rules from last season?

Similar to freestyle, if you throw the brick and lose, it should cost you a point. The wrestler should also be able to throw the brick back.

Similar to freestyle, if you throw the brick and lose, it should cost you a point. The wrestler should also be able to throw the brick back.
Throwing back is too late for the situation described in the first post in this thread.

They also need to allow for some common sense and not go back to the point in the match when the call was made. Case in point - in the finals with Vito and Fix. They give Vito a takedown . He is almost behind Fix and Fix has his leg. They throw the brick and stop the action. They review and take the takedown away. Now they are on their feet in a neutral position to restart.
It is almost certain that Vito would have eventually scored if the action would have continued. Since the ref awarded the takedown too early, now Vito loses out of a position where he had a great chance of scoring.
They need to allow for some sort of continuation of the move, so if they call a takedown too early, but it is earned a few seconds later, the takedown stands.

A few ideas:

1. Challenge and lose, it costs a point.
2. If it is a dual meet and challenge at the end of the match, lose the challenge it is a bonus point
3. Challenges have to be completed within 30 seconds. The purpose of the challenge is to correct horrible calls.
4. The review occurs at a stoppage in action. If the challenge is won, action reverts to when the challenge occurred.

Reactions: Sullivan
A few ideas:

1. Challenge and lose, it costs a point.
2. If it is a dual meet and challenge at the end of the match, lose the challenge it is a bonus point
3. Challenges have to be completed within 30 seconds. The purpose of the challenge is to correct horrible calls.
4. The review occurs at a stoppage in action. If the challenge is won, action reverts to when the challenge occurred.
I do not like the idea of gong back to the point where the challenge occurred. I say take it to point where the flurry ended or the situation changed. A lot of takedowns have scrambles involved and changes of position, that the call had nothing to do with. If the ref missed something, they should go to where the action naturally ended.

Also, make them wait until a clear break in the action before starting the challenge. If it is won, then go back to the original point of the challenge. Otherwise, let the clock resume where the officials decided to take the challenge.

Like I said, sometimes they award the takedown too soon or not at all. If they wait until a break in the action and the takedown did or did not occur, the refs can simply change the riding time appropriately and correct the score.

I also agree that if they cannot figure it out in 30 seconds, then that is too bad and go with the original call.

Also, a match point and/or a team point in duals for each failed challenge.

1 wrong challenge a day in any tournament setting. (let's stop being such whiny coaches)

Reactions: Gebmo and Ski
I do not like the idea of gong back to the point where the challenge occurred. I say take it to point where the flurry ended or the situation changed. A lot of takedowns have scrambles involved and changes of position, that the call had nothing to do with. If the ref missed something, they should go to where the action naturally ended.

Also, make them wait until a clear break in the action before starting the challenge. If it is won, then go back to the original point of the challenge. Otherwise, let the clock resume where the officials decided to take the challenge.

Like I said, sometimes they award the takedown too soon or not at all. If they wait until a break in the action and the takedown did or did not occur, the refs can simply change the riding time appropriately and correct the score.

I also agree that if they cannot figure it out in 30 seconds, then that is too bad and go with the original call.

Also, a match point and/or a team point in duals for each failed challenge.

1 wrong challenge a day in any tournament setting. (let's stop being such whiny coaches)
I would revert to the spot of the challenge because you have situations where a wrestler could be in a dangerous situation and once a TD is awarded they then give up to prevent going to their back. If the no takedown is awarded they might try to hold on preventing the points. In these situations what do you do?

I would revert to the spot of the challenge because you have situations where a wrestler could be in a dangerous situation and once a TD is awarded they then give up to prevent going to their back. If the no takedown is awarded they might try to hold on preventing the points. In these situations what do you do?

Rely on the judgement of the ref because we know how great that works for stalling calls? ;) 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT