ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 3 - Match/discussion thread

A Hawk fan did post that quote and compared it to Brands saying it was too soon to be talking about next year.

Lot of frustration over there; and some apathy.
The thing is: they're both right.

Cael is right, you start planning years in advance. And Brands has as well -- targeting recruits, the new facility (with a tunnel!), etc. Not as well as Cael, but he has done it.

Brands is right too, you don't evaluate the team in the heat of the moment. Cael doesn't have to make overall team plans for next year (other than the schedule) -- this is exceptionally rare across sports -- but he will assess individuals and tweak some things here and there.

Frustration over Brands' quote proves why he's right. He's frustrated too. You make smarter decisions once the emotions subside.

I remember thinking early in the season, something was off with Levi. He seemed to be struggling with something physical or mentally and I speculating what was wrong.

I'm so happy for him that he was able to overcome whatever (if anything) was going on to be come National Champ. Man, what a great weekend...one I won't soon forget!

Why Cael Sanderson's Penn State wrestling dynasty rolls on — with no end in sight​

Reactions: danoftw
Thank you to the greatest fans in the world! The support for our son has been amazing! We truly appreciate PSU nation! How cool
Was that to witness the GREATEST WRESTLING TEAM IN NCAA HISTORY!! So awesome. Thank you!!
I think Kevin Jackson might have been onto something back in 2020 when he was interviewed for this article.

"Aaron's one of the best athletes I've seen at his age — one of the best wrestlers I've seen at his age and not just from a technical standpoint or a training or conditional standpoint, " Jackson said. "It's just his belief, so he's one of the best I've seen at his age."

Reactions: danoftw
I love this kid, and I’m crushed that he lost basically due to a brain fart at the wrong time, but he has the attitude to use that as motivation and not get down about it. I know he’ll have to deal with Dake, Nolf, Starocci, KOT, Carr, Levi, Cenzo and other great wrestlers at the OTTs, but I am not counting Mitch out from winning the spot and being in the hunt for a medal at the Olympics. With his attitude and drive, the sky is the limit for him.

Frustration over Brands' quote proves why he's right. He's frustrated too. You make smarter decisions once the emotions subside.
But you know the well known definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. All the Hawk complaints that I have read seem to point to the fact that Brands is stubborn and doesn't seem inclined to change his preparation/training approach. For some people, admitting that they are wrong is a lot harder than doing something that requires a lot of physical exertion.

In their glory days, Iowa fans were used to seeing 3 to 5 guys consistently making the NCAA finals with a lot of them winning titles. They have deteriorated to the point where they have to be satisfied with one guy in the finals and only a few guys placing 3 to 8. If they want to do better, they have to consider doing some things differently.

In their glory days, Iowa fans were used to seeing 3 to 5 guys consistently making the NCAA finals with a lot of them winning titles. They have deteriorated to the point where they have to be satisfied with one guy in the finals and only a few guys placing 3 to 8. If they want to do better, they have to consider doing some things differently.
As a fan, I can sympathize. We've all gone through it in football, and someday we will go through it in wrestling. I hope that's in 20 years, but it will happen and when it does I'll be just as unhappy as some of them are. Unmet expections can do that.

SIAP. John Smith interview after nationals. I'm a little surprised at how much he talked about the fans "turning against us" during the Fix/Vito match. Implies that the crowd forced the ref to make a bull s#!+ stall call.

As always, we need MORE stalling calls, not less. Fix could have been disqualified for stalling vs Vito and it would have been appropriate.

I’m not a hawk fan
@mcpat real identity. Shhh, Don't tell Ironturd.

CcoLnzOXEAAnGCa.jpg

As always, we need MORE stalling calls, not less. Fix could have been disqualified for stalling vs Vito and it would have been appropriate.
Absolutely true.

Also true: we need more stalling calls throughout the regular season and qualifiers, so that fewer calls are needed at nationals because the culture will have been established long before.

The reasons for booing during that match were many: Vito is a likable character, Fix is a known juicer, people are sick of him being in the finals (30+ minutes of wrestling and never scored an offensive point), he got bailed out against Ragusin, the officials tried to take the match from Vito, and Smith's constant complaints in the corner do nothing to help his wrestler's reputations.

By all accounts, Fix is a very nice kid, and John Smith is a legend, but fans have long memories when it comes to perceived aggrievements.
Angel bailed him out against RBY, too. It didn't work, though.

2024 NCAA Championships Recap, with Basch and Cenzo

At the end of the video Cenzo talks about how he do against Mesenbrink, when Cenzo was a Freshman - Very Funny!

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone
"You don't start thinking about next year tomorrow, we were thinking about next year 3 to 4 years ago"

I don't have the heart to post this on GIA but someone should.
I mentioned that on another thread it spoke volumes to the difference between Penn State and any other program. Just wow I don't even know what thinking about next year three or four years ago even ****ing looks like or where to start

The Rutgers HWT that Cochran beat rather convincingly in the dual meet, Slavikouski, finished 7th.
Again, Cochran also lost to 2 nq wrestlers during the season. Penn State absolutely should kick the tires in the portal.

Poor Iowa. Imagine putting your hopes on the Ferrari clan. What a colossal f up.
The one thing I absolutely believe in all the rumors coming out of Iowa today is that the AD was very unhappy that Brands entertained the idea of the Ferraries to Iowa. It must have been incredible blowback when AJ did the double soldier salute to the fans. It may have produced a permanent scar on Brands' legacy from the AD point of view. Just very poor judgment.

The reasons for booing during that match were many: Vito is a likable character, Fix is a known juicer, people are sick of him being in the finals (30+ minutes of wrestling and never scored an offensive point), he got bailed out against Ragusin, the officials tried to take the match from Vito, and Smith's constant complaints in the corner do nothing to help his wrestler's reputations.

By all accounts, Fix is a very nice kid, and John Smith is a legend, but fans have long memories when it comes to perceived aggrievements.
Yeah, after that semifinal fiasco against Ragusin, it's no wonder most were rooting for Vito over Fix in the final. And as you note, John Smith's near constant whining doesn't help the popular sentiment.

The one thing I absolutely believe in all the rumors coming out of Iowa today is that the AD was very unhappy that Brands entertained the idea of the Ferraries to Iowa. It must have been incredible blowback when AJ did the double soldier salute to the fans. It may have produced a permanent scar on Brands' legacy from the AD point of view. Just very poor judgment.
Total agreement here. Given how she handled the Brian Ferentz situation, Goetz appears to be a strong-willed leader. So you’ve got a highly-accomplished woman in a new position she has probably worked to attain for decades facing an immediate threat to the Iowa brand - and a massive liability concern - in this family of lowlifes. Not only that, like most women (certainly many in my life as they’ve told me), Goetz has probably faced her share of harassment from guys like AJ in her life. She was likely disgusted at the start hearing about his OSU escapades - no matter that he skated by in the end.

I would hazard to guess that Nicolls and some other Inner Circle types who are win at all costs guys tried to lean on her and she shut them down with extreme prejudice. I’m assuming the conversations were not cordial. I’d imagine Brands is on a very short leash with his new boss (who likely knows about Brands own peccadilloes in high school)

Again, Cochran also lost to 2 nq wrestlers during the season. Penn State absolutely should kick the tires in the portal.
He lost to two All Americans - Beard and Cardenas - and beat the only "NQ" level wrestler he faced by major. He also beat an AA 285.

Just getting the full context out there.

PSU may be approached by a guy wanting to transfer in, but the need is not dire. He's probably not an AA right now, but could certainly push for one next year at 197. I think he's probably podium at 285 if he adds 15 or 20 pounds.

He lost to two All Americans - Beard and Cardenas - and beat the only "NQ" level wrestler he faced by major. He also beat an AA 285.

Just getting the full context out there.

PSU may be approached by a guy wanting to transfer in, but the need is not dire. He's probably not an AA right now, but could certainly push for one next year at 197. I think he's probably podium at 285 if he adds 15 or 20 pounds.
He will improve greatly regardless. I love his style and if he gets the call I'm in favor of it. He did get teched by Beard though so we will see improvement immediately when we wrestle Lehigh

He will improve greatly regardless. I love his style and if he gets the call I'm in favor of it. He did get teched by Beard though so we will see improvement immediately when we wrestle Lehigh
Beard majored Cochran, 20-6. Cardenas beat him 13-6.

If Cardenas wanted to come to PSU, seems like it’d be a perfect fit. That said, I’m sure Cael has a plan! 😂

I'm having fun explaining reality to people. They can't grasp that PSU didn't set this point record solely based on rule changes. Looking back on points for the top 5 since Cael got to PSU you will find this year wasn't the highest point total at the top. You set a points record by being dominating against the other teams. Somehow everyone else seemed to forget how to bonus, things are funny that way.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
And if he planned next year three years ago I doubt it included a transfer. Let's wrestle the guys we have that's what I want to see.
He said he planned this 3 years ago, so I believe him. I also think if a portal guy was available he could change plans. I believe Cael has the ability to adapt.

Thank you to the greatest fans in the world! The support for our son has been amazing! We truly appreciate PSU nation! How cool
Was that to witness the GREATEST WRESTLING TEAM IN NCAA HISTORY!! So awesome. Thank you!!
John I remember your very first posts on here when we were all elated when Aaron committed to be a lion. You have had class throughout, and we have all been blessed to see Aaron develop. I will not be surprised to see him compete in the Olympics this summer. If not, he should already have a ticket to the next.

PS - Tell me please Aaron has 3 younger brothers who wrestle. If not get back at it.

Reactions: ikS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT