ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh suspended from NCAA coaching for one full year

In addition, the NCAA is closing the barn door while the horse is running in the streets.

It will be interesting to see what this predicts in terms of proposed penalties for Stalion-gate.

On the one hand, I'm hopeful that this is showing that the NCAA means business and real, meaningful sanctions will be handed down for blatant, on-the-field cheating.

On the other hand, I'm a bit worried that being hard on Harbaugh with what are essentially meaningless penalties will give the NCAA cover to NOT go hard on Michigan (and yes, I realize the above is for Cheeseburger-gate, not Stalion-gate)

I've mentioned before that the only meaningful punishment would be a post season ban. Other than Moore, everyone else is gone, so "show cause" (like for Harbaugh) does very little. Scholarship reductions don't mean much in the new world of NIL. I'm sure michigan does not care about fines. Which leaves post season bans.

The NCAA has stated they don't like doing this because it punishes athletes who had nothing to do with the violations, but I think I have a solution to this. Put a one year delay in place from when the ban is enacted to when it starts. This gives any athlete who is unhappy with not being able to play in the post-season the opportunity to transfer and give recruits time to decide not to attend Michigan.

I think a 3 year ban is fair -- this is equal to the number of seasons in which they cheated.

One could argue the NCAA doesn't actually own the bowl games or the playoffs so stopping someone from playing could be challenged.
The NCAA has never owned bowl games and has enacted bowl bans many times. While they have never applied a CFP ban, a post-season ban would cover CCG, bowls and CFP.

• Love
Reactions: PSUfiji
Harbaugh's attorney (and I agree completely in terms of legality but not morality).

The NCAA's position

The NCAA has never owned bowl games and has enacted bowl bans many times. While they have never applied a CFP ban, a post-season ban would cover CCG, bowls and CFP.
I am pretty certain this is covered in the NCAA's contract with the Universities.

NCAA showed him. Reminds me of when Pete ran out of USC

Well there is this at least: having seen the handwriting on the wall and bailed, Jim is no longer coaching Michigan...and on the whole that's a good thing for Penn State.

Sherrone Moore is a totally unproven commodity and now steps into one of the most pressurized coaching jobs in the country. It will only take one sub-par season to get his ass on the hot seat and the Wolverine program in a state of discombobulation again...as it was before Harbaugh's hire.

Reactions: PSUfiji
Well there is this at least: having seen the handwriting on the wall and bailed, Jim is no longer coaching Michigan...and on the whole that's a good thing for Penn State.

Sherrone Moore is a totally unproven commodity and now steps into one of the most pressurized coaching jobs in the country. It will only take one sub-par season to get his ass on the hot seat and the Wolverine program in a state of discombobulation again...as it was before Harbaugh's hire.
No doubt. Usc was same way

IIRC, Harbaugh went back to UM to extend his contract before taking the offer from the Chargers. One of these asks was for UM to hold him harmless for illegal or rule-breaking activities. What this means is that most employment contracts have moral clauses that absolve the employer of their contractual obligations if the employee breaks the law or rules. UM would not grant this and Harbaugh took the job in the NFL>

Now we know why this was a deal breaker at UM.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
IIRC, Harbaugh went back to UM to extend his contract before taking the offer from the Chargers. One of these asks was for UM to hold him harmless for illegal or rule-breaking activities. What this means is that most employment contracts have moral clauses that absolve the employer of their contractual obligations if the employee breaks the law or rules. UM would not grant this and Harbaugh took the job in the NFL>

Right, that's consistent with "seeing the handwriting on the wall." Jim knew what was coming down the pike...and so did his employer.

So it's not true that cheaters never prosper. But sometimes they do leave town. And in this case, that's a plus for us.

It will be interesting to see what this predicts in terms of proposed penalties for Stalion-gate.

On the one hand, I'm hopeful that this is showing that the NCAA means business and real, meaningful sanctions will be handed down for blatant, on-the-field cheating.

On the other hand, I'm a bit worried that being hard on Harbaugh with what are essentially meaningless penalties will give the NCAA cover to NOT go hard on Michigan (and yes, I realize the above is for Cheeseburger-gate, not Stalion-gate)

I've mentioned before that the only meaningful punishment would be a post season ban. Other than Moore, everyone else is gone, so "show cause" (like for Harbaugh) does very little. Scholarship reductions don't mean much in the new world of NIL. I'm sure michigan does not care about fines. Which leaves post season bans.

The NCAA has stated they don't like doing this because it punishes athletes who had nothing to do with the violations, but I think I have a solution to this. Put a one year delay in place from when the ban is enacted to when it starts. This gives any athlete who is unhappy with not being able to play in the post-season the opportunity to transfer and give recruits time to decide not to attend Michigan.

I think a 3 year ban is fair -- this is equal to the number of seasons in which they cheated.
Why can't they limit scholarships as counted by the number of players they can have in a recruiting class? If it is 25 limit them to 20 or 15. Limit their transfer portals also. How about this....significantly cut the NIL they have to offer. Point being hit them with penalties that severely hurt their depth for three years.

Yes, post season ban for 3 years but doubt that will happen. May get one year, after all these are Michigan men, the best and brightest this country has to offer from the Harvard of the midwest, gag.

Why can't they limit scholarships as counted by the number of players they can have in a recruiting class? If it is 25 limit them to 20 or 15. Limit their transfer portals also. How about this....significantly cut the NIL they have to offer. Point being hit them with penalties that severely hurt their depth for three years.

Yes, post season ban for 3 years but doubt that will happen. May get one year, after all these are Michigan men, the best and brightest this country has to offer from the Harvard of the midwest, gag.
They can't touch NIL. While the university has programs to enhance NIL money, it is actually between the player and their NIL sponsor.

The others are on the table. Most people feel they'll get a two or three year post season ban. My guess is they'll announce a 3 year and then settle on 2 after some kind of negotiation or appeal.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
They can't touch NIL. While the university has programs to enhance NIL money, it is actually between the player and their NIL sponsor.

The others are on the table. Most people feel they'll get a two or three year post season ban. My guess is they'll announce a 3 year and then settle on 2 after some kind of negotiation or appeal.
Then just limit how many incoming players they can have in a given year. If they typically get 5 or 6 O-linemen then only 3 or whatever it is. I want their depth to take a hit where they have only 2/3 the man power for example vs another program.

Would love a 3 year post season ban. I wonder what these media networks are doing in the background. They want Michigan in the playoffs for ratings so you know they want these penalties minimized.

Reactions: Obliviax
This is the NCAA trying to show they aren't completely useless and powerless while knowing it's a meaningless punishment since Harbaugh is gone and likely not coming back. Just a PR move to issue a strong punishment for someone for which they no longer have any oversight.

Then just limit how many incoming players they can have in a given year. If they typically get 5 or 6 O-linemen then only 3 or whatever it is. I want their depth to take a hit where they have only 2/3 the man power for example vs another program.

Would love a 3 year post season ban. I wonder what these media networks are doing in the background. They want Michigan in the playoffs for ratings so you know they want these penalties minimized.
I agree but with limits going to 105 and the transfer portal being so hotly contested, I wonder if the NCAA is afraid that somebody will "call them" on their authority to limit transfers in a court of law. They are on very thin ice. I just wish the players would unionize so they can get a CBA in place.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Not sure they can limit rosters now because that would end up in court. The NCAA will be playing things safe like this example. Punishing Harbaugh means nothing.

Totally agree...not sure any school in this day and age would ever EXCLUDE a form of moral conduct into a contract..they would be insane not to do so...and Jimbo probably also said..screw you and I'm emptying the treasure chest of coaches...bringing them with me to SD...Michigan needs to be penalized..in some way...they cheated...but to me what is worse..is they lied AND either tried to destroy evidence or refused to talk..thats the stuff that I would think gets the opposing side..no matter who it is...furious and ready for vengeance...any other school watching what is going on ( curious wondering how much work OSU may be doing behind the scenes LOL)...knows that whatever "watch dog" group comes to fruition..NCAA ? Power 5 Conference Self regulation ? a school NOT cooperating..holding back , destroying or hiding evidence...destroys any possible credibility or power of a league/Conference self regulating...if Congress was involved..whoa Nellie !

Why can't they limit scholarships as counted by the number of players they can have in a recruiting class? If it is 25 limit them to 20 or 15.
This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure the idea of limiting roster size (rather than scholarships) would fly because there we be complaints about player safety (i.e. not enough players to safely practice). Scholarships don't mean what they used to because you can "make up the difference" with NIL (i.e. have a walk on who is fully paid from the collective)
Limit their transfer portals also.
Probably not fair to the students, although I guess you could limit portals TO Michigan (so long as you allowed players to leave)
How about this....significantly cut the NIL they have to offer.
Not sure how that would be done and if even possible, but I don't hate the idea.
Point being hit them with penalties that severely hurt their depth for three years.
Completely agree. I think the most likely way we'll see that is via a post season ban. We will see.
Maybe they will "plead it down" from 3 to 1 year but I feel like they are so arrogant they will try to fight this and get fully smacked down.

And this is not even related to the infamous sign-stealing caper.

Jim got out of Dodge while the getting was good...tainted national championship in hand.
Yeah that shit is about to hit the fan too. Those guys in piss colored pants a screwed including some admin people. FBI still investigating the gambling ring they had going on.

No sleepovers. No strippers. No exotic locations for scrimmages.
ebb2e89f-3dc7-40ba-b82c-3d1bb0c2822c_text.gif

Totally agree...not sure any school in this day and age would ever EXCLUDE a form of moral conduct into a contract..they would be insane not to do so...and Jimbo probably also said..screw you and I'm emptying the treasure chest of coaches...bringing them with me to SD...Michigan needs to be penalized..in some way...they cheated...but to me what is worse..is they lied AND either tried to destroy evidence or refused to talk..thats the stuff that I would think gets the opposing side..no matter who it is...furious and ready for vengeance...any other school watching what is going on ( curious wondering how much work OSU may be doing behind the scenes LOL)...knows that whatever "watch dog" group comes to fruition..NCAA ? Power 5 Conference Self regulation ? a school NOT cooperating..holding back , destroying or hiding evidence...destroys any possible credibility or power of a league/Conference self regulating...if Congress was involved..whoa Nellie !
Please. Congress has destroyed evidence as well.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
Reactions: PSU4U
Well, Jimaugh said he did nothing wrong. He didn’t know anything.

There are whispers within NFL circles that Harbaloney could be getting an NFL suspension should the NCAA prove to be right. He told the NFL in an interview prior to getting his current job that he wasn't guilty of anything and in no way connected to an infraction's. Is Harbaloney going to ride that ship all the way to the bottom.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT