ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on the State High program

Thank you posting the article. It brought back very fond memories for me. I attended State High and wrestled on the the team from 83-86. I never got close to wrestling a varsity match in my 3 years but I throughly enjoyed wrestling and the team comraudery. This won’t make some of you happy but I was a sophomore when Rob Koll was a senior. I still vividly remember his epic match against Mark Sidorick at PO on a Friday night. The place was packed and absolutely loud especially during the Koll/Sidorick match. I also remember his huge match against the Corl kid from Bellefonte.....unfortunately he got called for an illegal slam and Corl could not finish....Koll was hot! He won states that year and OW....no one scored a point on him during the tournament. We had a really strong team that year....the varsity went undefeated except tying Clearfield at Clearfield. We had a full JV team and they won most of their matches. Sometimes schools had so many wrestlers the coaches would agree to have an exhibition match for few a non jv wrestlers. I did get a few of those. Jeff Pifer...we graduated the same year....he was definitely a personality and fun to be around. He was a great leg rider. Before practice would start 3 or 4 us would taken on Galen McWilliams (assistant coach). He would always seem to get the upper hand!.....just got done looking at the old yearbook sports section. Remember those days and guys almost like it happened yesterday.

Last edited:
Do Cael and Casey and others associated with the PSU program have boys who will be wrestling for State College anytime soon?

Thank you posting the article. It brought back very found memories for me. I attended State High and wrestled on the the team from 83-86. I never got close to wrestling a varsity match in my 3 years but I throughly enjoyed wrestling and the team comraudery. This won’t make some of you happy but I was a sophomore when Rob Koll was a senior. I still vividly remember his epic match against Mark Sidorick at PO on a Friday night. The place was packed and absolutely loud especially during the Koll/Sidorick match. I also remember his huge match against the Corl kid from Bellefonte.....unfortunately he got called for an illegal slam and Corl could not finish....Koll was hot! He won states that year and OW....no one scored a point on him during the tournament. We had a really strong team that year....the varsity went undefeated except tying Clearfield at Clearfield. We had a full JV team and they won most of their matches. Sometimes schools had so many wrestlers the coaches would agree to have an exhibition match for few a non jv wrestlers. I did get a few of those. Jeff Pifer...we graduated the same year....he was definitely a personality and fun to be around. He was a great leg rider. Before practice would start 3 or 4 us would taken on Galen McWilliams (assistant coach). He would always seem to get the upper hand!.....just got done looking at the old yearbook sports section. Remember those days and guys almost like it happened yesterday.

Did you know Rob’s brother Chris? What was he like in HS?

No...was he older or younger than Rob?

Quite a bit older. He wrestled at PSU in the late 70’s and was the head wrestling coach my senior year at Ridgway in 1978 after our long time and very successful coach was forced to step down.

I graduated with Rob Koll from State High in '84... Classmates all the way back to Boalsburg Elementary. I always root for him and Cornell to do well (as long as it doesn't hurt PSU)

Last edited:
Do Cael and Casey and others associated with the PSU program have boys who will be wrestling for State College anytime soon?

I was wondering the answer to that question also, but was a bit bashful to ask.

Thank you posting the article. It brought back very fond memories for me. I attended State High and wrestled on the the team from 83-86. I never got close to wrestling a varsity match in my 3 years but I throughly enjoyed wrestling and the team comraudery. This won’t make some of you happy but I was a sophomore when Rob Koll was a senior. I still vividly remember his epic match against Mark Sidorick at PO on a Friday night. The place was packed and absolutely loud especially during the Koll/Sidorick match. I also remember his huge match against the Corl kid from Bellefonte.....unfortunately he got called for an illegal slam and Corl could not finish....Koll was hot! He won states that year and OW....no one scored a point on him during the tournament. We had a really strong team that year....the varsity went undefeated except tying Clearfield at Clearfield. We had a full JV team and they won most of their matches. Sometimes schools had so many wrestlers the coaches would agree to have an exhibition match for few a non jv wrestlers. I did get a few of those. Jeff Pifer...we graduated the same year....he was definitely a personality and fun to be around. He was a great leg rider. Before practice would start 3 or 4 us would taken on Galen McWilliams (assistant coach). He would always seem to get the upper hand!.....just got done looking at the old yearbook sports section. Remember those days and guys almost like it happened yesterday.

Send me a PM ....I was in your class . Wrestled on your team .

Reactions: yekrut321
I was wondering the answer to that question also, but was a bit bashful to ask.

Cael, Cody, and Casey all have kids. Not sure of their ages, but I have seen their names listed as participants in NLWC camps. BTW, that is not privileged info. The participants are listed in the NLWC newsletter.

Reactions: Ja1339
Chris was older ... I think he was the oldest kid in the Koll family. I'm pretty sure he wrestled for PSU in the 70s.
I wrestled with Dave Koll who won a PIAA championship in 77 when I was a senior. Coach Pifer was a demanding but fair coach. I remember we had some pretty good teams from 1975-77.

Reactions: danoftw
hasn't Cael said in the past (when someone jokingly refers to his kids getting recruited already) " Casey's boys are the ones we want..." or something along those lines...?

Not surprising. Casey's wife Tara Nott was an Olympic gold medalist in 2000 in weightlifting so their kids have some pretty good athletic genes. All of them would come pretty cheap since I believe PSU employees get a 75% discount on tuition for their kids.

State High Class of 85.......I remember those same memories as discussed above. Rob Koll and the illegal slam against Bellefonte's Corl. Packed houses and passionate fans on both sides of Centre County teams. The Centre County tournament was held at a different school each year and that was a better event most years than the districts. I remember when Rob decided to go to North Carolina and how surprised people were because of them not having much wrestling tradition and his connection to Penn State.

Fun side note......I remember watching Carlton Haselrig wrestle at the Altoona Field House as the only member of the Johnstown team and him winning the State Championship.

District 6 wrestling and the Northeast Region in the 80s produced some legendary and successful wrestlers.

Not surprising. Casey's wife Tara Nott was an Olympic gold medalist in 2000 in weightlifting so their kids have some pretty good athletic genes. All of them would come pretty cheap since I believe PSU employees get a 75% discount on tuition for their kids.
True

I was at Tyrone high school in mid 80's man Stat high PO Clearfield BEA and us were all powers then a lot fun for sure

schevpsu - I was a teammate of Bruce Wallace's for a short while at Bloomsburg. Helluva wrestler and a good guy.

If anyone has fond memories of Andy Bingaman (state high '76 and PSU '81), I'd love to share those with his kids. Coach Pifer and John Hanrahan have shared stories with the kids and me, but I'm always looking for more to pass on to those that knew Andy.

I graduated with Rob Koll from State High in '84... Classmates all the way back to Boalsburg Elementary. I always root for him and Cornell to do well (as long as it doesn't hurt PSU)
Hey who is this. I graduated in 1984. Wrestled at 167 and 184. Message me

Reactions: danoftw
Hey, that is great that you are on the board. Hope your doing well.

Own a restaurant in north Myrtle beach. Come down and visit when on vacation.

I worked in laurel and green belt and lived in silver springs and college park area in early 90’s

I worked in laurel and green belt and lived in silver springs and college park area in early 90’s
I work in Rockville- I received my Master's for UMd. I live in Frederick county now... The closest I could get to PA without an even more horrific commute!

Lol. I worked at the bennigans in green belt and laurel 1990-93. Rockville was blowing up when I lived there.

Which restaurant? I get there now and then.

THe kitchen table restaurant at barefoot on highway 17. Breakfast and lunch. My day is done by 2-3 and I’m off to the beach pool or golf. Or as my daughters say the couch couch
We are on Facebook.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Lol. I worked at the bennigans in green belt and laurel 1990-93. Rockville was blowing up when I lived there.
That's crazy-I was at MD from '91-93! I went to Bennigans inbGreenbelt many times! We also hung out at the old Aerosquadron as well-read outdoor fire pits...MoCo is crazy! I gave never been to Myrtle Beach but will have to add it to my future vacation spots!

Last edited:
Reactions: razpsu
THe kitchen table restaurant at barefoot on highway 17. Breakfast and lunch. My day is done by 2-3 and I’m off to the beach pool or golf. Or as my daughters say the couch couch
We are on Facebook.

Checked your website, food pics look great! I love a good breakfast!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT