ADVERTISEMENT

Final Dual

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
I know it's important to help smaller programs and especially smaller programs in PA but it's ridiculous to wrestle the Edinboros and Bucknells of the world. I think PSU needs a yearly dual finale against a decent program like Iowa has with Oklahoma State. What say you?

I know they have an out of conference date with Lehigh but lets get the guys a look at some top level competition outside the Big Ten! For me I'd like to see them have a yearly dual with either Cornell, NC State or Pitt. I know PItt isn't big now but having PSU on their schedule every year would help them bring in better recruits imo.

FYI, I still think they should wrestle a smaller program in the first two weeks.

Reactions: Ja1339 and 7Springs
I know it's important to help smaller programs and especially smaller programs in PA but it's ridiculous to wrestle the Edinboros and Bucknells of the world. I think PSU needs a yearly dual finale against a decent program like Iowa has with Oklahoma State. What say you?

I know they have an out of conference date with Lehigh but lets get the guys a look at some top level competition outside the Big Ten! For me I'd like to see them have a yearly dual with either Cornell, NC State or Pitt. I know PItt isn't big now but having PSU on their schedule every year would help them bring in better recruits imo.

FYI, I still think they should wrestle a smaller program in the first two weeks.

Iowa should consider doing some of the things we are doing, rather than the other way around.

This. Furthermore, it wasn't that long ago, small PA schools were not only in the top 20, but in the top 5. Bloomsburg comes to mind, coming in at number 3 in the country.
Wasn't that over 35 years ago, and back when they had the Bonomo's I thought they got 5th their senior year.

I don't think Bloomsburg did anything after that, or did I miss something.

Wasn't that over 35 years ago, and back when they had the Bonomo's I thought they got 5th their senior year.

I don't think Bloomsburg did anything after that, or did I miss something.
That's not a long time, and that's just one school. It was Ricky and Rocky Bonomo.

That's not a long time, and that's just one school. It was Ricky and Rocky Bonomo.
Typically 25+ years ago it wasn't uncommon for one or two NCAA champs to come from small PA schools. Haselrig (3),Bonomo(3), Cuvo (2) Angle(2) and Kolat(2) come to my mind. Go back further and I think Clarion had 3 in one year. I'm not including Lehigh.
Take notice of the common trait of above champs. They were all Pennsylvania State champs.🤔 Footnote :Bonomo had some input to Cael about taking the PSU job .

Last edited:
I'd go NC State/VA Tech and maybe on occasion UNC. Solid wrestling programs.
Agree with UNC match. It would be a win-win as Koll grows the program in the next couple years. Only push-back might be that the Koll-Sanderson relationship hasn't always been the best when Koll was at Cornell.

I guess "a long time" is dependent on how old you are. To me, it wasn't that long ago Edinboro was 3rd place at NCAAs.

I like that Penn State throws in a small PA school into the schedule. It's just a shame that Edinboro is on life support.

I like it that we give PA Schools a boost w/ these duals, but it sadly seems like 'boro may be a lost cause.... Hard to believe that was the same team that Mitchell Port competed for.

As a fan, I'd LOVE to see us have another top perennial extra-conference rival--but I get why we don't, and am willing to accept it. I still personally favor making Lehigh every other year or so, so we could add another good opponent early in the season from time to time.

By my count, we only had 14 competition dates this year. I like the idea of a Pennsylvania dual tournament with various PA schools. It doesn't have to be at Penn State, but can rotate among various sites. At the very least it should include Penn State, Pitt, Penn and Lehigh. Four other rotating schools could round out the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT