ADVERTISEMENT

How much credence do we give to this report?!

Notre Dame plays A&M on Saturday Night to open the season!

How soon do u think Notre Dame joins the Big 10 at this point?

I think the ND angle is a little new news on A&M but A&M have been having on and off again third party talks with the Big 10 for about a year. It's been no secret that the Big 10 wants to be in the state of Texas with one of the right schools. At this point A&M would be their 1st choice followed by TCU.

I am not sure I believe it. Notre Dame is locked into both an NBC contract and an ACC agreement. Texas A&M may be upset about the Texas move to the SEC, but I have to believe their alumni are more interested in playing Texas, LSU, and Arkansas than PSU, OSU, and Washington. And I doubt such a school at the caliber of A&M would allow their hatred for one school to create an away game living hell for their student athletes .

Reactions: psu1969a and psu00
I am not sure I believe it. Notre Dame is locked into both an NBC contract and an ACC agreement. Texas A&M may be upset about the Texas move to the SEC, but I have to believe their alumni are more interested in playing Texas, LSU, and Arkansas than PSU, OSU, and Washington. And I doubt such a school at the caliber of A&M would allow their hatred for one school to create an away game living hell for their student athletes .
I'm not sure that I buy ND yet either although eventually I think they are forced to join a conference. Right now, why would they? I'd have to believe that their own TV deal and exposure are more competitive and with the 12-team playoff and their not in a conference schedule, they are practically an automatic bid every year now.

Getting TAMU would be an incredible coup for the Big 10. College Station is nestled between the three population centers of Houston, Austin and San Antonio. They have a great fan base, massive resources and the fourth largest stadium in college football. Texas has an almost limitless pool of high school talent, and as a stand alone would be the 8th largest economy in the world. What’s not to like?

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
One article mentioned it a few weeks back, but it said ND is happy currently. No, they can't get an autobid, but they don't have to win a ccg to get into the playoff either. That, theoretically, allows them to schedule how they choose and potentially ride their brand into the playoff vs playing a tougher overall conference schedule and having to qualify that way.

Until they get left out, I don't think they budge until the money pot is too big to say no to.

What is a potential A&M buyout? I've never heard it discussed.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
One article mentioned it a few weeks back, but it said ND is happy currently. No, they can't get an autobid, but they don't have to win a ccg to get into the playoff either. That, theoretically, allows them to schedule how they choose and potentially ride their brand into the playoff vs playing a tougher overall conference schedule and having to qualify that way.

Until they get left out, I don't think they budge until the money pot is too big to say no to.

What is a potential A&M buyout? I've never heard it discussed.
I think ND joins sooner than later. I'm not convinced CCGs will last.

Reactions: lazydave841
I think ND joins sooner than later. I'm not convinced CCGs will last.
I think quite the opposite. I don’t think the P2 will want to share playoff revenue with the rest. I think each power conference, each sitting in the range of 20–24 schools, will eventually have their own tournaments, and then a Super Bowl so to speak between the two. There’s too much money to be made to share with the big 12, ACC remnants, and the group of five conferences who just dilute it all.

I think quite the opposite. I don’t think the P2 will want to share playoff revenue with the rest. I think each power conference, each sitting in the range of 20–24 schools, will eventually have their own tournaments, and then a Super Bowl so to speak between the two. There’s too much money to be made to share with the big 12, ACC remnants, and the group of five conferences who just dilute it all.
No I agree with that. I just think ND and a couple others join. The CC games die. And we have an SEC/Big Ten playoff.

I am not sure I believe it. Notre Dame is locked into both an NBC contract and an ACC agreement.

The NBC contract is a non issue. It's through 2029 but since NBC is already carrying Big Ten games it is actually a pretty natural fit. Notre Dame would just not partake in their football portion of the TV revenue while the NBC contract is still in effect but would keep their NBC revenue. Or there could be some horse trading where NBC gets alternative Big Ten games to allow for Notre Dame home games to appear on other networks.

ACC would obviously be the bigger issue but since ND football isn't involved, it would be a lot less in terms of buyouts and other entanglements. And if FSU/Clemson succeed in wrecking the GOR then it wouldn't be much of a barrier at all.

ND does not like the fact that they can't be a 1-4 seed. That could burn them at some point then maybe they do something. I still think they are in no hurry and will let their current NBC contract play out.

And I doubt such a school at the caliber of A&M would allow their hatred for one school to create an away game living hell for their student athletes .
I don't know about that, A&M really, really dislikes UT. I can't think of any equivalent for PSU. In the Big 10 maybe only Sparty's dislike for UM would be somewhat comparable. That said, I don't really see it happening anytime soon. UT and A&M would be the only programs bringing enough value to make it worthwhile to expand into Texas IMO.

I've always viewed A&M as similar in a lot of ways to PSU. Large campus, enrollment, stadium, very passionate alumni, located in the middle of nowhere (but closer to major metros than PSU), good engineering program, etc.

Last edited:
I don't know about that, A&M really, really dislikes UT. I can't think of any equivalent for PSU. In the Big 10 maybe only Sparty's dislike for UM would be somewhat comparable. That said, I don't really see it happening anytime soon. UT and A&M would be the only programs bringing enough value to make it worthwhile to expand into Texas IMO.

I've always viewed A&M as similar in a lot of ways to PSU. Large campus, enrollment, stadium, very passionate alumni, located in the middle of nowhere (but closer to major metros than PSU), good engineering program, etc.
Pitt's dislike of PSU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT