ADVERTISEMENT

Have we run a trick play in the CJF era?

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
reading the "wildcat" thread, I got to thinking. I don't recall a trick play, ever. At the same time, we ran a very vanilla offense:
  • No trick plays (which I am not a fan of, BTW)
  • Very little misdirection.
  • One (?) jet sweep?
  • Very little over the middle.
Other than the four turnovers, I thought the offense was acceptable. Not sure we need these plays but might me nice just to keep the opposing defense honest.

reading the "wildcat" thread, I got to thinking. I don't recall a trick play, ever. At the same time, we ran a very vanilla offense:
  • One (?) jet sweep?
Other than the four turnovers, I thought the offense was acceptable. Not sure we need these plays but might me nice just to keep the opposing defense honest.
Successful two point conversion was sort of a trick play as McSorley faked a Statue of Liberty handoff behind his back to Barkley.

Last edited:
I remember at least one Geno Lewis double pass last season - it might have even gone for a touchdown IIRC.

LOL the minute we start running trick plays before we have a solid offense running, Franklin will be vilified for relying on gimmicks, getting too "cute," not focusing on fundamentals, etc.

I remember at least one Geno Lewis double pass last season - it might have even gone for a touchdown IIRC.

Correct, against Northwestern. Lewis dropped/fumbled the ball, picked it up off the bounce and while moving to his right threw a perfect strike for a TD. Honestly, and this is no slam on Hack, may have been the best thrown ball of the year given circumstances.

EDIT: I just re-read your post. I don't think it was a double pass but rather a reverse.

Reactions: BBrown
  • One (?) jet sweep?
We ran several the last couple years. I remember people complaining Franklin was being "gimmicky" his first year

I sent them this one but they are saving it for Michigan (don't let anyone know).

SCAN0158.JPG

Reactions: Obliviax
  • One (?) jet sweep?
That's the one thing about CJF that frustrates me. He does such a great job recruiting play maker's. Then he runs his offenses very conservatively. I think with the players we have you need to open things up.

Sure, the new found running plays where the QB takes 3-5 seconds to handoff. That way the defense has plenty of time to get to the ball carrier. That is the Moorehead offense.

We used to use the shuffle pass. Mike Archie used to throw passes from his halfback position. We have had success with reverses, double reverses end arounds in the past. Ted Kwalick even ran the TE around back in the late 60's. There are a lot of good players at skill positions that could execute some of those plays that may pick up the game or be the difference maker. The passing game has picked up and looked good against Pitt.

That's the one thing about CJF that frustrates me. He does such a great job recruiting play maker's. Then he runs his offenses very conservatively. I think with the players we have you need to open things up.

You mean like the last pass of the Pitt game that most fans are apoplectic about?
Is that what you mean by opening things up?

You mean like the last pass of the Pitt game that most fans are apoplectic about?

Only when it works.

Posters agree to certain strategies only when they work. If they fail, those same posters are adamantly opposed to them.

Last edited:
between this post and the one sayin
Only when it works.

Posters only agree to certain strategies only when they work. If they fail, those same posters are adamantly opposed to them.
Truer words have never been spoken.

The guy ran the wrong route but sure. Tompkins made a nice play down field. When you have inferior players in the trenches that's what you do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT