ADVERTISEMENT

Huskies coach very nearly gave the game away.

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Huskies recover the onside kick, they're up by 6, they can run the clock out to within maybe 10 seconds if they just go to V formation. But their coach has them keep handing off the ball to the tailback to crash into the TX line -- why? Chance of 1st down is extremely low, and it's risking fumble and injury. So the back hurts his foot (which will also cost them next week btw), injury timeout, so clock stops and TX basically ends up with 30 seconds they wouldn't have had!

Just amazing to see coaches at this level not understand endgame. Only two things matter in that situation -- keeping possession and keeping the clock running. It's so simple even I can understand it.

Huskies recover the onside kick, they're up by 6, they can run the clock out to within maybe 10 seconds if they just go to V formation. But their coach has them keep handing off the ball to the tailback to crash into the TX line -- why? Chance of 1st down is extremely low, and it's risking fumble and injury. So the back hurts his foot (which will also cost them next week btw), injury timeout, so clock stops and TX basically ends up with 30 seconds they wouldn't have had!

Just amazing to see coaches at this level not understand endgame. Only two things matter in that situation -- keeping possession and keeping the clock running. It's so simple even I can understand it.
Kinda like being 9 points down and choosing between a FG from the 4 or going for a TD on 4th down….the decision by Sark. I guess I don’t have to wonder if he would have gone for 2, down by 9 at that moment if he’d just scored a TD. Played to keep the game alive.

Yup. That decision to avoid the victory formation may cost them next week.

Dillon Johnson’s status is unknown for next week. He still might play.

Before that, they recovered a fumble and got the ball back up 13 with 12 minutes left in the game and ran a trick play that didn't work, had a pass broken up with DPI then proceeded to throw 3 more passes, which gained 0 yards, and punted. They burnt less than 90 seconds of clock.

Before that, they recovered a fumble and got the ball back up 13 with 12 minutes left in the game and ran a trick play that didn't work, had a pass broken up with DPI then proceeded to throw 3 more passes, which gained 0 yards, and punted. They burnt less than 90 seconds of clock.
Washington has a good offense but as much as I hate to say it I see Michigan absolutely pounding them with the running game. Washington will score some points. Solid OL, Odunze great player, good QB, TE and two other receivers who will get drafted. Michigan too balanced and much better defensively although I will say McCarthy has accuracy issues.

Reactions: Ski
I didn't watch the game nor have I seen much of Washington this season. Do they have the defensive lineman to stop the heavy run package of Michigan? I am concerned that they will wear out the huskies defense all the while wasting alot of game clock.

Everyone knows if Michigan needs to slow down the game, they will run, run, and run some more.

Washington has a good offense but as much as I hate to say it I see Michigan absolutely pounding them with the running game. Washington will score some points. Solid OL, Odunze great player, good QB, TE and two other receivers who will get drafted. Michigan too balanced and much better defensively although I will say McCarthy has accuracy issues.

Bama had a good defensive game vs Michigan. They didn't shut Corum down, but he was held in check until overtime. If Washington has any chance of winning, they will have to do the same. Michigan doesn't have a strong WR group, but they are scrappers who don't give up and JJ throws catchable, well placed passes.

I just don't see it happening for Washington. I think the NC game was in the Rose Bowl. It just seems like it is Michigan's year. Bama had that game and of all programs, Bama and Saban basically could not make the clutch play. And it was their defense that lost it at the end. Sure the last Bama play was atrocious but I really think Mich wins that even if Bama scores there. Look at what Mich came back from....a missed PAT, a missed FG, fumbled punt. And they did it versus the most clutch team and successful big game coaches in the history of the game. They exorcised all those demons from Schmuckbechler losing the Rose Bowls and more recently losing the last two semi finals they were in. No injuries to speak of, playing with so much confidence. They just know how to win by making winning plays in crunch time. It pains me to write this but it is looking all Maize and Blue. Would take an uncharacteristicly poor game by Michigan combined with Penix and those receivers being scolding hot. Highly doubt we see that.

Reactions: MacNit2.0 and Ski

Sounds like Franklin in-game coaching. Except Franklin’s teams do follow through and blows the game!

Reactions: psuno1
Bama had a good defensive game vs Michigan. They didn't shut Corum down, but he was held in check until overtime. If Washington has any chance of winning, they will have to do the same. Michigan doesn't have a strong WR group, but they are scrappers who don't give up and JJ throws catchable, well placed passes.
Agreed. and UM was killing Alabama everywhere but the score at halftime. They also missed an extra point and a medium-difficulty FG. it was a game won by defense, not offense.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yep. Should have lost. QB knee is all that was needed to run it down to about 10 seconds. Instead the Horns got 50 secs.
Must have been watching Cristobal from the U on how to lose a game that was won.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT