ADVERTISEMENT

Where is your fitness compared to earlier stages of life?

I'm approaching 50 and have so far used 2024 as a serious reassessment of my fitness (goals, methods, commitment, diet, etc.). There are many components of fitness (cardiovascular, muscular endurance, muscular strength, power and explosiveness, mental fitness and wellness, etc.) although many oversimplify to weight (or BMI) and general health (blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc., disease or lack of disease, and injuries).

Anyway, I'm down about 20 lbs since the start of 2024, leaner, and stronger in most every exercise in my routine (which has expanded) with definite improvements in cardiovascular capacity. I've hit some recent goals like being able to do 20 pullups in a continuous set. Most sets are done now with 50lbs hooked to me and I'm going up there as well. Seated row over 300lbs. Shoulder pressing 80lb dumbbells.

Squatting and deadlifting over 400lbs (back to 500lbs is the goal there). I'm back to box jumping at 40 inches. I've added other explosive power exercises like single arm snatches, and I've thrown in a lot of new exercises to my leg routine that are great for balance and strength like Bulgarian split squats, lateral and reverse lunges, single leg deadlifts, dumbbell step ups and dumbbell box jumps. My bench press is a little weak at 275 lbs from a prior shoulder injury that has stuck with me and dumbbell presses with 110lb dumbbells.

I'll do anywhere from a half hour to an hour of cardio every morning before breakfast. Usually combo of rower and biking, sometimes a run. I'll do usually about an hour lift at some point every day. I rotate through leg day, chest/triceps day, back/biceps day, shoulder day, alternate leg day (just different exercises), and either a rest day or more focused ab/core day. The wife and I like to take the dogs for a 2 to 3 mile walk in the evening if it's nice enough outside. Occasionally I'll run with her but she still does marathons and I'm not a long distance runner. So I might hang with her for a few miles but then I'm done.

I eat a pretty big breakfast usually a couple of eggs, English muffins, a half a bagel, and juice. A lot of times lunch is a little bit of a lot of things, but I usually get fruit, some protein, often a yogurt, hummus, etc. Dinner is whatever the wife makes which often is healthier than I would eat on my own. I usually don't eat anything from 6 pm to maybe 8 am, so a very mild form of intermittent fasting.

My downfall on diet is that I snack a lot during the day. That used to be worse, and it was more candy than I eat now. My sweet tooth was always my downfall and I've cut way back on that. When I was younger, I used to have the philosophy of working out really hard and I could eat anything in any quantity. My 40s proved to me that this no longer works. So less really bad stuff for me is one change I've made that probably has had the biggest impact I would guess on weight.

Comparing to earlier in life, I'm definitely not in peak shape but am getting a little closer. I was a pretty good athlete back in my day. I still consider myself one but I could never compete at the level I used to today. My strength to my weight ratio is not what it once was. It's getting much better than it was in most of my 40s. But I'm about 20 lbs above my college weight and I was just as if not stronger for most exercises than I am now. My endurance is no where near what it was then either. But on the positive side, I think that I am closing out my 40s as fit or more fit than the start of my 40s. I probably peaked physically in my mid to maybe late 20s.

So what about others here? Where are you fitness-wise relative to earlier stages of life? What have you found that works or doesn't work for you as you've matured? Anyone else making changes and/or seeing results?
Of those components you mentioned I'd focus a lot on muscular endurance. In my mid-50's I was very active and was pushing myself playing a lot of tennis. Unfortunately pushing that much led to knee injuries and now (at 58) I'd be lucky to hit for 30 min. Core, hip and glute endurance are key and not doing deep lunges for your knees. Listen to your body and don't expect you'll be at the same active level all your life.

Of those components you mentioned I'd focus a lot on muscular endurance. In my mid-50's I was very active and was pushing myself playing a lot of tennis. Unfortunately pushing that much led to knee injuries and now (at 58) I'd be lucky to hit for 30 min. Core, hip and glute endurance are key and not doing deep lunges for your knees. Listen to your body and don't expect you'll be at the same active level all your life.
I think that's the hardest part, knowing how and when to modify your approach. It's just so easy to want to try to do things as if you were still a 20-year-old kid when of course I need to do things a little smarter and ditch the pride. Plus, I have to allow myself more rest days sometimes.

You mention the focus on muscular endurance, and I think that may be the way to go as I age. I incorporate that now in my routine to sort of close out each exercise.

My lifts generally start with a warmup set or so (I'm still somewhat warm from the pre-breakfast cardio) and then jump right up to the highest weight that I'm working (although I build up more gradually with heavy squat and deadlift). I like to work muscular strength and power while I have the most in the tank. Then after hitting the highest working weight for each exercise, I like to work higher reps for more sets for muscular endurance.

Another strategy for each workout is starting with compound exercises (movement at multiple joints- squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, single arm snatch, weighted pull ups, seated or weighted inverted row, etc.) before moving on to isolation exercises (movement at only one joint such as leg extension, leg curl, single leg weighted calf raises, triceps extension, biceps curl, back hyperextension, shrugs, front and lateral raises, etc.). Compound exercises are more complex movements that generally can be worked at higher weights than isolation movements.

You also mentioned about pushing that lead to knee injuries. That's what I worry about for my wife still doing marathons. She's in fantastic shape (same weight as HS) but she already complains about her knees some and she takes it easier on downhills to reduce the impact. But I just think running marathons and even halfs are grueling. Over many years, they can really do a job on joints and there are even studies too much running at those longer distances can lead to heart issues. But she loves it and hasn't so far cut back too much on distance, maybe just fewer marathons and more halfs.

Last edited:
Reactions: RochLion
My lifts generally start with a warmup set or so (I'm still somewhat warm from the pre-breakfast cardio) and then jump right up to the highest weight that I'm working (although I build up more gradually with heavy squat and deadlift). I like to work muscular strength and power while I have the most in the tank. Then after hitting the highest working weight for each exercise, I like to work higher reps for more sets for muscular endurance.

I like to alternate heavy, low reps days (usually my 1st day coming off rest and focusing on the high end strength) with high rep, lower weight days (2nd day hitting that part of the week). Just to illustrate:

Sunday - heavy chest / Triceps
Monday - back / bicep
Tuesday - legs / shoulders
Wednesday - rest day
Thursday - rep chest / bicep / Triceps
Friday - back / shoulders
Saturday - legs or rest day

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I like to alternate heavy, low reps days (usually my 1st day coming off rest and focusing on the high end strength) with high rep, lower weight days (2nd day hitting that part of the week). Just to illustrate:

Sunday - heavy chest / Triceps
Monday - back / bicep
Tuesday - legs / shoulders
Wednesday - rest day
Thursday - rep chest / bicep / Triceps
Friday - back / shoulders
Saturday - legs or rest day
That's a nice routine and I've used the strategy of heavy day followed by light day for that body part next round. I'll switch back to it on occasion for a few months at a time.

I wouldn't be able to pull off legs and shoulders on the same day though. Legs takes everything out of me. It has to be its own day for me.

Reactions: lazydave841
At 73 my body can't keep up with my head on the ski slope. Fitness comes much harder and disappears way faster. Had surgery right before the season and it prevented me from doing much of anything for a few weeks. A summers effort down the drain. My doctors official diagnosis was "Gettin old sucks". Truer words were never spoken.

At 73 my body can't keep up with my head on the ski slope. Fitness comes much harder and disappears way faster. Had surgery right before the season and it prevented me from doing much of anything for a few weeks. A summers effort down the drain. My doctors official diagnosis was "Gettin old sucks". Truer words were never spoken.
At 73, simply being on the ski slope is pretty amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT