ADVERTISEMENT

I am tired of people putting a ceiling

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
on this team. It's always Penn State is very good, not great, etc. What I saw yesterday is the kind of game that great teams win on their off day, and very good teams usually lose. We may look at this game as fondly as our 1994 Illinois game if the season turns out how I think it will. Record aside, USC has top-tier talent. This is a game they had to have at home. We played our B-/C+ game, fell behind 2 TDs at the half, trailed in the 4th and still won after traveling 3000 miles or so. This team has a little something we haven't seen for a while. The main weakness I see is not finishing drives in the first half. If the coaches can figure that out and we continue to improve each week this team will be close to unbeatable.

Until we prove we can beat an elite team, which USC is not, there's going to be doubt
When you keep moving the goal post, then we will never beat an elite team. Ask the players what their opinion of U$C is. U$C really could be undefeated right now, and if we had lost to them, you'd then be using them as an example of how we can't beat an elite team. Penn State beats Iowa last year 31 - 0, but apparently doing that so convincingly against a 10-win team is NOT an example of beating an elite team.

Reactions: royboy
When you keep moving the goal post, then we will never beat an elite team. Ask the players what their opinion of U$C is. U$C really could be undefeated right now, and if we had lost to them, you'd then be using them as an example of how we can't beat an elite team. Penn State beats Iowa last year 31 - 0, but apparently doing that so convincingly against a 10-win team is NOT an example of beating an elite team.
We beat an unranked 3-2 team on the road who lost the previous week to Minnesota. Not elite by any definition.
If we lost to USC I would have said if was us failing against a team we should beat as I said all week leading up to the game.
No Iowa was not elite
Elite is title contender to be clear

Last edited:
Reactions: bdroc
We can be happy with a win without pretending it means more than it does

Allar is now free
Warren was used as a primary weapon
We found a kicker
We now know we can come back when trailing
We now know Drew can lead a 4th TD drive when needed

We learned a lot but USC isn't elite by any definition. They're 5-7 in their last 12 I believe. Excluding scrimmages

on this team. It's always Penn State is very good, not great, etc. What I saw yesterday is the kind of game that great teams win on their off day, and very good teams usually lose. We may look at this game as fondly as our 1994 Illinois game if the season turns out how I think it will. Record aside, USC has top-tier talent. This is a game they had to have at home. We played our B-/C+ game, fell behind 2 TDs at the half, trailed in the 4th and still won after traveling 3000 miles or so. This team has a little something we haven't seen for a while. The main weakness I see is not finishing drives in the first half. If the coaches can figure that out and we continue to improve each week this team will be close to unbeatable.
Nobody is putting a ceiling on this team. People are just giving their predictions based on what we've seen so far.

It's great that we're 6-0. We were also 6-0 last year and finished 10-2. The same could happen again this year but with USC in the rear view mirror and OSU the only remaining elite opponent there's a reasonable chance of 11-1. I personally don't see us beating OSU.

So far we beat:
(3-3) WVa 34-12
(2-4) BGSU 34-27
(0-6) Kent State 56-0
(5-1) Illinois 21-7 (Purdue just took them to OT)
(1-5) UCLA 27-11
(3-3) USC 33-30 (OT)

USC is 3 plays away from being 6-0 and they are loaded with 4* talent. IMO that was a big win on the road. But has our body of work convinced me that we're likely to run the table? No. I think we're a bit weak at LB, S, and WR and the run game has been inconsistent. I'll be happy if we can finish 11-1 and get a home playoff game.

We did when we had to, though. At USC has been a house of horrors for us, historically.
I think USC came into that game knowing
Nobody is putting a ceiling on this team. People are just giving their predictions based on what we've seen so far.

It's great that we're 6-0. We were also 6-0 last year and finished 10-2. The same could happen again this year but with USC in the rear view mirror and OSU the only remaining elite opponent there's a reasonable chance of 11-1. I personally don't see us beating OSU.

So far we beat:
(3-3) WVa 34-12
(2-4) BGSU 34-27
(0-6) Kent State 56-0
(1-5) UCLA 27-11
(3-3) USC 33-30 (OT)

USC is 3 plays away from being 6-0 and they are loaded with 4* talent. IMO that was a big win on the road. But has our body of work convinced me that we're likely to run the table? No. I think we're a bit weak at LB, S, and WR and the run game has been inconsistent. I'll be happy if we can finish 11-1 and get a home playoff game.
I think Wisconsin, Washington and OSU are all difficult opponents with of course OSU being the most difficult because of their talent/depth at almost every position.

Reactions: psu00
Almost every game moving forward is a big game. On paper, there are potentially two big games left. OSU and potentially the Big Ten championship.

That said, every game is a big game from here on out. Wisconsin is finally firing much like the historical Wisconsin. This isn't a gimmie by any stretch. MN will be a very tough contest too. Most of us remember the nonsense that MN can bring to a PSU matchup.....

One game at a time defines their ceiling. Fans don't.

Almost every game moving forward is a big game. On paper, there are potentially two big games left. OSU and potentially the Big Ten championship.

That said, every game is a big game from here on out. Wisconsin is finally firing much like the historical Wisconsin. This isn't a gimmie by any stretch. MN will be a very tough contest too. Most of us remember the nonsense that MN can bring to a PSU matchup.....

One game at a time defines their ceiling. Fans don't.
I forgot about away @ Minnesota, that is no easy game.

I’ll take another 63-14 beat down of OSU. :)
I honestly believe that game turned the B1G powers and leadership against us. For decades following that game and great season the officiating was turned against us. I think that suppression has only lessened somewhat recently as we are worth big tv contract dollars for the B1G.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
There is no ceiling for this team, we just need to clean some things up. We are all excited and want our team to win so badly, as a fanbase we are ready. One game at a time, OSU is beatable this year @ Happy Valley. While we have some weaknesses in certain areas, our running game and our ability to keep the clock moving is definitely helping to hide some of that. Limiting a team like OSU to a lesser amount of possessions (their wide receivers are a mismatch) bodes well for us. We have to put the ball in the end zone, keep the clock moving, not give up turnovers, and stop them for one possession more than they stop us.

If Allar has 3 INT’s vs OSU, we are toast. If we manage the ball well and the clock we will win this year.

Everything people say about PSU is what we have earned. We have started 5 -0 or better many times only to lose the big games. Under Franklin, it the same old PSU. Until we dont win the big games, why would anyone expect different. We created that opinion and belief.

USC is a talented team but not elite. They are solid with talent in key positions. It was a good away win for PSU but lets not oversell it. Look at the records of who we beat posted above. They suck with the exception of Ill. You can build them up all you want but they are all shitty teams.

PSU will make the playoffs this year barring a colllapse. The only reason PSU makes the playoff is the playoffs criteria changed and that is moving the goal posts.

In the Little Game James era, we are a top 9-15 team. Good but no even close to elite.

I would like PSU to destroy OSU and Michigan and win a championship. With the current coaching situation, it more than likely wont happen and I base this off the last 11 years.

So far we beat:
(3-3) WVa 34-12
(2-4) BGSU 34-27
(0-6) Kent State 56-0
(1-5) UCLA 27-11
(3-3) USC 33-30 (OT)

lol you never see psu beating anyone. All you did was praise USC prior to the game now we can’t beat Ohio state.

So far we beat:
(3-3) WVa 34-12
(2-4) BGSU 34-27
(0-6) Kent State 56-0
(1-5) UCLA 27-11
(3-3) USC 33-30 (OT)

The media is absolutely putting a ceiling on us. We are to make the playoff and bow out game 1 or lose to Georgia or Texas in round 2.
All talking heads I've seen have said we are merely very good, like they know already what we can be. They all have Texas on a pedestal now, with Oregon, Ohio State and Georgia above us at a minimum. David Pollack at least did say that very good night play for a national title this year.

It's OK to temper expectations, but crapping on a team that just won under less than ideal circumstances on the road seems unnecessary.

I feel like all the pieces are there where if this team plays it's A game there won't be many teams that can beat us.

I don't see the '85 Bears out there. Any team can be beaten this year. I am not convinced Ohio State's assemblage of mercenaries is necessarily a better team than what they've had. I think our defense is about as good as any and we have an offense that can score on anyone. I see no reason we can't beat them. But everybody's conceding this one already. Ok

I think my annoyance goes back to 1986 when everyone just knew Miami was going to win.

Reactions: 84Lion
It took Pitt 44 years to go 5-0. Psu goes 6-0 and Danielson and the village idiot and troll on this board have to chime in. Smh.

The media is absolutely putting a ceiling on us. We are to make the playoff and bow out game 1 or lose to Georgia or Texas in round 2.
All talking heads I've seen have said we are merely very good, like they know already what we can be. They all have Texas on a pedestal now, with Oregon, Ohio State and Georgia above us at a minimum. David Pollack at least did say that very good night play for a national title this year.

It's OK to temper expectations, but crapping on a team that just won under less than ideal circumstances on the road seems unnecessary.

I feel like all the pieces are there where if this team plays it's A game there won't be many teams that can beat us.

I don't see the '85 Bears out there. Any team can be beaten this year. I am not convinced Ohio State's assemblage of mercenaries is necessarily a better team than what they've had. I think our defense is about as good as any and we have an offense that can score on anyone. I see no reason we can't beat them. But everybody's conceding this one already. Ok

I think my annoyance goes back to 1986 when everyone just knew Miami was going to win.
Wait--as of today--do you think we'd beat Texas? Or Georgia or Ohio State or Oregon?
We are very good but we haven't shown that we're elite yet. Our best win is Illinois at home. Oregon played Ohio State and it was a 1 point game. Texas-Georgia play this week (I think). Once we play Ohio State we'll get that kind of respect if we earn it.
1986 was different--especially with how we beat Bama
We'll know soon if we're a contender for a title or just to make the playoff

Wait--as of today--do you think we'd beat Texas? Or Georgia or Ohio State or Oregon?
We are very good but we haven't shown that we're elite yet. Our best win is Illinois at home. Oregon played Ohio State and it was a 1 point game. Texas-Georgia play this week (I think). Once we play Ohio State we'll get that kind of respect if we earn it.

On queue

????????? Now you're able to play anybody you want regardless of what the Conference officially schedules???? Okay, whatever you say troll-boy. LMAO. Bama struggles mightily against 3 unranked bad teams the last 3 weeks (losing to one of them), but PSU should blowout everyone they play home or away????

????????? Now you're able to play anybody you want regardless of what the Conference officially schedules???? Okay, whatever you say troll-boy. LMAO. Bama struggles mightily against 3 unranked bad teams the last 3 weeks (losing to one of them), but PSU should blowout everyone they play home or away????
What are you talking about?
We could have schedule a good opponent in our non-conference slate if we wanted to but....
BAMA BEAT GEORGIA
Yes, I think Bama is ranked too high and we should be ahead of them but THEY BEAT GEORGIA--that will carry them
When did I ever say we need to blowout everyone--I wasn't even upset about BGSU when most were freaking out
I haven't complained about anything other than the slow start vs Kent State

What are you talking about?
We could have schedule a good opponent in our non-conference slate if we wanted to but....
BAMA BEAT GEORGIA
Yes, I think Bama is ranked too high and we should be ahead of them but THEY BEAT GEORGIA--that will carry them
When did I ever say we need to blowout everyone--I wasn't even upset about BGSU when most were freaking out
I haven't complained about anything other than the slow start vs Kent State

Complete know nothing douche troll, knew I shouldn't have taken you off ignore. Buh-bye asshole.

Georgia who lost to Bama(who lost to Vandy) and almost USCe and barely escaped 3-3 Kentucky.

The Oregon team who beat UCLA by a similar margin as us. Who only beat Boise by 3. Who struggled mightily against Idaho.

Ya OSU seemed unbeatable but they always do and we usually play them tough.

This year we are probably closest to the “top” as we have been since the 90s

We definitely have a ceiling - great culture...sure. But Franklin doesn't recruit top 5 classes every year. More like 10-15. Look at our next 2 receiver classes Hagans is bringing in...(hint: they suck). between 10-15 level and 10-15 level coaching -- I don't see this team ever being a national championship contender with Franklin there.

• Haha
Reactions: knickslions
What do you expect from a troll?

Moron boy thinks you can pick to play whoever you like..... or actually he doesn't, he's just a Richard-head f-tard. So let me get this straight, Bama should be rewarded for playing 3 straight unranked teams down to the wire - losing to one of them, but PSU should be penalized for their "schedule" which they have little control of???? Bozo-bot is such a POS troll it isn't even funny.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
That’s why they play the games. Enjoy the team’s success. If you allow other people to govern your life, you’re headed for disappointment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT