ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin on the hot seat

Why is it bad that they would have used the portal? Maybe MRob and Penn Stats weren't a good fit and he would have been better off elsewhere and we would have been better off being able to move on.

And why is this an asylum? Why do you want the program to control a player and their future?

People need to stop living in the past.
Lando, you are so contrarian, that you miss the point entirely. The point about Joe's time is that he would never have been able to enact "success with honor" and build men, whatever you think of it.

Regarding the inmates running the asylum comment, the current structure has overcorrected and needs to be pulled back to some degree. At this point coaches have little ability to enact any structure or discipline on young men who desperately need it. Coaches must now coddle and kowtow to kids that leave at the first difficulty. In NFL, players complain, but they are under contract and the teams have some equality to be protected in the investment they've made in a player. In college, today, almost 100% of the power sits with kids whose frontal lobes are not fully formed. I have no problem with the portal, but the current dynamic, in the grand scheme is not ideal for either side of the equation.

Reactions: jimarnp
Lando, you are so contrarian, that you miss the point entirely. The point about Joe's time is that he would never have been able to enact "success with honor" and build men, whatever you think of it.

Regarding the inmates running the asylum comment, the current structure has overcorrected and needs to be pulled back to some degree. At this point coaches have little ability to enact any structure or discipline on young men who desperately need it. Coaches must now coddle and kowtow to kids that leave at the first difficulty. In NFL, players complain, but they are under contract and the teams have some equality to be protected in the investment they've made in a player. In college, today, almost 100% of the power sits with kids whose frontal lobes are not fully formed. I have no problem with the portal, but the current dynamic, in the grand scheme is not ideal for either side of the equation.

And that's not a bad thing. "Success with Honor" was just a way to lower expectations IMO. I'm not convinced that Joe wouldn't have thrived in this environment. I think he would have crushed recruiting in the portal. Joe would have loved the expanded playoff.

The portal, as is, isn't ideal or even close to what I'd like but far better than programs having the ability to prevent kids from leaving and going to certain schools. If this was truly about academics that should have never existed. Things change and evolve. No system is going to perfect but the kids should have the ability to control their own lives and where they play. If Franklin wants to sit someone for any reason (academic, discipline, etc) I don't really want them here and fine with them going elsewhere.

I'm not missing the point. I dont think the point is valid. It's living in the past. Stop. It's not the 70s and 80s. It never will be again. I can still enjoy that era while understanding all sports evolve.

I’m trying to think of any coach in history that has been rumored to be on the hot seat as often as JF without ever having actually been on the hot seat.
Lol you could be right but it's probably just you hear it more because you're a fan of Penn State.
I'm sure some Georgia fans are saying Smart is on the hot seat for missing the playoff last year and if he doesn't at least reach the semis they need to fire him lol

I’m trying to think of any coach in history that has been rumored to be on the hot seat as often as JF without ever having actually been on the hot seat.
It comes from the irrational fans. They can think he's on the hot seat all they want, the only opinion that really matters when it comes to his job is that of the athletic director and PSU leadership. I can assure you that Franklin has never been close, and still isn't close, to being fired.

It comes from the irrational fans. They can think he's on the hot seat all they want, the only opinion that really matters when it comes to his job is that of the athletic director and PSU leadership. I can assure you that Franklin has never been close, and still isn't close, to being fired.
He will be if this new OC is a bust and we miss the playoffs the next two years. But probably not canned due to the dumb contract his agent got by Sandy Barbour.

Penn State football's won-loss percentage before James Franklin 820-362-37 .6878589.
James Franklin's won-loss percentage at Penn State 88-39-0 .693.
Penn State's won-loss percentage all-time has improved under James Franklin.
908-401-37 .6883358.

Winning in today's college football with NIL, the transfer portal and to try keep players happy to stay is harder than ever to win and something all of Franklin's predecessors at Penn State never had to deal with. I trust that Pat Kraft is cognizant of that reality as so many so-called "fans" are not.

• Haha
Reactions: scrivener
Penn State football's won-loss percentage before James Franklin 820-362-37 .6878589.
908-401-37 .6883358.

Winning in today's college football with NIL, the transfer portal and to try keep players happy to stay is harder than ever to win and something all of Franklin's predecessors at Penn State never had to deal with. I trust that Pat Kraft is cognizant of that reality as so many so-called "fans" are not.
All that $ for a fraction of a percentage point.

All that $ for a fraction of a percentage point.
Quite an accomplishment to improve the eighth-highest winning percentage in college football history. A definite bargain in today's college football environment.

5cDw93B.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mgkpsu
908-401-37 .6883358.

Did you compare the quality of the opponents?
I have no problem with the job Franklin is doing but let's be honest. Paterno had too many average at best seasons and Franklin still hasn't made a playoff. The playoff is the only thing that actually matters. Failure to get their is just that. Failure.

Did you compare the quality of the opponents?
I have no problem with the job Franklin is doing but let's be honest. Paterno had too many average at best seasons and Franklin still hasn't made a playoff. The playoff is the only thing that actually matters. Failure to get their is just that. Failure.
Saturdays is a total apologist for JF...he also doesn't realize the portal and NIL didn't exist until a few years ago, when we still didn't make the playoffs. He, like a select few on here, think that the challenges of winning big and actually overcoming, are solely native to PSU and nobody else. It's just excuse after excuse.

• Haha
Reactions: rcy4499
Saturdays is a total apologist for JF...he also doesn't realize the portal and NIL didn't exist until a few years ago, when we still didn't make the playoffs. He, like a select few on here, think that the challenges of winning big and actually overcoming, are solely native to PSU and nobody else. It's just excuse after excuse.
It was just a horrible attempt to try to make a point. I'm content with Franklin as of today but let's not try to make him into something he isn't.

It was just a horrible attempt to try to make a point. I'm content with Franklin as of today but let's not try to make him into something he isn't.

The biggest problem is, outside of 2016, we haven't been involved in the national championship hunt under JF. Sure, JF has basically gotten us to 9/10 wins yearly, but he isn't getting us over the next hill.

Too many want to rehash the Paterno years. From '66-'73, we were Boise State. It sucks, but that was essentially the national outlook for us.

'74-'79, we had some strong teams, but tended to drop our national showcase type of games.

'80-'86 is the golden era of Penn State football and what most characterize the rest of Paterno's career as. We beefed up the schedule and was winning. 2 national titles and 1 other appearance. This put us on the map.

'87-after is probably still a really good career if separated from everything prior, but outside of '94 (pure robbery, plain and simple) and '05 (would have been the 3rd wheel even if Michigan didn't get the extra 2 seconds), it's the same as what we are going through right now.

I think I'm rambling. I'll stop now.

Reactions: LandoComando
The biggest problem is, outside of 2016, we haven't been involved in the national championship hunt under JF. Sure, JF has basically gotten us to 9/10 wins yearly, but he isn't getting us over the next hill.

Too many want to rehash the Paterno years. From '66-'73, we were Boise State. It sucks, but that was essentially the national outlook for us.

'74-'79, we had some strong teams, but tended to drop our national showcase type of games.

'80-'86 is the golden era of Penn State football and what most characterize the rest of Paterno's career as. We beefed up the schedule and was winning. 2 national titles and 1 other appearance. This put us on the map.

'87-after is probably still a really good career if separated from everything prior, but outside of '94 (pure robbery, plain and simple) and '05 (would have been the 3rd wheel even if Michigan didn't get the extra 2 seconds), it's the same as what we are going through right now.

I think I'm rambling. I'll stop now.
2017 was a better team than 2016...that was our chance and blew it.

Reactions: lazydave841
2017 was a better team than 2016...that was our chance and blew it.

Better team for sure, but was out of the conversation as soon as we dropped that INT.

'16 didn't make it, but nobody wanted to play us nor USC by the seasons end. And we at least had a case for being in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT