ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Yurcich's Rose Bowl Gameplan

I gave two examples...Michigan and TCU far and away blew past their recruiting composites. Again, this isn't an indictment post...and I'm not trying to firestart. But, OnlinePersona frequently conveys the tone of "we recruit at this level, and shouldn't expect anything more" which is ludicrous in my eyes. Every day in every sport across the country, there are teams that play or succeed above their "perceived" level. It's ridiculous IMO to not expect that from PSU or anyone of that caliber program...as we did this year, for the first time in years not losing to a team or team(s) that we had far superior talent.
We put played our recruiting composites like 4 of the past 7 years.

Right...so what. I'm just saying it would be nice to make the playoffs as our level of ascension.
Yep, I’m sure every PSU fan would like to make the playoffs, but not making the playoffs doesn’t mean we didn’t exceed our recruiting composite.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
This was excellent. Thank you for sharing the film study.

In fairness to coach Yurcich, he finally had consistently great QB execution by Clifford. This was Clifford’s best performance of his career. If the QB does not execute, it makes the OC look bad when the real problem was poor QB execution. Thank goodness Clifford had the game of his life.
Yep. Just like drops on 3rd down, can't blame the OC for poor execution. Yurcich will look better as PSU continues to develop an even better Oline and can finally field 4 WR's that consistently catch the football. There will always be an occasional drip by a WR, but there were still quite a few too many this past season.

@Wallace Breen it was too much to expect that you would be gracious enough to acknowledge the obvious -- Penn State had a well earned Rose Bowl win and a very good season overall.

Your predictions and "expert" analysis for the game and the season were way off the mark.
Except for the fact that my analysis was fine. We greatly benefited from a very weak schedule during the season a major injury impact in the Rose Bowl. Nothing I said was wrong. Deal with it troll.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Except for the fact that my analysis was fine. We greatly benefited from a very weak schedule during the season a major injury impact in the Rose Bowl. Nothing I said was wrong. Deal with it troll.
Yeah, right. So your comments and predictions during the season correlate pretty well with a Penn State season that ended with a #7 national ranking?

By the way, no troll am I -- PSU Football fan for over 50 years, and been around this board since 2001.

We'll see if others agree that your "analysis was fine".

Last edited:
Yeah, right. So your comments and predictions during the season correlate pretty well with a Penn State season that ended with a #7 national ranking?

By the way, no troll am I -- PSU Football fan for over 50 years, and been around this board since 2001.

We'll see if others agree that your "analysis was fine".
Only issue I had was I over-rated the strength of schedule based on last year's results. If we played a schedule as hard, we likely four or five, but we didn't. We also lost to Michigan and Ohio State exactly as predicted. Not just on the scoreboard, but how and why we lost from an Xs and Ox stand point.

• Haha
. We also lost to Michigan and Ohio State exactly as predicted. Not just on the scoreboard, but how and why we lost from an Xs and Ox stand point.
PSU did not lose to OSU because of X's and O's. PSU lost to OSU because they had two elite athletes (JTT and Harrison Jr) play out of their minds. If OSU doesn't have one of those guy, PSU probably wins. Not a schematic issue at all.

The problem was that we were not competitive against Michigan and Ohio State blew us out and Utah lost their starting QB fairly early in the game. Diaz was very good, not great this season and Yurcich has much to prove.
Penn State played Ohio even, being ahead with 9 minutes in the 4th. Clifford crapped the bed at the very end. If that was a blowout, then Georgia blew out Ohio State in the CFP. Agree on Michigan. That one got away

Reactions: Obliviax
PSU did not lose to OSU because of X's and O's. PSU lost to OSU because they had two elite athletes (JTT and Harrison Jr) play out of their minds. If OSU doesn't have one of those guy, PSU probably wins. Not a schematic issue at all.
Bad news, both of those guys are back for OSU next season.

Wasn’t Clifford that rapped the bed. The O line totally sucked.
right. tOSU's left DE had the game of a lifetime against our RT. IIRC, we had an injury there. Kid had two INTs, one a pick six, a forced fumble and two sacks and three TFL.

Reactions: royboy
  • Sad
Yeah, they took over the game at a critical time.

JT Tuimoloau vs Georgia

0 Tackles
0 Sacks and 0 Tackles for Loss
Credited with 2 Passes Defended

Yes, this illustrates my point. He had a once in a lifetime game. He did not do anything close to that this season against much lesser competition than PSU. I don't want to say he got lucky (he's obviously a very good player) but the performance he had against PSU won't be repeated (probably against anyone).

And Dotson is going to be a bust in the NFL because he can’t beat man to man!
You are funny. I never said he was going to be a bust in the NFL. I did say that if he could get into the z or slot role where he would consistently see zone he would do well. Guess what?

Appears to be man coverage and Dotson is the last man on the LOS on the snap

Beats man coverage (not in the slot)

Definitely not in the slot on this one.

Peg another "bad take" in the board for Peggy Pigeon. Don't ya just love how he now claims he had caveats? When everybody here remembers his "Dotson isn't a #1 WR; he can't beat man coverage" schtik.

ADVERTISEMENT