ADVERTISEMENT

Effects of Nickal to 197 - SIAP

psuflyguy

Mar 23, 2013
So if Bo were to go to 197, and Shak to 184 - which I think he could if he was at 192 or so in full weight gain mode - I think it hurts Ohio State's points at Nationals. If Nickal went to '97, it would seem almost certain that Z.Valencia would move to '84. With no ZA at 74, Hall is a super strong favorite to win, with OSU wrestling whomever takes over for BoJo. At '84, if Martin didn't redshirt, he'd be at best a push preseason vs. Valencia, with Shak likely finishing at a podium spot not very different than he would at 97. Bo at 97 is the massive favorite, bumping Moore down a spot from where OSU would expect him to finish. I know this is all just conjecture and based on the notion (not certainty) that Bo moves up, but I guess this is what we do in the off season. Anyway, sorry if that has already been discussed.

I'm not sure that the issue of Bo possibly going 197 will likely affect Z Valencia. He could very well go up even if Bo stays at 184, allowing his brother to move up to 174 which I've heard would be a better weight for him. I do think that if Bo goes up to 197, that would likely push Moore down a slot (although Rasheed/Cassar could do that as well).

Reactions: udt012
Last update: Bo on twitter, holding some kind of snack on a cracker in close up. Suspicious, telling, and forboding, of a move to 197? You be the judge. Me, I've seen enough. Bo...to 197.

Iowa is the new tOSU. Not all that worried about the Buckeyes.
Possible you are correct for next year, but saying Iowa is the new tOSU is way off the mark at this time. tOSU will be formidable over the next 5 years. Iowa still has some catching up to do to stock up like the Buckeyes.

Possible you are correct for next year, but saying Iowa is the new tOSU is way off the mark at this time. tOSU will be formidable over the next 5 years. Iowa still has some catching up to do to stock up like the Buckeyes.

Agreed. Iowa has a shorter window.

If Iowa becomes more formidable, it will be in large part because they are, in a sense, now PA West . . . or PA Midwest.

Half their projected lineup will be PA guys: Lee, Kemmerer, Young, Murin, and DeSanto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Law-Deezie
Iowa is a spencer lee injury away from not being NC relevant....again. Im also curious to see their "plan" for future recruiting before they are lumped in with tO$U in my book.

Agree there.

The only reason they are in the conversation next year is because of a couple transfers ... DeSanto and Lugo. That's not the way to build a dynasty.

How did Young get down to 157 so fast or did I miss something? I thought he was up at 174? Young >Glosser a given?
I wondered how Kem jumps two weights in one season. I hope it works for him and he finishes second. It is a big jump in a season, especially with him coming off of injury.

Reactions: lionlover
I wondered how Kem jumps two weights in one season. I hope it works for him and he finishes second. It is a big jump in a season, especially with him coming off of injury.
Seen it before of course. Realbuto I can recall, Rodrigues from Illinois? I think they're okay with Kem dog at 74, but it is a jump no doubt.

And especially since the only reason he was at 57 six months ago was because of Sorensen...at least according to a few posters.

Seen it before of course. Realbuto I can recall, Rodrigues from Illinois? I think they're okay with Kem dog at 74, but it is a jump no doubt.
Steve Rodrigues went up 3 weight classes in one year. In 2015, he wrestled 141 and DID NOT PLACE. In 2016, he wrestled 165, and finished 5th. Moving up, many times, works out well...

Last edited:
And especially since the only reason he was at 57 six months ago was because of Sorensen...at least according to a few posters.
I don't believe that to have been true though. I think he had trouble holding weight at 157. He looked pretty lean to me. I think he'll be successful up at 174.

Movin on up is a good thing, for both wrestlers, and for the Jeffersons. Some get on the podium, others get a DEE LUXE apartment in the sky. Win-Win.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'm thinking Kemdog will be a tough sob at any weight he chooses, but I can't see him top 3 at 174. He shoots plenty of straight on shots and uses horsepower to pull it in and finish. Hall,ZV, and Amine are three guys that will not work against. It would probably be better to put the bull at 174 and Kem at 165, but the bull is still having bad dreams from the Hall beat downs.

I'm thinking Kemdog will be a tough sob at any weight he chooses, but I can't see him top 3 at 174. He shoots plenty of straight on shots and uses horsepower to pull it in and finish. Hall,ZV, and Amine are three guys that will not work against. It would probably be better to put the bull at 174 and Kem at 165, but the bull is still having bad dreams from the Hall beat downs.

He does have a good memory of the Joseph match o_O

The OSU fr class is outstanding. They appear to have secured Ohio, and are going nowhere IMO.

He does have a good memory of the Joseph match o_O
165 was loaded last season. Cenzo wrestled a fantastic nationals to win the thing, while the Bull I think hit a wall. I look for Marinelli to rise up this year and finish higher on the podium at the Burgh, but Cenzo has that something special come crunch time that seems to bring home the bacon.

Reactions: VRE
If Iowa becomes more formidable, it will be in large part because they are, in a sense, now PA West . . . or PA Midwest.

Half their projected lineup will be PA guys: Lee, Kemmerer, Young, Murin, and DeSanto.

With the obvious exception of Spencer Lee, you might also describe Iowa’s PA contingent as “PSU’s Jayvee”

As good as Kem is, if he really does need to bump to 174 this season, he probably would have spent five years at Penn State without ever being a regular starter. Same with Young and probably Murin. We’ll see with DeSanto.

With the obvious exception of Spencer Lee, you might also describe Iowa’s PA contingent as “PSU’s Jayvee”

As good as Kem is, if he really does need to bump to 174 this season, he probably would have spent five years at Penn State without ever being a regular starter. Same with Young and probably Murin. We’ll see with DeSanto.

I've already checked out a thread on DeSanto and the effect the Iowa room will have on him.

However, all I got out of it, was another good guide to travel and food.

I don't think they wanted Moore. I thought he was super impressive as a freshman, but he kind of leveled off.
Perhaps. My initial reaction to "locked down Ohio" was that they had Marinelli until they didn't ... but that was 2 years earlier.

David Carr is from Ohio like Mark Hall is from Minnesota. David went to high school in Ohio, he’s certainly not from there. Not that I agree with the premise that Ohio State has secured Ohio.
He also spent the past couple years in Ohio and had OSU as a finalist. Definitely not from the state where he'll attend college.

I don't think they wanted Moore. I thought he was super impressive as a freshman, but he kind of leveled off.
Agree with this. 2 years ago in a conversation with a college coach, he pretty much called that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT