ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin do what Franklin do

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
That is, he plays into his strength: sales. When it comes to recruiting I expect nothing less. Nonetheless, there was a good deal of chest-thumping on the board over the weekend. Whether or not he can build upon last year's success remains to be seen. All I can say is it takes a great deal of courage to fire your buddies and get on with the business of hiring and utilizing competent assistants. Perhaps Sandy set the example here! I don't know. Anyway, the jury is still out.
I thank you.

I'll translate for Cosmos.

Cosmos is saying he was COMPLETELY and TOTALLY wrong about Franklin. Not only is he an elite recruiter, but he is winning on the field much sooner than many anticipated. Cosmos wants the get out of jail free card so if Franking isn't undefeated this year or next, he'll be out banging his drum that Franklin isn't Saban. Anyone excited by what Frankin has done needs to calm down according to him as being enthusiastic about PSU football again is a sin.

You're Welcome Cosmos.

Cosmos is saying he was COMPLETELY and TOTALLY wrong about Franklin. Not only is he an elite recruiter, but he is winning on the field much sooner than many anticipated. Cosmos wants the get out of jail free card so if Franking isn't undefeated this year or next, he'll be out banging his drum that Franklin isn't Saban. Anyone excited by what Frankin has done needs to calm down according to him as being enthusiastic about PSU football again is a sin.

You're Welcome Cosmos.

I apologized on this board last Fall. But, lets be candid about a few things:

1) Prior to Penn State, Franklin stayed at his jobs an average of 1.9 years. On top of that, he LIED about staying at Vanderbilt. So, when PSU turned down Munchak (a true professional) for Franklin, that to me, was insane.

2) After the Pitt and Meeechigan game last year, this board was alive with vile venom spewed toward Franklin. The Ohio State win shut everyone up. Then, winning the B1G certainly changed things.

I think if Franklin goes 11-1 this season, no one anymore is going to "doubt" Franklin.

Reactions: ftlpsu
JrEUZ9.gif

That is, he plays into his strength: sales. When it comes to recruiting I expect nothing less. Nonetheless, there was a good deal of chest-thumping on the board over the weekend. Whether or not he can build upon last year's success remains to be seen. All I can say is it takes a great deal of courage to fire your buddies and get on with the business of hiring and utilizing competent assistants. Perhaps Sandy set the example here! I don't know. Anyway, the jury is still out.
I thank you.

Ass.

Reactions: m48tank
I thank you.

55772321.jpg

Actually, Franklin's strength is in leadership, decision making, delegation, systems management, coaching, development, and recruiting also. In todays' game, you cannot win at the highest level, without excelling in every major phase of the job. Franklin has demonstrated excellence in each phase, along the way. He now has recruited a fully formed roster in just 4 years, will field a competititve Big Ten offensive line for the first time since Paterno was in his latest years, will be two deep at every position on the field, for the first time also since Paterno, and on and on. Not clear what the original poster was getting at, but the statistics and numbers here, as well as the optics, suggest there is no "jury still out". Actually the verdict is in, and has been in for quite some time.

1) Prior to Penn State, Franklin stayed at his jobs an average of 1.9 years. On top of that, he LIED about staying at Vanderbilt. So, when PSU turned down Munchak (a true professional) for Franklin, that to me, was insane.

2) After the Pitt and Meeechigan game last year, this board was alive with vile venom spewed toward Franklin. The Ohio State win shut everyone up. Then, winning the B1G certainly changed things.

I think if Franklin goes 11-1 this season, no one anymore is going to "doubt" Franklin.
Munchak is now unquestionably in a job that he is the perfect fit, the same as James Franklin.

There was a good number of Franklin supporters on this board that were questioned continuously about our belief that the "car salesman" could lead PSU.

Franklin is good enough at the Xs and Os, good enough at game management, but lights out in getting and motivating players and in building a brand for a school.

Shoop leaves and Pry gets elevated, Donavan gets let go and James brings in Moorhead a coach not on everybody's radar to improve the offense.

Special teams have been excellent. To find better in PSU you have to go to the late 80s or early 90s.

The post that if James goes 11-1 that no one will doubt him is ridiculous, anyone doubting that he was the right hire after last year with kids who have been so classy and fun to watch, with the back to back recruiting is a complete pessimist who is looking for signs of weakness.

We are fortunate to have CJF embrace it.

It will be okay.

Last edited:
I thank you.

Clown. Drunk again? Another imaginary friend die?

Franklin is a salesman in the best sense of the word -- and that is what Penn State needed more than anything. They needed someone who could go out and pursuade young men that PSU was on the upswing years before it was really evident.

But as BisbeeMike notes, salesmanship is just one of a dozen qualities that makes Franklin an effective coach. He obviously has administrative skills. He has great communication skills. He has great motivational skills. And underlying all of it is remarkable physical stamina -- he is a tremendous tireless worker who can get by on 4 hours of sleep, someone who is just relentlessly committed to what he is building. He is all in and the coaches and players around him are all in too. And that is leadership.

But as good as he is, he's learning and getting better. People have to allow for the fact that Franklin is still a relatively young coach who is still rapidly learning as he goes.

And this year will be a learning experience for him just like the last three. He's never entered September with a top 10 team. Coaching at that level is a new thing.

But I think it's safe to expect he will pass this test just like he's passed all the others. He's going to succeed because he is super smart and works as hard as anybody in the business.

Munchak is now unquestionably in a job that he is the perfect fit, the same as James Franklin.

There was a good number of Franklin supporters on this board that were questioned continuously about our belief that the "car salesman" could lead PSU.

Franklin is good enough at the Xs and Os, good enough at game management, but lights out in getting and motivating players and in building a brand for a school.

Shoop leaves and Pry gets elevated, Donavan gets let go and James brings in Moorehead a coach not on everybody's radar to improve the offense.

Special teams have been excellent. To find better in PSU you have to go to the late 80s or early 90s.

The post that if James goes 11-1 that no one will doubt him is ridiculous, anyone doubting that he was the right hire after last year with kids who have been so classy and fun to watch, with the back to back recruiting is a complete pessimist who is looking for signs of weakness.

We are fortunate to have CJF embrace it.

It will be okay.

"The post that if James goes 11-1 that no one will doubt him is ridiculous." Really? What are you going to say if Franklin LOSES to Meeechigan, Ohio State, Northwestern, Michigan State and the Bowl game?

None of those games are "gimmies", btw. Lady luck is funny. Sometimes she loves you; sometimes she loathes you. That's why it's called "lady" luck.

Phil Steele places a strong emphasis in turnovers from one year to the next. If you think ALL the bounces are going to go Penn State's way this year, you're nuts! It could be Northwestern that blocks a FG attempt to win the game. Ask FSU about that.

"The post that if James goes 11-1 that no one will doubt him is ridiculous." Really? What are you going to say if Franklin LOSES to Meeechigan, Ohio State, Northwestern, Michigan State and the Bowl game?

None of those games are "gimmies", btw. Lady luck is funny. Sometimes she loves you; sometimes she loathes you. That's why it's called "lady" luck.

Phil Steele places a strong emphasis in turnovers from one year to the next. If you think ALL the bounces are going to go Penn State's way this year, you're nuts! It could be Northwestern that blocks a FG attempt to win the game. Ask FSU about that.

Using your logic if PSU loses to OSU and Iowa then we should question James As the coach???

Setting the line at 1 or 0 loses for this year is a a difficult standard. Some years you get breaks 86, some years you don't.

Last year PSU got somewhat fortunate against Minn., tOSU and somewhat unlucky versus Pitt.

Again we are lucky to have Franklin cannot think of another coach outside of Saban to better revive the program.

Reactions: m48tank

Imagine if OSU gets safety on a snap over the punters head and also recovers a muffed punt against us in the same game. We would never win then....

Whereas he didn't before, Franklin now has the Jimmy's & Joe's. The program is now completely his, as are all future successes and failures.

Imagine if OSU gets safety on a snap over the punters head and also recovers a muffed punt against us in the same game. We would never win then....
True, but they also recovered how many of their own fumbles? It takes some breaks against good teams.

Using your logic if PSU loses to OSU and Iowa then we should question James As the coach???

Setting the line at 1 or 0 loses for this year is a a difficult standard. Some years you get breaks 86, some years you don't.

Last year PSU got somewhat fortunate against Minn., tOSU and somewhat unlucky versus Pitt.

Again we are lucky to have Franklin cannot think of another coach outside of Saban to better revive the program.

"Using your logic if PSU loses to OSU and Iowa then we should question James As the coach???"

He loses BOTH OF those games, yes.

"Again we are lucky to have Franklin cannot think of another coach outside of Saban to better revive the program."

AL Golden, Jay Paterno, Mike Munchak, Tom Bradley, Matt Ruhle, Les Miles, Larry Johnson, Sr, and that HC of Ohio State (what's his name) and on and on we go.

Just curious, Professor Potatohead, how many of the aforementioned names were even a possibility? Here, I'll answer it for you: ZERO!!!!

Here is the Wikipedia article on Nick Saban. PAY ATTENTION to his resume, which you will find if you scroll down.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Saban

"Using your logic if PSU loses to OSU and Iowa then we should question James As the coach???"

"Again we are lucky to have Franklin cannot think of another coach outside of Saban to better revive the program."

AL Golden, Jay Paterno, Mike Munchak, Tom Bradley, Matt Ruhle, Les Miles, Larry Johnson, Sr, and that HC of Ohio State (what's his name) and on and on we go.

Just curious, Professor Potatohead, how many of the aforementioned names were even a possibility? Here, I'll answer it for you: ZERO!!!!

You are high if u think that we would be better today with Golden, Jay, Munchak, Bradley or Johnson SR.

Meyer, Saban, etc.... have done it and could do it at PSU, do not think that they were available.

We are having a discussion about whether the super model that we are with is Hot Enough.

You're fooling yourself if you honestly believe that some those coaches would have both achieved what Franklin has achieved in three seasons and the outlook of the program in the seasons to come. Al Golden, Jay Paterno, and Mike Munchak? What fantasy planet is a post like this transmitted from?

You're fooling yourself if you honestly believe that some those coaches would have both achieved what Franklin has achieved in three seasons and the outlook of the program in the seasons to come. Al Golden, Jay Paterno, and Mike Munchak? What fantasy planet is a post like this transmitted from?

BLAH...BLAH...BLAH.

Opinions are like assh0les, we all have one, but yours stinks the most.

We will never know about Munchak.

Really PSU was going to come back strong with just a solid coach. There's too much tradition, the fan support is so strong, the facilities are top notch and the quality education a big draw for some kids.

But I can't imagine any other coach bringing PSU back so rapidly. I think the most realistic people here expected PSU back at full strength in about 2018. It's happening about a year ahead of schedule. And I think that is a reflection of James Franklin's talent and remarkable capacity for hard work.

Reactions: 81b&w

The only one who was spewing vile venom was Gunsie. He's long gone.

Franklin is the right man for this job.

Not everyone on"this board" - I had full faith and confidence in CJF from the second they announced his name

My quote at the time is that he was JoePa 2.0

Here is the Wikipedia article on Nick Saban. PAY ATTENTION to his resume, which you will find if you scroll down.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Saban
What? Your mantra is be dishonest, screw people over and do whatever it takes to succeed? Thanks for the tip, bonobo.
You're a true bone head, but how you read that into my post is mind boggling. I was simply showing a dumb f*ck like you how coaches, when they are young, change jobs, ala Franklin. Now, put me back on ignore.

I thank you.
You are correct, Franklin's strength is being a great Salesman!

Now game day coach he leaves a lot to be desired.

Pray your Offensive Coordinator stays for a long time,

You are high if u think that we would be better today with Golden, Jay, Munchak, Bradley or Johnson SR.

Meyer, Saban, etc.... have done it and could do it at PSU, do not think that they were available.

We are having a discussion about whether the super model that we are with is Hot Enough.

Mack's got a crystal ball when it comes to predicting the future. Dude was a genius predicting the future of the stock market. I am sure he is spot on thinking Jay would have turned around the program as quick as Franklin could.....Bwahahahaha!!

Reactions: PSU Soupy

You're Welcome Cosmos.
Where can I pick up a "Cosmos to English" dictionary? You must own one.

Pray your Offensive Coordinator stays for a long time,
Troll alert. BTW, Franklin hired said offensive coordinator and gets credit for it.

Jay Paterno? WTF.

Do you strive to not have any credibility?

And I thought Bradley was the HC. He went 1-3 and got blasted in his final two games.

Considering that team had 11 of its 22 starters make it to the NFL (on actual regular season roster) it wasn't due to a lack of talent either.

We will never know about Munchak.

Really PSU was going to come back strong with just a solid coach. There's too much tradition, the fan support is so strong, the facilities are top notch and the quality education a big draw for some kids.

But I can't imagine any other coach bringing PSU back so rapidly. I think the most realistic people here expected PSU back at full strength in about 2018. It's happening about a year ahead of schedule. And I think that is a reflection of James Franklin's talent and remarkable capacity for hard work.
CJF had been out recruiting high school kids at Vandy so he was familiar with a lot of them, and them with him. That would seem to be a leg up on Munchak from the start.

Also, he got Trace to flip and join him at PSU. Munchak wouldn't have had that luxury coming in from the pros.

I'm not sure we'd even be close to where we are now with Munchak. I like the guy, and he's a great coach, but he needs to stay with the Steelers. (Says a die hard Steelers fan). :D

Just curious, what game day coaching problems did you see last year.

Because I thought that part of it he handled really well.

Game day, here's what I saw:

1) Some really good first-half clock management that enabled the team to score critical TDs just before halftime in several games.
2) Aggressive play-calling by Moorhead in tight situations (I don't think Franklin did the play calling but he clearly was engaged and part of the strategy). PSU played to win, they didn't play not to lose.
3) Constant game-day engagement with players. I really love that Franklin isn't one of those coaches who just stays on his headset discussing Xs and Os -- Moorehad and Pry do that. He's also not one of those coaches like Harbaugh who spends the whole game working the officials. He'll express his opinions about calls but Franklin is really smart about not wasting too much time on it, because most of the time jawing with officials is not time well spent.

Franklin is always watching the players on the field, congratulating them when they do well, offering advice when they don't. When Barkley taunted the Iowa LB on a TD Franklin was immediately on it, using it as a teachable moment. I thought that was terribly impressive on several levels.

To me, the biggest question about game day coaching is -- how do the players look. Are they playing hard? How do they handle adversity? Do they get complacent when they get a lead. I think on all those counts PSU did really well last year. Franklin's players play hard for him -- when they're behind and when they're ahead. That is the No. 1 thing you want from game day coaching.

Reactions: 81b&w and EPC FAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT