ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Couple and small child booted from plane for 'body odor'.....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

We haven't had a good discussion about American airlines (in this case, American Airlines) and their hospitality in a while - this should be interesting..... I will say I've been on planes and sat next to folks who don't use deodorant for whatever reason (notably flights in/out of NYC), but I have never made an issue of it. I do find the way the airline got the family off the plane a bit sneaky - saying there was an emergency and then revealing the truth - that it was the man's body odor - only after they were off. I couldn't in good conscious remove a small child from a plane and have to think they could have dealt with this another way (maybe move them to another area of the plane?), but I also do not think this was motivated by Antisemitism....from The Washington Post:

A Jewish family was booted from a flight over ‘body odor’ — but says anti-Semitism is to blame

A Michigan couple and their 19-month-old daughter were removed from an American Airlines flight after the airline told them that other passengers and crew members had complained about their body odor.

Yossi Adler said he and his wife, Jennie, were heading home from a vacation in Miami on Wednesday night when they were told there was an emergency and they needed to exit the plane.

The couple, both 37, had eight other children at home in Southfield, Mich., so Adler said that he and his wife were worried that there may have been an incident involving one of them. Later, he said, when he and his wife stepped off the plane and the airline told them that they had been removed because of a stench, they were “humiliated,” “frustrated” and left wondering about the real reason.

“Obviously, there was a reason,” Adler, who is Jewish, said in a phone interview Friday with The Washington Post. “But I think it was an anti-Semitic reason."

"Even if it wasn’t,” he added, “they were anti-Semitic afterward.”

American Airlines said in a statement that the Adlers were asked to deplane after “multiple passengers, along with our crew members, complained about Mr. Adler’s body odor. Our Miami airport team members were concerned about the comfort of our other passengers due to the odor. Our team members took care of the family and provided hotel accommodations and meals, and rebooked them on a flight to Detroit Thursday morning.”

The airline said its employees did not know of Adler’s religion.

Adler said the vouchers that American Airlines gave him for food and lodging did not work, so he had to pay out of pocket. The airline said that should not have been the case but that it will look into the matter and ensure any such expenses are reimbursed.

In any case, Adler said, had the airline been that concerned about his body odor, it should have given him clean clothes to wear. Instead, he said, he had to wear the same clothes on the flight the next morning because he did not have his belongings.

Video showed the Adlers approach a ticket counter Wednesday evening, complaining that the airline had removed them from the plane and then sent their belongings ahead to Detroit.

“I’m trying to stay calm here,” Yossi Adler told an employee. “But there’s two Jewish people on the plane, and now they’re kicking us off because of odor. Seriously? Nobody here thinks I have odor.

“I need to get on a plane tonight. I have eight children at home.”

At one point, after Adler asked airline workers for an explanation for the removal, one of them asked him, “You told me for religious reasons you don’t shower?”

“I shower every day!” Adler quickly responded. “I said you kicked me off because of religious reasons.”

A person who spoke to The Post on the condition of anonymity said that he and his girlfriend were also on the plane and that there was indeed a stench.

Another woman who claims to have been on the flight took to Twitter to back up American Airline’s claim. “The smell was so bad I don’t think I could have made it through the 2.5 hr flight,” she said.

Reactions: JoeParulz
not quite the same but, I was on a Frontier flight, the plane was taxiing to the runway, when a women stood up and started to go to the Head (bathroom). They told her to sit down the plane was moving etc. She said she had to change the babies diaper, they said she had to sit down. She changed the babies diaper, and threw it on the floor. It was a pleasant trip.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
We haven't had a good discussion about American airlines (in this case, American Airlines) and their hospitality in a while - this should be interesting..... I will say I've been on planes and sat next to folks who don't use deodorant for whatever reason (notably flights in/out of NYC), but I have never made an issue of it. I do find the way the airline got the family off the plane a bit sneaky - saying there was an emergency and then revealing the truth - that it was the man's body odor - only after they were off. I couldn't in good conscious remove a small child from a plane and have to think they could have dealt with this another way (maybe move them to another area of the plane?), but I also do not think this was motivated by Antisemitism....from The Washington Post:

A Jewish family was booted from a flight over ‘body odor’ — but says anti-Semitism is to blame

A Michigan couple and their 19-month-old daughter were removed from an American Airlines flight after the airline told them that other passengers and crew members had complained about their body odor.

Yossi Adler said he and his wife, Jennie, were heading home from a vacation in Miami on Wednesday night when they were told there was an emergency and they needed to exit the plane.

The couple, both 37, had eight other children at home in Southfield, Mich., so Adler said that he and his wife were worried that there may have been an incident involving one of them. Later, he said, when he and his wife stepped off the plane and the airline told them that they had been removed because of a stench, they were “humiliated,” “frustrated” and left wondering about the real reason.

“Obviously, there was a reason,” Adler, who is Jewish, said in a phone interview Friday with The Washington Post. “But I think it was an anti-Semitic reason."

American Airlines said in a statement that the Adlers were asked to deplane after “multiple passengers, along with our crew members, complained about Mr. Adler’s body odor. Our Miami airport team members were concerned about the comfort of our other passengers due to the odor. Our team members took care of the family and provided hotel accommodations and meals, and rebooked them on a flight to Detroit Thursday morning.”

Adler said the vouchers that American Airlines gave him for food and lodging did not work, so he had to pay out of pocket. The airline said that should not have been the case but that it will look into the matter and ensure any such expenses are reimbursed.

In any case, Adler said, had the airline been that concerned about his body odor, it should have given him clean clothes to wear. Instead, he said, he had to wear the same clothes on the flight the next morning because he did not have his belongings.

Video showed the Adlers approach a ticket counter Wednesday evening, complaining that the airline had removed them from the plane and then sent their belongings ahead to Detroit.

“I’m trying to stay calm here,” Yossi Adler told an employee. “But there’s two Jewish people on the plane, and now they’re kicking us off because of odor. Seriously? Nobody here thinks I have odor.

At one point, after Adler asked airline workers for an explanation for the removal, one of them asked him, “You told me for religious reasons you don’t shower?”

“I shower every day!” Adler quickly responded. “I said you kicked me off because of religious reasons.”

A person who spoke to The Post on the condition of anonymity said that he and his girlfriend were also on the plane and that there was indeed a stench.

Another woman who claims to have been on the flight took to Twitter to back up American Airline’s claim. “The smell was so bad I don’t think I could have made it through the 2.5 hr flight,” she said.

There is body odor then there is BODY ODOR!! To sit next to someone who has intense body odor is unacceptable. While stationed in Europe, I had to perform physicals on individuals who had not washed for days and did not use deodorant. I felt that they had no sense of the other. If for whatever tradition - personal or religious, someone wishes not to bathe, then put them on the windg!

Stinky people and fat people shouldn’t be allowed to fly. Yeah, I said it. Stink shaming is OK. It’s for their own good. :cool:

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Stinky people and fat people shouldn’t be allowed to fly. Yeah, I said it. Stink shaming is OK. It’s for their own good. :cool:
If fat people buy first class or an extra seat then they should be allowed to fly.

Tough situation. Hard for the stinker not to take it personally. He must really be oblivious to his odor to look beyond that (which was identified as the reason) and claim it was something else. No sir. We removed you because you reek. It doesn't matter why, whether you knew it or whether it was intentional.

Flip the hypo on its head. Let's say it's a teenager covering himself with something stinky to play a practical joke, or to torture those around him. Does anyone think he shouldn't be removed for the comfort of those around him?

We have our senses in significant part to alert us to dangers. Sounds like this guy was a 10-alarm fire, or a leper. So as uncomfortable as it was, the airline did the right thing.

Tough situation. Hard for the stinker not to take it personally. He must really be oblivious to his odor to look beyond that (which was identified as the reason) and claim it was something else. No sir. We removed you because you reek. It doesn't matter why, whether you knew it or whether it was intentional.

Flip the hypo on its head. Let's say it's a teenager covering himself with something stinky to play a practical joke, or to torture those around him. Does anyone think he shouldn't be removed for the comfort of those around him?

We have our senses in significant part to alert us to dangers. Sounds like this guy was a 10-alarm fire, or a leper. So as uncomfortable as it was, the airline did the right thing.

Two and a half hour flight though? 19 month old baby? I agree it is a tough situation, noting inconveniencing three people for the sake of everyone else is the smart math.

I’m all for banning “stinkers” from flying. It could become a slippery slope though. How does one quantify stench? What about the person who has used far too much perfume/cologne?

I’m all for banning “stinkers” from flying. It could become a slippery slope though. How does one quantify stench? What about the person who has used far too much perfume/cologne?
yes

Reactions: bison13

Everything is a slippery slope.

In this case it was other passengers that complained and thus they were removed.

I would guess they did this intentionally.

LdN

Hasidics can be absolutely disgusting, sorry to sound anti-semetic. Anyone who has stood next to them on a crowded and hot subway can attest to that.

Last edited:
Well, it would appear that someone besides Jimmah Hairball stinks in Meetchicken!

The guy says he showers every day. How do you develop that level of stink if you shower every day? Either he's not telling the truth or the others are exaggerating the stink. We hosted an exchange student from France for a week a number of years ago. He showered every night but I don't think he used deodorant. Because by evening the next day, he started to smell a bit ripe, although nothing close to disgusting. So something doesn't make sense here.

Two and a half hour flight though? 19 month old baby? I agree it is a tough situation, noting inconveniencing three people for the sake of everyone else is the smart math.
Short flight. Baby WITH THEM, which hurts and helps. That said, most intelligent travelers carry-on whatever they need for the little one. But the little one was almost 2, so a toddler and not a baby. The BABY was probably walking. And airlines tend to allow basically everything checked at the gate. Apparently 8 other kids at home is tough too. Someone had to be responsible for them.

Def a tough situation and a tough call. Can easily argue they should have been allowed. But given the number of stinky people who get on flights and are allowed to stay (and that some legal or social-media backlash was likely), gotta have some faith this was an extreme example of body stench, that those involved had the best intentions and they took the decision seriously.

The guy says he showers every day. How do you develop that level of stink if you shower every day? Either he's not telling the truth or the others are exaggerating the stink. We hosted an exchange student from France for a week a number of years ago. He showered every night but I don't think he used deodorant. Because by evening the next day, he started to smell a bit ripe, although nothing close to disgusting. So something doesn't make sense here.

Traveling in Europe over the years, I’ve experienced a fair share of stink. The worst was on a visit to London. All of the bellhops at my hotel were Indian and stunk to high heaven. Nice, clean, red uniforms, but you couldn’t be near them for two seconds. They must have never bathed.

Clothes? See that w/Amish here in Lancaster Cty.

Touchy subject. While I don't like to generalize about one group of people if one drives through Lakewood NJ it may give a little perspective and understanding regarding the article. If you're really adventurous walk through Lakewood during a hot summer day.

Some people are overly sensitive to odors (body, perfume, soap etc.) so I could see if one or two people raised a stink (pun intended), but if more than that were complaining including the flight attendants, who I am sure encounter their fair share of stinkiness, you have to go. If you claim you shower/wash your clothes regularly and smell that bad, you are either a liar or there is something majorly medically wrong with you.

Well, maybe a 15 second shower with no soap and a dirty, week-old towel.....

Reactions: Madsol and N&B4PSU
There are ways. My first roommate in Stuart Hall was a nice guy with absolutely incredible BO. You couldn’t believe it. No idea if this situation is similar but if I were sitting next to my former roommate for a two and a half hour flight, I’d ask to be moved to a later flight if it came to that.

Reactions: Madsol and RU31trap
Touchy subject. While I don't like to generalize about one group of people if one drives through Lakewood NJ it may give a little perspective and understanding regarding the article. If you're really adventurous walk through Lakewood during a hot summer day.

How can you tell the people stink from the NJ stink?

Traveling in Europe over the years, I’ve experienced a fair share of stink. The worst was on a visit to London. All of the bellhops at my hotel were Indian and stunk to high heaven. Nice, clean, red uniforms, but you couldn’t be near them for two seconds. They must have never bathed.
Or bathed in the river.

Ding Ding Ding. Much like the gritty lawsuit, something besides the passenger definitely stinks.

Reactions: Madsol
Ding Ding Ding. Much like the gritty lawsuit, something besides the passenger definitely stinks.
He’s not telling the truth. If an Amish farmer somehow was on a plane and smelled incredibly ripe like is common, people would complain about the stink, not that’s he’s Amish.

Reactions: sluggo72
This is an interesting thread/debate.

I had one stinky experience--on an early nonstop from Pittsburgh to Phoenix. Dude at the end of the aisle wearing pajamas (okay, whatever) while sporting greasy hair had the aisle seat. He smelled pretty gnarly, and had tomato juice for his in-flight drink. That made things much worse.....who the hell orders tomato juice? It wasn't a pleasant flight.

I can't imagine how bad one must stink to get kicked off a flight though.

We don't know the truth, but everything today is either , raciest, anti this or that , maybe they did stink.

We don't know the truth, but everything today is either , raciest, anti this or that , maybe they did stink.

I can't imagine people 'made up' the stink thing, and I especially do not think this was a deliberate attempt at religious discrimination. That said, he contends he showers every day - what if he said, 'It's against my religion to shower on X day, so I didn't shower, and since you kicked me off the plane you're violating my right to practice religious freedom.' Of course, he didn't say that, and interesting now that that's his angle. My guess is someone said something to a FA, that person approached and agreed, and it was significant enough to get them off the plane. I'm still not sure I agree with it, but I 'get' it, and most definitely do not believe it was because he was Jewish.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'm posting this as a public service to all of you who stink and don't know it. For all I know it may include me. :(

I've also heard taking a chlorophyll supplement can help with BO. Of course it won't help the stink which comes from bad hygiene.

8 FOODS THAT MAKE YOU STINK

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT