ADVERTISEMENT

Hodge Trophy - Zain?

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011
One of the criteria for the Hodge is career oriented.

Criteria for the award includes a wrestler’s record, number of pins, dominance on the mat, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart.

Many see Dieringer as the favorite, in part, because of the past credentials criterion. Of course, we're all pulling for Zain. It isn't purely a case of homerism either. You can make a strong argument for Zain to win. At least, it seems like a tough decision. 1) Record - it's a wash; 2)number of pins - without looking it up I believe Zain; 3)dominance on mat - Zain; 4)past credentials - Dieringer; 5)quality of competition - I'm calling it a wash, although this might be slightly in Dieringer's favor; 6)sportsman/citizenship and heart - so subjective and I don't know enough about either person to make a reasonable judgement. Looking at the criteria, how do others evaluate Zain's chances?

Zain's NCAA performance was special. Tech Fall, Fall, Fall, Fall, Major Decision - 28.5 team points. He suffocated every guy he wrestled. He just keeps getting better.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
5) Quality of competition. That one's interesting, because Zain pretty much obliterated the field. Is that from lack of quality completion or was Zain just light years better than the field? Either way, when you major a previously unbeaten wrestler, in the finals, that's darn impressive.

5) Quality of competition. That one's interesting, because Zain pretty much obliterated the field. Is that from lack of quality completion or was Zain just light years better than the field? Either way, when you major a previously unbeaten wrestler, in the finals, that's darn impressive.
I've seen other places where posters have cited quality of competition as an advantage for Dieringer. That is a tough one.

A 3 time national champ who has pretty much dominated the last 2 years. Ringer presents a formidable resume to the voters.

Reactions: T J and Onceafish
I think Zain should win hands down, but I think they will give it to Ringer because of what he has done in his career.

Zain is awesome, but Ringer deserves it based upon his resume. If Zain keeps dominating like this, he will win the next 2 years.

I agree that Ringer probably should/will win it based on the career he's had, and that it's not just based on one year. That being said, I think Zain may win the next two - with competition only from IMar. Upsets happen, but I'm not feeling like a nutjob or too much of a homer to say he may well finish his career with his only losses being two to Stieber and one to Port.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Next year may be Gabe Dean, 3rd to Ruth then 1-1-1.

Hwt seems to be the place in recent memory where attempts at being a 3x champs go to die....so Dean should be ok,

His loss to boyd gives the field hope albeit when he was not 100% its still hope.

I agree that Ringer probably should/will win it based on the career he's had, and that it's not just based on one year. That being said, I think Zain may win the next two - with competition only from IMar. Upsets happen, but I'm not feeling like a nutjob or too much of a homer to say he may well finish his career with his only losses being two to Stieber and one to Port.

The conversation about past credentials or past performance uses faulty logic IMHO. I'd prefer to see the career performance only come into play if you have multiple candidates who had virtually identical seasons. The Hodge should be for the best wrestler for an individual season. It shouldn't be a career award.

In my humble opinion, if Zain clearly had the better season than Ringer, he should win. If they were really close, then I'd agree, the tiebreaker should go to Ringer for career achievement.

In college football we have the Heisman and basketball there's the Wooden award, both for the best performer for a single season. Why should wrestling be different?

So while I agree that Ringer will probably win, I respectfully disagree with this logic.

ed r. went 3,1,1,1 with 3 career losses. he beat an undefeated 1 seed in the finals by dec. his senior year.. he did deserve and did not win the Hodge

alex d. went 3,1,1,1 with 3 career losses. he beat an undefeated 2 seed in the finals by dec. his senior year.. ??????

ed r. went 3,1,1,1 with 3 career losses. he beat an undefeated 1 seed in the finals by dec. his senior year.. he did deserve and did not win the Hodge

alex d. went 3,1,1,1 with 3 career losses. he beat an undefeated 2 seed in the finals by dec. his senior year.. ??????
SR David Taylor won over Ruth. Who's the 4x finalist/2x champ/former Hodge winner to beat out Ringer?

Hwt seems to be the place in recent memory where attempts at being a 3x champs go to die....so Dean should be ok,

His loss to boyd gives the field hope albeit when he was not 100% its still hope.
I think we just got a prediction of Nevills over Snyder in 2018.

The conversation about past credentials or past performance uses faulty logic IMHO. I'd prefer to see the career performance only come into play if you have multiple candidates who had virtually identical seasons. The Hodge should be for the best wrestler for an individual season. It shouldn't be a career award.

In my humble opinion, if Zain clearly had the better season than Ringer, he should win. If they were really close, then I'd agree, the tiebreaker should go to Ringer for career achievement.

In college football we have the Heisman and basketball there's the Wooden award, both for the best performer for a single season. Why should wrestling be different?

So while I agree that Ringer will probably win, I respectfully disagree with this logic.
Like it or not, Ja13339, a wrestler's past creditials are part of the equation. Not my logic, it's part of the criteria already in place. (In this case, I wish it weren't - for Zain's sake.)

SR David Taylor won over Ruth. Who's the 4x finalist/2x champ/former Hodge winner to beat out Ringer?
there is not, (imar 2x, cox 2x, dean 2x they are all underclassmen) but their careers are very similar.... Ruth did have a loss his senior year to a freshman that he pinned and then beat in the semi's at nationals. that is why taylor won the hodge.

Your preference ignores the human nature of voters. History says they'll choose a senior when a deserving one exists. Ringer might not be "the" deserving candidate but certainly is "one."

Regarding the Heisman, that award has a sketchy at best record of going to the actual best player. One apparent criterion for getting votes is having a fake girlfriend.

Your preference ignores the human nature of voters. History says they'll choose a senior when a deserving one exists. Ringer might not be "the" deserving candidate but certainly is "one."

Regarding the Heisman, that award has a sketchy at best record of going to the actual best player. One apparent criterion for getting votes is having a fake girlfriend.

Manti Te'o got Heisman votes? Wow.

I've always wondered how much Ed's dui cost him in the difficult/impossible to quantify sportsmanship/citizenship Hodge criteria.

Both Zain and Deiringer are deserving of the Hodge Award. If Deiringer wins the award it won't be something anyone should be upset about. He's been one of the most dominating 3x champs that the NCAA has ever seen. If Retherford wins the award he would also be deserving.

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT