ADVERTISEMENT

Finally got a chance to try out my Springfield Armory Hellcat

TN Lion

Sep 6, 2001
First of all, I have the version that does not have the reflex sight mounted. Chose not to get that version nor will I add as it just adds additional height to the pistol. I went out to my pal's outdoor range, an hour drive out of Nashville on a parcel he owns that is 500 plus acres in Perry County that we use for practice and he uses to hunt turkey and deer.

My expectation was that the Hellcat would kick quite a bit due to being smallish/lighter weight and micro 9mm categorized. To my somewhat surprise the recoil was not bad at all and allowed me to relatively easy stay on target. Target was a hanging 15 inch steel plate at 75 feet. My first set of 11 rounds hit the target 8 times out of 11 shots. My pace was at about a second apart. The gun stayed very secure in my hands throughout. My next magazine produced one additional hit.. My third go at it was at a more rapid pace and hit on 7 out of 11. Used 115 grain American Eagle but not that ammo matters when going after a sizable target. The large white rear and forward sights make it super easy to acquire the target and then to re-acquire that target.

Terrific little gun that I am sure will see a ton of use at the range. So much fun to shoot. I'll improve my percentages over time but can't imagine ever using the gun defensively at that distance. We had our guns organized in the back of my SUV and right next to the picnic bench used for sighting in or shooting from sitting position and did not choose to move closer to the target. Figure I will be hitting the target center mass easily at thirty feet every time and will work on my pace the next time. Also at the end of the shoot, popped the .357 barrel on my Thompson Contender and really made that target dance. I went through about 10 percent of my 9mm as my pal did not bring enough, we both not expecting to stay for much more than an hour. Ended up shooting for almost three hours. Stopped at the local indoor gun range to pick up some iron sights for my KSG and found a box of 9mm on sale for $659 for 1000 rounds. Very expensive compared to most of my stock at home that was bought for $0.20 or less per rournd. Got the last box and was told that they had no more coming in for at least a week or more.

Lastly, cleaning the gun is a snap and it comes apart in a snap. I am going to want to order a threaded barrel. If anyone has an online source to direct me to, would be greatly appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News