ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin on the hot seat

bdgan

May 29, 2008
PSU has never made the college football playoffs. This year we have quite a few 4/5star players form the 6th ranked 2022 class who are likely in their last year (Carter, Sutton, Allar, Singleton, Allen). 2 1/2 years ago Franklin was given a huge 10 year contract. Now the administration has committed $700 million to upgrade Beaver Stadium and tens of millions more to upgrade other facilities. It will very difficult for the administration to sit still if PSU misses the playoffs this year given that next year is likely a rebuilding year and this year's in state recruiting has suffered. The issue of interfering with medical personnel could also be a factor.

I've seen articles that say Franklin isn't on the hot seat but I have to wonder if that's true.

Reactions: brupsu and aworsnup
PSU has never made the college football playoffs. This year we have quite a few 4/5star players form the 6th ranked 2022 class who are likely in their last year (Carter, Sutton, Allar, Singleton, Allen). 2 1/2 years ago Franklin was given a huge 10 year contract. Now the administration has committed $700 million to upgrade Beaver Stadium and tens of millions more to upgrade other facilities. It will very difficult for the administration to sit still if PSU misses the playoffs this year given that next year is likely a rebuilding year and this year's in state recruiting has suffered. The issue of interfering with medical personnel could also be a factor.

I've seen articles that say Franklin isn't on the hot seat but I have to wonder if that's true.

In seasons like this, we go .500.

We will see what happens. Last season during the OSU game when we kept throwing the ball in completion after incompletion was shocking.

Franklin threw his OC under the bus, but he should have noticed during the game as i did.

Reactions: aworsnup

It’s aggravating/frustrating that we haven’t broken through on the CFP or OSU, but a guy that wins double digit games fairly consistently, fills the stadium, and graduates players, ain’t on the hot seat. That’s crazy land.

If they don’t make playoff this year, which is highly unlikely they don’t, he will move to hot seat next year. Can’t see them not making it though.

PSU admin should have been campaigning for donations to PSU's football NIL instead of for stadium upgrades if they wanted to help Franklin and the team be a consistent playoff team.....

Due to the length of Franklin’s contract plus the large buy out amount I think Franklin has at least 3 more years at PSU. So, maybe something along the lines of he has to make the playoffs either this year or next year. If he doesn’t, he’s on the hot seat for the 2026 season.

It’s aggravating/frustrating that we haven’t broken through on the CFP or OSU, but a guy that wins double digit games fairly consistently, fills the stadium, and graduates players, ain’t on the hot seat. That’s crazy land.
Franklin has had 5 seasons with double digit wins years during his 10 year career at PSU.

Penn State football recorded an APR of 914 for the 2021-22 academic year, the lowest among Big Ten football teams, according to a report published by Spotlight PA.

To be fair Franklin inherited a sanctions depleted roster that impacted his first two years. I also believe the focus on academics was going to suffer regardless of who replaced Paterno. Today's coaches are paid ~ $10 million to win football games. I think Franklin cares about academics but the economics of today's game are a bigger priority.

If they don’t make playoff this year, which is highly unlikely they don’t, he will move to hot seat next year. Can’t see them not making it though.
That's a bold prediction. The 5 highest ranked conference champions get a spot in the playoffs. That leaves 7 at large spots. I could easily see something like this:

BiG 10 3 teams
SEC 3 teams
ACC 2 teams
Big 12 2 teams
Pac 12 1 team
Notre Dame

Ohio State and Oregon are ranked ahead of PSU so we have to finish higher than the rest of tour BiG opponents like Michigan and USC. I'd give PSU a 60% chance but it's far from a sure thing.

Franklin has had 5 seasons with double digit wins years during his 10 year career at PSU.

Penn State football recorded an APR of 914 for the 2021-22 academic year, the lowest among Big Ten football teams, according to a report published by Spotlight PA.

To be fair Franklin inherited a sanctions depleted roster that impacted his first two years. I also believe the focus on academics was going to suffer regardless of who replaced Paterno. Today's coaches are paid ~ $10 million to win football games. I think Franklin cares about academics but the economics of today's game are a bigger priority.
Yeah, since the onset of the Portal/NIL/Covid, academics are ( and will remain) increasingly difficult to maintain. Prior to that, ( 2014-19’ approximately)PSU/Franklin football did well.

Reactions: bdgan
Yeah, since the onset of the Portal/NIL/Covid, academics are ( and will remain) increasingly difficult to maintain. Prior to that, ( 2014-19’ approximately)PSU/Franklin football did well.
I think academics at PSU took a step back as soon as Paterno was replaced. I'm not blaming Franklin because I think he honestly cares about academics. It's just that Paterno had enough goodwill built up that he could run the program the way he saw fit. Any new coach was going to come in with a compensation package that was several times higher and more pressure to win. I don't know about Covid but IMO NIL and the portal are a huge setback for academics.

I'll use KLS as an example even though I don't know his situation and it might be a bad example. He transferred to Auburn. It's likely that some of his credits didn't transfer. He'll have adjust to all new professors, classrooms, etc. but his first priority is probably to meet his new teammates and coaches while learning a new playbook and securing NIL deals. This is why Joe at one time opposed freshman eligibility. He thought freshmen ought to spend the first year getting acclimated to academics and the rigors of playing a D1 sport. The portal and NIL have to cut into academic performance.

Define hot seat.

The definition varies greatly here.

Franklin needs to make the playoff this year and winning a playoff game would be great, but I don't believe his seat is remotely hot. The goodbye money is too high. End of story.
I think if we miss the playoffs the next 2 seasons he could be fired. I don't see him getting fired after this year.

That's a bold prediction. The 5 highest ranked conference champions get a spot in the playoffs. That leaves 7 at large spots. I could easily see something like this:

BiG 10 3 teams
SEC 3 teams
ACC 2 teams
Big 12 2 teams
Pac 12 1 team
Notre Dame

Ohio State and Oregon are ranked ahead of PSU so we have to finish higher than the rest of tour BiG opponents like Michigan and USC. I'd give PSU a 60% chance but it's far from a sure thing.
Not sure about that. I think sec and big 10 each get 4 in every year. Acc not getting 2 plus ND.

I think academics at PSU took a step back as soon as Paterno was replaced. I'm not blaming Franklin because I think he honestly cares about academics. It's just that Paterno had enough goodwill built up that he could run the program the way he saw fit. Any new coach was going to come in with a compensation package that was several times higher and more pressure to win. I don't know about Covid but IMO NIL and the portal are a huge setback for academics.

I'll use KLS as an example even though I don't know his situation and it might be a bad example. He transferred to Auburn. It's likely that some of his credits didn't transfer. He'll have adjust to all new professors, classrooms, etc. but his first priority is probably to meet his new teammates and coaches while learning a new playbook and securing NIL deals. This is why Joe at one time opposed freshman eligibility. He thought freshmen ought to spend the first year getting acclimated to academics and the rigors of playing a D1 sport. The portal and NIL have to cut into academic performance.
Agree. With the advent of Portal and NIL, academics are in the back seat. The Covid period made it even more challenging .
— Joe was a rarity, he was academics driven, with football a high secondary focus. Franklin initially did his best ( and did well), with the environment given, to emulate that. —With portal/NIL, there is very little academic “control”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PurposePitch
I think if we miss the playoffs the next 2 seasons he could be fired. I don't see him getting fired after this year.

With what money? You are talking $50 million to buy him out AND another $50m, at least, to hire your next coach.

We would have to be 12-12 or worse over the next 2 years before Kraft would consider negotiating a buyout, particularly because all the leverage belongs to Franklin as far as any of us know.

I'm not implying anyone would be happy with those records; I'm just implying it would take that bad of one to CONSIDER it. The university loves 10-2. The big games sell like crazy. The tix sell 100k+ for even Bowling Green, even if only 80k show up. The program is relatively as clean as any currently. Being Bama or bust isn't what our administration desires.

BiG 10 3 teams
SEC 3 teams
ACC 2 teams
Big 12 2 teams
Pac 12 1 team
Notre Dame

The Big XII isn't getting two teams. Unlikely the ACC will. This exists to put in as many SEC/Big Ten as possible.

Franklin won't be fired if we miss the playoff but the expectation is to be in and anything short is a failure.

I agree with you. Regardless of what happens this year, he will be around through the 2025 season. What happens this year and next will determine what happens after the 2025 season.

No offense to the op but outside of bombing with a losing record over the next three years, Franklin will not be fired. Secondly, a lot of what happens moving forward is really on us as the fan base and alumni base donating as NIL is becoming the prime motivator of success in college football. If one does not accept that fact, then one is not dialed into what’s actually happening in college football. Other fanbases quite frankly understand this a lot better than our own. Lastly, not a great message thread to post when there is very little likelihood that he will be fired and it only serves to damage our reputation with potential new recruits. Not only do we not support NIL as much as other alumni basis, but we will negatively recruit ourselves to the advantage of our opponents.

Reactions: rcy4499
Stop making excuses for this guy, he is paid 9 million a year to win football games anytime there is a real team in front of him he chokes. Most high school coaches could have done what he has done since being here. It’s time for him and his best bestie Hagans to hit the road. Hagans was nothing at Virginia and is nothing here. Why do you think recruits keep going to another school? Anyone with a brain can figure this out real quick

• Haha
Reactions: rcy4499
With what money? You are talking $50 million to buy him out AND another $50m, at least, to hire your next coach.

We would have to be 12-12 or worse over the next 2 years before Kraft would consider negotiating a buyout, particularly because all the leverage belongs to Franklin as far as any of us know.

I'm not implying anyone would be happy with those records; I'm just implying it would take that bad of one to CONSIDER it. The university loves 10-2. The big games sell like crazy. The tix sell 100k+ for even Bowling Green, even if only 80k show up. The program is relatively as clean as any currently. Being Bama or bust isn't what our administration desires.
Apparently we have $700+ mill. for a stadium so...

He's not on the hot seat, but he probably should be. PSU was actually in a better position than Michigan a few years into Franklin's tenure. He completely mismanaged the covid years, has displayed 'questionable' coaching acumen, doesn't fundraise very well, completely mismanaged NIL, and is still fixated on facilities instead of it.

BiG 10 3 teams
SEC 3 teams
ACC 2 teams
Big 12 2 teams
Pac 12 1 team
Notre Dame

We have to beat USC to get in otherwise I can see us aced out even with only 2 losses. Still could get in but it opens the door for us being like #13 or 14. This is a good thing because it means Franklin needs to take his team on the road and get a big win versus a top 20 or maybe top 15 team. Change the narrative, James!

This is a good thing because it means Franklin needs to take his team on the road and get a big win versus a top 20 or maybe top 15 team. Change the narrative, James!

For USC to be a top 15 or 20 team when we play them, they will have to beat at least 1 of LSU and Michigan as well as fend off Wisconsin at home and a road trip to Minnesota before we go to the Coliseum.

5-0 is possible because there is no guarantee LSU and Michigan will be as good this year as last, but currently odds say very unlikely (LSU is a 6 pt favorite, Michigan 9.5).

A 4-1 USC will definitely be ranked. 3-2 will not be and would be a huge trap game (on the road, 2 loss opponent).

We have to beat USC to get in otherwise I can see us aced out even with only 2 losses. Still could get in but it opens the door for us being like #13 or 14. This is a good thing because it means Franklin needs to take his team on the road and get a big win versus a top 20 or maybe top 15 team. Change the narrative, James!
2 losses and we're a lock

Anything is possible.

I know some opponents lost players to graduation but they still have enough talent to win. OSU, Washington, USC, UCLA, Wisconsin, and West Virginia could all present a challenge.

We also have to contend with Oregon & Michigan even though we don't play them. They could both make the playoffs in which case PSU could be in trouble.

I think we're in with 2 losses and out with 3 losses. Notre Dame vs A&M could be a big game opening week. Texas at Michigan will be a big game in week 2.

I know some opponents lost players to graduation but they still have enough talent to win. OSU, Washington, USC, UCLA, Wisconsin, and West Virginia could all present a challenge.
If some of those teams "present a challenge" then we need to move on from Franklin. This isn't the 80s when teams rebuild. We have a Jr QB that started last year and one of the best RB duos in the country along with a great defense. If we're worried about WVU or UCLA or Wisconsin then Franklin needs to go. You all need to stop thinking pretending average to bad teams are good makes us look better. We've proven the last two years we beat the teams we're supposed to--that's a great team. Now to be elite we have to start beating Ohio State with some regularity and comprehend that WVU, Wisconsin and UCLA aren't challenges. It doesn't mean they can't shock us but those are expected wins at this stage.

10-2 in the Big Ten or SEC = playoff birth

Reactions: scrivener and bdgan

BiG 10 3 teams
SEC 3 teams
ACC 2 teams
Big 12 2 teams
Pac 12 1 team
Notre Dame

The Pac 12 is now the Pac 2 and I don't see Washington State or Oregon State making the college football playoff.

Not sure about that. I think sec and big 10 each get 4 in every year. Acc not getting 2 plus ND.
If that was true there would only be 4 other spots and 3 of them would go to conference champions.

The ACC has Florida State and Clemson and they play comparatively weak schedules. Both of those could easily get into the playoffs. From time to time schools like Miami, Louisville, and North Carolina could sneak in.

If that was true there would only be 4 other spots and 3 of them would go to conference champions.

The ACC has Florida State and Clemson and they play comparatively weak schedules. Both of those could easily get into the playoffs. From time to time schools like Miami, Louisville, and North Carolina could sneak in.
I’ll take a look at last few years and see but I think sec and big ten with the new teams added will most likely get 4 in each every year. There may be an outlier but I think that direction it’s going.

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter2
I’ll take a look at last few years and see but I think sec and big ten with the new teams added will most likely get 4 in each every year. There may be an outlier but I think that direction it’s going.

Last few years are irrelevant other than to see the trend of who had the most teams ranked 1-12 more often than not. At the end of the sessions that will determine who gets in, it's going to be loaded with SEC and Big 10 teams. ACC and Big 12 teams with 2 losses will be bypassed for SEC and Big 10 teams with 2 losses. ND as well because unless they beat some strong SEC/Big 10 teams, they are essentially in a cannibalistic spot with the ACC.

None of the rankings matter except for the final one that sets matchups. The rest is tv fluff to sell ad space during the week while the talking heads blow everyone up trying to drum up viewership.

Agree. With the advent of Portal and NIL, academics are in the back seat. The Covid period made it even more challenging .
— Joe was a rarity, he was academics driven, with football a high secondary focus. Franklin initially did his best ( and did well), with the environment given, to emulate that. —With portal/NIL, there is very little academic “control”
Agree. IIRC, Joe once held jurevicious out of a game(s) for missing A class. MRob was disgruntled for 3-4 years. Most members of Joe's infamous dog house would have portaled out. The inmates are running the asylum under the current structure.

Reactions: jimarnp
Agree. IIRC, Joe once held jurevicious out of a game(s) for missing A class. MRob was disgruntled for 3-4 years. Most members of Joe's infamous dog house would have portaled out. The inmates are running the asylum under the current structure.
Why is it bad that they would have used the portal? Maybe MRob and Penn Stats weren't a good fit and he would have been better off elsewhere and we would have been better off being able to move on.

And why is this an asylum? Why do you want the program to control a player and their future?

People need to stop living in the past.

No offense to the op but outside of bombing with a losing record over the next three years, Franklin will not be fired. Secondly, a lot of what happens moving forward is really on us as the fan base and alumni base donating as NIL is becoming the prime motivator of success in college football. If one does not accept that fact, then one is not dialed into what’s actually happening in college football. Other fanbases quite frankly understand this a lot better than our own. Lastly, not a great message thread to post when there is very little likelihood that he will be fired and it only serves to damage our reputation with potential new recruits. Not only do we not support NIL as much as other alumni basis, but we will negatively recruit ourselves to the advantage of our opponents.
Just out of curiosity, but do you believe that you are a "Top Tier" fan? And is that because you are willing to donate $, including to kids who haven't even set foot on a college field? Exactly how much have you given?

Anything is possible.

We also have to contend with Oregon & Michigan even though we don't play them. They could both make the playoffs in which case PSU could be in trouble.

I think we're in with 2 losses and out with 3 losses. Notre Dame vs A&M could be a big game opening week. Texas at Michigan will be a big game in week 2.
We certainly have a shot to be in with 2 losses but have also opened the door to not get in.

It depends on a lot of factors such as how bad were our 2 losses? If it is USC and OSU then how good is USC? I think you posted that the B10 will probably get three, I think that is right so I do think OSU and Oregon are in then you look at us, USC and Michigan as contenders for the third bid. If we lose to USC that is not good unless they pick up 3 losses which could happen. Then Michigan could be a pain in our butt also. They get every break so we will not get a break over them and since we don't play them then they will need 3 losses.

We certainly have a shot to be in with 2 losses but have also opened the door to not get in.

It depends on a lot of factors such as how bad were our 2 losses? If it is USC and OSU then how good is USC? I think you posted that the B10 will probably get three, I think that is right so I do think OSU and Oregon are in then you look at us, USC and Michigan as contenders for the third bid. If we lose to USC that is not good unless they pick up 3 losses which could happen. Then Michigan could be a pain in our butt also. They get every break so we will not get a break over them and since we don't play them then they will need 3 losses.
Two losses and any Big Ten team is in

Reactions: rrdd2021
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT