ADVERTISEMENT

Game 2: Pens vs. Preds. Who wins?

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
2-0, Pens, or tied 1-1? How do you see it going tonight?

As discussed, the Pens were not sharp in Game 1, but they still won. They broke through with a flurry (not Fleury :eek: ) of goals in the 1st period, then went to sleep and watched the Preds slowly claw back into the game. To demonstrate the extent of their slumber, the Pens went 37 minutes without a shot on goal. Finally, with the game tied 3-3, the Pens woke up, showed a sense of urgency, and came through with a late game-winner (and an empty-netter for good measure). It was rarely pretty on Monday night, but it was a win.

Even though they won, I think the Pens got a wake-up call in Game 1. I therefore expect them to come out tonight with a better effort and win the game. The Preds are a good team, so I do not expect a lop-sided victory, but I expect the Pens to stay in control and get the win.

So, 2-0, Pens, after tonight. :)

Last edited:
Major opportunity for Pens to take stranglehold on series. Major opportunity for Nashville to get what they came for in Pittsburgh - a split - to send the series back to their crazy barn in a best of 5.

It's a challenge over the course of the playoffs to get firmly engrained in one opponent for 2 weeks and turn around to play a completely different style. Columbus, Washington, Ottawa...now Nashville. 4 teams and 4 completely different ways to prepare....particularly going from the Sens pace of play to Nashville. That showed a lot in game 1 and would be very surprised if tonight looked anything like Monday.

I think Rinne is a lot better tonight and looking at a 2-1 overtime type of game.

There are a lot of similarities between these Preds and last year's SJ Sharks. The SJ Defense was supposed to be the Pens downfall, but Pittsburgh ate them up by playing in their own end most of the series. If they are to progress in this series, they must get out of their own end clean and make Nashville work in their own end. Teams have had success doing that this post season before Rinne shut the door, but Pens have the talent to capitalize more on those opportunities.

Pens aren't the same team this year, but Rinne's career numbers against the Pens are awful. Question is, will the Preds go to the backup for game 3 if they lose tonight. If Rinne loses, his all-time record against the Pens will be something like 1-10. That's a pretty significant trend.

I know there's no chance of this happening and I'm going to catch a ration of sh*t for saying so, but I would love to see Fleury get the start tonight. I thought Murray was very shakey in game 1...gave up 4 goals and in reality should have stopped at least two of the four.

Like I said, zero chance it happens. But also think if it did happen, MAF would pitch a shutout tonight.

Reactions: Hartzie
Fleury is the sentimental favorite of all-time, but the odds of him playing tonight are only slightly better than the odds of me being in goal. Sullivan clearly has more faith in Murray, and rightfully so. Fleury could pitch a shutout, or he could give up 3 goals on the first 4 shots. Both have happened a lot.

Major opportunity for Pens to take stranglehold on series. Major opportunity for Nashville to get what they came for in Pittsburgh - a split - to send the series back to their crazy barn in a best of 5.

It's a challenge over the course of the playoffs to get firmly engrained in one opponent for 2 weeks and turn around to play a completely different style. Columbus, Washington, Ottawa...now Nashville. 4 teams and 4 completely different ways to prepare....particularly going from the Sens pace of play to Nashville. That showed a lot in game 1 and would be very surprised if tonight looked anything like Monday.

I think Rinne is a lot better tonight and looking at a 2-1 overtime type of game.

There are a lot of similarities between these Preds and last year's SJ Sharks. The SJ Defense was supposed to be the Pens downfall, but Pittsburgh ate them up by playing in their own end most of the series. If they are to progress in this series, they must get out of their own end clean and make Nashville work in their own end. Teams have had success doing that this post season before Rinne shut the door, but Pens have the talent to capitalize more on those opportunities.
I completely agree. The change in style from Ottawa to Nashville is night and day. All Pittsburgh did in the second and third was to lob it out of the zone and force Nashville to regroup. Very little compete from Pittsburgh. It will be interesting to see who is in and who is out of the lineup.

Since the NHL fixes playoff series to go long, I expect the Preds to win this one. The series will go 6 or 7 games.

Since the NHL fixes playoff series to go long, I expect the Preds to win this one. The series will go 6 or 7 games.

Gotta say, after watching the Ottawa series, I really believe this. Never have I seen such inconsistent and baffling reffing.

I completely agree. The change in style from Ottawa to Nashville is night and day. All Pittsburgh did in the second and third was to lob it out of the zone and force Nashville to regroup. Very little compete from Pittsburgh. It will be interesting to see who is in and who is out of the lineup.

Pens had the same issue in game 1 of Sens series going from pace of Caps to the slow as molasses pace of Sens. In fact, I think each of the series so far has seen the Pens' game 2 performances near the top of their game. I'd be surprised if they weren't much better tonight and see a player like Kessel shine.

If I'm Sullivan, I definitely get Hagelin back into the lineup. Need to push the play and he does a better job of that than Rowney or Wilson (I'd side with Wilson to the press box since I think Rowney is better fit on 4th line while Wilson is a waste on Malkin's line).

Reactions: Bessmoney
Fleury is the sentimental favorite of all-time, but the odds of him playing tonight are only slightly better than the odds of me being in goal. Sullivan clearly has more faith in Murray, and rightfully so. Fleury could pitch a shutout, or he could give up 3 goals on the first 4 shots. Both have happened a lot.

Exactly. If I were to bet on who is most likely to get a shut out I would go with Fleury. If I were to bet on who is most likely to give up 6 goals I would also go with Fleury.

Would not be surprised with a Preds victory tonight but as the series unfolds the Pens will seize control. Preds are a .500 team.

First, Pens played better than the stats or 'sports writers' say. Shots-on-goal is misleading because it doesn't count blocked shots, shots just wide or even shots that hit the pipe. Pens had lots of good opportunities to score and will get more tonight.

Also, Mike Lange has always said the hardest lead for a team to hold is a 3 goal, first period lead. Its just too easy to let up a bit.

Pens will be fine. Guys are getting healthier and they adjust better than anyone.

Pens 4-2 tonight. Maybe add another empty netter to go 5-2.

First, Pens played better than the stats or 'sports writers' say. Shots-on-goal is misleading because it doesn't count blocked shots, shots just wide or even shots that hit the pipe. Pens had lots of good opportunities to score and will get more tonight.

Also, Mike Lange has always said the hardest lead for a team to hold is a 3 goal, first period lead. Its just too easy to let up a bit.

Pens will be fine. Guys are getting healthier and they adjust better than anyone.

Every game can take on it's own identity, but I agree with the "guess" that we will continue to see a fairly high number of goals (for a playoff series)

Both teams have some nice offensive skill guys.
Either goalie has the potential to get stupid hot - but it's gonna be tough for either team to completely shut down the other - I think

Sullivan has a wonderful track record at finding the right fits among his combinations - - - - really liked that somewhat unusual pairing of Guentzel and Cullen - will be interesting to see if he stays with it, or gets Guentzel back up w Crosby.

Also will be interesting to see if he tries to inject a bit more speed by dressing Hagelin.

Personally, I think the thing they most need to improve on from Game 1 is their "dirty work" along the boards - - - and their overall "efforting" (which appeared to be unusually "meh" in Game 1)

Yes! In the NHL, a tight wrist shot that beats the goalie's glove and hits the pipe doesn't count as a "shot on goal" yet, a slapshot from the blue line that is 2 1/2 feet over the crossbar but the goalie decides to "glove" since the numbers look bad is registered as a "shot on goal." Eh, it's a Canadian game...

Pens kill the penalties, but Bonino goes out with what looks like a foot injury.

Crap. 1-0, Preds.

Rinne does not look comfortable in goal. The Pens goal aside, he's coming out way too far at times; other times he is buried into the net.

On the Pens' side, Maatta has been brutal again. He had an awful first shift, and it's been downhill from there.

Rinne does not look comfortable in goal. The Pens goal aside, he's coming out way too far at times; other times he is buried into the net.

On the Pens' side, Maatta has been brutal again. He had an awful first shift, and it's been downhill from there.

The Pens are putting pressure on Rinne. He faced 11 shots in Game 1 and 11 shots in the 1st period tonight.

Not the same Pens' team as last year. Can't win faceoffs and can't pressure the puck nearly as well.

That said, I think Malkin is getting ready to break out.

Don't know. I think some of it that there has been some adjustment to last year's team, for one thing. Teams know what is coming. The Pens are also not getting a good forecheck going because the officials are allowing the defensemen to hold them up just about every time. Every single time. That wasn't happening last year nearly as much, although San Jose was trying to get away with it. Their puck possession is worse because their defensemen are just banging it out of the zone when they get it. Last year Letang and even Lovejoy were doing a good job getting to a moving forward quickly. Hainsey and Maatta haven't been able to do it at all since the beginning of the Ottawa series. Cole was doing OK, but he's dropped off as well.

No explanation on the faceoffs. I guess the credit goes to Nashville, although even against the Senators they were doing very poorly.

Don't know. I think some of it that there has been some adjustment to last year's team, for one thing. Teams know what is coming. The Pens are also not getting a good forecheck going because the officials are allowing the defensemen to hold them up just about every time. Every single time. That wasn't happening last year nearly as much, although San Jose was trying to get away with it. Their puck possession is worse because their defensemen are just banging it out of the zone when they get it. Last year Letang and even Lovejoy were doing a good job getting to a moving forward quickly. Hainsey and Maatta haven't been able to do it at all since the beginning of the Ottawa series. Cole was doing OK, but he's dropped off as well.

No explanation on the faceoffs. I guess the credit goes to Nashville, although even against the Senators they were doing very poorly.

Thanks for the comments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT