ADVERTISEMENT

Did Clagon match ignite Zain?

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
If I've had a small criticism of Zain during his freshman year and the beginning of this year, it was that he was not aggressive/effective enough on his feet. Seeing the Clagon match only reinforced that nit.

But, wow, beginning with the Southern Scuffle, it's like seeing a new Zain. He has turned into a takedown machine. It felt like he had more takedowns in the Scuffle than he had the whole season prior to it. It's really been a sea change. And I like it!

The really odd thing about the Clagon match to me was that Zain seemed to focus exclusively on the 2 on 1 to generate offense from neutral. Since then he's been utilizing it sparingly, instead focusing on leg attacks.
The upcoming match with T-Shirt (if T-shirt goes that is) should be an interesting test to see if Zain continues with that aggression. Unfortunately, we've all seen the sort of matches T-Shirt tries to wrestle, so it's going to be up to Zain to force action while not leaving himself open to counters.
I went to see Zain send a solid message to Sorenson and the rest of the weight class that he's the guy to beat this weekend.

I know it was freestyle but Zain already Showed Sorenson who is the guy to beat in my opinion...He dominated on his feet

I know it was freestyle but Zain already Showed Sorenson who is the guy to beat in my opinion...He dominated on his feet

Most definitely, but you gotta think a guy like Sorenson is going to think he can beat Zain even if it hasn't gone that way in the past. But, if Zain gets a series of takedowns against T-shirt, who Sorenson recently struggled to get 1 against, that has to be an additional thing he'll be thinking/worrying about if they take the mat at B10's.

If I've had a small criticism of Zain during his freshman year and the beginning of this year, it was that he was not aggressive/effective enough on his feet. Seeing the Clagon match only reinforced that nit.

But, wow, beginning with the Southern Scuffle, it's like seeing a new Zain. He has turned into a takedown machine. It felt like he had more takedowns in the Scuffle than he had the whole season prior to it. It's really been a sea change. And I like it!

I think Zain has changed his attitude after facing Aaron Pico numerous times. He realized that he had to become more physical in order to defeat Pico. Even though he hasn't beaten him yet, the last time the meet, Zain was by far more aggressive then the prior matches. He's carried that same aggressiveness into this season.

jmo

TIFWIW: Heard from a very active NLWC member that Zain was battling a touch of thr flu during the Clagon match.

Reactions: Maddog
Hi All, new to forum. Big wrestling fan was watching mostly high school, but really got into the college wrestling when a local boy (Frank Molinaro) from my shore area enrolled. It really opened my eyes seeing how these Penn State teams under Cael are unlike any other teams. They wrestle to score points and are super exciting to watch.

As far as Clagon. I know him well being from Toms River. He is super talented and when he WANTS to wrestle can wrestle and beat anyone. I know for a fact he really wanted Zain and I think that's why the match was so close. Unfortunately as much talent as Clagon has, he doesn't wrestle everyone with that same intensity as you can see by his ugly year so far. I truly hope he gets his head on straight and gets it back as he's a gifted wrestler.

Anyways..welcome all and look forward to reading the forums and hopefully chime in as well!

I saw the Clagon match and I thought his quickness gave Zain problems but if he was fight a touch of the flu that would make sense.

I think we're all going to be disappointed when Tsirtsis doesn't wrestle this weekend....I hope I'm wrong but this is setting up for that very thing to take place.

I think we're all going to be disappointed when Tsirtsis doesn't wrestle this weekend....I hope I'm wrong but this is setting up for that very thing to take place.

that may just happen. But he will be at the B1$ tournament and my gut tells me sorenson will get the 1 seed and Zain 2 with Tshirt the 3.

NW should just forfeit the match.
Half the team are no shows. They must draw straws.

that may just happen. But he will be at the B1$ tournament and my gut tells me sorenson will get the 1 seed and Zain 2 with Tshirt the 3.
That's my gut feel as well, with Sueflohn 4 and Stieber a wild card. Esp if Tsirtsis doesn't go in the dual. But if Zain demolishes Tsirtsis, Sueflohn, Pantaleo, and Stieber ...

Sorensen has a rematch with Sueflohn, won 7-4 at Midlands but that was non-conference.

Last edited:
OT but speaking of B10 seeds flipping rankings over: Bo's loss could make Mike Evans' backup the top seed at 174. Meyer is undefeated in conference, won't face Bo, and missed Brunson (Illinois pulled out of Midlands and sent a backup in the dual).

I was curious, so I checked. In 8 duals this season, Zain has 13 takedowns. I'm not sure how many of the 13 were this past weekend. For the first 4 matches at the Scuffle, he had 25 takedowns. It's a huge difference in takedown rate.

I was curious, so I checked. In 8 duals this season, Zain has 13 takedowns. I'm not sure how many of the 13 were this past weekend. For the first 4 matches at the Scuffle, he had 25 takedowns. It's a huge difference in takedown rate.
How can you compare Duals to the Scuffle, when 4 were before the Scuffle, and 4 were after, when trying to make a point about the Clagon Match, and a new aggressiveness?...regardless I guess I'll roll with it.

It's an apples and oranges comparison. In 5 of the 8 duals, Zain got a fall, and 4 of the falls were in the first period (don't need many takedowns for that). Then there was the Clagon, no-takedown match...and the Tech Fall vs Mastriano (VA Tech) in the 2nd Period with a series of turns after earning only 1 takedown. So imho, he didn't have many takedowns for lots of reasons... except that he wasn't as good on his feet.

Aside from ignoring matches at the NLO ... Takedown rate per what? Per match is meaningless given Zain's pin/TF rate, and his general dominance on top. To have any meaning at all, this needs to be normalized -- maybe takedowns per minute on feet.

Clagon had Sueflhon beat at Midlands IIRC only to surrender a horrendous pin on the edge on the mat in the final 10 seconds or so. Clagon is a tough hombre, kid can bring it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT