ADVERTISEMENT

FRL today - Nomad confirms PSU has a chance with Gross Transfer

Did Nomad give the basis for the opinion? From Gross? Or was he just trying to be "logical" that PSU would be interested in improving at the lower weights cuz they dont have a sure fire Top 5 guy there and would be attractive to many wrestlers?

Having listened to all the "experts" and "reporters" opining themselves in circles over where Bryce Harper was going to land, all of them ultimately looking like fools, I'd love to know if this is more of the same or has some real basis.

FLO also thinks that Rivera has a chance for the Hodge, so...

Last edited:
If I'm Gross I'm keeping all my options ostensibly open, regardless of my intent, because he potentially loses leverage (and thus scholarship money) if he pretends otherwise. I'd still bet the whole stack on him going to Wisconsin.

giphy.gif

Holy Mother of All That is Righteous!!!!

That would cause wrestling message boards to self-combust
Especially the board of the team where he began his college career.

Gross would suddenly turn into the biggest miscreant since PD3. Wait ...

Never say never, though there are longshots, and there are not-so-longshots. I like Wisconsin, but that's one man's meaningless opinion.

If we get Seth Gross, I think some Hawkeye fans will legitimately boycott wrestling next year.

EDIT: 0 Sources but I'd still be shocked if he's not a Badger but the fact it's not a done deal leads me to think he is legitimately going to think it through. Not sure how much money we can offer him compared to others though but it's okay, everyone knows we'll just funnel him money through NLWC amirite? ;)

Reactions: Ski
My take would be of course they have a chance...several of the top tier programs "have a chance." There's also a chance that people pull stuff like this out of their butt to get listens and clicks. What was the context of the comment? Anyone can say anything...were there any solid reasons he gave to support it? I tuned in late and didn't hear the discussion so I really have no idea what was said.

Reactions: aalion
My take would be of course they have a chance...several of the top tier programs "have a chance." There's also a chance that people pull stuff like this out of their butt to get listens and clicks. What was the context of the comment? Anyone can say anything...were there any solid reasons he gave to support it? I tuned in late and didn't hear the discussion so I really have no idea what was said.
Doesn't take "listens and clicks" for folks to pull stuff out of their butts. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Tjsch1 and papa_ed
I wonder if Wisconsin may be hampered because of very serious rumors that Bono tampered with Gross. I can’t find the link now, but Bono and I believe Reader are in the NCAA database for an unspecified violation.

I’ll try and find it

Reactions: dunkej01
I wonder if Wisconsin may be hampered because of very serious rumors that Bono tampered with Gross. I can’t find the link now, but Bono and I believe Reader are in the NCAA database for an unspecified violation.

I’ll try and find it

That is the only hope. Like Storr going to Michigan instead of Virginia.

The thing about any of these stud kids.. if PSU has an open weight and they can come in without sitting.. they know they can not only compete for an individual NC but also a team title.. that might mean something to Gross.. so who knows..

Pretty much my take. Wisky still makes the most sense, but if Gross wants to win an individual title and a team title .....

And going back to Iowa seems like a long, long shot.

That is the only hope. Like Storr going to Michigan instead of Virginia.
I can’t find it after a quick search but there is a guy on twitter - maybe a SDSU fan - who brings it up on a lot of the FRL Question request tweets. He has had a link before.

I’m not trolling. I’ve seen it.

Found it - it’s not NCAA, it’s a Safesport violation - whatever that is. Both Bono and Reader

https://safesport.org/userviolations/search

Last edited:
I can’t find it after a quick search but there is a guy on twitter - maybe a SDSU fan - who brings it up on a lot of the FRL Question request tweets. He has had a link before.

Found it - it’s not NCAA, it’s a Safesport violation - whatever that is. Both Bono and Reader

Lots of those cases seem to be of the icky Tickle Monster, etc variety, but I’m sure more minor stuff like verbal abuse gets covered.

Wow, what a fascinating site! I couldn't find anything about "Allegations of Misconduct = Interim Measures" in their FAQs. But that's what both Reader's & Bono's records show.
xHWIyLH.png

SjS9Pn5.png

Wow, what a fascinating site! I couldn't find anything about "Allegations of Misconduct = Interim Measures" in their FAQs. But that's what both Reader's & Bono's records show.
xHWIyLH.png

SjS9Pn5.png
FWIW, Gross only wrestled once this year, on 11/11... 8 days prior to the date of these alleged infractions. I wouldn't necessarily read everything into that, but it might lend weight to CT's suggestion.

Does anyone know how Gross stacks-up with freestyle and/or his future aspirations after college? A next-step for him could be tied to a club spot. For example, could his next move be aligned with NLWC post-graduation? Same goes for any student athlete transferring, etc. Might as well transfer to the school with an Olympic RTC that wants you on-board.

Reactions: bigs22
From the SafeSport site. Wonder how or if the NCAA uses this information? Doubt they do.;

Our Work
The U.S. Center for SafeSport is an independent nonprofit committed to ending all forms of abuse in sport. This includes bullying, harassment, hazing, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and sexual misconduct and abuse. The Center is the first and only national organization of its kind. The Center provides services to sport entities on abuse prevention techniques, policies and programs and provides a safe, professional and confidential place for individuals to report sexual abuse within the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movements. Visit our Response and Resolution, and Education and Outreach pages to learn more about our work.

I would think the Cassar and Shak decisions on an additional year would impact the funds that would be available for Gross.

That database is about physical/mental/emotional/sexual abuse. Wouldn't be relevant to NCAA roster tampering allegations.

An "interim restriction" sounds like Double Secret Probation. Probably some cert lapsed.

Reactions: tikk10
From the SafeSport site. Wonder how or if the NCAA uses this information?;

Our Work
The U.S. Center for SafeSport is an independent nonprofit committed to ending all forms of abuse in sport. This includes bullying, harassment, hazing, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and sexual misconduct and abuse. The Center is the first and only national organization of its kind. The Center provides services to sport entities on abuse prevention techniques, policies and programs and provides a safe, professional and confidential place for individuals to report sexual abuse within the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movements. Visit our Response and Resolution, and Education and Outreach pages to learn more about our work.

There was a rumor going around EIWAs regarding Bono that fits with the info (misconduct) in this thread except it doesn't have to do with Gross. It could impact his decision though I imagine.

That said, it was just a rumor so you will have to connect your own dots. But there is some smoke there. And considering Nomad was at EIWAs (I think I saw him there Saturday, although it was across the mats, maybe it was just someone that looked like him), maybe this is where this is coming from.

That database is about physical/mental/emotional/sexual abuse. Wouldn't be relevant to NCAA roster tampering allegations.

An "interim restriction" sounds like Double Secret Probation. Probably some cert lapsed.
Yeah, no doubt on not addressing tampering (but tampering has been suggested and TheMat mod keeps deleting any posts on it).

I should probably read more about Safe Sport. I had a girlfriend way back when who ended up at the center of the massive USA Swimming investigations. Turns out she had been groomed since she was 13 by her coach who she naively followed. It was going on while we dated briefly, but I had no clue. We’ve reconnected and she said her coach pretty much forced her to dump me. She’s fighting the bastards now

There was a rumor going around EIWAs regarding Bono that fits with the info (misconduct) in this thread except it doesn't have to do with Gross. It could impact his decision though I imagine.

That said, it was just a rumor so you will have to connect your own dots. But there is some smoke there. And considering Nomad was at EIWAs (I think I saw him there Saturday, although it was across the mats, maybe it was just someone that looked like him), maybe this is where this is coming from.

the nomad look is normal on college campuses :eek::eek::eek:

Q:

If a wrestler already has their undergraduate degree & chooses to wrestle as a 5th or 6th year senior, how many grad credits must they be enrolled in to be eligible to wrestle ??

(My point - if you’re a grad student w 3 or 6 credits, you don’t even need a scholarship .... and don’t have to count against the 9.9)

Yeah, no doubt on not addressing tampering (but tampering has been suggested and TheMat mod keeps deleting any posts on it).

I should probably read more about Safe Sport. I had a girlfriend way back when who ended up at the center of the massive USA Swimming investigations. Turns out she had been groomed since she was 13 by her coach who she naively followed. It was going on while we dated briefly, but I had no clue. We’ve reconnected and she said her coach pretty much forced her to dump me. She’s fighting the bastards now
I had to go through the requisite Safe Sport training a year ago in order to get my photographer credentials--pretty much anyone connected to whichever collegiate sport has to. Took a few hours, you're presented with ethical dilemmas like the one you describe above (how to spot, how/whether to report, etc.), and you need to get 100% before you can finish. They also run a criminal background check.

Reactions: jtothemfp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT