ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Four-Star LB DJ McClary flips from Penn State to Rutgers

You're probably more knowledgeable about the court decision than me but my understanding was they said schools couldn't prevent student athletes from earning money on the side just like any other student. Is that correct?

That said, most of these kids aren't technically earning money at a physical job or even as a social influencer. They're just getting money handed to them without having to do much in exchange.
the first sentence has a link to the cases and the rulings. Here it is again for your convenience. Here are the highlights:

National Collegiate Athletic Association v. Alston, 594 U.S. ___ (2021), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case concerning the compensation of collegiate athletes within the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). It followed from a previous case, O'Bannon v. NCAA, in which it was found that the NCAA was profiting from the namesake and likenesses of college athletes. The case dealt with the NCAA's restrictions on providing college athletes with non-cash compensation for academic-related purposes, such as computers and internships, which the NCAA maintained was to prevent the appearance that the student athletes were being paid to play or treated as professional athletes. Lower courts had ruled that these restrictions were in violation of antitrust law, which the Supreme Court affirmed in a unanimous ruling in June 2021.
The Supreme Court issued its decision on June 21, 2021. The decision was unanimous, affirming the Ninth Circuit's ruling, with Justice Neil Gorsuch writing the opinion.[11] Gorsuch wrote that the lower courts' decision is consistent with established antitrust principles, and thus the Court upheld the ruling, but did not attempt to make any judgment on the aspect related to whether student athletes should receive further pay as this was beyond the remit of the court.[12] Gorsuch acknowledged that "some will see this as a poor substitute for fuller relief" in addressing the apparent discrepancy of compensation between student athletes and the coaches and administrators of the NCAA.[13]

Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote a concurring opinion, stating that antitrust laws "should not be a cover for exploitation of the student athletes."[14] Kavanaugh's opinion also spoke to other NCAA regulations that he believed "also raise serious questions under the antitrust laws" and would be struck down if challenged under the same legal principles used by the lower courts in Alston.[

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
You're probably more knowledgeable about the court decision than me but my understanding was they said schools couldn't prevent student athletes from earning money on the side just like any other student. Is that correct?

That said, most of these kids aren't technically earning money at a physical job or even as a social influencer. They're just getting money handed to them without having to do much in exchange.
Apparently you have no knowledge of the schedules these players have not the hours they put in to hone their product.

Understood. But clearly they upheld lower court and clearly this had nothing to do with Progressivism. It was about money and that is big money and a form of indentured servitude that has not been seen in the U.S. for @200 years. In fact Name, License, Image is clearly equatable to Money, Money and Money or Marketable assets and who owns those assets. To call this I'm some form of progressive movement is clearly laughable.
The back payment of stolen player property rights also is grounded in common law. They, the players own their name, their rights to the value of their image or brand as they work to build that image/brand like anybody else does within the development of their professional pursuits. The NCAA, the Conferences, Universities absconded the profit of their professional efforts. There were no suffragettes marching and carrying signs in the streets nor Progressives spouting the players cause to the courts. It was business lawyers and agents.
OK, I get why you said it and why you pushed back. Here is your quote, "Bwhahahaha.... It was this donkey dick conservative Supreme Court that anointed NIL as the order of the day. Money rules pal get over it." I was simply stating that it had nothing to do with "donkey dick conservative" but was unanimous and also upheld every other lower court ruling (conservative or progressive).

If someone called it a "progressive movement", they were clearly wrong and you are correct. It was a slam-dunk correcting the notion that universities owned the player's NIL during their college careers without paying them for it.

Reactions: bison13
Apparently you have no knowledge of the schedules these players have not the hours they put in to hone their product.
Agreed. I'd also add that this was simply NIL and not a direct payment for services rendered. The ruling was that schools didn't own the player's name, image, and likeness and the kids could make money on their own for these products/services. I think, where we are going, is that schools can make ownership of NIL (complete or shared) when they directly compensate a kid. In other words, the schools could keep the value of a kid's NIL as part of their player contract. My bet is that this will all be part of a national collective bargaining agreement some day. The vast majority of kids won't want to be in the Biz of marketing their NIL so they'd be better off taking the up-front and letting their schools do the marketing.

I agree about the statue. I went to school in the ‘90s while Joe was obviously head coach and I really do not care if a Paterno statue is erected or not. It doesn’t change my feelings about PSU. And Joe, the guy who didn’t believe in names on jerseys, would not want a statue anyway. The whole controversy about a statue is nonsense in my opinion.
Yeah, hating how it was handled is 100% fine
And, yes, we're aligned. Joe wouldn't want a statue.

I agree about the statue. I went to school in the ‘90s while Joe was obviously head coach and I really do not care if a Paterno statue is erected or not. It doesn’t change my feelings about PSU. And Joe, the guy who didn’t believe in names on jerseys, would not want a statue anyway. The whole controversy about a statue is nonsense in my opinion.
The people who are offended and up in arms regarding Joe are most likely my age or older and will be joining Joe sooner than later.

Agreed. I'd also add that this was simply NIL and not a direct payment for services rendered. The ruling was that schools didn't own the player's name, image, and likeness and the kids could make money on their own for these products/services. I think, where we are going, is that schools can make ownership of NIL (complete or shared) when they directly compensate a kid. In other words, the schools could keep the value of a kid's NIL as part of their player contract. My bet is that this will all be part of a national collective bargaining agreement some day. The vast majority of kids won't want to be in the Biz of marketing their NIL so they'd be better off taking the up-front and letting their schools do the marketing.
Agree. Most have too much on their plate already. Plus, many personalities do not take to marketing very well. Every introvert would likely love to have the school handle his NIL. Unfortunately, we are in the Wild West period before this settles down. Just hope things will move along quickly but I doubt they will.

Weren't there always kids that "forgot about the education"? They still have to be eligible to play. It's their choice on what they do with that opportunity for an education.
Yes there were. My problem is the system has been changed too drastically and there will be a much greater increase in negative outcomes.

Yes there were. My problem is the system has been changed too drastically and there will be a much greater increase in negative outcomes.
I blame the player and their family/friends for that not the system. They're being given an opportunity to get an education, an opportunity to be developed for the NFL, and to be paid well while being given those opportunities.

See Liv Dunne for example--she's making the most of her opportunity and setting herself up for life. Not that he had to worry about money but I'm sure Arch Manning is doing the same. As is Bronny James. They're being given the opportunity to set up themselves up long term. If they don't then they deserve what they get.

Joe wouldn't care about a statue or his name on a field. He wouldn't want anyone feeling sorry for him.

He was shopping around as soon as Manny left. I also read he did not test that well or look that great at camp.

Kid wasn't well received when we got him (think he was a 3* then) and then got bumped. Hate to lose anyone that the staff wants, but I'd rather he go to Rutgers than anybody like OSU or Michigan.

When a schools BOT falsely blames its own alumni and revered coach for a “culture” that enabled a pedo it shouls come as no surprise when they have trouble filling their NIL coffers. I used to be very engaged and donated money but after the above happened they can all get fuucked. Step one is to admit they were wrong, honor Joe, apologize to the alumni, and then alumni engagement and NIL will slowly start picking back up.

Why are you here? History wont change.

Maybe you should find a new program to support.

Kid wasn't well received when we got him (think he was a 3* then) and then got bumped. Hate to lose anyone that the staff wants, but I'd rather he go to Rutgers than anybody like OSU or Michigan.

If he goes to Rutgers isn't that a red flag? It is not like Georgia, OSU, Bama or Clemson were on him.

Same with Matthews. There is even a thread on the RU board questioning if Matthews was a take. His stock was dropping.

He was shopping around as soon as Manny left. I also read he did not test that well or look that great at camp.
Our other 4 star still in the fold, Burnett, is a 4 star 89.5 rating (#38 LB. 363 nationally). McClary is a 92 5 rating (#25 LB, 202 nationally) via 247 composite. Not a huge difference. I think Tatsch is underrated (didn't play in Philly area so a bit under the radar). It would be nice to pick up another LB, we probably will. Could be Lavar Jr out of Southern California.

Speaking of Michigan, I see several CB's from TOS for PA TE Olesh that show them as the favorite after his visit this past weekend.

I know that it's off topic, but I thought that I would throw it in this thread.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yep. They were never PSU fans. They were Paterno fans and wont be happy until Joes corpse is propped up on the sidelines like Weekend at Bernies.
You're not wrong. Part of the problem at Bama was they wanted everyone to be Bear for the longest time. It's why O'Brien is hated for doing nothing wrong.

Why are you here? History wont change.

Maybe you should find a new program to support.
The "history" our BOT and the msm pushed out to the masses is flat out wrong. This is about righting a wrong and setting the record straight (history isn't set in stone, new facts come to light/history is re-written all the time you dolt). I didn't say I stopped watching PSU fb, I said I stopped giving the school $$$, etc. after the BOT tried to blame its own alumni for the actions of a single person. God knows what kinds of skeletons they had in their closet to do such a dumbass move.

Honoring Paterno is righting a wrong, nothing more.

Anyone that doesn't recognize that is either a troll, or a really stupid person.
I agree that Joe was treated poorly by the press and the university, but I don’t follow how it is affecting recruiting. Not so sure any of these kids are making their decision based on how Joe was mistreated.

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK
If he goes to Rutgers isn't that a red flag? It is not like Georgia, OSU, Bama or Clemson were on him.

Same with Matthews. There is even a thread on the RU board questioning if Matthews was a take. His stock was dropping.

I don’t know. Is it? What did they offer? More NIL? Early PT? Who do we go after now? Does he stay there? He might be a portal kid in a year or 2.

Matthews leaving when he did, I expected him to be UGA bound, but it never came to be.

The "history" our BOT and the msm pushed out to the masses is flat out wrong. This is about righting a wrong and setting the record straight (history isn't set in stone, new facts come to light/history is re-written all the time you dolt). I didn't say I stopped watching PSU fb, I said I stopped giving the school $$$, etc. after the BOT tried to blame its own alumni for the actions of a single person. God knows what kinds of skeletons they had in their closet to do such a dumbass move.

The BOT or the MSM? If there was no BOT do you think the message would have been different? Why don't you set the record straight?

The BOT or the MSM? If there was no BOT do you think the message would have been different? Why don't you set the record straight?
Why do you ask such dumb questions? Or do you just like trolling?

The BOT could have done nothing (or ceased to exist) and it would have been better than what they did (hire a corrupt ex fbi director to essentially shoot their institution in the face). Our BOT should’ve told the NCAA to fuuck off, these alleged crimes had nothing to do with a Penn State employee or Penn State student athletes and both 1998 and 2001 were reported OUTSIDE of PSU to child care experts/mandatory reporters who were trained in how to handle alleged inappropriate contact with kids.

Look at how MSU responded to the Nassar case (a case where an active employee was abusing actual students and the admin tried to sweep it under the rug and play dumb). If any program should have been hammered by the NCAA it was them but that never happened bc their BOT didn’t decide to commit suicide in the court of public opinion.

Rutgers keeps going they will pass Psu
You're not wrong. Part of the problem at Bama was they wanted everyone to be Bear for the longest time. It's why O'Brien is hated for doing nothing wrong.
Paterno built Penn State football and put the university on the map. If you disagree then you are clueless.

With that said, he has been dead for 12 and a half years and we don't need a statue or a field named after him to recognize how great he was.

I would love for Franklin to start approaching some of Joe's accomplishments like winning a natty or simply the team playing gritty tough football in the clutch. Have not seen that yet.

Why do you ask such dumb questions? Or do you just like trolling?

The BOT could have done nothing (or ceased to exist) and it would have been better than what they did (hire a corrupt ex fbi director to essentially shoot their institution in the face). Our BOT should’ve told the NCAA to fuuck off, these alleged crimes had nothing to do with a Penn State employee or Penn State student athletes and both 1998 and 2001 were reported OUTSIDE of PSU to child care experts/mandatory reporters who were trained in how to handle alleged inappropriate contact with kids.

Look at how MSU responded to the Nassar case (a case where an active employee was abusing actual students and the admin tried to sweep it under the rug and play dumb). If any program should have been hammered by the NCAA it was them but that never happened bc their BOT didn’t decide to commit suicide in the court of public opinion.

Msu learned from psu. If psu had to do it again thy would do it different too. You were expecting the NCAA to slap psu on the wrist based on what the BOT did. If msu, OSU, or um were caught first then psu would have had hindsight. Maybe joe should have cut ties to Sandusky.

You did not account for the MSM. If the bot did nothing did you think the MSM would suddenly support psu??? Maybe you also thought Pitt fans would suddenly support joe

Last edited:
Paterno built Penn State football and put the university on the map. If you disagree then you are clueless.

With that said, he has been dead for 12 and a half years and we don't need a statue or a field named after him to recognize how great he was.

I would love for Franklin to start approaching some of Joe's accomplishments like winning a natty or simply the team playing gritty tough football in the clutch. Have not seen that yet.
Paterno did build the program. That era is over. It's time to move on. People are crying over a statue he wouldn't have cared about. Franklin does need to elevate this program back to where it was in Joe's prime or its soon going to be time to find a coach who can.

Paterno did build the program. That era is over. It's time to move on. People are crying over a statue he wouldn't have cared about. Franklin does need to elevate this program back to where it was in Joe's prime or its soon going to be time to find a coach who can.
FFS People aren’t crying over the statue. They are upset that the school has yet to set the record straight that Joe and PSU football/alumni had nothing to do with enabling JS. That’s it. If they do the right thing the money will eventually start flowing in from alumni that feel disaffected etc by the BOT painting them as pedo enablers.

To be fair, I don't follow recruiting much. But I noticed that most of the analytists have Rutgers rated very highly for their 2025 recruiting cycle. 247 has them 11, with us 9. On3 has us 13 and Rutgers 16. Rivals has us 5 and Rutgers 9. Rutgers is having one of the best classes in their history so far and if everyone signs.
It’s way early. The big super stars wait to be on ESPN and all of a sudden our top ten drops to fifteen.

Seen it way too many times….🤷🏻‍♀️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT