ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on Jim Harbaugh and his "fading novelty"

wbcincy

Apr 4, 2003
Columbus
Good read, Link here.

The important stuff:

"In his three years at Michigan, Harbaugh has made all sorts of headlines: for drinking milk like beer; for wooing a kicker by sleeping at his house; for babysitting a recruit’s younger brother; for baking a recruit a birthday cake; for speaking at the high school commencement of a top recruit; for going to high school classes with recruits; for singing the national anthem at a Lil Dicky concert; for borrowing a chain from Migos; for gifting the Pope a pair of Jordans; for coming out in support of Darth Vader; for drilling the main character on Detroiters in the back of the head with a football; for arguing that Judge Judy should be appointed to the Supreme Court; for announcing a presidential bid with Wale as his veep; for getting way too into pregame routines with his quarterbacks; for running up the score on Rutgers; for using a play I described as “the Wolverine Centipede”; for taking his team paintballing in Italy; for forcing his children to run drills to prepare for trick-or-treating; for using a rare off day to hold the first-down chain at a high school football game; for working out in khakis; for swimming in khakis; for being incredibly pasty in khakis. All of these are, on some level, Mad Libs. (“All right, we need an activity, and then a type of uncomfortable pants.”) Most recently, Harbaugh made headlines for reportedly telling a player that eating chicken is bad for one’s health, because chickens are “nervous birds” whose weak demeanor will infect the human body when consumed. Jim prefers cows—hence his belief that milk and steak are “natural steroids”—even though cows seem pretty nervous, too. Why doesn’t Jim eat lion?
. . .
No fan base in college football is more self-important than Michigan’s
. . .
The pieces are all there for Harbaugh. He has his quarterback, and all of the players he recruited at sleepovers and birthday parties.
. . .
Everywhere he has gone, he has capitalized on the novelty of his hire and his immediate success. At Michigan that success has waned, and the novelty has worn.
. . .
This is the year for Harbaugh to prove there’s a method to his madness. Because if not, he’s just a weirdo getting paid extravagantly to produce mediocrity for a program used to excellence."

Good read, Link here.

The important stuff:

"In his three years at Michigan, Harbaugh has made all sorts of headlines: for drinking milk like beer; for wooing a kicker by sleeping at his house; for babysitting a recruit’s younger brother; for baking a recruit a birthday cake; for speaking at the high school commencement of a top recruit; for going to high school classes with recruits; for singing the national anthem at a Lil Dicky concert; for borrowing a chain from Migos; for gifting the Pope a pair of Jordans; for coming out in support of Darth Vader; for drilling the main character on Detroiters in the back of the head with a football; for arguing that Judge Judy should be appointed to the Supreme Court; for announcing a presidential bid with Wale as his veep; for getting way too into pregame routines with his quarterbacks; for running up the score on Rutgers; for using a play I described as “the Wolverine Centipede”; for taking his team paintballing in Italy; for forcing his children to run drills to prepare for trick-or-treating; for using a rare off day to hold the first-down chain at a high school football game; for working out in khakis; for swimming in khakis; for being incredibly pasty in khakis. All of these are, on some level, Mad Libs. (“All right, we need an activity, and then a type of uncomfortable pants.”) Most recently, Harbaugh made headlines for reportedly telling a player that eating chicken is bad for one’s health, because chickens are “nervous birds” whose weak demeanor will infect the human body when consumed. Jim prefers cows—hence his belief that milk and steak are “natural steroids”—even though cows seem pretty nervous, too. Why doesn’t Jim eat lion?
. . .
. . .
The pieces are all there for Harbaugh. He has his quarterback, and all of the players he recruited at sleepovers and birthday parties.
. . .
Everywhere he has gone, he has capitalized on the novelty of his hire and his immediate success. At Michigan that success has waned, and the novelty has worn.
. . .
This is the year for Harbaugh to prove there’s a method to his madness. Because if not, he’s just a weirdo getting paid extravagantly to produce mediocrity for a program used to excellence."

I forgot about most of these. The guy is such a weirdo.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Good read, Link here.

The important stuff:

. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
I crossed over this summer and now hope Jimbo stays at UM forever.

I crossed over this summer and now hope Jimbo stays at UM forever.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I used to loath him as the highly visible savior for Michigan's football program. Now that the national media is recognizing his lack of accomplishments, I'm fine with him staying at Michigan for as long as he wants.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I used to loath him as the highly visible savior for Michigan's football program. Now that the national media is recognizing his lack of accomplishments, I'm fine with him staying at Michigan for as long as he wants.
harbaugh-jim-61915-us-news-twitter-ftr_ltsv2hlk551a1oyjq0bompckr.jpg

images

giphy.gif

Good read, Link here.

The important stuff:

. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .

I'd love to know what excellence they are used to. Losing bowl games annually? Not winning championships?

Good read, Link here.

The important stuff:

. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .

“A program used to excellence”???

In what dictionary is 8-4 defined as excellent?

I'd love to know what excellence they are used to. Losing bowl games annually? Not winning championships?

“A program used to excellence”???

In what dictionary is 8-4 defined as excellent?

I love picking on Michigan, but it's very difficult to argue there isn't a history of excellence with the program that has the most wins all time along with the highest winning percentage. I get that a lot of it came early, but they also have the same number of poll-era national titles as we do.

I love picking on Michigan, but it's very difficult to argue there isn't a history of excellence with the program that has the most wins all time along with the highest winning percentage. I get that a lot of it came early, but they also have the same number of poll-era national titles as we do.

You do realize that if we actually were awarded what we deserved, then we would have quite a few more than they do. They really haven't done alot over the last 50-60 years.

You do realize that if we actually were awarded what we deserved, then we would have quite a few more than they do. They really haven't done alot over the last 50-60 years.

Wasn't there a stat that they haven't had back to back 11 win seasons in well over 100 years? Something like that. Really amazing they get the hype that they do.

I think Michigan will be good this season. I will even say better than MSU. Say what you want, but there’s a lot of talent on that roster and, despite his weirdness, Harbaugh has shown he knows a thing or two about coaching.
However, another poor showing against tOSU will sink the ship for Jimmah.

Reactions: step.eng69

I don't think we should count the pre-helmet era

I think Michigan will be good this season. I will even say better than MSU. Say what you want, but there’s a lot of talent on that roster and, despite his weirdness, Harbaugh has shown he knows a thing or two about coaching.

Sparty will beat Meatchicken like a drum this year.

Reactions: greenpeach
"I can make an argument that Jim Harbaugh's résumé is far more impressive than Nick Saban."
- Colin Cowherd

"I can make an argument that Jim Harbaugh's résumé is far more impressive than Nick Saban."
- Colin Cowherd

But he can’t make an argument that Jim Harbaugh’s resume is more impressive than Nick Saban’s resume.

Good read, Link here.

The important stuff:

. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
They have not had excellence for quite awhile

Isn’t this the exact thing that is posted every single year about Michigan? Yet they always underachieve, he does nothing with the talent he has, and he really hasn’t out coached anyone

Boring? If all the coaches were of the calibre of Saban/Belichick just imagine the competition between teams. Every game would be like #1 vs #2.

Agree to disagree. Variety is the spice of life and there have been plenty of boring ass games between highly ranked teams. Different personalities off the field are fun.

- Colin Cowherd

Have you noticed that suddenly every commentator on FS1 is singing the messiah's praises? Could it be because now they have a deal with the Big Ten & the BTN ? Of course it is ! It's pretty self evident everyone at the network got their talking points from above.

Good read, Link here.

The important stuff:

. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
Nice post cincy I hope they get their asses kicked in every game this year and every year !

Reactions: psuken
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT