ADVERTISEMENT

Heard on Sports radio in Dayton area today (re: Michigan)

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Apparently 11 Warriors (OSU site) is reporting NCAA has told Michigan what their cheating punishment will be.
11 Warriors saying no playoff eligibility for 2 yrs beginning in 2025 season. No mention of vacating Football Championship or wins. If true, slap on the wrist.

Apparently 11 Warriors (OSU site) is reporting NCAA has told Michigan what their cheating punishment will be.
11 Warriors saying no playoff eligibility for 2 yrs beginning in 2025 season. No mention of vacating Football Championship or wins. If true, slap on the wrist.

Why would it start after 2025 Season - two years removed from the cheating that went on for years prior to it being discovered??? That makes zero sense whatsoever and demonstrates yet again what a disgrace CFB and the NCAA are - zero integrity.

Why would it start after 2025 Season - two years removed from the cheating that went on for years prior to it being discovered??? That makes zero sense whatsoever and demonstrates yet again what a disgrace CFB and the NCAA are - zero integrity.
That is what they are reporting. I have nothing else to tell you. They could have the start time wrong.

Even that seems unlikely--they definitely aren't going to vacate the title--we already knew that.

Should they turn back the hands of time to begin their penalty?

Didn't realize you had to turn back the hands of time to begin any sanction this year. BTW, they can turn back the hands of time by vacating earlier wins including their CFP title game win.
If they didn't already announce it then it won't impact 2024. I'm actually shocked that this would indicate we hear something before 2025

I work with a woman from Michigan who loves the Detroit Lions and wears UM (a Wal Mart Wolverine).

I chided her pretty bad about the whole illegal scouting/sign stealing/Harbaugh is at least unethical and complicit in all this and championship is tainted (emphasis on TAINT).

She doesn't believe anything b ad was done....all part of the game....Michigan was just smarter and ahead of the curve and better than everyone else. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

She is correct that they had a lot of really good players and were well coached. But many players could be great if they knew what plays were coming.

The Wolverines shouldn't get to keep their Natty and 2 years of no playoffs plus some sort of scholly reduction based on the recruiting stuff.

Michigan against everybody will continue as they try and do an end around on whatever the facts are (lying/ deceiving investigators/paying guys to film sidelines).

Screw 'em- hope they reap what they sew. Players deserved better....

as is the case with "game of phone", i'm afraid rick in dayton is mistaken...the rumor circulating, is a 1 or 2 season post season bowl ban, there is zero mention of a playoff ban..why, you ask?..simple, the ncaa has zero control over who the cfp invites to the playoff, it's an invitational where the ncaa has no control..this was demonstrated by the cfp committee's refusal to get involved with signgate during the 2024 season..if enacted, it would only preclude bowl participation outside of the cfp....basically, no bowl for UM if they failed to get into the playoff..hard to believe these rumors, the NOA hasn't been delivered to UM, and historically, an NOA only lays out the accusations..there isn't any mention of punishments until the NOA is sent out and the school has responded..even after any punishments are announced, the school has the right to appeal to the board of infractions..this will be a long process, any punishments won't be in effect until 2025-2026

The article.

I work with a woman from Michigan who loves the Detroit Lions and wears UM (a Wal Mart Wolverine).

I chided her pretty bad about the whole illegal scouting/sign stealing/Harbaugh is at least unethical and complicit in all this and championship is tainted (emphasis on TAINT).

She doesn't believe anything b ad was done....all part of the game....Michigan was just smarter and ahead of the curve and better than everyone else. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

She is correct that they had a lot of really good players and were well coached. But many players could be great if they knew what plays were coming.

The Wolverines shouldn't get to keep their Natty and 2 years of no playoffs plus some sort of scholly reduction based on the recruiting stuff.

Michigan against everybody will continue as they try and do an end around on whatever the facts are (lying/ deceiving investigators/paying guys to film sidelines).

Screw 'em- hope they reap what they sew. Players deserved better....
It's always weird that people want a title vacated--it doesn't change anything anyone saw--it's an asterisk that really means nothing.
Same thing I said when Paterno's victories were vacated...they all still happened. Stating otherwise never changes what we saw happen.

Reactions: indy1203
Reactions: lazydave841
It's always weird that people want a title vacated--it doesn't change anything anyone saw--it's an asterisk that really means nothing.
Same thing I said when Paterno's victories were vacated...they all still happened. Stating otherwise never changes what we saw happen.

Agreed. Rule them ineligible going forward. Take away scholarships for future teams. Limit their TV appearances. Redistribute the money they are going to make to others in the conference.

Or whatever they deem worthy for what they found.

sure, if you think 11 warriors is a reputable source...if you read their board, PSU is commonly referred to as ped state

It's merely the link to the topic of discussion. It really doesn't state anything of note. It's conjecture like any of us here.

It's merely the link to the topic of discussion. It really doesn't state anything of note. It's conjecture like any of us here.
that's fine, but the whole thread got started by the op stating,.."heard on 11 warriors"...the NOA hasn't been delivered, nobody that's posting an article or tweet knows anything,lol..might as well post a link to a UM board with a counter article,lol....what's next, quotes from nevada buck?

that's fine, but the whole thread got started by the op stating,.."heard on 11 warriors"...the NOA hasn't been delivered, nobody that's posting an article or tweet knows anything,lol..might as well post a link to a UM board with a counter article,lol....what's next, quotes from nevada buck?

Balas (on3 Michigan editor) has a post, but it's behind paywall. Not sure if they posted first or responded.

Balas (on3 Michigan editor) has a post, but it's behind paywall. Not sure if they posted first or responded.
yes, and the UM fans are very vocal about balas being unreliable, some say he posts when he's been drinking..my point stands, until the NOA is sent, anything being put out there is made up bs...this whole thread has been opining about rumors reporting on gossip repeating fan fiction from partisan boards..total waste, lol

Nope but they should get notified by Thursday of this week what the real allegations are after that there is a process to get to the sanctions whatever they will be.

as is the case with "game of phone", i'm afraid rick in dayton is mistaken...the rumor circulating, is a 1 or 2 season post season bowl ban, there is zero mention of a playoff ban..why, you ask?..simple, the ncaa has zero control over who the cfp invites to the playoff, it's an invitational where the ncaa has no control..this was demonstrated by the cfp committee's refusal to get involved with signgate during the 2024 season..if enacted, it would only preclude bowl participation outside of the cfp....basically, no bowl for UM if they failed to get into the playoff..hard to believe these rumors, the NOA hasn't been delivered to UM, and historically, an NOA only lays out the accusations..there isn't any mention of punishments until the NOA is sent out and the school has responded..even after any punishments are announced, the school has the right to appeal to the board of infractions..this will be a long process, any punishments won't be in effect until 2025-2026
What you are saying makes sense however.. the Playiff committee has to also make a decision.. the worse thing I see in this whole Michigan scandal.. is that Harbaugh refused to cooperate..that sent a very loud message to any authorities.. “
screw you.. I don’t have to share anything..”… anyone.. person , organization etc that is either placing rules.. or going to establish rules and a process ie Power 5 Conferences.. can’t let any institution of its members say.. I’m not going to comply.. Harbaugh.. Michigan IMO put their foot in the ground..but.. at what long term cost ?

What you are saying makes sense however.. the Playiff committee has to also make a decision.. the worse thing I see in this whole Michigan scandal.. is that Harbaugh refused to cooperate..that sent a very loud message to any authorities.. “
screw you.. I don’t have to share anything..”… anyone.. person , organization etc that is either placing rules.. or going to establish rules and a process ie Power 5 Conferences.. can’t let any institution of its members say.. I’m not going to comply.. Harbaugh.. Michigan IMO put their foot in the ground..but.. at what long term cost ?

Again, let's compare what FIFA (a real Governing Organization of a sport) did to Canada's Women's Soccer Team (the defending Olympic Gold Medal Team) to what the NCAA (a fake and meaningless supposed "Governing Organization" of CFB, and college sports in general) did to scUM for IDENTICAL, and far more pervasive, cheating in the case of scUM (illegal scouting of future opponents). It's pretty clear that the sport of CFB has zero integrity and is rife with cheating and corruption from cheating teams, corrupt Conference front offices, corrupt officiating, etc.... it's a complete cesspool with scUM and Hairball as the Poster Children of the cesspool.

Again, let's compare what FIFA (a real Governing Organization of a sport) did to Canada's Women's Soccer Team (the defending Olympic Gold Medal Team) to what the NCAA (a fake and meaningless supposed "Governing Organization" of CFB, and college sports in general) did to scUM for IDENTICAL, and far more pervasive, cheating in the case of scUM (illegal scouting of future opponents). It's pretty clear that the sport of CFB has zero integrity and is rife with cheating and corruption from cheating teams, corrupt Conference front offices, corrupt officiating, etc.... it's a complete cesspool with scUM and Hairball as the Poster Children of the cesspool.
If that's the case, and it is, then the other schools shouldn't play the role of the lamb going to the slaughter. Rather, they should employ the same means if not more aggressive ones. We all know that it's the Wild, Wild West, and I actually have a grudging respect for a program like Michigan that realized this and took full advantage of it.

I've read this from a lot of different people and just frankly isn't correct (re: CFP)

The NCAA has had zero relationship with bowl games, but has always had the option (and has exercised it) to enact bowl bans as punishment. It's like saying a parent doesn't operate a Taylor Swift concert so they cannot forbid their child from going. It's just silly logic.

They have the option of banning any team from ANY post-season play. They may or may not exercise that option. I think they were hesitant to do it last year because had they put post-season bans in place without following their investigation/enforcement procudure to a T that would open them up to lawsuits. If there is a post-season ban, it will absolutely include the CFP.

Reactions: psu00
Agreed. Rule them ineligible going forward. Take away scholarships for future teams. Limit their TV appearances. Redistribute the money they are going to make to others in the conference.

Or whatever they deem worthy for what they found.
You can't realistically limit TV appearances for contractual and $$ reasons (i.e. that would actually hurt the rest of the conference). I don't think this is possible, but would be interesting to see them ban them from hosting home games for a year. Huge financial impact to the university.

I'm also a little skeptical (in the current NIL climate) that scholarship reductions will have a huge impact.

I think a multi-year post-season ban (three to five years) would be fair. I think that would discourage any recruits from going there and would set the program back decades. The ban won't be that long (most likely 1 to 2 years)

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
And the NCAA should not have waited on investigations to be completed and just levied a penalty on the spot. Kinda like they did with PSU, right?
The NCAA learned a lot from their unjust and illegal actions against PSU. This is (part of) why they took no action against USC, UM, MSU or OSU for their sexual abuse scandals (even though those directly involved NCAA atheletes and fall under the NCAA jurisdiction in a way that PSU did not).

You can't realistically limit TV appearances for contractual and $$ reasons (i.e. that would actually hurt the rest of the conference). I don't think this is possible, but would be interesting to see them ban them from hosting home games for a year. Huge financial impact to the university.

I'm also a little skeptical (in the current NIL climate) that scholarship reductions will have a huge impact.

I think a multi-year post-season ban (three to five years) would be fair. I think that would discourage any recruits from going there and would set the program back decades. The ban won't be that long (most likely 1 to 2 years)
UM will get one, two years max. UM is the defending natty and the NCAA is going to phone it in. And will rosters going up to 105, if by chance the NCAA would doc them five or so, would be meaningless.

UM will get one, two years max. UM is the defending natty and the NCAA is going to phone it in. And will rosters going up to 105, if by chance the NCAA would doc them five or so, would be meaningless.
I agree, although I think a 2 year post-season ban would have a pretty massive impact on recruiting and roster retention (i.e. I think you'd see a mass exodus via the portal).

Reactions: Obliviax
I agree, although I think a 2 year post-season ban would have a pretty massive impact on recruiting and roster retention (i.e. I think you'd see a mass exodus via the portal).
one year would not because those kids are already on the team (2024 post-season ban). 2025 may affect portal transfers but the classes are pretty much set.

you can't just make up sanctions out of whole cloth, especially when 3rd parties would go to court to protect their monetary interests..tenn didn't get a bowl ban, and they had 18 level 1 violations and over 200 level 2..the ncaa won't go outside of precedence that they themselves set in the past..they were threatened with lawsuits by the tenn AG and legislature, pretty sure at least 1 UM slappie in the legislature would move to protect the flagship state univ..harbaugh will get a show cause, as will stallions..they will pay a few million in fines and will get probation..asu got a bowl ban because they self imposed, UM will not do that...

I've read this from a lot of different people and just frankly isn't correct (re: CFP)

The NCAA has had zero relationship with bowl games, but has always had the option (and has exercised it) to enact bowl bans as punishment. It's like saying a parent doesn't operate a Taylor Swift concert so they cannot forbid their child from going. It's just silly logic.

They have the option of banning any team from ANY post-season play. They may or may not exercise that option. I think they were hesitant to do it last year because had they put post-season bans in place without following their investigation/enforcement procudure to a T that would open them up to lawsuits. If there is a post-season ban, it will absolutely include the CFP.
cfp is a separate entity with competing interests, they are not beholden to the ncaa...they "could" follow a request from the ncaa, but they did just name warde manuel as the next chairman of the cfp committee..do you think the UM AD will move to ban his own team?..

cfp is a separate entity with competing interests, they are not beholden to the ncaa...they "could" follow a request from the ncaa, but they did just name warde manuel as the next chairman of the cfp committee..do you think the UM AD will move to ban his own team?..
You misunderstand. The CFP *could* absolutely invite a team with a post-season ban (in the same way the Duke's Mayo Bowl could).

BUT Michigan would have to decline the invitation because they are bound (as a member organization) to what the NCAA decides as punishment.

you can't just make up sanctions out of whole cloth, especially when 3rd parties would go to court to protect their monetary interests..tenn didn't get a bowl ban, and they had 18 level 1 violations and over 200 level 2..the ncaa won't go outside of precedence that they themselves set in the past..they were threatened with lawsuits by the tenn AG and legislature, pretty sure at least 1 UM slappie in the legislature would move to protect the flagship state univ..harbaugh will get a show cause, as will stallions..they will pay a few million in fines and will get probation..asu got a bowl ban because they self imposed, UM will not do that...
This is extremely wishful thinking on your part.

Just like there was saber rattling about how Michigan would sue over the Harbaugh suspension (and then didn't because they were clearly in the wrong), they will not sue over a post-season ban which is entirely appropriate for the violations committed.

A post-season ban for UM is coming.

I do agree with the consensus...TV appearances being limited really isn't in play there's too much money involved.

I don't even think a playoff ban happens if the challenge this. I think it will just be "don't do it again"...but if you do we still won't do anything meaningful because Michigan and the Big Ten are way more powerful than the NCAA.

No, I heard it on the radio that 11 Warriors was reporting. Read my thread title. And I didn't say it was factual. Simply something I heard on the radio. Like you, I had no idea at the time what 11 Warriors source was but we see in the article they're sighting a source who is also speculating.

It would be nice to see a ban from the playoffs and bowls for a couple years so no post season. I also would like to see a fine of some sort like withholding a portion of their TV revenue like $10 million and redistributing that to the other conference members. They need to be punished but who knows if anything happens to them beyond a slap on the wrist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT