ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - The Exponential Maturation of Drew Allar

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

See Link. Couple things stood out while editing this. 1. It's amazing to think back and recall how lost and overwhelmed Allar seemed in last year's Blue-White game and how he looked and performed like a completely different person when he tagged in for a series vs. Purdue. The leap from "then" to then-- April to Sept. -- has to be viewed as an optimistic sign that he'll make another huge leap as a sophomore compared to a freshman, 2. Even as a true freshman, he had better pocket presence and kept his eyes downfield better than Clifford did for his first five years in the program and his ability to go from WR 1, to WR 2, to WR 3 to check down to the RB might already be better than Clifford ever was in that dept. To us, the fact that Franklin that wants to allocated so many reps for Pribula this spring feels like a huge compliment to Allar's growth and the confidence the coaching staff has in him.

Reactions: indynittany
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

See Link. Couple things stood out while editing this. 1. It's amazing to think back and recall how lost and overwhelmed Allar seemed in last year's Blue-White game and how he looked and performed like a completely different person when he tagged in for a series vs. Purdue. The leap from "then" to then-- April to Sept. -- has to be viewed as an optimistic sign that he'll make another huge leap as a sophomore compared to a freshman, 2. Even as a true freshman, he had better pocket presence and kept his eyes downfield better than Clifford did for his first five years in the program and his ability to go from WR 1, to WR 2, to WR 3 to check down to the RB might already be better than Clifford ever was in that dept. To us, the fact that Franklin that wants to allocated so many reps for Pribula this spring feels like a huge compliment to Allar's growth and the confidence the coaching staff has in him.
Haven’t watched yet but Franklin is working Pribula hard as he learned his lesson in the 2021 Iowa game. You need a quality back up ready at any point in the season.

DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

In Cliffords defense. He had the shit knocked out of him for better part of 5 years. Think I’d have jumpy feet and look to run first too. The beatings he took had to effected his play. That’s why it’s so important we get good blocking and get our running game going. Defenses are going to do their best to come after Allar and stuff the run. He’s gonna need to hit those adjustment routes to keep defenses on their heels.

Let’s be honest. In mop up duty against a real team in Michigan, he looked stiff and scared. Hardly and zip on his throws.

I’m sure he’ll look good vs Indiana and Northwestern. Great defense like Michigan/Ohio St will eat him alive

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Let’s be honest. In mop up duty against a real team in Michigan, he looked stiff and scared. Hardly and zip on his throws.

I’m sure he’ll look good vs Indiana and Northwestern. Great defense like Michigan/Ohio St will eat him alive
I already know that Michigan’s qb isn’t good enough to win a playoff game; that’s fact. At least he probably won’t get a chance next season to see if he can.

Reactions: bison13
Haven’t watched yet but Franklin is working Pribula hard as he learned his lesson in the 2021 Iowa game. You need a quality back up ready at any point in the season.
This can't be true. I know this because the REALLY smart people on this board have assured us that no college coach worries about his backup QB or how they might perform if called upon.

but that doesn't fit the narrative of the film study so we're going to ignore it.

but that doesn't fit the narrative of the film study so we're going to ignore it.
Maybe he’s improved. From an outsider, watching him play vs the Michigan 2 string defense, I wasn’t overly impressed.

He’s a statue. Will get killed vs fast D lines like Michigan/OSU

I have zero doubt in Allar. All he has to do is stay healthy. Actually when you think about it cliff was pretty good when he was healthy. Availability is important

Reactions: brupsu
This can't be true. I know this because the REALLY smart people on this board have assured us that no college coach worries about his backup QB or how they might perform if called upon.
No one on this board has said anything even remotely similar to that.

Maybe he’s improved. From an outsider, watching him play vs the Michigan 2 string defense, I wasn’t overly impressed.

That’s funny.

Reactions: royboy

Yeah, because he has no running game.....

And, oh yeah, no talent at TE for quick hitters...

And no talent in his O-line...

Ooops.

Reactions: Dynoman

Does Michigan have a team?

I wonder if you can have them both on the field at the same time. One of the challenges for offenses is that personnel sets have tendencies. That is why when a wildcat WB comes in it is rarely more successful that the registrar offense. The D gets a chance to change based on that sets tendencies.

It Pribula can play slot receiver and Allar TE, you could shift into Pribula running a zone read while Allar runs more of a standard pocket offense. But it is the same personal set and the D wouldn’t be able to sub in during a hurry up offensive series

I wonder if you can have them both on the field at the same time. One of the challenges for offenses is that personnel sets have tendencies. That is why when a wildcat WB comes in it is rarely more successful that the registrar offense. The D gets a chance to change based on that sets tendencies.

It Pribula can play slot receiver and Allar TE, you could shift into Pribula running a zone read while Allar runs more of a standard pocket offense. But it is the same personal set and the D wouldn’t be able to sub in during a hurry up offensive series
I think that was tried with Zach Mills and Michael Robison. While initially confusing for the defense, it effectively removes one offensive player from being a serious threat, especially when run more than once.

I think reasonable expectations for the supporting cast is to provide significantly more than no threat at RB (which Clifford had to endure) and a likewise reasonable OL protection (again which Clifford for the most part did not have), and then expect Allar to develop his pocket presence and foot work to move around as needed, and every now and then (hopefully when it means something) to run-he has the size to do so and absorb a hit.

Projecting too much or too little at this point is unfair and pretty much a waste of energy to write or read.

I think that was tried with Zach Mills and Michael Robison. While initially confusing for the defense, it effectively removes one offensive player from being a serious threat, especially when run more than once.

I think reasonable expectations for the supporting cast is to provide significantly more than no threat at RB (which Clifford had to endure) and a likewise reasonable OL protection (again which Clifford for the most part did not have), and then expect Allar to develop his pocket presence and foot work to move around as needed, and every now and then (hopefully when it means something) to run-he has the size to do so and absorb a hit.

Projecting too much or too little at this point is unfair and pretty much a waste of energy to write or read.
My hope with this offensive line and running back corps is that we'll be able to bludgeon the other teams with a strong running game and take the pressure off of the passing game like Michigan has done the past two years; think the second half of the Rose Bowl. Without the running game, Michigan's passing attack would've been below average the last two seasons, but it made it better than it should've been.

If we can do this, then the passing game should get better progressively as the season progresses and possibly make this a dynamic offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
DREW ALLAR FILM STUDY

Good look at a potentially great QB. Can’t help but get excited after watching this as there is lots to like. Fantastic pocket presence for a freshman… even an experienced player. Great arm. Reads the field and has enough trust to throw the ball before the receivers make their breaks.

On the quick out to the top of the screen…..perhaps his footwork problems were Singleton’s fault. He may have impinged on Allar not giving him enough room to maneuver. And the end zone throw with happy feet….he was likey nervous knowing throwing from the end zone and thinking ’can’t take a sack. Can’t throw a pic six’ With experience he makes that throw easily.

I hope he spends some time this summer working on his speed. He could really break some long runs once the passing game gets clicking.

I ran into Allar’s HS coach a few weeks back. He was in Avon lake, a good HS program that sends most of their top kids to TOSU. he was in a gas station buying a soda and I noticed his Medina Bees jacket. Someone else said ‘hi coach, great season after that QB graduated and went to Penn State” he said thanks. I minute later I told him I was a huge PSU fan and just got back from the rose bowl. I said we were excited to see him play .” He said “he’sa great kid and will make the program proud”. I felt like he wasn’t engaging so left him alone. He paid and started to head for the door. He changed his path to walk by me, leaned in and whispered “We Are…”. He gave me a big smile so I answered, “Penn State!” Quietly.

I took that to mean he is a fan but deep in Buckeye land and a prominent coach he couldn’t tip his hand publicly.

Very few games are won with gimmick schemes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT