ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have the dreaded 'quarterback controversy'?

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Haha!

I kid...I kid. Drew's the man.

But wow. Beau didn't just hold his own. He took the bull by the horns. He showed toughness and leadership. He made plays...with both his arm and his legs. He changed the entire dynamic of the offense by giving it an added dimension. He totally discombobulated Wisconsin's D, which had held us to 7 points in the 1st half. Our own D fed off that and throttled the Badgers in the 2nd half.

I mean, let's be honest: our season was teetering at the half, and Drew's injury conjured up thoughts of the infamous 2021 Iowa game. Except little did we know there was one huge difference: Beau was ready. He knows the offense as well as Drew. But knowing is one thing and delivering is another.

That version of Beau and a performance like that from Beau is more than capable of beating Purdue, Minnesota, and Maryland to close the season. Ohio State next week? That's a tall ask. But who knows.

Obviously when Drew is ready, he's the man. He has to be. But if Drew is anything less than 100%, I think the better option might be to roll the dice with Beau again and see if we can catch magic in a bottle two weeks in a row.

People complain at times about him taking away snaps from Allan this year . Yesterday showed why it was a good decision . It gave him true game time situations that didn't overwhelm him

Right, but we'd seen him in pretty much just one package on offense. Last night he was asked to run the whole show. He made a couple fantastic throws in tight windows. Super impressive.

Reactions: PSU4U and mcpat
Right, but we'd seen him in pretty much just one package on offense. Last night he was asked to run the whole show. He made a couple fantastic throws in tight windows. Super impressive.
He wasn't asked to run everything last night. We kept things basic for him and he did a phenomenal job with that. The pass to Clifford for 23 yards was a great throw. The other two tight windows throws were bad reads with is why you didn't see another RPO after the ball to Wallace.
Beau was great but you and others desperately want to oversell what he did. He did a great job doing what he asked to do. He did not run the whole show. He ran a limited version of our offense. Maybe next week when he gets a week to practice we'll give him more but AK kept it simple. That's a sign of a great OC. He set him up to succeed.

He wasn't asked to run everything last night. We kept things basic for him and he did a phenomenal job with that. The pass to Clifford for 23 yards was a great throw. The other two tight windows throws were bad reads with is why you didn't see another RPO after the ball to Wallace.
Beau was great but you and others desperately want to oversell what he did. He did a great job doing what he asked to do. He did not run the whole show. He ran a limited version of our offense. Maybe next week when he gets a week to practice we'll give him more but AK kept it simple. That's a sign of a great OC. He set him up to succeed.
Only on a message board with this clown can a post criticize "a bad read" but the pass was put into a tight window where it only could have been thrown for a completion. Whew....what a clown. If Drew threw that pass it would have been, "That was a 5 star pass."

Only on a message board with this clown can a post criticize "a bad read" but the pass was put into a tight window where it only could have been thrown for a completion. Whew....what a clown. If Drew threw that pass it would have been, "That was a 5 star pass."
What? The pass to Wallace easily could have been picked. Same if Drew threw it. Why was that the last RPO?

We clearly have a very broad Beau package with more option and short pass plays and some overlap with the regular package. Beau clearly gets a lot of work at practice and Coach K knows how to keep him in his comfort zone.
See this is a great post praising Beau and AK without exaggeration

And your Aunt "could have" been your uncle with a pair of balls.
Sure...and QBs make bad reads that result in productive plays...that doesn't then make it a good decision. Beau will tell you when he watches the film that was a poor decision. It worked so it's fine. Part of his learning curve.

Haha!

I kid...I kid. Drew's the man.

But wow. Beau didn't just hold his own. He took the bull by the horns. He showed toughness and leadership. He made plays...with both his arm and his legs. He changed the entire dynamic of the offense by giving it an added dimension. He totally discombobulated Wisconsin's D, which had held us to 7 points in the 1st half. Our own D fed off that and throttled the Badgers in the 2nd half.

I mean, let's be honest: our season was teetering at the half, and Drew's injury conjured up thoughts of the infamous 2021 Iowa game. Except little did we know there was one huge difference: Beau was ready. He knows the offense as well as Drew. But knowing is one thing and delivering is another.

That version of Beau and a performance like that from Beau is more than capable of beating Purdue, Minnesota, and Maryland to close the season. Ohio State next week? That's a tall ask. But who knows.

Obviously when Drew is ready, he's the man. He has to be. But if Drew is anything less than 100%, I think the better option might be to roll the dice with Beau again and see if we can catch magic in a bottle two weeks in a row.
A couple of thoughts:

First off, congrats to Beau on a gutsy and skilled 2nd half performance against a formidable defense and in a very hostile environment!
He made some good reads and quality throws into tight windows.

If we proceed next week with BP at QB, I do have a couple of concerns.

The first thing is that he will face a defense that is designed to stop him and the things that he excels at vs DA and his skill set.

Secondly, BP is certainly willing, but his build combined with the way that he plays could makes PSU susceptible to being introduced to QB3 prematurely.

It will definitely be interesting to observe as the week progresses.

I would imagine that OSU's DC will have to put in a defensive plan for both QB's just in case DA's injury turns out to be not too serious and he was held out for precautionary purposes....

Obviously Wisconsin is not Ohio State with a week to study film on him, but Beau looks the part that can win games and keep us playoff bound if Drew is out for an extended period.

I also loved Drew’s emotion and engagement when he couldn’t go.

The whole team seems to be playing with a different mindset than we’ve seen of late.

The 12 team playoff changes this equation. I would play Beau vs osu to give time for Allar to get back to 100%, and if that means an L so be it . It is more important to have Allar back for the playoffs.
100% agreed
Plus the loss to Ohio State will pretty much be discarded if we lose as long as Drew plays before the playoff
Different world now

Nobody oversold what they all put in the caveats of it being just one game / you just have to be a jerk and say the opposite of any position people take even when you are dead wrong all the time - maybe don’t post 100,000 times a day - message boards aren’t real life.

Reactions: Jerry
Nobody oversold what they all put in the caveats of it being just one game / you just have to be a jerk and say the opposite of any position people take even when you are dead wrong all the time - maybe don’t post 100,000 times a day - message boards aren’t real life.
I'm not at all
We've had countless people make comments about how he's better than Allar, he's our most accurate passer, etc.
I said he played a great game but he has a long way to go in a week if he's going to beat Ohio State. That's the discussion.
I'm almost never wrong. See the press conference fiasco and the apology. Not wrong about Beau. He played great. Both RPO reads were wrong. He'll learn from that and get better. Saying he ran the whole offense is an exaggeration.

He. Ran. The. Whole. Show. The show was on the field. The game was on the line. Maybe the season was on the line. Beau delivered.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the "bad reads" bullshit. He made some outstanding throws. The team rallied around him. He played a great game after being thrust into a high-pressure situation on the road and behind in the score. It's hard to "oversell" a performance like that.

If it's beau next week, couple thoughts: gotta clean it up, a lot of those read handoffs were.....eventful. he needs to be more decisive and take care of the ball. AK is going to have to come out prepared to throw with Beau, even deep. Remember what OSU did to trace and Barkley with the RPO stuff a few years ago. They'll put 8 in the box and have someone charged with hitting Beau on every play. Gonna have to loosen the defense up, are our WR ready for it? Is Beau?

He. Ran. The. Whole. Show. The show was on the field. The game was on the line. Maybe the season was on the line. Beau delivered.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the "bad reads" bullshit. He made some outstanding throws. The team rallied around him. He played a great game after being thrust into a high-pressure situation on the road and behind in the score. It's hard to "oversell" a performance like that.
Maybe the season as on the line? What? Losing yesterday changes nothing--and we won as soon as Reed had the pick 6. Not sure why people keep ignoring that was the play of the game.
Both RPOs were the wrong read--hence we stupid running RPO--he'll fix that. That's the toughest thing for him right now
He made a beautiful throw to Clifford for 23 yards under pressure
He played a great game
You're overselling what happen--he was efficient as we kept the offense as simple as possible. AK will tell you that.
Great job by Beau. Great job by AK.

A couple of thoughts:

First off, congrats to Beau on a gutsy and skilled 2nd half performance against a formidable defense and in a very hostile environment!
He made some good reads and quality throws into tight windows.

If we proceed next week with BP at QB, I do have a couple of concerns.

The first thing is that he will face a defense that is designed to stop him and the things that he excels at vs DA and his skill set.

Secondly, BP is certainly willing, but his build combined with the way that he plays could makes PSU susceptible to being introduced to QB3 prematurely.

It will definitely be interesting to observe as the week progresses.

I would imagine that OSU's DC will have to put in a defensive plan for both QB's just in case DA's injury turns out to be not too serious and he was held out for precautionary purposes....

Good thoughts.

I think the decision to hold Drew out was more than precautionary, especially with so much riding on the game and behind in the score. Franklin said he asked Drew for an honest answer as to whether he felt fully OK and mobile...and got a negative answer.

As for next week, the Buckeyes feature their usual outstanding D. If I'm not mistaken, their statistics are right up there...top-5 in scoring D and very close to top-10 in passing yards allowed. Huge challenge for whichever QB starts against them.

Yup, if it's Beau, the bubble may burst. But if he can come even close to his performance of last night, I'm thinking he'd be a better option than a less than fully 100% Drew. If Drew is even slightly hobbled, I think the Bucks will tee off on him. That said, I expect Franklin to play it very cagey this week and force Ohio State to prepare for either scenario at our QB position.

100% agreed
Plus the loss to Ohio State will pretty much be discarded if we lose as long as Drew plays before the playoff
Different world now
Everyone using the "playoff" like its a guarantee. While we are in GREAT position, don't sleep on Minnesota away. I know, I know, it was Maryland, however, a late loss in not good if we already have one from Ohio State.

Reactions: mcpat
Why was that the last RPO?

AK hasn't used a lot of RPO through 7 games. The fact we ran some with Beau at QB is probably a case for his speed makes them more viable than Drew's, but overall, we haven't seen a lot of quick slants in this offense. I believe Drew did throw one to Wallace in the 1st quarter (I think it was the Singleton TD drive), but if you go back to previous games, it's just not a big part of the AK scheme. And I also believe Drew's quick slant was probably called as Play Action vs RPO.

Reactions: Jerry
Everyone using the "playoff" like its a guarantee. While we are in GREAT position, don't sleep on Minnesota away. I know, I know, it was Maryland, however, a late loss in not good if we already have one from Ohio State.
10-2 is still a lock for us in the playoff. We can't lose 3 but 2 is fine.
Minnesota nor Washington scare me. Maryland obviously doesn't

AK hasn't used a lot of RPO through 7 games. The fact we ran some with Beau at QB is probably a case for his speed makes them more viable than Drew's, but overall, we haven't seen a lot of quick slants in this offense. I believe Drew did throw one to Wallace in the 1st quarter (I think it was the Singleton TD drive), but if you go back to previous games, it's just not a big part of the AK scheme. And I also believe Drew's quick slant was probably called as Play Action vs RPO.
Agreed--but with Beau it's going to be, in theory, a bigger part of the offense. Which is why we saw it early with Beau
The first one, was a simple misread, that should have been handed to Singelton. It was a bad pre-snap read by him that led to a throw in a tight window--in an RPO that has to be a handoff
The second one, he never saw the LB, got away with that against Wisconsin but won't against Ohio State who is far more athletic.
All good though--this is how he learns
Just like picks are good for Drew because it means he's taking more risk

If it's beau next week, couple thoughts: gotta clean it up, a lot of those read handoffs were.....eventful. he needs to be more decisive and take care of the ball. AK is going to have to come out prepared to throw with Beau, even deep. Remember what OSU did to trace and Barkley with the RPO stuff a few years ago. They'll put 8 in the box and have someone charged with hitting Beau on every play. Gonna have to loosen the defense up, are our WR ready for it? Is Beau?

Re your close, an equally important question: will Drew be?

This will easily be the best D we've seen this year.

Line opened at 3.5 Ohio State...now 4.5 at some books...maybe factoring in our injury uncertainties.

Re your close, an equally important question: will Drew be?

This will easily be the best D we've seen this year.

Line opened at 3.5 Ohio State...now 4.5 at some books...maybe factoring in our injury uncertainties.
People will likely be betting heavy on Ohio State in case Drew doesn't play. That line is about right if we're healthy. I'd stay away. I'm guessing it gets to at least 6 by Thursday

Guy is a complete moron troll and doesn't even know the meaning of the terms he uses - it was a great "read" as he clearly saw the inside defender and "threw the receiver open" (i.e., threw it to a spot to the outside of inside defender and making receiver adjust to where it was thrown - which was to a spot where only his guy could get it). He displayed incredible accuracy on all his passes - the pass to Allen that came up just short but picked up a ton of important field position allowing us to keep Wisconsin pinned deep in their own territory waa a great pass in full scramble mood.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
And your Aunt "could have" been your uncle with a pair of balls.
Where do you draw the line on that logic? If a QB throws a pass right into the hands of a defensive player, but that player drops it, do you say it wasn't a bad pass, because it "could have" been intercepted but wasn't?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT