ADVERTISEMENT

ETR Escape the Rock

Quarterfinals are finished. At 121 both Knox and Botero won but Link lost. At 133 Dalton Perry beat Hayden Cunningham 2-1. Consiglio won on the bottom side. At 139 Rath beat Bouyssou, Mason beat Simcox, Nini beat Barnhart, and Manville beat Rozynski. At 145 the top seed Henckel injury defaulted in his first match to completely mess up that quarter and Stein from Faith Christian is into the semis. Bouzakis lost in his quarter, while Asher Cunningham lost to Dupill and Gaj beat Cartella. At 172 number 1 seed Garcia and number 2 Waters both won and are into the semis. Heavyweight is one of the toughest weights and the semis will be Mullen vs Paclechko and Neves vs Robell. All 4 are very good. Neves at one point was a PSU soft verbal. Not sure if that has changed or not

No McGowan, no jacaruso. Darn
This is no surprise. McGowan is so good but not a grind. Once I saw that list I had a feeling he would drop or not make weight. Same with Jacaruso. He doesn’t want that rematch.

139 is loaded

Willie mentioned Neves kind of committed to PSU but didn’t announce since he wasn’t sure where he was on the PSU 285 pecking order. If Cael shows him love, hard to imagine he doesn’t finalize it.

lots of good matches. My takes

Ayden Smith is a big boy at 107. He is good at winning the close matches. Great win over Dekraker.

Nate Desmond is a Tasmanian devil. Deluca is overrated and heard struggled with the second day weigh in. Malvern has second string monster. Off the bench comes Littleton and he busts up the bracket. Nice job young man. Mutarelli May have lost his starting job.

Huge disappointment with McGowan and jacarso dropping out. Knox would of beaten them both Any way. Mason Zeigler is the bright spot here. Great work young man.

Nicky ONeil is back- after a rough Ironman he is back to form. He doesn’t look like much but man is he a cradling machine

Dalton Perry just wins! Nothing flashy, borderline boring but he wins. 2-1,2-1,5-3 Consaglio is a tough kid. This weight was a fun one

Kollin Rath is very good. He wins the hardest bracket at ETR. I heard some whispers about him getting seeded #1. Not much can be said now. His hustle is another level. Simcox had a sneaky good weekend

Collin Gaj beat a huge Julian George in the finals. Gaj is like Perry, he doesn’t score much but knows how to win.

Matt Henrich gets the job done. Weidemoyer is the bright spot. So young and so tough. Another Faith academy stud. These guys are starting to make a name for themselves. He is going to be an issue in the next few years.

Condomitti top seed was a surprise to me. He does the semi slide. Josiah Queen is under rated on the national level. He is skilled

ADAM WATTERS wow. What is Faith Academy drinking? Watters is 16 but still a freshmen and beats a monster senior in Holden Garcia. He will be a multiple time PIAA champion. When will AA push for Faith to pump up to AAA. When will they just decide to? Waters will be like Conner Harer & Rune Lawerance and not have any competition at AA states

Dillion Bechtold is a long wrestler. He knows how to use that length

Neves is. Full time wrestler. He beats Robell and Mullins. Both imo are in football shape. Not that it’s an excuse but I think all three are top tier HWT’s. PSU needs to get after Neves. He wants to come to happy valley and now it’s time to go after him.

Last edited:
A few other results. Rath beats Manville 3-1. Dalton Perry beats Consiglio 5-3. Vince Bouzakis takes 5th losing 10-0 to Dupill on the backside. Kind of surprised me. Knox beats Botero 9-2. Adam Waters beats Garcia 3-1 at 172 lbs. Desmond beats Littleton who beat DeLuca in the semis. Littleton I believe doesn’t usually start because he is behind Mutarelli. If so they need to figure out a way to get both in the lineup. Beating DeLuca is a big win

Reactions: danoftw
Maybe so, but Neves has clearly made a pretty big jump. You don’t beat Robell and Mullen in the same tournament by accident.
Agreed he is still young and absent us landing Hopke, I see a solid NCAA kid but nothing is screaming future AA to me at this point in time. This is from a month ago, you be the judge.

Agreed he is still young and absent us landing Hopke, I see a solid NCAA kid but nothing is screaming future AA to me at this point in time. This is from a month ago, you be the judge.

Dillan Johnson would also be recruited by every school in the country if not for football, and I’m not sure wins and losses right now is what you need to look for in a prospect. He’s an athletic kid with a frame to hold more weight and is always looking to score.

Reactions: zzs006
Dillan Johnson would also be recruited by every school in the country if not for football, and I’m not sure wins and losses right now is what you need to look for in a prospect. He’s an athletic kid with a frame to hold more weight and is always looking to score.
More weight on Johnson?? The legs on that boy are THICK! Doubt he could add much more.

A few other results. Rath beats Manville 3-1. Dalton Perry beats Consiglio 5-3. Vince Bouzakis takes 5th losing 10-0 to Dupill on the backside. Kind of surprised me. Knox beats Botero 9-2. Adam Waters beats Garcia 3-1 at 172 lbs. Desmond beats Littleton who beat DeLuca in the semis. Littleton I believe doesn’t usually start because he is behind Mutarelli. If so they need to figure out a way to get both in the lineup. Beating DeLuca is a big win
Rath is another one who needs to be on our radar. He keeps getting better and better. Bouzakis has taken a bunch of loses this year.
Watters could be the next Pitzer or Lawerance. An upper weight who rips through aa. Littleton is really good but deluca is overrated. I am surprised if Littleton can’t beat Muterilli. Is it a seniority thing at Malvern?
Faith academy out places NDGP and Becca. They are or soon will be the new king in PA.

More weight on Johnson??
fainting.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
The hawks called him on day 1 despite already having Kueter. He's a great prospect if he wrestles.

Mullen is so overrated. I think i had this convo on here a while back during a debate about Feldman. His rep was built on being really good *for a fresh/soph at heavyweight.* Similar hype for his football career. But he isn't an elite athlete and is being passed by guys who are. Again, exact same thing happened in football for him. Good, but not great.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
The hawks called him on day 1 despite already having Kueter. He's a great prospect if he wrestles.

Mullen is so overrated. I think i had this convo on here a while back during a debate about Feldman. His rep was built on being really good *for a fresh/soph at heavyweight.* Similar hype for his football career. But he isn't an elite athlete and is being passed by guys who are. Again, exact same thing happened in football for him. Good, but not great.
He’s still a plus athlete for wrestling, but yeah definitely not on the football field. He seems to have added size for football too which has hurt his wrestling.

Mullen's world silver may have also been a factor.

Kinda surprising to see him getting caught/passed this quickly. In college, that's more understandable. But a one-year turn-around? Last year he handled Robell comfortably, and last year Neves was 5th at Ironman. Plus the football season excuse doesn't work with Robell (who will play college football).

Reactions: js8793
Mullen's world silver may have also been a factor.

Kinda surprising to see him getting caught/passed this quickly. In college, that's more understandable. But a one-year turn-around? Last year he handled Robell comfortably, and last year Neves was 5th at Ironman. Plus the football season excuse doesn't work with Robell (who will play college football).
I think age level world results have to be taken in the context of a larger body of work. We've seen some guys do well there and not be world beaters at home. Off the top of my head, Manville, Verkleeren, Lewan, McHenry, and Matt Ramos were cadet champs. Hoffman, Assad, Facundo, and Owen Webster were medalists. The difficulty of the bracket can be unpredictable and it's hard to judge since we aren't familiar with the international youth scene.

I think age level world results have to be taken in the context of a larger body of work. We've seen some guys do well there and not be world beaters at home. Off the top of my head, Manville, Verkleeren, Lewan, McHenry, and Matt Ramos were cadet champs. Hoffman, Assad, Facundo, and Owen Webster were medalists. The difficulty of the bracket can be unpredictable and it's hard to judge since we aren't familiar with the international youth scene.
Man, you really don’t like Facundo. Pretty sure he will have a great career and definitely better than everyone else you listed

Man, you really don’t like Facundo. Pretty sure he will have a great career and definitely better than everyone else you listed
haha i threw him in there for fun. although he's not "definitely better" than Lewan, Hoffman, or Ramos. Not yet at least. the point is age level medals don't necessarily equal elite recruit.

I disagree here. Just making a world team in the USA is crazy hard. DT didn’t have his first world team, at any level until 7-8 years out of College. I think anyone who makes a USA world team and places,, could have a very bright future. Naturally things come up, Training stops, life happens, lifestyle changes etc but those kids are 110% on every college coaches radar and on the perfect path for their age group.

Looking through the world team trial brackets is insanity, all the amazing matches and results. Cary Kolat went to 15 us opens and only won three of them.

Looking back the last 10-15 years. If wrestlers place high at Super 32, WTT, Ironman, Doc b, beast, fargo, those are the highly recruited wrestlers. Most do turn out and there is & always will be the ones who don’t. On the other side, There will be the ones who come out of no where or don’t even do those competitions who do amazing in college

True enough, though which of them were passed by others in folk while still in HS?

I disagree here. Just making a world team in the USA is crazy hard. DT didn’t have his first world team, at any level until 7-8 years out of College. I think anyone who makes a USA world team and places,, could have a very bright future. Naturally things come up, Training stops, life happens, lifestyle changes etc but those kids are 110% on every college coaches radar and on the perfect path for their age group.

Looking through the world team trial brackets is insanity, all the amazing matches and results. Cary Kolat went to 15 us opens and only won three of them.

DT made a junior world team after his sophomore year in high school.

What are you talking about? Manville gave us 8 great years!

True enough, though which of them were passed by others in folk while still in HS?
Manville definitely. Was beaten by Hidlay and Marinelli. McHenry, though this is probably due to size. Still, he went from unbeatable to losing multiple matches his last couple years. The others, and this might be the bigger point, weren't ever the best kids in the country in folk.

Okay, you're conflating senior level difficulty with age level. Not every age level bracket is filled with top kids. Go look at past cadet teams. Plenty of guys who went on to do nothing at the college level.

Manville definitely. Was beaten by Hidlay and Marinelli. McHenry, though this is probably due to size. Still, he went from unbeatable to losing multiple matches his last couple years. The others, and this might be the bigger point, weren't ever the best kids in the country in folk.

Okay, you're conflating senior level difficulty with age level. Not every age level bracket is filled with top kids. Go look at past cadet teams. Plenty of guys who went on to do nothing at the college level.
He beat Hidlay after at WNO.

yeah but hidlay was like 3-1 against him in that series that year. pretty clearly passed him.
Passed but was never that far behind. They were ranked 1-2 nationally for their last HS year together, and IIRC the year before that as well. This wasn't like Neves passing Mullen, or like Robell losing to Mullen 7-3 one year and then 3-1 the next.

Agreed with your point about the others not being as good at folk. Verk was the one that always stuck out to me -- pinned at regionals, 4th at PA states, a few months later won world gold.

Youth world medals by themselves aren’t the best predictor. Guys who win those medals while also dominating Fargo, Super 32 and other big tournaments are the elite recruits.

Reactions: vhsalum
Kasak was hanging out at ETR this weekend. He is a local kid so it makes sense but thought the board here would be interested

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT