ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone hear that PSU may have someone transferring to RU?

JBott

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2010
From RU wrestling board:
Just got done talking too a very,very reliable source,who said we will be getting a very unexpected,but incredibly gifted wrestler from Penn State.Apparently all is not happy,in Happy Valley.I'm not going to reveal who it is,but you better get a floor jack too lift your jaws off the ground.Lets get ready too RUUUUMMMBLE!!!

I thought that Zack Beitz may be a possible grad transfer.

From RU wrestling board:
Just got done talking too a very,very reliable source,who said we will be getting a very unexpected,but incredibly gifted wrestler from Penn State.Apparently all is not happy,in Happy Valley.I'm not going to reveal who it is,but you better get a floor jack too lift your jaws off the ground.Lets get ready too RUUUUMMMBLE!!!

To me the only one who had any kind of negative publicity (not making weight a couple times) and would elicit a "jack to lift your jaws off the ground" would be Vincenzo Joseph....and I am by NO means an insider so my opinion ain't worth jack.

Beats going to Minnesota.
th

Maybe Rasheed, maybe Joseph. Well whoever it is, even with a release they will have to sit a year unless they have graduated already.

Reactions: JBott
From RU wrestling board:

Wow, funny stuff. There is no one in my mind that would be jaw dropping outside of Zain, Nolf, and Nickal. Add Nico and MM to that list if they weren't seniors. Joseph might make sense if for some reason he isn't beating Morelli or Hammond in the room and doesn't see where he could crack the lineup. Still, that's not jaw-dropping to me at all. Insert Mark Hall at 165, done. Zach would also make sense or maybe even Anthony Cassar. I doubt it has anything to do with not being happy (Cassar the possible exception to that), but more they can't crack the lineup...funny stuff.

Reactions: morningwood80
Hammond? He's the one that I can see never sniffing the mat again. Feel for the kid. Joseph and Rasheed make less sense as they have very good reason to believe they'll be starters on the strongest lineup in the country next year (and the next year, and...)

Cassar, there you go, clucas. Move him to the top of the list. NJ native, made the world team, not in school this year. I think you nailed it.

From RU wrestling board:

Too many awesome wrestlers for too few spots?

I would have guessed Anthony Cassar given that he's from NJ and there's been a lot of uncertainty as to why he is not currently enrolled at PSU.

Just a reminder that the uncertainty only exists amongst fans. Anthony, his family, and the coaching staff all know why things played out as they did over the past two semesters.

BTW, wasn't there a similar rumor on the Rutgers' site in the past month or two? I seem to recall something like this, but can't recall the details.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Would Cassar still have to sit and lose a year of eligibility as an in conference transfer?

Does him not being enrolled for the year effect his having to sit out a year after the transfer?

Just a reminder that the uncertainty only exists amongst fans. Anthony, his family, and the coaching staff all know why things played out as they did over the past two semesters.

BTW, wasn't there a similar rumor on the Rutgers' site in the past month or two? I seem to recall something like this, but can't recall the details.
Great point, Tom. Regardless of who it is, we hate to lose him but will wish him well.

Does him not being enrolled for the year effect his having to sit out a year after the transfer?

Is he event technically a "transfer" if he never enrolled? He's been wrestling for the NLWC (an International Freestyle/Greco Club), not PSU during this time. Not sure how it works in this situation.

Cassar is not and never was a starter. Wouldn't that rule him out based off the Rutgers post?

Reactions: lionlover
Doubt that it is Cassar. After the B1G finals in Bo's interview he said that he and Cassar are roommates and one of our posters, can't remember which one, talked to Cassar in Iowa and he told them he was going to be at 197 for us next year. They also said on the Rutgers board that it was a "starter".

Where does it say it is a starter?

Well, assuming that portion of the "rumor" is true (seems like a big assumption, but....), it would also rule out Mega, Conway and Smack. I guess you would have to consider NN's the starter at HWT, so it would have to be JG, ZR, JN, BN, MM, RS/GM, or NN....out of that group, I guess the most likely would be RS (especially if AC is sticking around and wrestling 97). Not sure that qualify as making my jaw-drop part though....

It's in the headline of the thread.
On the RU board??

I could see Cassar, Joseph or Rasheed being big deals, but not jaw-dropping, at least from our perspective. Hate to lose them but if they can get a better $ deal someplace else, I wish them nothing but the best. Good for Rutgers....

If I was to think through this logically......

Wouldnt be Cassar. Wasnt a starter and hes on his way back not his way out.

VJo and Rasheed were out at B1$s with the team, if there was open discussion from them about this I doubt they would have went. Rasheed got sent to Colorado for petes sake, if he was going to jump ship that trip wouldnt have happened.

Hammond makes sense for several reasons and would fit the "starter" context. I also wouldnt say someone is unhappy in happy valley because simply put he was the #3 and the #4 with VJo in the room. Next year he would still be #3 behind some combination of morrelli and/or VJo.

What people dont understand about PSU schollies is there isnt wasted money in this current model. Its that simple and if you need the money to help your family situation out, well you have to go where you can cash in. Rutgers isnt an odd choice, because Tank would have the connections and the inside knowledge of where a guy might fit on the mat and from the $ side too.

Jaw dropping is for hits. I doubt when this comes public anyones jaws will be dropping.

People want to make more of this to simply throw stones at Cael/PSU need to get a life.

If I was to think through this logically......

Wouldnt be Cassar. Wasnt a starter and hes on his way back not his way out.

VJo and Rasheed were out at B1$s with the team, if there was open discussion from them about this I doubt they would have went. Rasheed got sent to Colorado for petes sake, if he was going to jump ship that trip wouldnt have happened.

Hammond makes sense for several reasons and would fit the "starter" context. I also wouldnt say someone is unhappy in happy valley because simply put he was the #3 and the #4 with VJo in the room. Next year he would still be #3 behind some combination of morrelli and/or VJo.

What people dont understand about PSU schollies is there isnt wasted money in this current model. Its that simple and if you need the money to help your family situation out, well you have to go where you can cash in. Rutgers isnt an odd choice, because Tank would have the connections and the inside knowledge of where a guy might fit on the mat and from the $ side too.

Jaw dropping is for hits. I doubt when this comes public anyones jaws will be dropping.

People want to make more of this to simply throw stones at Cael/PSU need to get a life.
I agree with dunkej reference Shakur and Cenzo. Both were with the team in Iowa and were in the team picture at the B1G tournament so I think it would be unlikely they would go to RU. Cassar is the logical choice, but has not been a starter if that in fact is one of the key traits for this possible transfer. No idea who it is (although the Hammond suggestion is a good one), but I suspect if this is true, once we find out the name, it won't be jaw dropping. Possibly disappointing, but I don't think jaw dropping.

Also, Beitz would fit the "starter" context although both he and Hammond would obviously need the word "previous" put in front. Does he graduate this May?

Beitz got a job in State College.

Anyone transferring within the B10 must sit a year unless the conference grants a waiver. Micic is the only guy in recent memory to get one; Cortez did not. If they have a shirt year, they can use that. If not, tough.

If Hammond goes, he's a RS SO, must sit 1 year in order to wrestle 1 year. Does that make sense vs. going somewhere he could wrestle for 2 yrs?

As far as the rumor goes: yawn. Not sure why the default position is to believe this. Oops, almost forgot -- it's a very, very reliable source.

Cassar has already shirted and just lost 1 year. Why would he volunteer to lose a 2nd year?

If money is a factor Anthony Cassar makes sense. He would be in state tuition at RU!

Beitz got a job in State College.

Anyone transferring within the B10 must sit a year unless the conference grants a waiver. Micic is the only guy in recent memory to get one; Cortez did not. If they have a shirt year, they can use that. If not, tough.

If Hammond goes, he's a RS SO, must sit 1 year in order to wrestle 1 year. Does that make sense vs. going somewhere he could wrestle for 2 yrs?

As far as the rumor goes: yawn. Not sure why the default position is to believe this. Oops, almost forgot -- it's a very, very reliable source.
Maybe this is from the same reliable source that had McIntosh leaving for California because he was home sick? How many times did that one come up?

He is saying he is better than Beitz and Shakur for sure. And between 157 and HWT.

From RU wrestling board:

It's probably a misunderstanding by the poster. He probably heard that all but one of our starters will be traveling through NJ to participate in the NCAA's at MSG ;)

Last edited:
Here are our STARTERS, 157 THROUGH HWY

Nolf-Nope, not transferring to Rutgers
Morelli-Nope, not transferring to Rutgers
Nickal-Nope, not transferring to Rutgers
McCutcheon-Nope, not transferring to Rutgers
McIntosh-Nope, he graduates.
Nevills-Nope, not transferring to Rutgers

Reactions: morningwood80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT