ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Yurcich's Rose Bowl Gameplan

Very difference actually, not that you care. Rising didn't leave late in the third, he left early in the third when we were tied and being played to a stand still. Clifford got hurt when Iowa had figured out the offense and was outplaying us in every way. See, facts matter. Oh, and Clifford's got hurt late in the 2nd.
Seeing as facts aren't your thing, here's a little help. Game wasn't tied and being played to a stand still. PSU was up 21-14 when he got hurt and it was almost halfway through the 3rd quarter. So once again, define early...

Screenshot-20230105-194558-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
ROSE BOWL FILM STUDY

See link and we appreciate the support all season. This game was vintage Yurcich, with early conservative concepts setting up explosive chunk plays later in the night. And he did against the best defense in the Pac-12, and without his best pass-catcher and behind an offensive line down 3 starters from week 1 (to me, this narrative has been sorely overlooked probably because of the pillow-fight final 4 games of the season.) Diaz was one of the best off-season hires from last year, but Yurcich took a big step forward this season, as well. Really feel the offense takes it to another level next season with a QB willing to challenge teams vertically.
This was excellent. Thank you for sharing the film study.

In fairness to coach Yurcich, he finally had consistently great QB execution by Clifford. This was Clifford’s best performance of his career. If the QB does not execute, it makes the OC look bad when the real problem was poor QB execution. Thank goodness Clifford had the game of his life.

I watch a ton of football and no coach plays their backup QB until the game is well in hand. Every new starting QB comes in untested, yet the good ones manage. The first job of any coach is to “win the one you’re in”.

That makes sense, and I don't think anyone suggested rotating them, but my concerns were twofd:

1) Sean got hurt a lot. Maybe from too many designed runs, or bad blocking, or holding onto the ball too long. Doesn't matter which, but we needed him to stay healthy and it was a concern seeing him playing in the 4th qtr of games in hand

2) Drew looks great. Made some big throws and ran maybe better than we thought. He showed flashes, but also handed off to Tank a lot too. Practice was really his game day- while Nick and Kaytron each did it in front of full stadiums in friendly and hostile environments. They are undoubtedly more prepared to take the next step to stardom. Drew has to start at GO in 2023.

Those were my concerns and frustrations with how this situation was handled. I never supported flipping between Clark/Devin or Sean/Tommy or Will. This year just felt different, especially after OSU for me.

We'll never know- but I hope he comes out strong vs WVU...god willing I'll be there : )

Reactions: RandyL
Very difference actually, not that you care. Rising didn't leave late in the third, he left early in the third when we were tied and being played to a stand still. Clifford got hurt when Iowa had figured out the offense and was outplaying us in every way. See, facts matter. Oh, and Clifford's got hurt late in the 2nd.

Someone else has called you out on your LIES but for FACTS sakes:

8:31 left 3q, Rising runs, gets hurt.
8:14 his backup throws a pass.
The score was 21-14. Not tied.

-

12:38 left 2q, Clifford throws incomplete, gers hurt on a blitz by Campbell.
12:34 Stout hits a FG. Penn State 17, Iowa 3.

I love how your definition of early and late changes merely to suit your agenda of LIES.

@Wallace Breen it was too much to expect that you would be gracious enough to acknowledge the obvious -- Penn State had a well earned Rose Bowl win and a very good season overall.

Your predictions and "expert" analysis for the game and the season were way off the mark.
His hate for Franklin makes him completely unreasonable….he is so blinded by it he doesn’t even realize he sounds like a complete moron….but he’ll keeping digging in.

Reactions: bison13 and royboy
I watch a ton of football and no coach plays their backup QB until the game is well in hand. Every new starting QB comes in untested, yet the good ones manage. The first job of any coach is to “win the one you’re in”.
Very true. Way back in the day it was common to play underclassmen QBs to prep them for next year or in case of injury to the starters. But that seems to have quit about 20-25 years ago……or about the time of 24-7 sports channels were birthed to second guess every move a coach makes.

If the #2 plays well for more than two series in a game the media geniuses and all the fan base starts screaming for him to start, especially if the starter has one bad half. Then the starter feels the pressure, players….especially receivers…..get asked who is better or who they prefer. Then the team gets divided. A real mess.

Seems that coaches have decided its better to avoid all that crap and risk having to play an inexperienced backup.

Reactions: bison13

-

I love how your definition of early and late changes merely to suit your agenda of LIES.
Get ready for the Pigeon Strut!

Very true. Way back in the day it was common to play underclassmen QBs to prep them for next year or in case of injury to the starters. But that seems to have quit about 20-25 years ago……or about the time of 24-7 sports channels were birthed to second guess every move a coach makes.

If the #2 plays well for more than two series in a game the media geniuses and all the fan base starts screaming for him to start, especially if the starter has one bad half. Then the starter feels the pressure, players….especially receivers…..get asked who is better or who they prefer. Then the team gets divided. A real mess.

Seems that coaches have decided its better to avoid all that crap and risk having to play an inexperienced backup.
Agreed….or #2 goes into the portal and grabs a meaty position with a competitor. Really have to play for today if you are a coach in 2022/3. Who knows what tomorrow brings

Reactions: bison13
Good points, all. But can we focus on a major problem for Franklin, which only arose with the Rose Bowl. I'm talking about, of course, the hat. What was the deal with that hat? It seemed to be gigantic, with a huge "S" - and he didn't work the brim in...it was totally flat, like a teenage skateboarder. Is he trying to look like an X-Games guy? Inexcusable.
After next season, if the only complaint we have is Franklin's hat, I'll be ecstatic!!!!

Allar could have gotten meaningful reps three out of the first four games and five of the last six. I will never understand how coaches expect the backup to perform if called upon without meaningful reps. Same with Gardner Minshew this year, he is a starting quarterback in the NFL but without meaningful reps during the season how was he expected to perform at a high level when Hurts was injured?
Seriously? Name me one NFL coach who plays his backup QB unless it’s an absolute blow out one way or another.

Yup. If we accept that PSU coaching has ebbed and flowed based on the assistants, my question then is, why Nick Saban, who probably has more turnover, doesn't seem to have those same ebbs and flows.
I believe Franklin lost more coaches than Nick did in that same time frame. Nick also took Gattis who had our wr'r going and is now OC at Miami, and Huff who is HC at Marshall.

PSU was boat racing Iowa when Clifford got hurt clown.

Because (1) your premise is nonsense and nobody accepted it and (2) college football is about jimmys and Joe’s, not Xs and Os.

In the past 7 years Franklin had top 10 finishes with 3 different OCs and 2 different DCs. But, yeah, cheerleader.
😂😂😂😂😂
(1) are you really suggesting there's been no difference in performance between coordinators?
(2) just an absurd statement. if Xs and Os don't matter, then joeMo has no value over RickyRahne. Boise state under Chris Petersen magically found 2/3 star rated kids who were really 4star quality kids, continuously for like a decade. Amazing recruiting in Boise. Scheme and game plan had nothing to do with it. If X/Os don't matter, than you must think the OP film study above is a bunch of nonsense, as it detailed the specific tactical X/Os moves of MY in the rose bowl. If X/Os don't matter, then why do coaches and players study film? Jimmy ain't getting faster in the film room.

Facts are supposed to be actual facts. Rising got hurt around the 8:30 mark of the 3rd period (not early) while Penn State was winning 21 - 14.

EDIT: I see others pointed this out.

If we're looking at Franklin's first seven years why not Paterno's?
5 top ten in Paterno's first 7 years.
7 top ten finishes in his first 10 years.
11 top ten in 15 years
14 top ten in 20 years
2 national championships in 20 years, could have been 3 more in 1968, 1969 & 1973 if it wasn't for eastern football bias.
How many crushing samctions did Joe deal with in his first 7 years?

This was excellent. Thank you for sharing the film study.

In fairness to coach Yurcich, he finally had consistently great QB execution by Clifford. This was Clifford’s best performance of his career. If the QB does not execute, it makes the OC look bad when the real problem was poor QB execution. Thank goodness Clifford had the game of his life.
I don't agree that this is the difference. In OSU and UM, you had defensive lines that could handle our running game and secondaries that could play man to man and shut down our wide receivers. While Utah did a good job versus our running game for the most part, they had to play zone and we were good enough to pick that apart.

How many swing passes/wr screens did we need to run against Utah? I think zero because we were able to open things up down field. That wasn't the case versus the big dogs in the Big Ten.

I don't agree that this is the difference. In OSU and UM, you had defensive lines that could handle our running game and secondaries that could play man to man and shut down our wide receivers. While Utah did a good job versus our running game for the most part, they had to play zone and we were good enough to pick that apart.

How many swing passes/wr screens did we need to run against Utah? I think zero because we were able to open things up down field. That wasn't the case versus the big dogs in the Big Ten.
Penn State with a number of good young players continued to improve; they were a better team by Rose Bowl time than they were vs Michigan and Ohio State.

The pieces are in place to compete more evenly vs the "big dogs".

We came out with a very conservative game plan vs Michigan. First drive, Singleton up the gut for 1, 8 yard pass to Washington, then Singleton into a 8 man front for -1. Second drive, Singleton for 3, Clifford for-2, offsides that we waste before an incomplete pass to KLS.

We were down 13-0 before Clifford broke off the big run and punched that drive in. Clifford was holding his passes too long and our play calling was just predictable. We were running Singleton up the middle or slow development outside plays when Allen was better suited for those plays.

And we couldn't force a punt. Bad combo. Utah did nothing of the sort like Michigan.

Reactions: blair10

-

Don’t forget one of Rising’s long TD passes was with PSU starting CB King in the locker room. If we’re paying what ifs, if Kings on the field we don’t give up that long TD pass.

Don’t forget one of Rising’s long TD passes was with PSU starting CB King in the locker room. If we’re paying what ifs, if Kings on the field we don’t give up that long TD pass.
This. Their offense was tough running, Rising scramble, Rising YOLO. Eventually we’d figure to spy him and another one of his YOLOs would get picked.

Gotta say… their RB #3 is a beast. Can’t believe the dude went to Texas as a QB.

-

Don’t engage the idiot.

Good points, all. But can we focus on a major problem for Franklin, which only arose with the Rose Bowl. I'm talking about, of course, the hat. What was the deal with that hat? It seemed to be gigantic, with a huge "S" - and he didn't work the brim in...it was totally flat, like a teenage skateboarder. Is he trying to look like an X-Games guy? Inexcusable.
The dude never wears hats unless it is raining. Clearly not an opportunity to make a fashion statement for him.

His one long pass was when the DB fell down….that’s not going to happen very often…I guess those in the biz would call that a fluke play.

The only difference was the results. Clifford was holding passes because no one was open. The announcers mentioned it multiple times.

I feel the same way. I have often refered to coach Franklin as a "cheerleader" in the past. I liked what I saw this year. I loved the way MY and MD answered the call. Credit to coach Franklin for bringing in those two excellent coordinators!!! Also, if i criticize coach Franklin I will also give him praise.... The guy can can just RECRUIT out of this world!!!!
one thing I haven't seen talked about was the offensive line in this game. We were without three starters and still were able to both run the ball and protect clifford. It was interesting to watch effner on both the Singleton TD.s. He got his man on the line and then moved to the second level with a second good block. The Oline really seemed to improve as the season wore on

Rising was not exactly tearing it up in the passing game before he was hurt. He completed less than 50% of his passes.

And it seems a certain someone is upset that Franklin is showing himself to be merely the second best coach Penn State has had.

I'm not convinced his routine isn't a put on.
It’s best to ignore trolls .I can work with different opinions , it’s like tomato tomawto. Is 10-2 good? Bad? There’s often little jumps in coaching decisions or talent that get you over the hill. But that guy is just wrong so often.

Reactions: OaktonDave
Franklin's teams have mostly performed in line or slightly above team talent composite. We had a couple of years below coinciding with the covid on and off again debacle. Other than that he has mostly finished a step or 2 ahead of what the team talent said that we should.
So you only judge James and the team's performance based on Recruiting rankings? There are programs frequently that rise above what they normally are ranked and the recruiting composite… Michigan does not recruit at a top 5 level and somehow they've kicked a** the last 2 years making the playoffs…. TCU is hardly a pulse in the recruiting world. It's OK to rise above where you currently sit. I'm not trying to be one of the snarky posters here but if you're only going to judge someone on what numbers say they should be at and never expect nor hope that they climb above that…. that's fine, I won't tell anybody what their expectation should be… but frankly we've had way more than enough talent to at least make the playoffs once in my opinion.

So you only judge James and the team's performance based on Recruiting rankings? There are programs frequently that rise above what they normally are ranked and the recruiting composite… Michigan does not recruit at a top 5 level and somehow they've kicked a** the last 2 years making the playoffs…. TCU is hardly a pulse in the recruiting world. It's OK to rise above where you currently sit. I'm not trying to be one of the snarky posters here but if you're only going to judge someone on what numbers say they should be at and never expect nor hope that they climb above that…. that's fine, I won't tell anybody what their expectation should be… but frankly we've had way more than enough talent to at least make the playoffs once in my opinion.
Teams that rise above the recruiting composites…you mean like Penn State this year. I’m still waiting on an answer from someone to the question of who’s better, a freshman four star or a 4th or 5th year three star? We lose a lot of guys early and we don’t have the depth to replace them.

Rising was not exactly tearing it up in the passing game before he was hurt. He completed less than 50% of his passes.

And it seems a certain someone is upset that Franklin is showing himself to be merely the second best coach Penn State has had.
Careful…. You’ll get Ripped by the Engle fans😉

Teams that rise above the recruiting composites…you mean like Penn State this year. I’m still waiting on an answer from someone to the question of who’s better, a freshman four star or a 4th or 5th year three star? We lose a lot of guys early and we don’t have the depth to replace them.
Recruiting composites aren't the be all-end all that they once were. Free agency has changed the equation. Look what MSU did last year by bringing in approximately 17 transfers.

Reactions: scrivener
I gave two examples...Michigan and TCU far and away blew past their recruiting composites. Again, this isn't an indictment post...and I'm not trying to firestart. But, OnlinePersona frequently conveys the tone of "we recruit at this level, and shouldn't expect anything more" which is ludicrous in my eyes. Every day in every sport across the country, there are teams that play or succeed above their "perceived" level. It's ridiculous IMO to not expect that from PSU or anyone of that caliber program...as we did this year, for the first time in years not losing to a team or team(s) that we had far superior talent.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT