ADVERTISEMENT

HAVE YOU HEARD???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best post you've ever made.

The truth is out there. He is definitely playing a part, somewhat. He IS a big-time Iowa homer and his judgement does get extremely clouded. However, he is playing a part and the real Ironbird is not the annoying schtick used on here.
👍

Ricky was a legend at cutting weight in college.
That's when rubber rain gear and saunas were mandatory in cutting weight up at Bloomsburg.
I know big guys can lose weight easily but us small guy it was really hard I went from 125 to 96 as low as I could go and back in the day you had to weigh in at the weight you were going to wrestle for the season at the beginning of the yr so I ended up at 103 I tried to keep my weight close to that but was hard!by the end of the season all the weight drop finally caught up to me!

My College coach ALWAYS talked about having "THICK SKIN!" I am STILL trying to figure out how some of you ever wrestled???

It is OK people to joke around and have some fun from time to time.
Are you saying this staring in the mirror? Sounds like your skin isn't that thick have some fun and stop taking it personally. It's ok to be delusional every once in a while lmfao. WE ARE. Your welcome

Ricky was a legend at cutting weight in college.
That's when rubber rain gear and saunas were mandatory in cutting weight up at Bloomsburg.
That sauna at Bloom was great, spent a lot of time in there managing my weight. Met Tony Caravella my freshman year in it swapping stories of my HS wrestling coach. I believe Ricky had a great ability to cut weight, met him in person @ nationals I think in 1988 at Cole Field house, at that time I was still at my fighting weight around 158 lbs @ 5'6" he at at least two inches on me and I swear he was as broad and thick as I was with his weight at 118 lbs. I have no doubt during the off season he was over 150 lbs.

In high school too….
At my high school we didn't need it. The wrestling room was off the locker room with a wall between it and the coal fired boiler that heated the building, on the other side of the locker room was the swimming pool.

Hot and humid it was all the time.

• Wow
Reactions: IRONBIRD
At my high school we didn't need it. The wrestling room was off the locker room with a wall between it and the coal fired boiler that heated the building, on the other side of the locker room was the swimming pool.

Hot and humid it was all the time.

yea we had a workout room with a giant steam pipe next to stairs we ran up and down it was hot as hell football team also used it place really smelled bad! but thats wrestling

To make a point that was brought up on another thread concerning how good the PA State schools were in the 1970s thru 1980s. Ricky Bonomo won his 3 NCAA titles at 118 for Bloom and then Jack Cuvo won the next 2 for ESU at 118. 5 years in a row that weight was dominated by PASAC schools.

To make a point that was brought up on another thread concerning how good the PA State schools were in the 1970s thru 1980s. Ricky Bonomo won his 3 NCAA titles at 118 for Bloom and then Jack Cuvo won the next 2 for ESU at 118. 5 years in a row that weight was dominated by PASAC schools.
We use to wrestled against ESU. I remember Cuvo because one of our best wrestlers was at 118 and he TORCHED him!!! He hd some kind of TD record I believe. Not sure if it was for his school, or for the NCAAs? In any case he was taking down and letting up my teammates in the 1st and built a commanding lead.

Figured match would change some when he chose down in 2nd because our guy was a great leg rider. He got the leg in, but Cuvo tripoded, shook his hips and off he went like a cowboy trying to ride a bucking bronco!!!

I started using that as a counter from that time on, simple and effective.

We use to wrestled against ESU. I remember Cuvo because one of our best wrestlers was at 118 and he TORCHED him!!! He hd some kind of TD record I believe. Not sure if it was for his school, or for the NCAAs? In any case he was taking down and letting up my teammates in the 1st and built a commanding lead.

Figured match would change some when he chose down in 2nd because our guy was a great leg rider. He got the leg in, but Cuvo tripoded, shook his hips and off he went like a cowboy trying to ride a bucking bronco!!!

Cuvo was the best wrestler from his feet that I ever saw. I watched him a lot in high school at Easton win 3 State titles. In college he ran into Bonomo a couple of times and Ricky would typically hit one big move against Cuvo and hang on for win. Cuvo's conditioning was phenomenal. He was All State and All American in cross country.
He went down to Foxcatcher and his whole life changed. Got into it with Easton cops and won a huge lawsuit against Easton a number of years ago. Two Easton cops tried to arrest him, It didn't go to good for the blue shirts, they had to call for backup. I think he filmed the whole incident.
Rovernation probably knows more about the incident.

Last edited:
Cuvo was the best wrestler from his feet that I ever saw. I watched him a lot in high school at Easton win 3 State titles. In college he ran into Bonomo a couple of times and Ricky would typically hit one big move against Cuvo and hang on for win. Cuvo's conditioning was phenomenal. He was All State and All American in cross country.
He went down to Foxcatcher and his whole life changed. Got into with Easton cops and won a huge lawsuit against Easton a number of years ago. Two Easton cops tried to arrest him, It didn't go to good for the blue shirts they had to call for backup. I think he filmed the whole incident.
Rovernation probably knows more about the incident.

From what I've been told, his reputation is not real good and he isn't allowed anywhere near the Easton wrestling room these days.

• Wow
I got to know Cuvo a bit in 90 to 93ish Would go to his wrestling room behind his mom's house and workout. Hell of a wrestler but something was a bit off with him.

• Haha
That sauna at Bloom was great, spent a lot of time in there managing my weight. Met Tony Caravella my freshman year in it swapping stories of my HS wrestling coach. I believe Ricky had a great ability to cut weight, met him in person @ nationals I think in 1988 at Cole Field house, at that time I was still at my fighting weight around 158 lbs @ 5'6" he at at least two inches on me and I swear he was as broad and thick as I was with his weight at 118 lbs. I have no doubt during the off season he was over 150 lbs.
You would of probably been up at Bloomsburg when Don Reese was there. Made it to finals in 1982 losing to another Pennsylvania alumni C.B. Mock wrestling for North Carolina. Even with Ricky's 3 Nationals, Reese has the most wins at Bloomsburg.
I'm certain a lot of people know this, Ricky Bonomo was indirectly part of the Cael PSU hiring. Ricky told Cael that PSU could dominate if he took over the program.

Last edited:
C
You would of probably been up at Bloomsburg when Don Reese was there. Made it to finals in 1982 losing to another Pennsylvania alumni C.B. Mock wrestling for North Carolina. Even with Ricky's 3 Nationals, Reese has the most wins at Bloomsburg.
I'm certain a lot of people know this, Ricky Bonomo was indirectly part of the Cael PSU hiring. Ricky told Cael that PSU could dominate if he took over the program.

C.D. Mock was pretty good too.

giphy.gif

Yep, the spring of 1982 I was student teaching at Bensalem Township HS. Didn't get to follow much wrestling then, and it really messed up my participation in the state and national collegiate powerlifting meets, due to a lack of training facilities, time, and money.

Work sucks.....

Did starfish post something about his Johnson to JB and create another fiasco? I truly am not understanding this? JB is one of the GREATEST AMERICAN wrestlers of ALL -TIME!!! Certainly he is coming to the end of his competitive career, but EVERYONE should be showing him some respect!!!

Did starfish post something about his Johnson to JB and create another fiasco? I truly am not understanding this? JB is one of the GREATEST AMERICAN wrestlers of ALL -TIME!!! Certainly he is coming to the end of his competitive career, but EVERYONE should be showing him some respect!!!
Oh never mind, apparently PD3 stepped in to take care of it!!! I am LMAO, this is not a good look for your team at all!!!

Oh never mind, apparently PD3 stepped in to take care of it!!! I am LMAO, this is not a good look for your team at all!!!
Asked and answered long ago on GIA in the HR days when Vodka politely asked.

Post in thread 'Bo vs DT' https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/bo-vs-dt.275320/post-6611251

I suggest you go re-read that thread. I seriously doubt anyone here is going to respond to a re-hashed rumor made from whole cloth.

No drama to see here. Bo long since built his ATT gym across from DT's M2 Training Center.

Yep, the spring of 1982 I was student teaching at Bensalem Township HS. Didn't get to follow much wrestling then, and it really messed up my participation in the state and national collegiate powerlifting meets, due to a lack of training facilities, time, and money.

Work sucks.....
Back in the good ole days before bad water and crime.

You used too many words. You should have just said this. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Hotshoe
Asked and answered long ago on GIA in the HR days when Vodka politely asked.

Post in thread 'Bo vs DT' https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/bo-vs-dt.275320/post-6611251

I suggest you go re-read that thread. I seriously doubt anyone here is going to respond to a re-hashed rumor made from whole cloth.

No drama to see here. Bo long since built his ATT gym across from DT's M2 Training Center.
WAIT, WHAT!?!?? I am talking about StarFish and JB, how you bring up BO and DT?

I will add, ALL this SHEEEEET talk is BS!!!! The sport will go straight to HELL if it is not brought under control!!!!

I will add, ALL this SHEEEEET talk is BS!!!! The sport will go straight to HELL if it is not brought under control!!!!
Really, what was the PD3 reference to?

Most are taught young, talk is cheap, "sticks and stones," and such. Hype is hype. Trash talk is an attempt to gain some kind of psychological advantage or done just for the fun of it (like the dozens).

Some people are just better at tuning out these things, because they see them for what they are, inconsequential noise.

Last edited:
You get respect when you give respect. In my opinion JB talked shit so it makes sense to talk shit back right.

Reactions: Hotshoe and danoftw
Really, what was the PD3 reference to?

Most are taught young, talk is cheap, "sticks and stones," and such. Hype is hype. Trash talk is an attempt to gain some kind of psychological advantage or done just for the fun of it (like the dozens).

Some people are just better at tuning out these things, because they see them for what they are, inconsequential noise.
PD3 stepped in with a comment aimed at StarFish backing JB. Guess you missed it?
You get respect when you give respect. In my opinion JB talked shit so it makes sense to talk shit back right.
So you are saying that JB started it? Please post what JB said first? What I have now seen was, StarFish said he would "end JBs career." Then StarFish went up a weight and JB responded, "going to be hard to end my career up a weight!"

Then StarFish said his "johnson grew" or something there about!?!?!? Then PD3 stepped in and said he would take care of StarFish for JB.

AND you all say????

Reactions: District four
WAIT, WHAT!?!?!? Where did I say this?????

Also the REAL HULK from away back in the comic books. What most do not know about the REAL HULK is. He kept getting STRONGER as he fought, so in theory, HULK could never be beat!!!

My guess is your BIG OVER PRICED ACADEMY would be at a lower level then our top Public "skools" !!!!

OH BOY are you in for a surprise!!!!

Only the STRETCH HULK, good for grip work!

Very nice
"Grip Work"? That's what they're calling it now? :). Gotta slow it down once you start needing glasses. :)

• Haha
I can't find it now but there's a YouTube clip going around with Willie Saylor of Easton and I think it's the District 2 finals at 106 from back in the day. I'll try to relocate it

Be like this all the time.

and not like this

PD3 stepped in with a comment aimed at StarFish backing JB. Guess you missed it?

So you are saying that JB started it? Please post what JB said first? What I have now seen was, StarFish said he would "end JBs career." Then StarFish went up a weight and JB responded, "going to be hard to end my career up a weight!"

Then StarFish said his "johnson grew" or something there about!?!?!? Then PD3 stepped in and said he would take care of StarFish for JB.

AND you all say????
It all started with JB stating he would go for his bad knee during nationals. You forget about that?

Reactions: mcpat
and not like this
1) I am NOT writing the crap!!!
2) See YOUR post bellow!!!
It all started with JB stating he would go for his bad knee during nationals. You forget about that?
OK, I am not seeing where this is out of line. If by "go after it" he means attacking LEGALLY and making StarFish show he can deal with it? Then that is a perfectly fine statement.

I have to believe that is what JB meant and NOT to try and attack it just to hurt him with say a kick type foot sweep. It is part of the sport and I have been on both sides of it.

Had kids attacking my hurt ankle, hand, etc.... I remember tight waisting the hell out of a kid with a hurt rib once when I was on top. He was trying to go after my hurt leg when I was on bottom. Was a WAR of attrition with us both in a lot of pain. Happy to say I won!
He didn’t watch the NCAA finals. As an Iowa fan, why would he?
UH, and you said "be like this, and do NOT be like this^^^^^^ right!?!??!?!!

Do not forget about the IOWA RECORD of finalists which will NEVER be broken and is STILL rolling!!!

1) I am NOT writing the crap!!!
2) See YOUR post bellow!!!

OK, I am not seeing where this is out of line. If by "go after it" he means attacking LEGALLY and making StarFish show he can deal with it? Then that is a perfectly fine statement.

I have to believe that is what JB meant and NOT to try and attack it just to hurt him with say a kick type foot sweep. It is part of the sport and I have been on both sides of it.

Had kids attacking my hurt ankle, hand, etc.... I remember tight waisting the hell out of a kid with a hurt rib once when I was on top. He was trying to go after my hurt leg when I was on bottom. Was a WAR of attrition with us both in a lot of pain. Happy to say I won!

UH, and you said "be like this, and do NOT be like this^^^^^^ right!?!??!?!!

Do not forget about the IOWA RECORD of finalists which will NEVER be broken and is STILL rolling!!!
I'm no debating whether he should or should not go after star s knee however it did start the shit talking is what I'm saying. If I have an injured knee and someone says they are coming after it I'm spitting back I don't give a shit who likes it or not. That's my point

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT