ADVERTISEMENT

DE Morgan committed to Pitt; no room at the inn at PSU

NITTANYJGK

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
With just 2 DE slots available and PSU actively recruiting 4stars Anoma, Culpepper, Earlington, Oweh, and Parsons, this kid wasn't holding a commitable offer. I suspect when he made his last visit with his father I think CJF may have been up front with them about his chances. He's a good prospect and Pitt benefits from our great recruiting this year. The kid really liked PSU early on. He could have committed early on but waiting cost him a spot here. Actually this turns out best for us. We could get commitments from Oweh and Earlington soon. Good luck to Morgan.

Reactions: garw
I really liked this kid. Coming from a big ticket high school makes this one hurt a bit but you're right about the other kids.

He was being slow played. From 4/27

"Coach (James) Franklin, he just gives off some kind of aura that makes you want to commit there all the time," Morgan said. "As soon as I go up there and I talk to him, it's like, 'Dang, I wanna commit right now.' He's like, 'You have to wait.' I'm like, 'I really can't.' You don't get that feel when you go to other schools."

It's been reported for months that Penn State wanted to see SR film before they would revisit....same can be said for VA Tech. Their 247 guy said he is glad Morgan found someone to accept his commitment.

That's not saying he will not be a very good player but a lot of these teams have preferences right now and are waiting on higher rated kids. Pitt knows they are not getting a higher rated player at the position unless it's late in the process and teams have soured on a kid

On the bright side for him, Pitt will win about 11 national championships while he is there. Pitt math.

Seems like a good enough prospect but given DE is not an immediate need with no seniors at this position, the staff needs to be patient in their primary targets here. If the kid sees a good opportunity at Pitt, can't fault him for jumping on it.

Who knows what Tyreke Smith is thinking these days. OSU just signed a second top DE last week and Smith has made it clear he is in no rush to verbal. PSU is still high on his list. Morgan looks to be #7 of the DEs PSU is after.

Parsons
Anoma
Smith
Hardy
Oweh
Earlington

So if I understand things correctly here, Franklin desperately wanted this kid, but he spurned Penn State for pitt. Another top recruit lost to pitt. :(

:confused:

Reactions: Nit16
There's nothing that can be said at this point. The kid badly wanted to commit, and was told he had to wait. It seems unlikely that we were going to drop all the way down to him on the list, so you can't blame him for moving forward.

Reactions: marshall23
Who knows what Tyreke Smith is thinking these days. OSU just signed a second top DE last week and Smith has made it clear he is in no rush to verbal. PSU is still high on his list. Morgan looks to be #7 of the DEs PSU is after.

Parsons
Anoma
Smith
Hardy
Oweh
Earlington
Smith and Hardy are being recruited as DTs not DEs. Delete those 2 from your list and add Culpepper.

There's nothing that can be said at this point. The kid badly wanted to commit, and was told he had to wait. It seems unlikely that we were going to drop all the way down to him on the list, so you can't blame him for moving forward.
Like the Kradel kid that committed to Pitt earlier, Morgan did not have a commitable offer. Pitt can spin this any way they want on these 2 kids. OSU wasn't taking Kradel given the top kids they were in on. Same story with Morgan.

Pitt needs to try to save face. It's not easy to accept you are an also ran in the recruiting race. They are lucky they got these two kids.

According to the experts on The Lair, Franklin is inconsolable over the loss of this 3 star recruit. Do they actually believe they stole him from PSU? Like they did the OL from OSU? Talk about out of touch with reality.

The CAPTAIN over on the Lair said Morgan didn't commit to PSU because of the Clery Act and Joe knew!Smart recruits pick Pitt because they can get into the NFL Hall of Fame!

Come on. Without the multi-colored font you aren't even trying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT