ADVERTISEMENT

HURRICANES-Degrees of Destruction

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 75
Since we are in the hurricane season, thought it appropriate to include a few tid-bits of information on the calculations of pressures created by various wind speeds and the Degree of Destruction generated.

A typical adult's body has a projected frontal area = 8 sq. ft.
Wind pressure developed by 180 mph wind speed = 80 psf
Therefore:
If you were standing outside during this event, you would have to resist 640 lbs +/- of load (two Pro-DL) [8 sq.ft. x 80 psf = 640 lbs]

Several years ago, I spent four days in Albany, NY studying wind science. The classes included wind speeds, wind pressures and their impact on structures.
the classes were taught by Drs. James R. McDonald and Kishor C. Mehta, both were head of the Steering Committee on DOD.

The project (DOD) was conducted under the auspices of the Wind Science and Engineering Center at Texas Tech University. Drs. James R. McDonald and Kishor C. Mehta are Co-PIs on the project.

I believe you will find the first link below very interesting; it deals with the degrees of destruction on many different houses, buildings, trees, etc. and the damage caused by various wind speeds.
View Pages in the appendix A-1 to A-66.

The second
link is a graph of wind speed vs. pounds of pressure per sq ft

The third link is a typical calculation of wind speed to find wind pressure.

LINKs:
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ef-ttu.pdf

My intent was to present the Degree of Destruction of different buildings due to various wind speeds.
View Pages in the appendix A-1 to A-66.

LINK:
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ef-ttu.pdf

Picture3.png

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Reactions: psu00
I am currently in pa so I can't look at window spec sheets. However, on new construction there is debate about the value of hurricane windows versus none hurricane windows (about $30,000 difference in cost). I have talked to contractors and others about this.
If I recall correctly, regular windows are rated to withstand 140 mph winds, similar to hurricane windows. The difference being impact resistance from flying debris. Being inland about 40 miles wind resistance does not seem to be an issue.
Is the $30,000 difference in price worth it. We did not think so. We were given heavy bulky hurricane shutters which we have not used in the 3 hurricanes since owning in fl.
My wife grew up in Maderia Beach and lived in a house on a canel that was effected by a storm surge but not wind before the current building codes.

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
WOW......$30,000 difference, that's a lot of zeros.
If, per chance we ever get a cracked or lost window we will consider replacing them individually with hurricane windows.
It is amazing to see reactions of people during these events. We are 50-60 feet above sea level and not in a flood zone. Debby dumped 20 inches of rain in about 36 hours and no problems. There were some flooded roads near us and some folks (not in out neigborhood but near by). People in our neighborhood are still asking if they should have flood insurance.
I was also away during Ian which devastated areas south of us and an a hole told my wife "you were damn lucky". Not we were damn lucky but you.

If, per chance we ever get a cracked or lost window we will consider replacing them individually with hurricane windows.
It is amazing to see reactions of people during these events. We are 50-60 feet above sea level and not in a flood zone. Debby dumped 20 inches of rain in about 36 hours and no problems. There were some flooded roads near us and some folks (not in out neigborhood but near by). People in our neighborhood are still asking if they should have flood insurance.
I was also away during Ian which devastated areas south of us and an a hole told my wife "you were damn lucky". Not we were damn lucky but you.

I have hurricane windows on my ocean condo in north florida.

I didn't have to buy them. They are solid

I have hurricane windows on my ocean condo in north florida.

I didn't have to buy them. They are solid
If we were on the coast I may have reconsidered among other things. Interestingly, the contractor I talked to put his shutters on.😀 This storm will be an interesting side by side. He lives a couple doors away. My number one concern us losing power.

If we were on the coast I may have reconsidered among other things. Interestingly, the contractor I talked to put his shutters on.😀 This storm will be an interesting side by side. He lives a couple doors away. My number one concern us losing power.

The problem with my place is there is no place for the water to go. So it builds up on the balcony. Could be up to 6 inches there as it gets pushed up.

The thrshold is about 4 inches. So condo on 8th floor could still get flooding

The problem with my place is there is no place for the water to go. So it builds up on the balcony. Could be up to 6 inches there as it gets pushed up.

The thrshold is about 4 inches. So condo on 8th floor could still get flooding
This storm seems to be more wind and storm surge not as much rain as Debby.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT