ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh ($9 Mil) bumps Saban from the top spot of highest paid coaches

vader_psu

May 29, 2001
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/10/26/college-football-coaches-salaries-jim-harbaugh-nick-saban

1. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan – $9,004,000

2. Nick Saban, Alabama – $6,939,395

3. Urban Meyer, Ohio State – $6,003,000

4. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma – $5,550,000

5. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State – $5,250,000

6. Charlie Strong, Texas – $5,200,000

7. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M – $5,000,000

8. Gus Malzahn, Auburn – $4,725,000

9. Hugh Freeze, Mississippi – $4,700,000

10. James Franklin, Penn State – $4,500,000

Reactions: step.eng69
On the one hand, with as much revenue as Michie football probably generates, if the school feels he's worth it that's their business. On another more basic level, for a school, whose main focus is supposed to be education and research, to pay a coach that much money is obscene.

On the one hand, with as much revenue as Michie football probably generates, if the school feels he's worth it that's their business. On another more basic level, for a school, whose main focus is supposed to be education and research, to pay a coach that much money is obscene.

That Paterno feller was a bargain

Doing the math, UM could have paid Booger Eater $7M making him still the highest paid CFB head coach and used the extra $2M to give about 70 underprivileged kids a full ride. But hey, you can't put a price on football wins, right?!

Reactions: step.eng69
Wasn't there a discussion on this board in the past regarding Saban's contract? IIRC, his contract states he is to be the highest paid college football coach.
Anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

OL

Nope. Saban's contract stipulates that his total comp cannot be lower than the greater of: a) the average total comp of the five highest paid college football coaches; or b) the average total comp of the three highest paid coaches in the SEC

Doing the math, UM could have paid Booger Eater $7M making him still the highest paid CFB head coach and used the extra $2M to give about 70 underprivileged kids a full ride. But hey, you can't put a price on football wins, right?!

The basics of that case could be made for a lot of coaches, not just Harbaugh. While we're at it, let's throw in a whole bunch of AD's and college presidents for good measure.

Thanks for the clarification, Art.

OL

You're welcome. I do seem to recall that some coach, could have been Stoops had a clause similar to the one you mentioned. If it were Big Game Bob, it's long gone, never to reappear.

The basics of that case could be made for a lot of coaches, not just Harbaugh. While we're at it, let's throw in a whole bunch of AD's and college presidents for good measure.
True, but I was just pointing out the magnitude of the difference in the top two. Seriously doubt there is that big a disparity between the top two compensated college presidents or ADs.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/10/26/college-football-coaches-salaries-jim-harbaugh-nick-saban

I believe JH's numbers are a bit misleading. If I remember correctly, a few million dollars was given as a loan to purchase an insurance policy. Upon his death it will be repaid from the death benefit.

I believe JH's numbers are a bit misleading. If I remember correctly, a few million dollars was given as a loan to purchase an insurance policy. Upon his death it will be repaid from the death benefit.

$4 million is toward the insurance. Bringing the salary down to a normal crazy $5 million per season figure.

Do these include endorsements; local radio/TV contracts; use of home and car; other extras?

Winning is everything. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Actually, I should amend that. Winning over Ohio State is everything, in this case.

Do these include endorsements; local radio/TV contracts; use of home and car; other extras?

Generally they do. Believe that Bama's booster organization is paying a considerable portion of the cost of Saban's building a new home and that is not included.

USA Today uses amounts stipulated in the contracts between the coach and the school. These almost always include endorsements, payments for TV and radio appearances, car allowances, country club memberships, etc. Housing allowances aren't all that common.

Last edited:
True, but I was just pointing out the magnitude of the difference in the top two. Seriously doubt there is that big a disparity between the top two compensated college presidents or ADs.

Really? David Williams, the AD at Vandy, makes more that twice as much as Tom Jurich of Louisville, the next highest paid AD, $3.3mm v. $1.4mm.

Looking forward to Michigan getting their money back. :D

Disgusting given that this is all being made off the backs of a "plantation system" using 18-23 year old labor.... Gee NCAA (i.e., University Presidents) and head self-interested scumbag, Mark Emmert, could you tell us again which program here has their priorties phucked up and has a "culture problem"?????

Reactions: WDLion and bjf1991
Generally they do. Believe that Bama's booster organization is paying a considerable portion of the cost of Saban's building a new home and that is not included.

USA Today uses amounts stipulated in the contracts between the coach and the school. These almost always include endorsements, payments for TV and radio appearances, car allowances, country club memberships, etc. Housing allowances aren't all that common.

Don't believe it includes "incentive clauses" such as appearing in CCG, a bowl, 4-Team Invitational Tourney Invite, etc.... Additionally, they not only get an "incentive payment" for appearing, but an additional payment for winning any of the above, etc.... Add it all up and these "annual incentive clauses" can be considerable.

What you're describing is called "Key Employee Insurance" that would be purchased by scUM on Hair-ball.....this type of insurance is paid for by the employer, not the employee, so you're wrong, it would not reduce his annual compensation. The employer is the Beneficiary of the contract, but the premiums are not paid by the employee - they are paid by the employer if it is "Key Employee Insurance".

What the hell kind of insurance costs $4 million dollars?

"Key Employee Insurance" premiums are paid by the employer, not the employee (i.e., Beneficiary is employer, not employee). Additionally, annual premiums for such a Life Insurance Contract are not $4 million per year given Hair-ball's age & health - no way, no how.

Reactions: bjf1991
Disgusting given that this is all being made off the backs of a "plantation system" using 18-23 year old labor.... Gee NCAA (i.e., University Presidents) and head self-interested scumbag, Mark Emmert, could you tell us again which program here has their priorties phucked up and has a "culture problem"?????
You did notice that Franklin was on that list as well, right? If you are going to say that one or two of those programs has a culture problem then that problem exists for pretty much all 10 programs on that list. Maybe you should re-evaluate what data you want to use to support your argument.

If you look at it from a performance point of view, for example, cost per win, PSU paid more per win ($642,000) than Bama paid ($500,000). From that, the argument could be made that in terms of dollars, PSU puts a higher priority on winning than Bama does.

Reactions: rojo36
Leave it to CRM to put PSU into its place. He is as predictable as gravity.

$4 million is toward the insurance. Bringing the salary down to a normal crazy $5 million per season figure.
Does Alabama know that? Because it sure looks like Saban used the full $9 million in calculating his salary using the stipulations in Art's post.

Top of the list, eh? Who says douchebaggery doesn't pay?

If you look at it from a performance point of view, for example, cost per win, PSU paid more per win ($642,000) than Bama paid ($500,000). From that, the argument could be made that in terms of dollars, PSU puts a higher priority on winning than Bama does.
Just so I'm clear, you're saying that the more games a team wins, the less that they emphasize winning? Got it.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
You did notice that Franklin was on that list as well, right? If you are going to say that one or two of those programs has a culture problem then that problem exists for pretty much all 10 programs on that list. Maybe you should re-evaluate what data you want to use to support your argument.

Nice try spinning scUM douche - scUM is paying Hair-ball more than twice what PSU is paying Coach Franklin! Your notion of "paying for wins" and a "win regardless of means" mentality is THE CULTURE PROBLEM moron!!! PSU's Athletic Department is probably in the top five in the nation in terms of "Revenue" and "Size" (i.e., number of sports sponsored, number of athletes, etc....) and Coach Franklin's salary is well below the "average" relative to the size of PSU's Athletic Department (or where PSU places in terms of average annual revenues generated by their football program over the past quarter century, half century, etc.... - which again would be Top 5). scUM is paying their football coach well over DOUBLE the average for Athletic Departments of equivalent size to it! Give me a break with your MORONIC self-justifying "spin" and "nonsense" on the topic which are nothing more than CLEAR EVIDENCE of the culture problem which exists at scUM - this is not a PROFESSIONAL FRANCHISE where the only metric is wins & loses you twit, this is supposed to a COLLEGE COACHING POSITION where the coach is evaluated on far more than wins & loses....and those "metrics" include instilling the "CORE VALUES" of the university in the student-athletes such that they understand that it is an HONOR & PRIVILEGE to represent The University's Uniform, Colors, Student Body and Community in general, not a RIGHT or ENTITLEMENT (hence the reason Coach Franklin suspended the player, who would become the Player of the Game in the 2nd Half - Garrett Sickels, for the 1st Half of the daO$U game this past Saturday for missing Classes the prior week).

Take your bull$hit nonsensical "spin" and propaganda over to the scUM board, because none of us care to hear you stupid bull$hit here!

xxanax_alprazolam_medication170_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gzJnjIU016.jpg

Reactions: crm114psu
Wasn't there a discussion on this board in the past regarding Saban's contract? IIRC, his contract states he is to be the highest paid college football coach.
Anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

OL

Dunno, but I'm sure Saban could get a raise if he'd be willing to relocate to Austin. They'd probably double it for another NC.

Dunno, but I'm sure Saban could get a raise if he'd be willing to relocate to Austin. They'd probably double it for another NC.
If he wanted to he could double it staying right where he is. There is no sum of money that could be offered by another university that Bama would not match.

Don't believe it includes "incentive clauses" such as appearing in CCG, a bowl, 4-Team Invitational Tourney Invite, etc.... Additionally, they not only get an "incentive payment" for appearing, but an additional payment for winning any of the above, etc.... Add it all up and these "annual incentive clauses" can be considerable.

Nope, that's just the guaranteed amount. For the top 20 highest paid college coaches potential bonuses run from just under $500k to nearly $3mm. Most are in the $1mm-1.5mm range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT